PDA

View Full Version : New "cyberpunk" MMO announced.

CMaster
02-10-08, 02:05
Goes by the name "Otherland". Sounds like it will be low on the PvP - preview describes as "largley cooperative". Still, they're playing about with some of the typical notions of MMOs apparently - we'll see just how far they deviate from the mainstream.

Also, while the descriptions are quite hacker/cyberspace esque, I don't see the "punk" aspect that properly charaterises cyberpunk at all. Anyone read the novels can confirm/deny that?

L0KI
02-10-08, 10:39
Earthrise is the one repeatedly catching my attention.

Nice find though!

Apoc
02-10-08, 11:16
Otherland will be based on the "Fantasy" Books.

Just google for it :)

Sorin
03-10-08, 05:38
Oh shit. Awesome. I hope whoever is making it does it right. I've read the books and I've even met and hung out with the author twice (he lives locally to me). This should definitely be really interesting. Between the real world (in the books) and the Otherland network it should be really cool.

This page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otherland) gives you a basic overview of the story's premise. This page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Golden_Shadow), which is a (lengthy) synopsis of the first book, will give you a good foundation for what the story is all about and from there you can see how it could be made into an MMO.

-FN-
05-10-08, 07:10
I still have hopes for Fallen Earth...

Apocalypsox
05-10-08, 07:14
Pshah, im more hardcore than you FN. I still have hopes for TWILIGHT WAR.

BaDDaSS
05-10-08, 15:46
I still have hopes for Face of Mankind. LAWL jp.

Otherland sounds good. I'm gunna buy the novels and see what the backstory is like.

Nytewolf2k7
05-10-08, 16:07
Looks good, fingers crossed ;)

flib
05-10-08, 17:53
I still have hopes for Neocron.
(bracing for impact)

Nidhogg
05-10-08, 20:35
The first couple of books or so were pretty good (if a little derivative) but then it descended into thousands of pages of the following:

1) Arrive in a new world that is weirder than the last
2) Check it out for a bit
3) Bad guy arrives in world
4) Bad guy chases good guys
5) Move on to the next world
6) Rinse and repeat

It's incredibly rare that I leave a book unfinished but I'm sad to say that I did so with one of the Otherlands (can't remember which any more).

N

Biglines
05-10-08, 21:30
tss, competition? :P

/me wants mmo based on Takeshi Kovacs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takeshi_Kovacs)

Nidhogg
05-10-08, 22:21
tss, competition? :P
Not if it's anything like the books.

N

Biglines
05-10-08, 23:47
hehe, wasn't you who also recommended the Takeshi Kovacs books? (altered carbon and such?)

Nidhogg
06-10-08, 12:19
Fantastic books, but I don't think they'd make a good MMO. Now Neil Asher's Polity series on the other hand... ;)

N

Doc Holliday
08-10-08, 22:48
I still have hopes for Neocron.
(bracing for impact)

for once i agree with you.

nabbl
09-10-08, 09:10
DARK TOWER MMO --> WOHOOOOOO

Im Roland the Gunslinger from Gilead. Die with HONOR *peng peng*

dodgefahrer
09-10-08, 09:49
U arent Roland Nabbl...tztztztz u are more like Eddie ^^

But "The dark tower" MMO sounds interesting...

nabbl
09-10-08, 10:15
U arent Roland Nabbl...tztztztz u are more like Eddie ^^

But "The dark tower" MMO sounds interesting...

And you sound like Susannah tbh ;-)

The ultimate Gunslinger is Jake...

-FN-
09-10-08, 18:30
Pshah, im more hardcore than you FN. I still have hopes for TWILIGHT WAR.
That's not hardcore. That's just stupid :p Their pay-for-prerelease package was nothing but a CS:S map :lol: they even left some CS:S stuff in there.

I'm playing Tabula Rasa right now which is pretty fun. It lacks in PvP and anything end-game related, but at least it's a good time killer.

Nymphette79
09-10-08, 18:49
Not sure if it could work as an MMO but would love to see Musashi books made into a game

Omnituens
10-10-08, 00:49
And I'd like to see Nidhogg break dancing in a stormbot outfit, but thats going to happen either.

Heavyporker
12-10-08, 05:24
Oh, man.

"Otherland" as the books was awesome as an concept, but.. uhh.. jeez lord, ACTUALLY trying to make the worlds.. that is kind of a tremendous undertaking. We're talking EPIC. Each world would be something akin to an entire MMO in its own right (look, even the kitchen world, limited as the concept might be, was scaled to be its own entire world, think cabinets with the volume of mountain ranges, the river from the kitchen sink would be something akin to the Nile. We're talking TREMENDOUS). Not to mention, wasn't there like... ohhh... twenty worlds, minimum that were major settings in the books? That's a minimum, we would need MORE!

I don't think it will be a profitable undertaking, and it pains me to say so. Now, if it was open source, with map/model tools, something like Second World... then possibly it might come to be built well enough to be a reasonable approximation of the enormity that was Otherland.

Ohhh.. I enjoyed the books *SO* much, and I would love to see this get built.

Scaramanga
16-10-08, 22:47
Iain M Banks' future novels would make a great setting for an MMO. You'd start out by logging in then have a robot so complicated and advanced that you could never hope to understand it, kill all mobs and complete all quests and pvp for you.

In fact, is that too disimilar from buying an account? ;)

Nidhogg
17-10-08, 00:28
Space 1999, where the entire community plays a succession of storylines as the moon drifts further and further out into space. So instead of having a big but relatively static gameworld, you have a fairly small static gameworld (Moonbase Alpha) and then ever-changing environments that change on, say, a quarterly basis (giving the devs three months to prepare the next storyline). This even solves the end-game problem because the game is always changing.

N

Biglines
17-10-08, 02:51
ye, but resources are gonna get pulled so after maybe a year its gonna die off and all character development would be for nothing, I prefer the open ended ones were we can make our own fun over being too dependent on developers

Apocalypsox
17-10-08, 03:02
That's not hardcore. That's just stupid :p Their pay-for-prerelease package was nothing but a CS:S map :lol: they even left some CS:S stuff in there.

I'm playing Tabula Rasa right now which is pretty fun. It lacks in PvP and anything end-game related, but at least it's a good time killer.

I tried Tabula Rasa for 15 days on the trial. was fun killing dudes with a machinegun, but the fun kinda died off at level 15. Plus, i couldn't ever fly a damn ASF mech then. thats probably what made me quit. those mechs are too fucking awesome to not let me pilot one.

Asurmen Spec Op
17-10-08, 07:45
I tried Tabula Rasa for 15 days on the trial. was fun killing dudes with a machinegun, but the fun kinda died off at level 15. Plus, i couldn't ever fly a damn ASF mech then. thats probably what made me quit. those mechs are too fucking awesome to not let me pilot one.
worst game since FoM