PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks

CMaster
05-11-08, 22:53
So today is bonfire night/guy fawkes day in the UK. We light big bonfires and blow up parts of the sky in celebration of a failed terrorist attack on the houses of parliament 400 years ago. Most Brits probably aren't sure exactly what we are celebrating - that there was an attempt, that it was stopped, that some catholics were killed or what. You can wiki it if you want more details.

It occured to me that both the French and the Americans have much better occasions for fireworks, dates that are significant in their republics' histories (although individuals are often unclear on the actual circumstances or meaning of the event, they realise the symbolism of celebrating the republic).

Anyway, my question is what day (if any) are fireworks reguarly set off in your country(let's ignore new year)? What is the meaning/symbolism of it and do you particuarly care?

Sharper Blade
06-11-08, 01:26
in the us its the 4th of july celebrating independence from Britain

=REMUS=
06-11-08, 01:52
So today is bonfire night/guy fawkes day in the UK. We light big bonfires and blow up parts of the sky in celebration of a failed terrorist attack on the houses of parliament 400 years ago. Most Brits probably aren't sure exactly what we are celebrating - that there was an attempt, that it was stopped, that some catholics were killed or what. You can wiki it if you want more details.

It occured to me that both the French and the Americans have much better occasions for fireworks, dates that are significant in their republics' histories (although individuals are often unclear on the actual circumstances or meaning of the event, they realise the symbolism of celebrating the republic).

Anyway, my question is what day (if any) are fireworks reguarly set off in your country(let's ignore new year)? What is the meaning/symbolism of it and do you particuarly care?

feeling a little melancholic are we CMaster? :D

CMaster
06-11-08, 02:19
feeling a little melancholic are we CMaster? :D

Not especially. Just curious, and thinking bonfire night is a bit shitty compared to Bastilles Day or Independence Day. Although I guess in some ways it is nice just to look at the pretty colours without their being any political implications.

Kanedax
06-11-08, 17:57
Since when have I needed a reason to fire explosives into the sky?

Riddle
06-11-08, 18:53
I used to enjoy the firworks night, my kids used to love the "little" display i put on regardless of the event it was meant to be for they are fun!

unfortunately my new country of residence has a different view.......

If you ignite a firework or cause it to be ignited in any place, you are guilty of an offence. The offence of igniting a firework can take place anywhere and not just in a public place. It can include the garden of a private house.
If you throw, direct or propel an ignited firework at or towards someone else or at property, you are guilty of an offence.
If you have a firework with the intention of selling or supplying it to someone else (and you don't hold a licence to import it) you are guilty of an offence.
If you are found guilty of any of the above offences you are liable:

On summary conviction (in the District Court) to a maximum fine of €2,500 or to imprisonment for up to 6 months or to both.
On conviction on indictment (in the Circuit Court) to a maximum fine of €10,000 or to imprisonment for up to 5 years or to both.
Maybe not this year then.....:eek:

Mighty Max
06-11-08, 19:52
That's - in the basic - the same over here.
However there are still some ways here and probably over at your side too.
You might want to give the second choice a try if you don't want to wait for new years eve.

- an exception is made on the night of the 31.12 each year
- an exception can be requested for events at the city's "Ordnungsamt"

nobby
07-11-08, 01:27
Is it just me or are people's fireworks getting tamer and tamer each year...

Saw VERY little in the sky of my area...

We didn't do fireworks this year, family is still mourning the death of our poor dog :(

Doc Holliday
07-11-08, 19:44
isnt this a bit political?

waste of money in my opinion but kids love it so if you have kids treat them.

i fortunately do not have kids to worry about :)

Nymphette79
08-11-08, 02:52
I have 3 kids, eldest son likes to watch them from the window but doesn't like the huge KABOMB ones, my daughter is petrified of them, mind u she cries at a party popper & my youngest was totally oblivious to it all.
I don't do bonfire's, scary.

Its all a load of bollocks now anyway, did anyone actually have someone come round asking "Penny for the Guy"???
And with fireworks it seems to be more about how loud the bang is rather than how pretty.

Dear God how old & boring do I sound??

Jodo
08-11-08, 05:34
Is it just me or are people's fireworks getting tamer and tamer each year...

Apart from this year it's been quite the opposite in Liverpool.
Lots of horrible little bastard kids setting them off constantly as soon as it looks dark enough. They often didn't care where they set them off either (I had one whizz past me, horizontally, about 11 years ago down a main road) and they always began about a month early and finish a month late.
They didn't even seem much to look at anymore either, as mentioned earlier in the thread, it became all about the loudest bang.

However, this year, the Police and Fire Brigade announced they were on a massive crackdown on illegal fireworks and it has been "Oh so quiet". Either all the fireworks the kids were getting hold of were illegal or they've all found a stash of knives and guns to play with instead. :wtf: