PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Tabula Rasa Shutting Down

-FN-
21-11-08, 21:27
Just some news on a fellow non-fantasy MMORPG:

News Release here: http://www.rgtr.com/news/latest_news/index.html

14 Months after launch, Tabula Rasa is shutting down. Kinda funny considering NC is still running :lol: ok, maybe slowly crawling. Kinda.

But the announcement is somewhat strange since they've been putting all the new teasers out about the new content, FPS mode, weapon scopes, etc, and the Devs have been talking about a lot of upcoming patches & changes... and they just released this Earth video: http://static.plaync.com/media/tr/video/tr_earthpromo.mov

To the Tabula Rasa Community,

Last November we launched what we hoped would be a ground breaking sci-fi MMO. In many ways, we think we've achieved that goal. Tabula Rasa has some unique features that make it fun and very different from every other MMO out there. Unfortunately, the fact is that the game hasn't performed as expected. The development team has worked hard to improve the game since launch, but the game never achieved the player population we hoped for.

So it is with regret that we must announce that Tabula Rasa will end live service on February 28, 2009.

Before we end the service, we'll make Tabula Rasa servers free to play starting on January 10, 2009.

We can assure you that through the next couple of months we'll be doing some really fun things in Tabula Rasa, and we plan to make staying on a little longer worth your while. For more details about what we are doing for Tabula Rasa players, please click here.

Stay tuned for more information. We thank you for your loyal support of the game and encourage you to take us up on the benefits we're offering Tabula Rasa players.

The Tabula Rasa Team

On February 28, 2009, Tabula Rasa will be shutting down its servers, and as of January 10, 2009, the game will be free to play.

To thank our loyal Tabula Rasa fans we've prepared a little closing down gift. Any active paying player as of 10:00 AM Pacific Time on November 21st, 2008 will be eligible for all of the following:

* 3 free months of City of Heroes including digital client
* 3 free months of Lineage II including digital client
* Aion beta access (coming soon)
* Aion pre-order access (available in 2009)
* 1 free month of Aion including digital client (available in 2009)

These offers are limited to active paying players. Subscribers who join or reactivate canceled accounts after 10:00 AM Pacific Time on November 21st, 2008 will not be eligible.

If you are an eligible Tabula Rasa player, you'll be receiving notification directly from NCsoft in the near future with information on how to collect these thank you gifts.

If you are a player that has pre-paid for Tabula Rasa subscription time beyond January 10, 2009, you will be refunded for that pre-paid time by February 28, 2009.

Should you have further questions please don't hesitate to contact our customer support team at http://www.plaync.com/us/help/.

From everyone at NCsoft, we'd like to thank you for the support and enthusiasm you've dedicated to Tabula Rasa over the last year.

/me continues the search for a new non-fantasy MMO home...

rob444
21-11-08, 23:02
Ah damn, sad news :(. I've still not tried the game yet but I will try to do that in January. Too bad they had to go.

Asurmen Spec Op
21-11-08, 23:04
Fucking owned! That game was terrible!

-FN-
21-11-08, 23:35
Fucking owned! That game was terrible!
Maybe it was, but the past few months that I had picked it up, it was a blast to play.

Riddle
22-11-08, 00:14
Wasn't half as bad as FOM turned out tbh!

Terror_Nonne
22-11-08, 03:01
what a good news! thx god, jesus and all the rest... hahaha :D
sry :p

Apocalypsox
22-11-08, 04:37
i just fucking bought it too -.- raged me the next day they shut it down. but they will probably re-release it with the new features as TR:2

Zanathos
22-11-08, 05:44
considering TR2 didnt do as well as expected and that Richard himself has left NC Soft, it is HIGHLY unlikely a TR 2 will be made :/

In the meantime, iz need another non fantasy mmo :(

nobby
23-11-08, 07:32
Funny reading this after seeing the collectors box for sale in EBgames today lol...

Asurmen Spec Op
23-11-08, 09:41
Wasn't half as bad as FOM turned out tbh!
half of shit is still shit.

flib
23-11-08, 19:58
/me continues the search for a new non-fantasy MMO home...Have you tried EVE Online? It's a bit boring at first, and it's not the most exciting in general, but it has its own charm.

CMaster
23-11-08, 21:56
/me continues the search for a new non-fantasy MMO home...

Well, you're getting 3 months of CoX. Although if you took away the fact that it has robots, its really, really similar to all the click-and-wait fantasy MMOs out there. It's refreshingly stat-light however.

I've just given up on the MMORPG thing for the time-being (to be fair, I was never that into the idea in the first place - I played NC because someone once called it "like multiplayer Deus Ex".

aKe`cj
23-11-08, 22:22
Well, you're getting 3 months of CoX. Although if you took away the fact that it has robots, its really, really similar to all the click-and-wait fantasy MMOs out there. It's refreshingly stat-light however.

I found the level design absolutely stunning when it was released... gameplay got boring after a month tho'

CMaster
23-11-08, 23:08
I found the level design absolutely stunning when it was released... gameplay got boring after a month tho'

I was underwhelmed in that respect. Sure, there is some really good sense of scale and you really have a lot of options in where you go (running up and down fire escapes and leaping between building roofs is indeed fun). But the detail and in fact personality was missing - as, with the exception of the gulch, was any kind of topography. It's just lots of big, generic buildings ponked on a flat space, with some pretty generic and low detail instanced interiors. This is all ramped up of course by the fact that there really is no incentive to explore at all. Going outside of your current level-appropriate area will just get you pasted by mobs, while all instances, useful enemies, events and contacts are painstakingly obviously pointed out to you. And exploring was something I really liked about Neocron. It's something by all accounts I'll probably love about FO3 when I get it. It's something I love doing for real even.

aKe`cj
24-11-08, 00:08
well... there you can see I havent spent all that time much exploring CoH :p

I just liked the sewers and outlands ... now that you mention it, I do remember they used the same interiors a zillion times over at different spots with some added decals... one of the reasons the game got dull so fast. repetitive locations and gameplay.

but meh - compared to NC the graphics were schweet :angel:

Hell-demon
24-11-08, 02:41
i just fucking bought it too -.- raged me the next day they shut it down. but they will probably re-release it with the new features as TR:2

Noob.

Should of bought left 4 dead.

Anyway, this news pleases me and it means less competition. It also means we can have their players.

OMNOMNOMNONOMNOM

Apocalypsox
24-11-08, 06:35
Pre-ordered that shit, motha fucka. Plus, TR was only 20 bucks. and i enjoyed it WHEN PEOPLE ACTUALLY PLAYED IT. Like no one plays it now. Woulda been better off subbing a month of Planetside.

I still think its fishy though that they have been talking about adding all these features and then it gets shut down.

flib
24-11-08, 07:21
I played NC because someone once called it "like multiplayer Deus Ex".
But Deus Ex has a multiplayer.

CMaster
24-11-08, 11:29
But Deus Ex has a multiplayer.

That bares very, very little resemblance to the game proper.

Hell-demon
24-11-08, 11:31
I still think its fishy though that they have been talking about adding all these features and then it gets shut down.

Unlike NC, that doesn't get new features but seems to be immortal 8|

zii
24-11-08, 15:09
They could have given the players a free month on NC instead ^^
Play NC forever :)

Chosen One
24-11-08, 20:49
a bunch of SXR played TR for sometime,

I really like the game.

Mabe some company will pick it up.

Hellgate is coming out with a expansion, so why cant TR do the same :rolleyes:

Hell-demon
25-11-08, 02:04
a bunch of SXR played TR for sometime,

I really like the game.

Mabe some company will pick it up.

Hellgate is coming out with a expansion, so why cant TR do the same :rolleyes:

We talking about the same Hell-gate that is also closing down and flagship studios are packing up their bags and leaving?