PDA

View Full Version : Was thinking of coming back...

Melkior
23-12-08, 12:50
...but 19 out of 20 times I try to select a character, the screen goes black and stops responding.

I'm running the following:

Athlon 64 X2 4600+
ATI x1900xtx
2GB RAM
plenty of HDD space

Anyone got any ideas?

I've tried disabling one of the cores on my CPU but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

SilentEye
23-12-08, 13:20
Odd, is this a clean install of NC? Perhaps that's what's needed.

Does it go black after the synch screen? It might be a graphical issue instead of an NC issue.

Update your video drivers? Go back to a pervious Direct X?

is it Vista? Make sure folder rights are OK. Try Windows XP compatibility mode. Is it the original game folder or did you change it?

Just throwing the ball here :D

I'm running Vista, same processor as you, nvidia 9800 GT KO 2GB RAM 800MhZ, no problemo at all!

Melkior
23-12-08, 15:21
Odd, is this a clean install of NC? Perhaps that's what's needed.

Freshly installed and updated this morning

Does it go black after the synch screen? It might be a graphical issue instead of an NC issue.

Nope, it goes straight to black, no synch or anything, on the times it does get in, it synchs within a couple of seconds

Update your video drivers? Go back to a pervious Direct X?

Got latest catalyst, can't be arsed to faff around with older ones to check it =P

is it Vista? Make sure folder rights are OK. Try Windows XP compatibility mode. Is it the original game folder or did you change it?

Just throwing the ball here :D

I'm running Vista, same processor as you, nvidia 9800 GT KO 2GB RAM 800MhZ, no problemo at all!

nope, running XP.

The wierd thing is how it works occasionally, and when it does, no probs at all

Mishakal
31-12-08, 14:37
well well look who it is :p

was just browsing through forums thinking of signing back up to see how the game was....

SilentEye
31-12-08, 15:46
Did you get to solve your problems yet? I can't really think of anything else that may be of solution.

silent000
31-12-08, 17:02
Do you have Norton or any other firewall in place?

NAPPER
31-12-08, 18:32
do u play with Vista could be admin rights maybe

Melkior
03-01-09, 01:06
well... i swapped routers, and it seems to be working ok *touch wood*

o2 router sucks =/

Hey Mish, how goes it? haven't seen you on MSN in ages (possibly because I haven't been on :lol: )

HOG
03-01-09, 01:35
hi melkior. I hope this helps. My PC has the same problems. It is because I can ONLY play neocron with older ATI catalyst drivers. I have a radeon x800xt. I also have the exact same problem with my other PC. I have to literally go through old drivers one by one until I find the one driver that will allow me to play neocron. The card on that pc is also in the radeon x family. Its really irritating but you only have to go through it once. Some drivers wont even let me open neocron, others let me get through the login screen but as soon as the characters are displayed it crashes. I suspect you have the same problem as me ...maybe ;)

CMaster
03-01-09, 14:32
I also get the same problem.
I can tell you that it is VERY dependent on video driver version. Some are much worse than others.
The only way I can avoid having to power down the PC is by ctrl-alt-del and then using the task manager on a second monitor. Memorising keyboard patterns may also work.

unreal
04-01-09, 01:46
I always created a little one line batch file containing tskill Client to kill the Neocron process and created a shortcut to it, which I could then use to assign a keyboard shortcut (I always preferred Alt + `). Going down Cmasters path of memorizing keypresses may require luck if you have activity in the background that reorders the process list, and navigating across menus and tabs with a keyboard can sometimes be painful even if you can see what you're doing. In a slightly more foolproof way, you could manually perform the same action as my batch file. Use your Windows key and press the up arrow a couple of times and press Enter, to open the Run window from the Start Menu. Then type in tskill Client and press Enter, or if it's the last command you've entered, just press Enter again.