PDA

View Full Version : Idea: Pickup/Gather

Biglines
03-12-08, 16:37
was reading some of the topics on opwarring and clans, and it seems there are a lot of people who want to do more pvp, but are sick of p2 zonewhoring. One of the solutions to not enough clans to opwar, or overkill, is maybe organizing a pickup/gather.

For people unfamiliar with pickups, they are usually games for for example counterstrike. It works when there are enough people willing to play, subscribe to a bot (usually organised on an irc channel, but nc could be ingame), which then makes two equal teams (could in this case keep in mind the sort of players, ppu's, tanks and such). they then go to an offered server (usually a community server, this time could be an op donated by some large clan), and play a game for fun.

The problem with this idea of course is that you need to be a clan to conquer an op (without the goal it's no fun). Excluding help from KK, I see maybe two solutions, one having a seperate clan for the two teams, which invites teams, the bad thing about this is that it needs to be the same factions. Another might be to have two clans supply hackers for both teams, but i dunno how that would be done...

All in all it just seemed like a solution, but tbh it might get back some people who don't like that clan culture atm, or maybe just a one time event. I haven't figured a workable solution yet, so just maybe some of you have better ideas.

If you think it's a bad idea, just don't reply, or give some constructive critisism, I know this could roll into another clanbashing thread, but hope we can keep that out...

Jaffo
03-12-08, 17:18
i think its a nice idea but dont think that it would work purely due to the game dynamics of all hackers need to be in same clan to actually take the op etc and how do you decide whats a fair team? unless you have one class each in a team.

Biglines
03-12-08, 17:40
ye was wondering about that. maybe something like a default of 1 ppu per 3 players, rest should be kinda fair anyway.

Could maybe some GM say what's a possibility for maybe quick-changing clans temporarily?

L0KI
03-12-08, 17:54
I think it's a bad idea, and the reasons for that are:

- This is not WoW. It's exactly the same as WoW instanced PvP.
- Way too much coding and time must be spent to implement this idea. There are hundreds of other ideas that I would personally rather see implemented before this.
- OP fights are organised, strategic events, not just random encounters - and that suits the game.
-This is an MMO in a persistent world, with NO instancing. What you are asking for is instanced worlds. IE - the players are taken OUT of the game world and placed into another one.

Sorry, I know you requested that people that opposed your idea 'just don't reply', but I have to say if I think an idea is terrible.

Now, for more 'constructive' criticism:

- When the new patch is implemented, and more areas open up (Like the great old days of CRP caving + fire mobs), these zones will be populated, and you'll find people scattered around them; not just crammed into P2 next to the zone line.

The problem now is; other than going to an OP fight, or lamely camping Regeants, there isn't really anywhere to go hunting players. In the past, there were always people up for a fight around CRP, MB etc.

What I am saying is, you have come up with an excessive solution to a problem that could be resolved with some very minor tweaks.

Riddle
03-12-08, 18:28
My sniper is still at CRP and my old Tank but they NEVER get any action these days, never any cave teams to hassle :(

Personally i hate P2, never even entertained it, odd thing is though that i used to frequent the Pepper Park zone line all the time in NC1....maybe i have changed...or maybe back then we were just killing time before the next Op war, unlike now, when people want to be the P2 king of all and make a career out of hanging out there :rolleyes:

L0KI
03-12-08, 18:41
I'm not sure Riddle.
I too, used to share your like for PP1 fighting. I think it might be something as simple as the atmosphere. I stay well away from Plaza 2 if I can help it.

Kanedax
03-12-08, 22:34
Yeah P2 is bollocks compared to PP1, pp1 had the atmosphere, it was more open and slightly more difficult to zonewhore, people dying there was something frequent where now I feel lucky if I get a kill in p2 before they zone. I would just frankly like to see the copbots taken out of PP1 and see the pvp move back there.

Biglines
04-12-08, 12:17
never meant instanced play, meant like having some of the big clans organizing fights for their ops, involving more people in opwar fighting.

And L0Ki, i just dint want flaming, ur comments make sense, but I think I meant it differently.

Just spewing an idea like this, and see if it can be implemented, cuz tbh, KK never ever even acknowledged they were still working on that patch, even though some confirmations were asked numerous times, don't get your hopes up, no way they are working on it right now...

(and if they are, they are stupid not to announce it cuz it would bring back many players...)

L0KI
04-12-08, 12:24
I agree.

It IS stupid not to announce progress on a patch. No developer blog, no patch progress forum.

No feedback, whatsoever, in four months.

KK have a habit of announcing a patch around 2 days before it's launch. Personally I don't see the problem with keeping the community updated on it's progress, but KK are KK. It's always been this way.

Kanedax
04-12-08, 16:17
I agree.

It IS stupid not to announce progress on a patch. No developer blog, no patch progress forum.

No feedback, whatsoever, in four months.

KK have a habit of announcing a patch around 2 days before it's launch. Personally I don't see the problem with keeping the community updated on it's progress, but KK are KK. It's always been this way.

I'm glad they haven't updated us Rabbi, if they did I'd fear that the apocalypse was imminent.

IceStorm
04-12-08, 16:35
If you want to op battle for fun, why don't you just ask KK to make Neofrag's arenas duplicates of existing op zones, then provide safezone access to Neofrag?

Brammers
04-12-08, 17:56
For people unfamiliar with pickups, they are usually games for for example counterstrike. It works when there are enough people willing to play, subscribe to a bot (usually organised on an irc channel, but nc could be ingame), which then makes two equal teams (could in this case keep in mind the sort of players, ppu's, tanks and such). they then go to an offered server (usually a community server, this time could be an op donated by some large clan), and play a game for fun.

Just a thought on making this possible, even without help from KK.

The Ultimate Launcher has IRC support in it, which works ingame as well, although someone would have to speak nicely to Marc Hoover about setting up a channel, and also to check with him how possible this is.

As for the bot, I'm sure someone could create/alter a bot to handle the teams.

Just my 2nc's worth. ;)

L0KI
04-12-08, 18:15
If you want to op battle for fun, why don't you just ask KK to make Neofrag's arenas duplicates of existing op zones, then provide safezone access to Neofrag?

I actually like this idea, a lot.

Kanedax
04-12-08, 18:58

Best idea I've heard in a long time.

Biglines
04-12-08, 21:56
for irc i can get a bot quick enough if necessary, wud just need hosting.

safezone access to nf isnt even required imho, i mean, real ops aren't safely accessable are they?

Sharper Blade
05-12-08, 00:12
we did this kind of thing with a bunch of people at jeriko and at the cage and it was awesome

Biglines
05-12-08, 00:21
could you be a bit more specific? could be interesting

Riddle
05-12-08, 11:23
The Caged Arena (http://wiki.techhaven.org/Caged_Arena) was a place to hang whilst we gathered mixed groups to trash Jeriko (http://wiki.techhaven.org/Jeriko_Fortress) That was back when it was more Red vs Blue at the launch of NC2.

Unless sharp means something else?

Should i mention Jeriko is in B 08 (http://wiki.techhaven.org/B_08) ?:cool:

flib
05-12-08, 22:00
What I don't get is how people didn't just kill everyone there, or have raids on the people there, etc.

Doc Holliday
07-12-08, 12:42
What I don't get is how people didn't just kill everyone there, or have raids on the people there, etc.

because the amount of people who wanted to have some good fights outweighed the amount of assholes intent in trashing the event. the idiots did try to pk and wreck it back in the past but they never did get anywhere.

im suprised no one mentioned neofrag before.

second. i dont see why you would need irc when everyones on a static server anyway. trade channel or ooc or what ever channel isnt being used to flame each other and pour out large glasses of Hater-ade.

even the recruitment channel could be used if enough people turn it on. the only sad part is if some idiot crashes in to nf with a ppu to cause disruption there it can fuck up an otherwise good pvp session IF your tryin to organise 3 on 3s or what ever.

(memory doesnt tell me whether a password is on the decks anymore. if there is then the above is null and void)

if you want to have some proper fun in pvp get on trade tell a bunch of people to get in neofrag and duel or even better go in a decent deck and organise 2 on 2s or 3 on 3s. no one dies everyone has fun and you dont get the lame shit like zonewhoring with 4 ppus strapped to your back.

i dont see KK ever remapping any zones from ops in to neofrag as it will move the incentive of op fighting. op fighting to some is the essence of nc. its not about the op at all.

its simply about the fun of the fight.

(ice im not pissing on your idea either so dont take offense i just dont think it would happen)

Tyler_Durdon
07-12-08, 13:21
what about organized fightnights and tournaments?

Sharper Blade
07-12-08, 19:31
it was pretty much a fightnight, it started with vegah he got the whole clan into it and we told all our friends and they told their freinds and soon we had a cagerage and after that we split into 2 teams and did a simulated opwar without the hacking, just fighting it was amazingly fun