PDA

View Full Version : Laptop issues

Nymphette79
08-01-09, 12:08
I have got a Compaq nx9005 (dont laugh, it was free) which I believe has a 10g hd & 256 mem so can I play NC on this & what do I need to upgrade it to.

TIA
xxx

nabbl
08-01-09, 12:19
u cannot upgrade a laptop... except maybe the ram.

but nc will never run on your machine. u should try to get a new one.. :-)

Jaffo
08-01-09, 12:28
on most laptops you can upgrade the HD and RAM although i think thier are limits.

I just upgraded my laptop from 256 mb RAM to 2Gig as this is the most i could put in. I can upgrade the HD if i want but thats it.

so it may be possilbe, just google it thats what i did, it should tell you what you can and cant do etc.

Nymphette79
08-01-09, 12:39
Thats all I meant by upgrading, friend said I can do it externally & that should make it able to run NC & WoW if I was interested, so was he just bullshitting me??

Will be gutted if I can't play with it :(

nabbl
08-01-09, 12:56
first of all..

- you have to open the CASE of the laptop to exchange RAM or Harddisc.
- opening the case could be dangerous for your guarantee options.
- you have to know what you do. RAM is sometimes hidden beneath the harddisc or CD-Rom-Drive.
- you have to get the exact specifications of the RAM you are using at the moment. maybe its too old for really enhancing the potential of your notebook.

At the end it doesnt really matter if you upgrade your RAM or HD. Your CPU and GPU will be that slow, that Neocron wont even start.

Got an old Dell Latitude with 512 MB Ram, Pentium III Core und an onboard graphic (think yours is similar to that). Neocron isnt working!

There are PCs at Ebay which can run Neocron smoothly for less than 300$

L0KI
08-01-09, 13:18
first of all..

- you have to open the CASE of the laptop to exchange RAM or Harddisc.

You mean like a PC? :rolleyes:
To change RAM or the HDD Tia, is normally 4 screws each. If you turn your laptop upside down, you will probably notice two compartments that can be unscrewed. This is the case on 90% of laptops. These will be both the RAM and the HD.

It's got 256mb of RAM and a 10GB HD. Do you really think it's still under guarantee?

- you have to know what you do. RAM is sometimes hidden beneath the harddisc or CD-Rom-Drive.

Very unlikely on a Compaq. It's normally very easy to access.

- you have to get the exact specifications of the RAM you are using at the moment. maybe its too old for really enhancing the potential of your notebook.

This is true, but that's not a stopping point. Turn your laptop over again, and post the exact model number, I'll let you know what RAM you need.

At the end it doesnt really matter if you upgrade your RAM or HD. Your CPU and GPU will be that slow, that Neocron wont even start.

Got an old Dell Latitude with 512 MB Ram, Pentium III Core und an onboard graphic (think yours is similar to that). Neocron isnt working!

My old laptop, which has onboard graphics, 2.2ghz CELERON and 512mb of RAM runs NC no problem.

The biggest problem is the CPU. NC is quite demanding on that. What's the CPU of the laptop. If you aren't sure how to check, right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Properties'. It should tell you the CPU under 'System'.

That laptop may not be a lost cause, and RAM is generally pretty cheap.

Nidhogg
08-01-09, 13:26
It comes with one 256MB module installed and has one free slot. You can upgrade it to a max of 1GB by removing the existing module and fitting two 512MB modules - they cost about 40 bucks a piece.

Processor is an Athlon XP-Mobile 2400+ which isn't all that bad for its vintage.

However...

It's probably got an ATI Radeon IGP 320M graphics subsystem which is where you might have a problem. I believe this only has 64MB of video memory which it actually shares with your main RAM (meaning it doesn't really have any "on-board" video memory at all).

I doubt that's going to work but if you're willing to risk picking up a 512MB module and giving it a go it wouldn't do any harm (except to your pocket if it doesn't work).

N

Jaffo
08-01-09, 13:50
It comes with one 256MB module installed and has one free slot. You can upgrade it to a max of 1GB by removing the existing module and fitting two 512MB modules - they cost about 40 bucks a piece.

N

i got 2 gig of laptop ram for 20 quid of ebuyer!

chaning the ram is easy even i can do , as others said turn it upside down and unscrew

i googled mine and i manaed to find a guide and photos of what to do lol and i think if you go onto the kingston website it will tell you what ram you can use.

i think!

L0KI
08-01-09, 14:00
It's probably got an ATI Radeon IGP 320M graphics subsystem which is where you might have a problem. I believe this only has 64MB of video memory which it actually shares with your main RAM (meaning it doesn't really have any "on-board" video memory at all).

Yeah, that'd be the problem, then. :(

There are external video cards, but they're very expensive.

Nymphette79
08-01-09, 14:18
POO

Firstly unscrewing would mean the purchase of a screwdriver, I can change a plug with a knife but thats as far as my handy skills go.

Secondly, there was me innocently thinking that I could do all this using USB lol

Thirdly, im a big hater of lag, I tend to be a - push as many buttons as possible until it starts again then get angry when it starts going thru all the commands i've just thrown at it kind of person

Oh well guess i'll just have to stick to my old growling desktop, my 4 yr old can use laptop to enhance his Computer Literacy as apparently he can guide a person thru a maze destroying obstacles but can't cut & paste lol.
Maybe the money tree will blossom in the spring

Thanks for all ur opinions anyways
xxx

Kalonji Faya
08-01-09, 14:33

N

nah, if its a radeon IGP, it has its own memory ^^ unlike intel graphics, sis graphics, s3, and all those shitty integrated gpu, ATI IGP and nvidia GO mobile video chipset have their own memory ^^

but if it has only 64mb, then it could be a problem :(

kalonji

Biglines
08-01-09, 17:38
not all ati have their own memory, my old lenove (back when it was ibm) had an ati with shared memory

flib
08-01-09, 17:59
I have got a Compaq nx9005 (dont laugh, it was free) which I believe has a 10g hd & 256 mem so can I play NC on this & what do I need to upgrade it to.

TIA
xxx
http://www.geocline.net/miscimages/Over9000_small.jpg

Also, my Compaq has it's ram beneath the keyboard. There are little tabs at the top that keep it in place. See if your's has anything like that and if so, the ram may be under there, probably not though.

zii
08-01-09, 22:42
first of all..
-
Opening your laptop won't void your warrenty. Anyway, I doubt the laptop in question still has one.

I resurrected my old Dell Latidtue CPx yesterday (Pentium / 384Mb RAM / 5Gb hard disc). I had Win2K on it and took some ten mins to boot and 5 mins to shutdown. When up it was a painful beast. I installed two different Linux distos onto it: Damn Small Linux and Puppy Linux. I stuck with Puppy because I think JWM is great (Joe's Window Manager) (ONly root user access is rather daft). However, to boot and start windows takes 58 seconds. It has the usual SeaMonkey / abiword and OpenOffice on it along with everything else required for surfing email flash editing photos and listening to music. Class. It won't play NC ...

10-01-09, 23:31
If you want to find out what the RAM is you can scan you system here:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/index.aspx?cpe=CHAWKuk

This will also give you the crucial part number if you wanted to order Crucial RAM

aKe`cj
11-01-09, 00:07
Opening your laptop won't void your warrenty. ...

would be hard to use it properly otherwise - I usually open mine for typing :p

btt: I'd save the money you'd pay for the RAM and get a cheapo 15.4" inch.
Also, the market for used hardware or sell outs will see a nice boost as businesses go tits up in the oncoming months :D :(