PDA

View Full Version : Nc2 Status as of December 2008, Revival Idea thread

Sydalesis
15-12-08, 22:10
Ok instead of posting a long rant i'll get to the point without being too negative.

So neocron population dissapeared after nc2, this is obvious.

We were promised a patch but i know kk is busy with bp.

KK seems to be confusing everyone with all the payment messups.

AFAIK this game is only 20$ for license or something and no monthly fee.

How hard would it be to revive the population so that when i play on off peak theres more than 5 runners online ?

Cant people go in every forum out there and try to sell this game as some kind of fallout 3 mmo with high standards, so we get KK some more money and a viable population so that people dont get bored like me, because i have played on pluto with 650 other runners, it's hard to see 80 players in peak times now.

Id like to get some KK input if possible on the future of neocron, any patches coming ? any plans for this game once BP is out ? I find every single mmo out there to be completely retarded compared to neocron.

Id love to revive terra with a rp clan because this game has the best roleplaying elements in any game period, the possibilitys are infinite, but thers not enough players to have a decent active playerbase.

Im trying to stay positive because i could obviously say this game is dead and will never live again but i still have hope. I am completely frustrated by the lack of patches to fix the nc2 messups and the lack of runners in offpeak.

Where should i start ? should i even bother? Is it possible to revive terra at least with 500 new players ? I am dead serious about this as i have been frustrated for years now.

Cant we start advertising this game as a 20$ post apoc mmo with no monthly fee ? i have 2 accounts and never been charged monthly but KK seems to say they do... cant KK be more clear and fix all that and maybe make it more official, or simply make this game f2p once and for all so that it picks up again ?

Help me please we need to revive the city of Neocron.

Thanks to KK and the playerbase for sticking around, i still have high hopes and you can count me in for nc in space aka bp but this game is still very actual and has very high standards compared to 2008 mmo's that dont cut it.

please post ideas, comments, ways we could achieve this and id love some KK input, please keep it clean i tried to stay positive and not bash/hate too much.

Sydalesis
15-12-08, 22:11
as a first idea i think we should try to appeal to the fallout 3 crowd and the tabula rasa crowd, this could bring the 500 players we need to make the game alive again, just my 2 cents.

Barnabas
15-12-08, 23:47
as a first idea i think we should try to appeal to the fallout 3 crowd and the tabula rasa crowd, this could bring the 500 players we need to make the game alive again, just my 2 cents.

I think, thats a good idea! What Neocron really needs is much more advertisement. I´m new at N2 and that´s only because I never heard about Neocron before. I found Neocron by accindent and that after I was looking years for a good MMORPG, that has a kind of Shadowrunsetting. If there were more advertisement, I´d surely start playing N2 years ago.

Neallys
16-12-08, 14:25
I would love to say I agree, but this thread just look like a desperated one.

You sure would get people with only 20$ subscription fee.
I don't know about advertising to specific people (ie: Fallout3, TB.)

L0KI
16-12-08, 14:30
All it would take, and the answer to all of the problems:

REGULAR UPDATES

In every form. Game updates, community updates from KK directly, ANY updates.

It's been said countless times, and I'm fed up of saying it now.

I have so much respect for KK, that I'm often blinded by it. I just hope they improve their communication abilities in time for BP.

Sydalesis
16-12-08, 14:52
My biggest gripe is all the payment messups, i cant even get YOU guys to confirm me that nc only requires a license these days to play, and has no monthly fee.

If i could get an official statement i could start advertising but i feel uncertain about all this.

Direct links

Fallout 3 forums

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showforum=32

TR forums

http://eu.rgtr.com/en/community/forums

www.mmorpg.com

etc

Hey Neallys , why does it sound so desperate to go back to a viable population ? Have you ever played neocron with 500 other runners online ?

I would be happy if kk sold 500 neocron licenses.

I am sure that if the game picked up again the regular updates would as well, especially once bp is out the door , and it's 2009 soon :).

I would rather sound desperate but at least try, then let this gem die out even more.

Do your part, talk about the game on other forums , etc.

Scarus
16-12-08, 16:03
Well L0KI hit the nail on the head, I've been a fan of NC since way back when but I couldn't continue justifying paying for something which was becoming an enigma.

I'm back now to check out the community but nothing had changed since the last time I was around, the community is still the only thing which keeps this game going. You know that, I know that and even KK know that with their "Join the community!" message whilst exiting NC which always raises a smile from me.

This is a bit of a shady area because if anyone comes to this forum advertising another game I wouldn't be suprised if the thread was closed almost instantly; there is a very fine line between suggesting it to other people and spam.

Plus they will need to speak first hand to previous NC player before they could get their head around it. The main website still gives the impression they charge monthly, the launcher does exactly the same. There is no main feed of news describing where the company is heading or what their mission now is. My closest friend is quite clued in with NC developments, I chat about it from time to time with him and I still only really know one main point.

KK are making Black Prophecy.

I know there is so much speculation about what will happen once BP has been released, maybe the success of BP can be used to jump start life back into NC. Now excuse me if I've missed an important or relevant official post regarding this but can you really see that happening? Just my opinion but why would KK use money they'd be finally generating through a successful (hopefully) project to fund one which has already lived it's life.

If they want to bring NC back and make it successful they need to start completely fresh. I think it would take sitting down with nothing but notes for the first few months before deciding which direction to take it. They would need to launch entirely new advertising campaigns, staying well away from their previous attempts, let everyone know it's F2P and make the game seamless.

Right now we're still sitting on the cusp of the old NC engine and the newly implemented models and it looks hideous. Yes the new models have better animations, higher res textures and more customisation but it's like a patchwork quilt when I would love nothing more than for NC1 to be how it was.

We're talking models who looks pretty rough and badass despite being 'graphically' primitive; a selection of weapons which make sense up until the penultimate rare weapons which all had comparitive counterparts which they could be combatted with, I haven't played much since WoC but as far as I see it's a timesink and the LAST thing NC needs is a timesink; enough freedom and an amazing setting to encourage RP passively and OP wars which would keep you sitting up 3am in the morning with a racing heart because you just got away from that GenTank's 5 slotted CS.

New players need a chance to experience this, this was what made NC great and the is the reason why most people I know still cling to this game. To get new players to stay we'd have to let them experience this, it's a catch 22 I'll admit but when the player base was strong even players like ITAK-MAN kept me logging on to be chased over 3 zones before hiding in TH from him.

Sorry for the ramble, I just miss Neocron.

L0KI
16-12-08, 17:59
Not seen you on here in ages Scarus! :)

The legendary ITAK MAN! I'll never forget that guy.

As for your ramble; it's one of the most sensible and non-biased posts I've read on this forum for a very long time, and I completely agree with every word of it.

/respect.

Nytewolf2k7
16-12-08, 20:39
Regular Updates and an overhaul of the graphics and netcode would greatly help towards resurrecting the game. As it stands now its on Life Support.

Biglines
16-12-08, 21:11
the crashes are supposed to be mostly because using an outdated engine, totally modified til exhaustion, and will not be fixed any time soon cuz no1 atm knows anything about it anymore (afaik most was done by external companies), so in order to fix everything, a new start from 0 would be more feasible, which wud be like nc3

the payment afaik is: everything works except paypal, because paypal doesn't work with insolvent companies, which is the fallout of being part of the mothercompany failing, so this is the reason why the other payment providers arent billed either because it would be unfair, soon as paypal re-opens, payment will start again

and the patch: there is no communication between kk and the community, so in the remote case they actually are working on it, it'll prolly be nothing anyone wants, and announced 2 days before, in the most likely case it's just a promise which isn't going to happen cause no1 bothers to even confirm anything

nobby
17-12-08, 00:52
I've tried so many times to get the community of Neocron giving eachother ideas on where to advertise, spam game forums, Make the game seen, but noone in the end seems to give a shit, and still I've always paid my subscription fee to KK in the hope i'm helping them ever so little.
But it doesn't help when i login to find only five people...

I tried my best with "Word of Mouth" to friends and also Family.

I'd say only two out of twenty who i got to download the game, actually stayed for more than a month after.

The main reason for leaving as i would be told is:
1. God the graphics are fucked up... oh what? they're meant to be shit?
2. Why the fuck can't i move, is it still loading? wtf is "synchronising"?
3. I prefer runescape WAY better to this, why? Because when i play runescape, it doesn't feel like a single player game.

I've tried my best.

Personally, Should Nobby get rich soon, I would Buy the rights of Neocron just for the sake of it. I've always wanted to help this game, but noone wants to help themselves.

I tried...

ancient
17-12-08, 01:05
I've tried so many times to get the community of Neocron giving eachother ideas on where to advertise, spam game forums, Make the game seen, but noone in the end seems to give a shit, and still I've always paid my subscription fee to KK in the hope i'm helping them ever so little.
But it doesn't help when i login to find only five people...

I tried my best with "Word of Mouth" to friends and also Family.

I'd say only two out of twenty who i got to download the game, actually stayed for more than a month after.

The main reason for leaving as i would be told is:
1. God the graphics are fucked up... oh what? they're meant to be shit?
2. Why the fuck can't i move, is it still loading? wtf is "synchronising"?
3. I prefer runescape WAY better to this, why? Because when i play runescape, it doesn't feel like a single player game.

I've tried my best.

Personally, Should Nobby get rich soon, I would Buy the rights of Neocron just for the sake of it. I've always wanted to help this game, but noone wants to help themselves.

I tried...kk wont sell the rights .. my friend's game company has had a serious attempt at buying it off them and they wouldn't even reply to him

Biglines
17-12-08, 14:23
that's prolly cuz they have an innate inability to communicate (except for the community people, but KK won't communicate with them either as far as i can tell..)

Crazypsifookar
17-12-08, 16:56
they should advertize on This websote or eveyone should join forums on this site and say how good neocron is if it gets better ranking then it will been seen by more poeple the site is

WWW.MMORPG.COM (http://www.MMORPG.COM)

Biglines
17-12-08, 19:41
like nobby said, it might give a few people a month to play, then they leave cuz let's face it, the concept is what's keeping it alive, the game (as in the software) and communication just plain sux

her.
17-12-08, 22:41
LOL U guys still think a patch or update or ANYTHIN for that matta is goin to come to Neocron EVER??? HAHAHHAHHA yeah.........sure.

Serah Logan
17-12-08, 23:03
NC may still stand a chance - but there are already games coming out that mimic many aspects of Neocron. One in particular that I can think of has lots of former NC players waiting for its release. I know this because I have seen their posts in the forums.

Sad, but the MMO industry has taken a turn much like that of the entertainment industry. Let's make everything as pretty and sweet to the eye as we can so that the kiddies will beg their parents for sub money. Take away all the smoke and mirror graphics and you have a steamy pile of poo for a game, with highlights such as NPC item repairs and non-PVP servers.

I believe the only way NC2 will survive is if the game is turned over to the community. We have enough tech minded souls here to totally overhaul the game, and I'm sure there are 100 more long-gone who would make a return once they learned of a total revamp by the community.

her.
18-12-08, 00:35
Yea I Know What Your Talking About!!! Its Called Global Agenda!!! Everyone Go Check It Out!!!!!

Scarus
18-12-08, 00:53
Yea I Know What Your Talking About!!! Its Called Global Agenda!!! Everyone Go Check It Out!!!!!

Thanks for getting this thread closed, your input was invaluable.

If the community were allowed to contribute to the game it really could become something amazing; I know I would love to get my hands dirty with mapping & texturing a new, or should that be classic, Neocron.

Nidhogg
18-12-08, 01:10
LOL U guys still think a patch or update or ANYTHIN for that matta is goin to come to Neocron EVER??? HAHAHHAHHA yeah.........sure.
Aren't you banned or something? (Well, for a few days at any rate).

N

Biglines
18-12-08, 02:10
he's voicing the opinion of I think at least 50% of the neocron users, albeit a bit dumbly, and you ban him for that? What is there to show for any indication that there IS in fact something happening? No KK-employee ever bothered to confirm or deny anything about a new patch as was promised? The only activity we see is from active GM's and moderators, who as far as I know, know nothing more than we do...

This thread is about whether community input would make something happen, to which a reply is that no1 thinks something will happen, based mostly on the experience of more than 4 months of complete and utter silence from KK, and as far as I can tell, no community input whatsoever, ever.

Serah Logan
18-12-08, 10:30

Actually it's not....and upon checking out that game I find it to be less like Neocron than the one I speak of....which shall remain nameless due to the NDA I am binded by.

Nidhogg
18-12-08, 12:33
The Christmas break is upon us I'm afraid so getting any kind of official response to anything is difficult due to extreme drunkenness. I myself am typing this post from a lying down position and its only my Chrome speeling chocker that's providing it any air of sensibility or sobriety.

The payment problems are completely outside of our control and are, in fact, all tied up with the 10tacle situation. We'd love for that to be all sorted out but that would mean that monthly payments kick back in so be careful what you wish for. ;)

The idea of an RP clan is always a good one and, personally, I'm very much in favour of encouraging RP within the game. Chenoa and her team can help in this regard but the Christmas holiday is going to delay any responses.

Finally, you may have noticed that we're quite a small community here on the forums (I make no statements about the game itself for that's outside of my knowledge - I speak only for my own domain) so there's really no place for disruptive influences any more. Virtually everyone who posts these days does so politely and respectfully to other forum users and that's what we've always strived for here on the moderator team. It's not a permanent ban, just a cooldown period.

L0KI
18-12-08, 13:55
I complain about the lack of updates, and lack of communication, probably more than most, but I do so as politely as possible!

There's nothing even remotely productive to come from... and I quote:

/ban deserved.

PS - Global Agenda looks trash. I'd rather play WoW.

Biglines
18-12-08, 14:04
Official statements have been non-existent as a rule for a year, not just the holiday season (which afaik only begins saturday?), (and I know there were one or two after the whole world collapsed (10tacle), but come on, 2 messages on the whole subject, none with any solid info instead of trying to keep players by saying a patch is worked on?)

L0KI
18-12-08, 14:32
As I have said, again and again, I’m against the attitude which dictates that it’s okay NOT to communicate with your customers/community.

Whilst I/we pay nothing for the game right now, we’ve all paid hundreds of pounds/euros/dollars to ReaKKtor Media. I’m of the belief that this entitles us to some sort of communication

I would personally rather know that no patch is being worked on, and that the game will run for another (insert timescale here) than constantly check the forum each and every day, in my potentially misplaced optimism and faith. Would you all stop playing if you knew the game would close down and no more patches were coming? I wouldn’t. I’d be there (Albeit on and off) to the very end.

I hope there’s a patch, as we all do.

Several of us moaned and whined about this time last year, and were rewarded with a patch, seemingly completely out of the blue. This time around, I don’t care. I’d just like to know either way.

The head programmer of a game that’s recently announced it’s re-opening it’s servers posts all his updates and progress on the game’s forum directly. Although not quite as good as game as Neocron, and the forum moderation is amateur at best in comparison to here, I have so much respect for the guy – solely due to his manners. That is what it comes down to after all.

As for Nidhogg, and the guys that DO communicate what little information they have… you have mine, and probably everyone else’s respect.

/rant over.

(I'm just sick of hoping, and hoping that KK will come through for us in the end, only to be dissapointed time and time again.)

Brammers
18-12-08, 15:11
With all respect to KK in these difficult times, I do have to agree with Loki. A little communication to it's customers or community would not go amiss now and again.

Even if there is nothing to update on, there is nothing wrong in saying "The issues with X are still ongoing." or "We are continuing to work on XYZ", at least it shows you are all alive and kicking, especially in these difficult times.

Setlec
18-12-08, 19:47
as Loki and Brammers already wrote, i'm quit sick of hoping that KK could communicate their situation of NC development (pacth, update,bug fixes) since NC 2.2 there was only 2 patches (F6 window and DOY emptied). (WOW that' something...) What is KK doing right now? i don't know, and THAT is what piss me off! i know that KK is suffering of 10tacle insolvency and has to suffer from this financial crisis. I respectfully hope that all KK employees can survive from this harsh situation. But explain me why we, the community, are ignored?

the Neocron brainport: Your ideas, suggestions and wishes (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=141298) thread is just nothing more than babbling now there is many great ideas that could make NC even more exciting than ever. BP is unknown no updates whatsoever. KK must have paid a very expensive bill in order to license Crytech 2 engine for BP, which is a great engine but not is kk's current situation... Can we get a word from the KK'S CEO? Or from the Lead Dev? Or Could they create a blog where they could update weekly? or just making a newsletter? i'll wait until january to get some updates infos about KK's doing. if none comes well i'll say my farewell to NC community. since i started playing this game (2003) i've been playing almost nonstop for three years and a half. it's a shame being ignored.

Kanedax
18-12-08, 20:18
Niddy....we don't even talk anymore.....WHY WON'T YOU LOOK ME IN THE EYES WHEN WE MAKE LOVE!?????!!!?! /cry

Wharmaster
19-12-08, 00:16
great idea...oh wait...

there's one major problem. No one can create new accounts, right??

Hell, I've spent two days trying to try the new game (I left before DOY), and can't create an account.

Sent an e-mail...still waiting.

People don't want to have to jump through hoops and spend days in an effort to try a game.

Until the account issues are resolved, it's not going to happen.

Biglines
19-12-08, 00:59
depends on what payment provider you want to use I think

Wharmaster
19-12-08, 02:03
depends on what payment provider you want to use I think

Not at all. Paypal doesn't work at all. C2P doesn't work for North America (claims your IP is not in a supported country. Very common issue reported across the 'net.)

Paybycash requires that one buys a license before being able to play...and then of course you need to e-mail the cd-key and account info to account@neocron.com and wait 'till they get around to setting you up.

Therefore, there really IS no trial available. After getting burned by recent games such as AoC, very few people are willing to risk purchasing an MMO before playing it, especially when the account creation system doesn't even work, and the game is as old as Neocron.

No, Neocron won't be gaining any subs this way. Sad, because there are a lot of gamers out there right now who are disgruntled with the current crop of MMOs and are looking for something "more". A lot of them are looking for features that can be found in good ole' Neocron.

Sydalesis
19-12-08, 08:20
Not at all. Paypal doesn't work at all. C2P doesn't work for North America (claims your IP is not in a supported country. Very common issue reported across the 'net.)

Paybycash requires that one buys a license before being able to play...and then of course you need to e-mail the cd-key and account info to account@neocron.com and wait 'till they get around to setting you up.

Therefore, there really IS no trial available. After getting burned by recent games such as AoC, very few people are willing to risk purchasing an MMO before playing it, especially when the account creation system doesn't even work, and the game is as old as Neocron.

No, Neocron won't be gaining any subs this way. Sad, because there are a lot of gamers out there right now who are disgruntled with the current crop of MMOs and are looking for something "more". A lot of them are looking for features that can be found in good ole' Neocron.

After the license is paid the account is fully active afaik, i have bought a brand new account not so long ago (2-3 months max) and i used paybycash.

I would like to thank everyone for posting their toughts and comments on this situation, but i do not agree about how it is not possible to get more subs, as you probably gave a few hundred dollars to games like aoc/war without having a trial, and those games are probably dont have any depth, like every other money milking mmo with x franchise and y distributor.

If that license is too expensive or too risky then aoc/war is a suicide because there's no mmo out there with half the features neocron has.

I would like to thank nidhogg for cooling down the situation, but i undertand each post that everyone made. I would also like people to start posting more suggestions and places and confirmations on the current payment/account system. AFAIK paybycash is the only way to go and AFAIK you are fully active after the license is paid and i think its between 20-25$.

Now let's turn all this negativity back into positive advertising, everyone knows that KK is working on BP, everything said in this thread is pretty true except the guy who got temp banned , he deserved it as i asked for people to stay civil and everyone did except him.

I understand also that we dont want this payment system to change ;)

So if anyone else can confirm that paybycash works, please do, state the license price, date of purchase, and other details so that we can start hinting new potential players about this gem. I can confirm it already but more players doing so would enable everyone to have a similar protocol so we can start advertising on our own the same way.

Neocron will never die, it's too strong, sorry folks i kkeep the faith and i'll be there for BP altough i am VERY affraid of it , as i dont think a spaceship game can enable us to roleplay in such infinite ways like nc does, im affraid it becomes a space arcade shooter with no depth, with nice KK texturing/graphics. BP looks so good but i am scared that it's dumbed down like all these new mmo's.

One post struct me, loki's....

I am also affraid of reading bad news on these forums one day, this game cannot die, you can tell me i take it too seriously but if this game dies, so does my soul, my whole life has been influenced on this game and the original soundtrack, i played system shock 2 dozens of times with other friends in coop, played deus ex, but neocron beats them all , it has so much more depth and it's not linear.

Let's keep this thread positive please, i think we all know and agree with what has been said, but why stop there ? If we dont try we wont achieve anything at all...

Seriously guys, think about it.

Neocron 3, no target box, no zonelines.

Let's go in this direction, help KK sell licenses for nc , help them with bp, and we will have more chance on seeing our dream come true.

Thanks to everyone for staying polite and respectfull.

I respect this community a lot, same with devs/mods.

It's the holidays too, happy holidays to everyone.

Wharmaster
19-12-08, 09:16
Syd, I'm all for being positive. However...

Fileplanet, which is only ONE of the distros for the Neocron 2.2 client, reports that the game has been downloaded 126,627 times.

Where are these people??

My educated guess (from looking at forums on MMO gaming sites) is that they got to the account creation phase, and gave up.

Neocron needs a working trial, and personally i'd be more than happy to spend $5 - $10 per month sub fee to see the game revived as a result.

L0KI
19-12-08, 12:41
I understand your optimism Syd, but I can't share it any more.

We, as a community can only do so much. As Whar rightly says, the game needs a clever, and working free trial. We can plug, and plug this game all over the internet (and believe me, I have) until we are blue in the proverbial face, but without some form of help from the people at the top, we're not going to get very far.

Neocron is still the best game I have every played though, which is why it annoys me so much.

If a Dev was to post today saying:

" Hi all, we're not dead.

The patch is 70% complete. We have a few more features to complete and then we will be testing it internally. We cannot offer an exact timescale just yet, but we anticipate a February release"

Would you be happy at the news? Would it make you more excited about Neocron, and more tempted to keep playing/bring people back?

It would me.

But hey, it's Christmas and all that. I'll hold off on the ranting until January :D

Marx
19-12-08, 13:35
Two things stand between Neocron and a playerbase > 5.

Reakktor apathy when it comes to communication and change.

No realiably working payment methods.

Easiest (semi-complex) way to handle it is to open up memberships and such. Right now it's already free to (some) existing accounts, you just can't create new accounts. Sure, the game is buggy and has a fair number of issues - but if it's free to you you as the end user, you lose alot of the moral highground when it comes to complaining. At that point KK can keep on keeping on with their lack of response and such. Once they can show folks that they have reliable populations they can start courting the idea of ingame/forum advertising to help cover operations costs.

Anarchy Online was a shit game, is a shit game. Look how that's doing.

Quote from a former AoC GM:

Fortunately, almost no one actually plays AoC anymore so this shouldn't affect their ability to handle Customer Service; AO has a higher petition load.

Nidhogg
19-12-08, 14:26
WHY WON'T YOU LOOK ME IN THE EYES WHEN WE MAKE LOVE!?????!!!?! /cry
Because you prefer it from behind? :p

N

Kanedax
19-12-08, 17:02

N

Oh...good point....

flib
19-12-08, 19:58
The payment problems are completely outside of our control and are, in fact, all tied up with the 10tacle situation. We'd love for that to be all sorted out but that would mean that monthly payments kick back in so be careful what you wish for. ;)
I actually wouldn't mind that too much, I would be paying even now if Click2Pay would let me sign up.

Asurmen Spec Op
19-12-08, 21:13
What Neocron really needs is less giant content patches and more fucking bug fixing.

FIX THE BUGS PLEASE!

N
sigged.

Wharmaster
19-12-08, 21:46
As much as I loathe the idea, the entire situation could probably be resolved by placing a few ads on some billboards around the city.

I loathe in-game ads, but in this case, it could save the day.

Remove the payment systems entirely. Offer a free trial of the game, after witch instead of being auto billed, the account is disabled until a license is purchased.

Once a license is bought, the game becomes free to play, supported by in-game ads tailored to be approriate to the setting.

There are ways to save this game.

Asurmen Spec Op
20-12-08, 00:01
As much as I loathe the idea, the entire situation could probably be resolved by placing a few ads on some billboards around the city.

I loathe in-game ads, but in this case, it could save the day.

Remove the payment systems entirely. Offer a free trial of the game, after witch instead of being auto billed, the account is disabled until a license is purchased.

Once a license is bought, the game becomes free to play, supported by in-game ads tailored to be approriate to the setting.

There are ways to save this game.
Like the alienware ads?

nobby
20-12-08, 03:09

N

I fucking love you ! :lol:

would sig this if i had more allowed room ^^

Opar
24-12-08, 05:00
I would LOVE to start playing NC again. Having spent 2 years in WoW (sorry) I fancy something different.

I completely agree with making this game free to play. Given the number of accounts that are being paid for right now, I can't imagine KK are making over £1000 a month, surely?

Make it free to play - lose a few months revenue and get the show back on the road.

Failing that, make use of that CryEngine 2 lisence and give the whole game an overhaul. Unlikely, of course, but it isn't redesigning the game from scratch - more of a reimagining.

Whatever anyone says about Neocron, it's got legs. My god has it got legs. I check these forums at least once a month, each time dreading the day that I hit the forums and find out my very first MMO, and my favourite (not the best, but my favourite) game of all time has been shut down.

This is all wishful thinking, sure, but it would be nice to see. I remember back in 2005, justifying my reasons for staying in a 'dead' game to someone. Three and a half years later, the community may still kicking and screaming - but at least it's breathing.

NC1 was the game I'd always wanted, but never knew about, and it remains the game I most want to see back in business. Regular patches, reworking net code, COMMUNICATION - these are the things that will stir the beast. Neocron will never hit a hundred thousand, a million, ten million subscribers - a but a few hundred, maybe even a couple of thousand would make a LOT of people very, very happy.

There are still people out there who want to play this game - I've lost count of the number of 'Thinking of returning...' threads I've seen in my sporadic visits to the forum. The money is out there, KK just have to find a way to grab it.

God I miss this game :)

Apocalypsox
24-12-08, 05:21
the overhaul might come after they could get shit back on the road with ingame ads, as a way to get revenue coming back in from the game. Leave NC2 in its current way free to play while developing NC on the new engine, and then releasing that as pay to play to the community. Which i would do in a fucking instant, because the CryEngine handles lag very well. With my constant 200+ ping i might actually be able to kill someone on the cryengine.

Ground_Round
24-12-08, 05:50
NC needs to open it's doors to the true survivors of the apocalypse.

Adults.

The game has drugs, dead hookers in the subway, live hookers used to be in the Dome, strippers in PP...

Kids are going to grow up mighty fast or die mighty young in any real apocalyptic world so there should be slavery and all sorts of nightmarish shit in NeoCron.

Restrict the game to an M rated audience and pull in advertising from adult oriented web services (like there is on every friggin' page that isn't Disneyland.com) and then let the development of NC2 continue.

Millions from Ad revenue and some promotion of the product is the only way NC is ever going to get the population it deserves and the overhaul it desperately needs to compete.

NAPPER
24-12-08, 06:07
Neocron needs a working trial, and personally i'd be more than happy to spend $5 - $10 per month sub fee to see the game revived as a result.

Can anyone Remeber the NC1 demo where u had to fight side by side with the CopBots in P2 well my friends i still have this demo if i was to upload this u all can email ur friends and let them try it out.

But the only downfall is its NC1 not NC2.2 so a few things will have changed but the aspect of the game is still there.

And u can still make Accounts by buying the game i claned a guy called HellCow the other day that did it and it cost him £2.

I can see it now come one come all come play the game where the grass is green the hookers are old and the drugs are cheap FOR ONLY £2 ;)

Nap

Asurmen Spec Op
24-12-08, 07:12
I would again like to say:
Please do not think that porting NC to another engine is a good idea. The amount of work required is massive, and lets face it, we'd have many more bugs by doing that.
Bug fixing should be #1, not new content, not new engines, fucking fixing bugs.
Sure bug fixes won't have the instantaneous player spike of content, but I'd say most of the people here have quit playing because of the bugs atleast once or twice.

Biglines
24-12-08, 14:54
bug fixing for a giant system like nc which has been programmed by external companies independently is likely to be more work than using it as a base for a total rewrite.

also, what use is bugfixing if no1 is going to bother with a game that looks this old? a new engine wouldn't have more bugs, but would attract people = money = development

Mighty Max
24-12-08, 15:25
bug fixing for a giant system like nc which has been programmed by external companies independently is likely to be more work than using it as a base for a total rewrite.

You are mixing something up here.

also, what use is bugfixing if no1 is going to bother with a game that looks this old? a new engine wouldn't have more bugs, but would attract people = money = development

You should not underestimate the need of manyears for that approach.

A game is more then graphics. The biggest name in the mmo scene has graphics from the last century and it attracts many ppl.
Why bother with a game that looks old? Fun it is.

What would us help a shiny gfx if those ppl that are attracted by it are leaving a week later because the look has "used up" for them? What's a few months later? Who would play a game that looks that old? *g*

Marx
24-12-08, 15:48
I forget if the subscription cost of the game had the price flux associated with the euro-dollar connection for US players, but yeah - most people look at this game and can't bring themselves to pay ~10-15 USD a month.

Not even because of the game, the engine, or the bugs. But because on a good day there's only a small number of players on.

Reakktor people, you're already getting a rather unwholesome looking amount of influx now - unless you're contractually obligated to do otherwise, why don't you open things up now under the guise of a free trial quarter period. Say 'hey, we're showing off what we have' - then figure out in that time period how you're going to handle pricing and stuff, though I assure you if you go back to the way things are now you'll see a slow lingering death.

You know, like the one we experienced/are experiencing.

Biglines
24-12-08, 19:22
yep, there's a lot of development for others things, but the game dynamics for neocron are fine imho, so graphics would be biggest overhaul (as in a new engine), I think Hoder once told me that the code is such a mess that it would take more time to bugfix than rewrite, cud be some other gm tho

Asurmen Spec Op
24-12-08, 20:53

Sorry but, you have no idea how wrong you are.

Biglines
24-12-08, 21:20
lol, I might be, but could you tell me why? and how you would know? you really think that if bugfixes were doable, they wudn't have done them by now unless they involved major rewrites? Netcode (which is the largest bug with syncs etc), is afaik on newer engines far more stable (even lots of mmo engines which take care of it all), while the nc engines weren't even meant for mmo.

So unless KK is willingly leaving easily fixed bugs (which have existed afaik throughout the entire life) in the game, using another engine wud solve most of the bugs which ruin the experience atm.

So yes, I'm speculating, but having no idea how wrong I am, I would like to know where my error would be...

A bugfix would only bring back a few old players. A revamp of the whole game would be neocron 3, which could bring tons of players...

that said, ill withdraw from the discussion, although I'd like a reply just so I know how wrong I am

Asurmen Spec Op
24-12-08, 21:45
lol, I might be, but could you tell me why? and how you would know? you really think that if bugfixes were doable, they wudn't have done them by now unless they involved major rewrites? Netcode (which is the largest bug with syncs etc), is afaik on newer engines far more stable (even lots of mmo engines which take care of it all), while the nc engines weren't even meant for mmo.

So unless KK is willingly leaving easily fixed bugs (which have existed afaik throughout the entire life) in the game, using another engine wud solve most of the bugs which ruin the experience atm.

So yes, I'm speculating, but having no idea how wrong I am, I would like to know where my error would be...

A bugfix would only bring back a few old players. A revamp of the whole game would be neocron 3, which could bring tons of players...

that said, ill withdraw from the discussion, although I'd like a reply just so I know how wrong I am
Games are a lot more than what you see on the screen, the engine for NC isn't too buggy, but there are lots of things not engine related that are buggy, remember shit like citycoms crashing? FREs when zoning? unable to sync?
How would I know? Uh well, it is pretty simple of a concept, games are more complex than you seem to believe, especially of the MMO variant.

The game is only code, so yes the bugs are fixable. Maybe not easy, but I bet I've seen worse code than Neocron's.

nobby
24-12-08, 23:28
I don't know how long i'll stupidly continue paying my subscription to KK.

How many years has it been, that i've seen the SAME or less number of people playing...

Selling up is the only way i see to saving this game.

Maybe if KK offered incentive bonuses to those who get "referrals" to sign up and play of say a certain percentage would help I believe.

Wasn't 10tacle incharge of their marketing... I have no Idea, but what i really want, is to see If ANY, how neocron has been promoted in forms of advertising.

Biglines
25-12-08, 00:41
Games are a lot more than what you see on the screen, the engine for NC isn't too buggy, but there are lots of things not engine related that are buggy, remember shit like citycoms crashing? FREs when zoning? unable to sync?
How would I know? Uh well, it is pretty simple of a concept, games are more complex than you seem to believe, especially of the MMO variant.

The game is only code, so yes the bugs are fixable. Maybe not easy, but I bet I've seen worse code than Neocron's.

lol ok, for a moment I thought you were like a programmer. I know games and mmo's are very complex, used to be involved in a starting open source one, but they stopped cuz of the complexity, and most of what I was saying was based on posts from moderators/gms.

edit: sorry, said I would pull out, moderators feel free to delete my posts, it's starting to look like flaming, wasn't meant that way

Asurmen Spec Op
25-12-08, 00:49
lol ok, for a moment I thought you were like a programmer. I know games and mmo's are very complex, used to be involved in a starting open source one, but they stopped cuz of the complexity, and most of what I was saying was based on posts from moderators/gms.

edit: sorry, said I would pull out, moderators feel free to delete my posts, it's starting to look like flaming, wasn't meant that way
I am 'like' a programmer...
Bug fixing is actually doable at this point, whereas I would argue a new engine is not.
I don't even know if Neocron is still under active development with BP coming along, but bug fixing can be done by some poor soulless expendable college intern, integrating a new engine is much more difficult.
I'm not saying fix all the bugs, that doesn't happen, I'm saying fix the glaring ones.

nobby
25-12-08, 01:49
Talking of GLARING bugs...

How long did it take to fix the PE Lip bug... -.-

Asurmen Spec Op
25-12-08, 05:52
Talking of GLARING bugs...

How long did it take to fix the PE Lip bug... -.-
It isn't fixed.

Nidhogg
25-12-08, 14:20
I don't know how long i'll stupidly continue paying my subscription to KK.
But then where would you post all your OT threads? ;)

nobby
26-12-08, 04:42
well someone's gotta talk about SOMETHING...

and I'd still be able to post if my subscription ended...
Honestly, when Click to Gay messed me up so many times, i could still post as normal...

: \

Talros
22-01-09, 23:24
After the license is paid the account is fully active afaik, i have bought a brand new account not so long ago (2-3 months max) and i used paybycash.

I understand also that we dont want this payment system to change ;)

So if anyone else can confirm that paybycash works, please do, state the license price, date of purchase, and other details so that we can start hinting new potential players about this gem. I can confirm it already but more players doing so would enable everyone to have a similar protocol so we can start advertising on our own the same way.

I hate to bump a post over a month old, but I didn't see anyone confirm this. I just came back to NC after finding out it was free to play (for now), and I recently created a second account using PayByCash. I used the Direct Debit method from the checking account, and it's been 4 hours now and I still have not been billed for the $30.82 USD license. I've been playing this entire time and the management page says that KK has not received my payment, but I'm allowed to log in. I'll post a followup in 24 hours to see if I actually wind up getting billed for the license.

Nara
23-01-09, 13:20
I recently started playing NC again after a very long break (something like 4 years).

I could create an account using ClicktoPay I think. Had no problems creating it, but I am in Europe.

Really enjoying being back in NC, and I hope KK can survive the current problems and keep this game running.

edit: Holy crap my join date is 2003? has it really been that long?! :)

Oh and I came back to NC after hearing a podcast by Van Hemlock, where they played some music from various games, including a track from Neocron. Soon as I heard it, in my mind I was back out there in the wastes Warbot hunting.

So any advertising has got to help with getting old players back, and some new blood too. There are so many MMO players out there that are sick and tired of goddamn brainless fantasy MMOs.