PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Airsoft- opinion?

nobby
04-10-08, 12:31
ello there,

I'm interested in sorting an outing for my college class during our week off in November.

Now since Paintball, in my opinion is getting a bit .. old (but still fun nevertheless) I heard something about Airsoft and maybe I think we could do that.

I'd like to know if it is any good, how dangerous and how you even "kill" people.

Thanks
Nobby <3

CrushOr
04-10-08, 12:48
Depending on the guns you use you could play in just normal clothing and walk away with a couple of mosquito bite sized welts.

Those guns are fairly low on the spectrum, if you are planning on using things like semi auto and fully automatic assualt rifles which are generating 1 or more Joules of power then I would consider wearing a big jacket, safety goggles, or probably just a paintball mask, Ive seen these things chip teeth and shatter finger nails.

an automatic gasser running on red gas will completely shred a coke can in the blink of an eye.

One thing with airsoft though, is that you guys all have to be commited to playing fair.

You know how when you play at public paintball fields you always have the little kids running around with a mask covered in paint because they have been shot so much just firing blindly everywhere?

Airsoft has that, if even worse because unless youve hit someone on bare skin the only tell that youve shot someone is a clapping noise from the BB hitting their clothes.

One thing I enjoy about airsoft is the feel and look of the guns, I like how they look really realistic, sometimes they are almost completely made of metal and have the same dimensions and weight as their real counter part, and that is pretty cool.

Paintball guns always look like toys and are more awkward to hold.
If you are playing milsim airsoft expect to have to change clips after 31 shots if you have something like a carbine using standard magazines, it adds a whole new angle to the game because you no longer have a hopper with 200 rounds in it to compensate for your lack of aim :P

Japan is great for airsoft, they are crazy about it over there and hands down make the best weapons on the market, Ive had Tokyo Marui's since day 1, they are like the AK;s of airsoft guns.

landofcake
04-10-08, 15:27
I'm someone who has alot of friends who play airsoft, and i'm looking into going in the future, but one thing you need to be aware of is the Violent Crimes Reduction Act if you intend to buy any guns.

You should still be able to rent them from a site though, but they may be what's know as 'two tone' guns.

The way it works is thusly ...

The government passed a law called the "Violent Crimes Reduction Act", which bans the sale of "Realistic Imitation Firearms", which includes airsoft guns. There is, however, a defence for Airsofters in the bill. Airsoft retailers can still sell RIF's, but they now require a license to buy. To get a license, you need to regularly go to an Airsoft site (i believe the amount is 3 times or more in no shorter than 2 months), and registered sites can give you one.

However, if you do NOT have a license, you can still buy 'two-tone' guns. These are guns that have bright paint over more than 50% of the gun, so they are no longer a RIF.

Naturally you need to be 18 or over to purchase either of them.

HOG
04-10-08, 17:33
I used to play a lota air soft. We just used pump guns and a few people had automatic ones. We just wore jeans and a light sweater and ofc goggles. It really doesnt hurt unless u are literally 5 feet from each other and hit bare skin. But as Crush0r said...the BIGGEST problem about airsoft was the cheaters! you HAVE to be committed to fair play or it just gets irritating.

edit: oh and for us a kill was just a hit to anyone in any location other than the gun or the shoes. (shoes because u cant really feel it)

Nymphette79
04-10-08, 18:55
Forget all that soft bollox, do a Dirty Sanchez day :D :D :D
Pics pls

flib
04-10-08, 19:44
Always wear goggles.
A couple friends and I were only playing for a couple hours and we each got hit in the goggles multiple times.

Asurmen Spec Op
04-10-08, 23:27
ello there,

I'm interested in sorting an outing for my college class during our week off in November.

Now since Paintball, in my opinion is getting a bit .. old (but still fun nevertheless) I heard something about Airsoft and maybe I think we could do that.

I'd like to know if it is any good, how dangerous and how you even "kill" people.

Thanks
Nobby <3
airsoft fucking rocks,
Assman

nobby
05-10-08, 01:02
I think that sums it up then :p

Urban assault in peterborough looks a promising place.
I'll tell the guys (and girls..) if they fancy it ^^

btw... like i asked before, how does a "kill" work

CrushOr
05-10-08, 02:16
basically if you get hit you call yourself out, its pretty similar to paintball.
if it is mil sim it would be like counterstrike where you remain "dead" until the end of the scenario, ie a whole team being killed or captured or the objective being completed.

Sometimes people play with rules like, if you get shot once in the head you are out, twice in the chest 3 times in the arm or leg and 4 times in the hand and foot or something similar to that. to simulate the "lethality" of being shot in different places by a real fire arm, other times you can combine that system and change the numbers around depending on if you are using a handgun,shotgun, submachine gun or rifle.

QuakCow
05-10-08, 08:49
I highly recommend airsofting, BB's are also significantly cheaper than paintballs and the gun, depending on brand, where its bought and the like, can be fairly inexpensive as well. And you don't have to worry about your clothes and gear getting slimed either...

Terayon
05-10-08, 23:11
Airsoft kinda varies. It can be basicly painball with different guns. If you want something new try looking for a airsoft milsim scenario or something.

Tarn
06-10-08, 21:02
paintball > airsoft.

specranator
06-10-08, 21:32
whatever you decide to do wear a paintball mask, even for airsoft... trust me you dont want to lose an eye or something. you can get away with using just safety glasses but ive seen lots of chipped teeth from airsoft. been playing paintball for about 12 years and honostly id say go with paintball cause paintball > airsoft = true ;)

it does kinda depend on where your going to be playing though, if its a cool setup and indoors airsoft might be pretty fun. but nothing like lighting someone up with some paint and being able to see the results :lol:

flib
06-10-08, 22:47
paintball > airsoft.
how?

also, a friend of mine had to get eye surgery because he accidently a whole airsoft pellot.
protip: wear mask

Asurmen Spec Op
07-10-08, 05:55
paintball > airsoft.
Get hit by a bus
I don't want to run around with a giant rod with a tumor full of balls attached to the top going 'pew pew pew'.

Apocalypsox
07-10-08, 05:56
I concur with assmans point of view.

QuakCow
07-10-08, 07:10
I'm going to go ahead and be a sheeple and further concur with Assman.

I love airsoft for the look and feel of the guns. Paintball is fun, but its nowhere near as fun for me. I get giddy every time the slide locks back on my gbb.

flib
07-10-08, 07:12
Me too; I also think that the best possible solution for this situation is for Tarn to get hit by a bus.

DER_julu
07-10-08, 10:16
if you seriously consider starting airsoft, and playing regularily, get a decent gun. stay away from the cheap rip-off chinese/korean/taiwanese shit some shops throw at you for less than 50 €.
stay away from most m16-derivates (exceptions: systema, ca - haven't tested the recent builds of new competitors in the field, though...), and especially of marui's, unless you plan to invest another couple hundred bucks fixing problems like barrel wobble, broken handguards, broken gearboxes and so on.
check reviews on the net, and try to find a shop where you can hold the actual gun in your hands before buying. go ahead and ask friends with a lot of experience with those babes, because they don't come cheap, and it's easy to waste a couple hundred bucks on a gun that doesn't do as it should half of the time. my personal favourites, leaving looks aside, are ca's steyr aug a1, marui's ak74 beita spetsnaz (with a bit of work and 150€ of investment you get a BEAST of a gun, with a muzzle velocity of 400+ fps which is reliable and sturdy enough to break stones...) and the ak47 from marui.
stay away from oversized scopes. i know, lot of people screw a huge optic onto their gun to get that cool sniper looks, but what for ? i mean, those babes shoot 80m straight at the best of times, and even then you can just grab the bb out of the air, so learn to use smaller optics. oversized scopes and reddots need to be protected, or you'll have your 200€+ superdoopersniper-optic shot to very expensive junk. and, most of the time you're playing on distances where you just don't need them if you know your gun, spent some time calibrating the hop-up, and learned to aim.
and some personal opinion: user mesh-masks (http://www.wargameclub.com/pcart/shopper.php?itm=OT-CG-ST04_cat_Goggles%20And%20Glasses) instead of fancy, expensive goggles or masks with glass - in my experience they tend to fog, or blind you with reflections when aiming with a sight, or get scratched. mesh-masks do the job just fine, without the disadvantages of goggles.
treat the airsoft-gun like a real one, means unloading it when entering non-playing zones, pulling the trigger once to get rid of the bb in the barrel, carrying it with the magazine unplugged unless you intend to shoot the gun, and such stuff common sense dictates, and you should do just fine.

and yes,

airsoft > paintball every day :)
=> /me hates being harrassed because of boots and military clothes - i mean, they were made to withstand the stress on the fabric imposed when crawling through the woods or cqb-environment, why not use them ? - and i can't hit a tank when i'm inside it with paintball markers...

Tarn
07-10-08, 18:20
Me too; I also think that the best possible solution for this situation is for Tarn to get hit by a bus.
lol dicks.

Nymphette79
07-10-08, 19:12
I don't want to run around with a giant rod with a tumor full of balls attached to the top going 'pew pew pew'.

No offense meant but isn't paintball, airsoft, quazar etc all very similar, to me it just sounds like an adult version of boys running round with peg guns shouting "BANG BANG UR DEAD, 50 BULLETS IN UR HEAD" but then what do I know, I find housework fun O_o

Biglines
07-10-08, 19:32
the fight is between people who play it occasionally for fun (paint ball) or for running around with realistic guns. I think the TS wanted to do it for once, and then Airsoft isn't very viable because you need commitment to stay fair (expensive gun is nice commitment ;)), while paintball is hard to cheat at

specranator
07-10-08, 20:11
i can shoot someone 10 times with an airsoft gun from 100 feet away and never even know it unless i can visually see them jumping around swatting at themselves like a swarm of bees is attacking..

i can hit someone 200 yards away with a paintball gun and not only see the splatter but see them jump from a serious sting. thats the funnest part.

throughout the years ive found more noobs to follow airsoft than paintball because of "realism" but if you think about it airsoft doesnt have half the umph that paintball does.

im sure youll have fun doing either though

btw assman my angel doesnt go "pew pew pew" it shoots ropes :lol:

Tarn
07-10-08, 20:37
i can shoot someone 10 times with an airsoft gun from 100 feet away and never even know it unless i can visually see them jumping around swatting at themselves like a swarm of bees is attacking..

i can hit someone 200 yards away with a paintball gun and not only see the splatter but see them jump from a serious sting. thats the funnest part.

throughout the years ive found more noobs to follow airsoft than paintball because of "realism" but if you think about it airsoft doesnt have half the umph that paintball does.

im sure youll have fun doing either though

btw assman my angel doesnt go "pew pew pew" it shoots ropes :lol:
yeah with paintballs you will know you hit them.
Angel..... lol thats like 2005-2006 stuff, its all about Egos and DM's son.

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/5497/web28mt9.jpg

Biglines
07-10-08, 20:46
damn, that looks gay with his hand like that lol

nobby
07-10-08, 20:59
Hahahaha !

DER_julu
07-10-08, 21:21
personally, i'm just playing with about 20 of some closer friends, when we play. if one of them is ever caught cheating, he's out. simple as that. and i never had a problem visually verifying if someone was hit, even if he didn't show the shot-sign immediately - i just see the little white bb's up to distances of 20 meters. but thats just me, and really - airsoft or paintball is just a matter of taste :)