PDA

View Full Version : here is a good idea...anyone agree?

daralzand
29-09-08, 13:02
ok here is the idea.

me and my mate have contacted kk and asked them to let us develope content for neocron for free. They dont have to pay us. they just have to teach us how to use the program that they use to create the game world. now we arent that great at making code, but then again the program that they use to create content is probably something like the program that is used to create jedi knight 2 and 3 stuff...or something like the elderscrolls: Oblvion tool. these programs DONT require a knowledge of coding.

We would create a sticky on the forums that is similar to the brainstorming post...we would create the content based upon you wishes ie-New lvling areas,offshore city,raillink from nc or th and mb etc,new woc items for woc 1,2,3,4 and 5, new woc imps and armour and weapons.

as we create the new content it would be put on a test server and reviewed by the players,it would be reworked after getting feedback from players. and then finnaly released on the live servers as new content patches.

now dont get me wrong. we wouldnt be able to create any new stuff that would require new code to be put in....we would only be able to create new landmass and buildings etc,and copy current in game items to create the new ones but under different names and with different stats. but we think this is better then no content at all.

imagine it..."while walking around the far east side of the wilderness you find a new building that wasnt there before, you go inside and are startled to see a monotrain sitting there with its doors open. you step inside and 10 seconds later the doors slam closed and the train zooms off at high speed. several moments later you arrive at a large offshore city that you had never heard of..you wonder what new adventures await you here"

We wouldnt be getting paid for doing this. we would sign any agreements/contracts that KK would require of us. and as we are unemployed we have nothing else to do.so all we would be doing is working on these projects.

just think of the things we could create with our imaginations.

i welcome your feedback.

Hell-demon
29-09-08, 13:49
This is similiar ilk to that of the modding forum back in nc1.

Yes we had good shit but KK stopped it. I think people made hacks or legal issue arose. If you can rangle something out of kk then great, more power to ya. However, even if you did make something how long would it take KK to put into the game, actually patch the server with all your stuff?

I like what your trying to do. Let's hope you can do it.

Personally I think if you are gonna add new stuff do what KK does and just release old stuff with a slightly different texture and new stats. I would be thrilled to see a rare junk knife. Please give me my rare junk knife :(

Nidhogg
29-09-08, 13:57
Your enthusiasm is great to see and very much appreciated, but I'm afraid that we're not able to take you up on it. We investigated the possibility of opening up the content creation tools a long, long time ago but there were many legal and contractual issues that prevented us from doing so.

Not only that but the example you gave above would, in fact, require a good deal of development support which we also can't provide or offer to the community.

It's a shame, I know, but that's the world we're in I'm afraid.

N

VegaH
29-09-08, 14:30
He Nidhogg,

Is the world your in right now makes you think there is a possibility for a new patch somewhere in the near future for Neocron? (I already know noone will give me an answer for this because KK never wants to be clear on this subject)

Because seriously, it is very sad to see that all this has gone away from Neocron:

- Melee tanks
- Apus (decent spells with stacks)
- PEs (all types)
- PvP droners
- Vehicles in OPs
- Hybrid monks

What is now left:
- PPU zergs
- HC tanks
- Spies

Thanks for an answer plz...

james_finn
29-09-08, 14:51
ok here is the idea.

me and my mate have contacted kk and asked them to let us develope content for neocron for free. They dont have to pay us. they just have to teach us how to use the program that they use to create the game world. now we arent that great at making code, but then again the program that they use to create content is probably something like the program that is used to create jedi knight 2 and 3 stuff...or something like the elderscrolls: Oblvion tool. these programs DONT require a knowledge of coding.

We would create a sticky on the forums that is similar to the brainstorming post...we would create the content based upon you wishes ie-New lvling areas,offshore city,raillink from nc or th and mb etc,new woc items for woc 1,2,3,4 and 5, new woc imps and armour and weapons.

as we create the new content it would be put on a test server and reviewed by the players,it would be reworked after getting feedback from players. and then finnaly released on the live servers as new content patches.

now dont get me wrong. we wouldnt be able to create any new stuff that would require new code to be put in....we would only be able to create new landmass and buildings etc,and copy current in game items to create the new ones but under different names and with different stats. but we think this is better then no content at all.

imagine it..."while walking around the far east side of the wilderness you find a new building that wasnt there before, you go inside and are startled to see a monotrain sitting there with its doors open. you step inside and 10 seconds later the doors slam closed and the train zooms off at high speed. several moments later you arrive at a large offshore city that you had never heard of..you wonder what new adventures await you here"

We wouldnt be getting paid for doing this. we would sign any agreements/contracts that KK would require of us. and as we are unemployed we have nothing else to do.so all we would be doing is working on these projects.

just think of the things we could create with our imaginations.

i welcome your feedback.

So many people have asked so many times, I am afraid as Nidhog has said its not going to happen. A couple of years ago I offered to rework the worm tunnels are they are created in a "modified" hammer as far as we know. Obviously I wasn't taken up on it.

However there are things you can get involved in to help bring new people into the game, the first thing that comes to mind is that we constantly need new people to work on the wiki, and help develop it into something which is of actual use to the community and new runners alike.

/Delphi

P.S. Sorry about the shameless plug ;)

L0KI
29-09-08, 15:08
Vegah, whilst I agree with most of what you have said...

PE's haven't gone!?!

A PE can easily take down a spy, or a tank.

Droners - I can understand what you mean, but again, I still see them in OP fights.

I do miss Hybrids though. I loved my Hybrid. :(

Hell-demon
29-09-08, 16:47
Vegah, whilst I agree with most of what you have said...

PE's haven't gone!?!

A PE can easily take down a spy, or a tank.

Droners - I can understand what you mean, but again, I still see them in OP fights.

I do miss Hybrids though. I loved my Hybrid. :(

Think Vegah means the diversity of a PE rather than the cookie cutter woc pistoleros or even more common x-bow r@pists.

nobby
29-09-08, 17:30
What kind of Legal issues are in place against this may i ask ? :O

CHA0S
29-09-08, 17:43
I would imagine the license for the said "tools" are for certain amount of persons employed by KK.

Shame they couldnt bring back the test server for a "mess-around" ie stats are changed alot to suite the players and then if players like it maybe gets implemented to live servers.........who knows

Kanedax
29-09-08, 17:44
Think Vegah means the diversity of a PE rather than the cookie cutter woc pistoleros or even more common x-bow r@pists.

I can rawk people with my non woc libra pe. People just play tank and spy because it's 'easier'. People have no urge to fight with a class that can be some what less effective when they first play it. However, like my pe, if you stick to it for a while and learn the nuances you can be on par with any class. My libra pe in fact is great against dissy spies. Not a whole lot of characters are.

Mighty Max
29-09-08, 17:45
What kind of Legal issues are in place against this may i ask ? :O

The first that come to my mind:
- Incompatible licences on bought assets (i.e. Models, Textures, ...) or third party tools (i.e. work derived from a special licence of the genesis project)
- Uncontrolable copyright infringements (ideas&assets taken from other games) without detailed revisioning.

And can one be banned if he just uses an intentional but unwanted loophole created by 3rd person?

nobby
29-09-08, 18:01
So why doesn't KK OFFICIALLY take them on, however have them on under voluntary basis.

Obviously there must be some coders within our community that would love to contribute.

Would be great work experience...

flib
29-09-08, 18:31
Obviously there must be some coders within our community that would love to contribute.
Coders, loving to work with Visual Basic? I highly doubt that.

Anna Finster
29-09-08, 19:05

Coders, willing to work for that beloved game which desperately needs some work to be done...

I'd work for it on a voluntary basis, no matter what language. Period. What counts is only if the language meets the specific project's requirements.

Trivaldi
29-09-08, 19:08
Here (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=142898) is an area you can help in.

Triv

Isec
29-09-08, 21:54
hmm is a cool idea, but which makes it then against the Cheater?

thus if so continues to go, I will not no more play (nterested none however)

Setlec
29-09-08, 22:31
i've created a topic two years ago on similar basis, asking kk to use an Open source game engine like the OpenNel or other, but if i'm not wrong they replied something like this "we are not pretending to make the game free and we don't want to lose our technology"... i think if they had spend sometime most of the bug in game would be gone by now, with a comunity dev helping Kk to fix bugs or update bugs BUT it would be KK who would manage the code and stuff the game would be paid for the content, events and stuff... but ayway i felt that i was dead after KK answered me...

Hell-demon
29-09-08, 23:36
I too made a modding thread and it died a firey death and was molested by perverts.

If you want content make a new game.

Asurmen Spec Op
29-09-08, 23:50
From what I remember from a previous game, Germany has some odd copywrite laws partaining to player created content.

flib
30-09-08, 00:08
Coders, willing to work for that beloved game which desperately needs some work to be done...

I'd work for it on a voluntary basis, no matter what language. Period. What counts is only if the language meets the specific project's requirements.
QBASIC, Pascal, Fortan, I can understand, but VB!?

Asurmen Spec Op
30-09-08, 01:26
Visual...basic!?
I'd write a kernel in brainfuck before I'd use VB

Anna Finster
30-09-08, 01:37
Who said its VB? But however the discussion about languages is pointless for we'll never be involved in making Neocron a better world :(

Btw thx Triv for the hint, but that's simply not the way i want to contribute. Everyone has its favorites... :angel:

-FN-
30-09-08, 02:51
Not sure if it's just me, but none of the Links work in Triv's Post (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=142898) :wtf:

And as much as I hate to burst anyone's bubble - daralzand, that proposition has been made about as many times as anyone has killed a drom. And like those droms, thanks to legal ramifications and such, it's a dead topic.

Asurmen Spec Op
30-09-08, 03:56
Not sure if it's just me, but none of the Links work in Triv's Post (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=142898) :wtf:

And as much as I hate to burst anyone's bubble - daralzand, that proposition has been made about as many times as anyone has killed a drom. And like those droms, thanks to legal ramifications and such, it's a dead topic.
Why FN, why do you hurt them :'(
They are so cute

daralzand
30-09-08, 09:11
nidhogg...

all you have to do is employ us as volunteer KK staff...you dont have to pay us a penny. we wouls sign all of the documents and agreements that all other KK staff have had to sign in the past. there hasnt been a patch in 9 months.

the game will dwindle to nothing so there would be no harm in making us your staff and us giving the game a new lease of life

TBH i have the resources to come over to Germania and meet with you guys to get this ball rolling.

this could be the best thing that has happened to neocron since evo 2.1.

just think about it man instead of blithly disregarding my offer of FREE employment out of hand as the idea of someone who wants to steal your TECH.

other companies such as Lucasarts and bethesda ( star wars and elderscrolls respectivly) have made their design tech freely available to open market with no ill affect.

i have made content for star wars: Jedi knight 1 and 2...and also for elderscrolls: morrowind and oblivion. i know my shit so to speak.

i have played all the mmos out there and neocron somehow keeps pulling me back to it even with all the "added" features such as bugs and lack of content updates.

give me a chance...there is no way i can harm you (i wont bite, honest).

contact me throught the email address that i have linked to this forum account and we can talk about me coming to see you guys for further talks.

cheers.

daralzand
30-09-08, 09:13
ps:sorry about the spellin errors in my post.

Nidhogg
30-09-08, 10:40
just think about it man instead of blithly disregarding my offer of FREE employment out of hand as the idea of someone who wants to steal your TECH.
No one is thinking for a moment that you're out to steal anything but I'm afraid that's just not how business works. Employment is a complex and expensive business even when the employee works unpaid. Also, the contracts we have in place with the licensors of some of our assets forbid the type of arrangement you suggest. I'm afraid it just isn't a possibility - if it were then you can bet we would have taken up similar offers in the past. I'm sorry.

N

spinx
30-09-08, 11:54
Nidhogg, it seems to me like youre saying that youre not allowed to hire absolutly anyone.

Yet isnt this why NC is in the position thats its in? what 100/6 billion people logg in per day?

Just saying if you had the man power NC would be a very big mmo, there hasnt been a patch in what almost 10 month's, the reason is lack of man power?

how is a game supposed to suvive with only like 5 people working on it?

not being out of order to you guys but you need to open youre options a little to get the game back on its feet

daralzand
30-09-08, 11:57
tbh there isnt even 5 people working it on it...there will never be a new batch of content unless they recruit new people who work on a volunteer basis.

i also know how employment works. you wouldnt have to insure me as i would work from home. you wouldnt have to pay for the paper that my contracts are printed on. if you want i can bring my own ink. employment is done by someone applying and then having an interview with yourselves.

i would come to germany and have a casual talk with you guys about the options that we have...what is the harm in that?

daralzand
30-09-08, 12:01
and to your statement of your licensors. as an employee of KK how on gods earth did you guys create content using peoples suggestions and if making new stuff is against their rules? if i were under your employ then i would be under the same rules and regulations as a member of the KK staff, would i not. are you guys not alowed to hire new members of staff who are able to work on content?

ps: ive just found out that you live in the UK. so do i. lets meet up to discuss this matter.

L0KI
30-09-08, 12:10
As much as this is a nice idea, and I'm sure they appreciate your apparent enthusiasm...You're assuming that KK are dismissing your idea for selfish reasons, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Nidhogg stated that the contracts they have in place with licensors of some of their assets forbids this type of arrangement, which is perfectly viable.

Nidhogg's point is clearly legitimate, and this has been asked before, countless times.

I'd like to see a patch as much as any other NC player, but it isn't going to happen this way.

daralzand
30-09-08, 12:12
no im not pointing out that its because of selfish reasons that they wont employ me...im pointing out that if they actually made me a member of the KK staff the restrictions wouldnt apply to me.

aKe`cj
30-09-08, 12:15
daralszand?
mind to add some media / reference material from past projects?

not asking to put anyone off, but there is a common misunderstanding of the skills, experience and time it takes ...

Voluntary helpers is a topic for itself – if your company can afford to, keep them out as much as possible and let them simmer in the area of community building. There is good reason why other companies arent letting anyone even near the game mechanics (including GMs) that arent on their payroll and thus to some degree more dependent (=reliable) on the job.

Anyhow - I would also love to see a lil patch again some time. New content isnt that important - balancing tweaks alone would already bring some fresh air to the game.

L0KI
30-09-08, 12:19
Yeah - seriously, how long can it take to change percentages around on melee and APU damage???

daralzand
30-09-08, 12:25
ok here is some of my work from making stuff for JK 2 and 3

http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/Coruscant_Part_I_Padmes_Home;34885

http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/Star_Wars_Episode_III_JKA_Map_Pack_Part_1;42800

http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/Movie_Academy;39831

ill find the links to my elder scrolls stuff for you guys

as you can see my work has recived favorable reviews and well more then 100k dowloads on my work so far.

here is my only mod releassed for elderscrolls...i hav emade lots more for me and my buddies to play but never got around to releasing them

http://files.filefront.com/Martigens+Monster+Mod+30/;7510221;/fileinfo.html

Hell-demon
30-09-08, 12:38
That's pretty good.

Can we keep him Niddy - PLEEEEEEEAAAASSSSEEE!

We'll take good care of him and make him mod everyday.

L0KI
30-09-08, 12:40
Yeah, that's actually good. :)

Biglines
30-09-08, 15:50
he's a mapper, what has that got to do with fixing nc? (new areas would be great of course, but hardly the highest priority)

L0KI
30-09-08, 16:06
/Me agrees with Biglines

daralzand
30-09-08, 16:09
my works shows that i have dedication and patience to complete the projects that i set out to do...and that i have a fine eye for extreme detail that some mappers dont have, ive not just done mapping btw... the work on oblivion involved far more then simple landmass and buildings work. i had to create waypoints,spawn points,item drop calculations and everthing else that goes with creating brand new content from scratch.

food for thought

Setlec
30-09-08, 16:18
if you could make or remake the wastelands size and detail it would be great... but it would mean to re code some part of the game engine... and that would mean KK seting up a fire on this ideia.

daralzand
30-09-08, 17:42
the wastelands is fine as it is tbh its plenty big enought to look after itself. if i wanted to adjust the terrain it is probaly done with a tool that is similar to the oblivion toolset. which is very easy to use. i cant see a coder sitting there and coding all of that terrain.

if the guys at KK can do it im sure that i could..but it looks like they wont give me a chance to prove my mettle.

it would be nice to meet with nidhogg and chat about our options. maybe noone at KK has the authority to employ anyone new.

and to think......all i want is to make new areas and items for us to explore/use.

Here is an example of the sort of program that i think that KK use to make NC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9btzpLdg8wA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NRY1FKHjDM&NR=1

I had to self teach myself to use all the prgrams that i used for editing content. but the effort is worth it to see the remarks that people give about my work.

james_finn
30-09-08, 18:07
And why do you have any thoughts that neocron is made using the morrowind tool set? I even stated above that Neocron is based on the bsp files through Hammer (although it is customized so dont try opening them :P).

Daralzand yes you have worked on a game, and used tools which have been given to the community. I would hesitate to say you have no idea how to code, especially with the fact you seem to think that you can solve all neocrons problems in short work. Neocron I would *guess* is 100,000's of lines of code, which was written by lots of different people, with different coding styles, which no-one understands completely. You change one variable to tweak Melee, and suddenly you have change something else which was dependant upon it.

As for people who have said lets just increase Melee by 25% damage across the board, has anyone actually done a feasability study on what the differences are between the damage of different types of weapons? You can't just pick a number and increase them all by it, as the patch would be released and you would all scream that Melee was now overpowered. I am trying to think of a good way to do such a feasability study, however it would require very fine tuning of character stats to do so, which I just personally dont have time to do.

TBH just accept what you get told by ReaKKtor and move on, they won't change their minds - do something else which is good for the community (design a new world wide storyline etc.)

/Delphi

daralzand
30-09-08, 18:29
ahah...i have used hammer before to make HL and CS maps. didnt i mention that...i guess not? i wasnt sure of the program that KK used to make the game. i was pointing out that the program they they do use is probably very similar to one of the programs that i have used in the past. and as it happens i was correct if what you say is true.

so now i know that i could use the program that KK uses to create NC.

Hammer is very very simple to use tbh.

Trivaldi
30-09-08, 18:32
Thanks for the heads up, fixed.

Now more input would be fantastic ;)

Triv

james_finn
30-09-08, 18:33
ahah...i have used hammer before to make HL and CS maps. didnt i mention that...i guess not? i wasnt sure of the program that KK used to make the game. i was pointing out that the program they they do use is probably very similar to one of the programs that i have used in the past. and as it happens i was correct if what you say is true.

And so could a hell of a lot of other people who have offered in the past..... Look at my work which you can find by searching this forum for the pepper park CSS map which was in the process of being made.

You just need to give it up, ReaKKtor really cannot change their legally binding contracts with another company, whether its you or its 100 of you. You obviously mean well, however as has been said by most other people in this thread it just cannot happen.

Biglines
30-09-08, 21:24

Hammer is very very simple to use tbh.
so you're only experienced in mapping and some simple scripting... if the nc staff, who worked on this game for quite a while, can't even fix bugs, what were you planning on doing?

I know how simple hammer is to use, I used it when i was like 14 (8 years ago), I've learned around 12 different programming languages since then, close to professional in one or two, but hell, even trying to read something as simple as a flash game is hard as hell without studying the mechanics, learning how to read the programmer's style, and these generally involve maybe a few hundred lines of code (although many lines is usually more readable than the simple but difficult one line solutions most programmers seem to enjoy)

give up on the mapping issue, it's not gonna happen, even if you are the most expert oblivion content creator. And getting anywhere near the programming complexity of neocron would probably cause your brain to strangle itself

I agree with delphi that the most feasible thing for you to contribute would be to work on storylines, even try to cooperate with gms to get them to get some events supporting them.

btw, they din't create nc with hammer, they made less than 1% of the game's complexity in hammer, maps in hammer are by far the easiest to get to work

spinx
30-09-08, 21:31
Im sure if you did read he said he cant do anything with the coding, in the future read proply before you post, because lets be honest, i was laughing when 2 diffrent people was saying "you cant do coding", when in the initial post he stated he wont be able to do anything with coding because he has never used any coding or studied any.

Also why the hell would anyone do somthiong to do with story lines, that wont bring the population up on neocron pure hard content will, and guess what because KK "cant" hire anyone its just gonna stay stagment isnt it, stuck in 1 phase for ages untill the 3 or 4 people working on an update get somthing done other than sitting on there asses drinking tea and getting paid simple aint it? (or working at a non existant pace)

Biglines
30-09-08, 22:56
as you can also read in his posts further down the line, he states that mapping wasn't all he did, also fairly "complex" things like waypoints and resource calculations... to which my reply was that those things would be nowhere near his skill level in the jumble of code neocron is

so next time you tell someone to read a topic, make sure you do it yourself, all I did was give my view on his idea, which I think he asked for in his starting post, but I'm sure you'll tell me if not

and relating to the insults towards the coding team of neocron, the pace you seem to be able to judge from a timespan without any indication of what they are doing is beyond me, as far as I'm concerned I'll keep my hopes up on a giant patch which they are working on for the only one or two months since the announcement, which as far as we know could involve total revamping of the whole game, which would mean the pace could be stellar (I have my share of insults, but they are usually against non-communication, miscommunication or server maintenance, which I can comment on because they are perceivable by me (or not if that's the problem))

and why people would work on story line events? because it would mean something more meaningful than "OMFG AD" or "OMFG HE HAX" would happen in the nc world, which would make at least those involved in any community building happier

Anna Finster
30-09-08, 23:22
Biglines, I agree with you as far as what you state about mapping != coding.

But unfortunately, this thread is going nowhere... Open source, employment on a volunteer basis whatsoever, it won't happen. So why discuss it furthermore?

Daralzand, throw a "CbT" plxkthx.

james_finn
01-10-08, 00:44
Im sure if you did read he said he cant do anything with the coding, in the future read proply before you post, because lets be honest, i was laughing when 2 diffrent people was saying "you cant do coding", when in the initial post he stated he wont be able to do anything with coding because he has never used any coding or studied any.

Also why the hell would anyone do somthiong to do with story lines, that wont bring the population up on neocron pure hard content will, and guess what because KK "cant" hire anyone its just gonna stay stagment isnt it, stuck in 1 phase for ages untill the 3 or 4 people working on an update get somthing done other than sitting on there asses drinking tea and getting paid simple aint it? (or working at a non existant pace)

I would just like to point out that KK has told us that there is currently no development team on Neocron, so the reason there has been no patch is because they have not been working on one. I for one can't wait to see Black Prophecy, and if it is as good as it looks then it should make KK loads of revenue which can be (hopefully) put back into Neocron to make Neocron 3 and the top MMO out there.

I think its just downright rude to insult KK staff and say they are sitting on their asses drinking tea. I know for a fact that coding something is not a simple thing to do, and tbh anyone who says anything else has either never coded in their life, or only codes stupid small applications.

silent000
01-10-08, 01:24
or only codes stupid small applications.

Console.WriteLine("Hello, World!");

Sorry this thread is going nowhere, and I love this application when teaching people programming.

Setlec
01-10-08, 02:27
I for one can't wait to see Black Prophecy, and if it is as good as it looks then it should make KK loads of revenue which can be (hopefully) put back into Neocron to make Neocron 3 and the top MMO out there.
James If BP goes and run smothly why a company which have a very old game fully unprepared/badly coded/worst engine with a tiny community (imo: smallest community in the world) why would they invest to make a NC 3 if for the last 4/5 years the game has suffered like 3 to 4 big changes?

from a previous post of yours James, you said that if KK changes the stats of a weapon hey should code... tbh is more a data base issues than a coding issue... i see this kind of problem here at my work place a multi-national company and it's a db issue not coding.

But unfortunately, this thread is going nowhere... Open source, employment on a volunteer basis whatsoever, it won't happen. So why discuss it furthermore?
i do agree with you about that the thread is going nowhere, but as a fan i'm just trying to make KK realize how much i care about the game as much about KK. this why we are discussing about.

what i think is shameful is that KK could have done a MEGA GOOD new game engine for NC, but well won't happen if KK continue to ignore our thoughts advices.

daralzand
01-10-08, 03:39
if i made new areas i WOULD NOT have to write any coding. its simple drag and click to make new stuff and place new mobs and waypoints, and doing database stuff with new mobs and npcs is easy..its just typing normal text. i wouldnt have to be making any radical changes to the game world.just adding new landmass and buildings and draggin and dropping new mobs spawn points for people to lvl at...

making new items is easy as pie. if i wanted to make a woc implant all i have to do is go on the database. go to the mc5 balistic cpu, rename it to WoC Pistol chip or something and then makes the chip enabled for WoC and then save the item as a new item instead of overwriting the old item. Let me say again. making new items and landmasses is easy. you dont have to write code to create hills and buildings. you take your mouse and make it all with that and add textures and light sources etc all using hammer program. this is all hypothetical as noone actually knows the extent to which hammer and coding is used to create in game content. my view is that anything that doesnt effect the actual mechanics of the game wont require coding to be added or changed meaning that adding the landmasses and buildings would take no more then a few months of good solid work.

i know ive repeated myself a couple of times there but its just so some people dont miss what ive typed when speed reading this post ;):):)

i can see that this is indeed going nowhere. just want to say how i am dissapointed with the negativity of some of you guys. but its good to see that there are some people that would like something like this to happen. maybe ill apply to the main reakktor website and get a job with them.

anyhows im now gonna concentrate on getting my guild from age of conan over to here.

wish me luck runners.

daralzand signing out!

ps: biglines, adding waypoints in hammer doesnt require coding, its simply adding points a-b-c and then back to a if you want a repeating route.

Riddle
01-10-08, 09:49
Now, now lads......

Let's not descend into an argument about coding/mapping etc.etc. none of which i can do by the wayhttp://neocron.jafc.de/images/smilies/old/wink.gif

An offer of help was extended to add to our current gaming experience, you cannot knock anyone for that.

It was all to obvious an outcome, having like the majority of you, frequented these forums for some time and have seen numerous offers to add content in some way from some very gifted people imo turned down.

Unfortunately the answer is not easily accepted by people who are willing to spend time on a project they feel is not currently being moved on in any way.

http://pixiestixkidspix.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/cookie-bite-web.jpgThats the way the Crumbles.....

Nidhogg
01-10-08, 10:42
what i think is shameful is that KK could have done a MEGA GOOD new game engine for NC
Take a moment and think about that statement. In order to compete technologically in today's market it would cost multiple millions of euros to develop an MMO game engine that was capable of duplicating the functionality we already have in the engine today. Remember that although we started with a licensed engine for the city and internal sectors it has been radically altered over the years. The exterior engine is completely custom, and while the combined engine might not be the best looking by today's standards it still has that certain something; Neocron always has.

Let me be clear. Neocron is a niche game with a small but extremely loyal following and for that we are extremely grateful. Its finances have achieved a fine balance that has allowed us to operate for such a huge length of time in an overwhelmingly hostile environment (and I'm not talking about the wastelands here!). An investment of the scale you're demanding would completely destabilise that balance and certainly spell the end for us all. Look around you at how many other MMOs, even big name MMOs, have gone to the wall or are currently in danger of doing so...

If you want to contribute and be seen to do so then I would recommend that you all get involved in things you have direct control over. Help with the community, whether in-game or out. Do your utmost to help newcomers get into the game and make them feel welcome. Contribute here on the forums. Get involved in role-play and the web magazines. That's what I did and that's what has kept me here for all these years. I can't do anything about coding and I accept that. I try and make the most of what we have right here, right now and I urge you all to do the same.

N

L0KI
01-10-08, 11:56
stuck in 1 phase for ages untill the 3 or 4 people working on an update get somthing done other than sitting on there asses drinking tea and getting paid simple aint it? (or working at a non existant pace)

What an ignorant, and stupid thing to say.
We know there is a patch in the making - but it's extremely unlikely that they even have ONE person dedicating 100% of their time to it, with the upcoming release of Black Prophecy.

@ Nidhogg - I completely agree with the majority of your post. It's the custom engine itself that allows the ever-praised PvP/Combat system. To a degree, the engine is what makes Neocron what it is.

Neocron does have an incredibly loyal following. So loyal infact, that they are happy to continue paying for and playing a game that hasn't been patched in almost a year. Whilst I am one of these loyal customers, and die-hard fans of Neocron, I still can't help but feel annoyed at the complete lack of added content. Not even a minor patch, that merely changes a couple of damage percentages.

How hard is it, really, to give the extremely loyal community something back in the form of a minor tweak patch - at least until we wait for the real thing.

Melee Damage +
APU RoF or Damage +
Mob armour -
Maybe a couple of stat tweaks on existing implants

This instantly brings APU's, Hybrids and Melee classes back into the game, and would satisfy people's urges for the time being, until a real patch can be developed.

I love Neocron, and I have the utmost respect for ReaKKtor. I can't, however, understand why ReaKKtor can't spare a few hours of a day for an incredibly minor patch - which around 90% of the community has been asking for.

SnowCrash
01-10-08, 12:02
Thanks to Nidhogg for making it perfectly clear. The times where a bunch of people had a vision and just started a small development team to realize their vision are long gone, unfortunately. In very early beginning of the development of Neocron is was fairly easy to involve external people to create new game content but nowadays things have gotten far more complicated.

Todays development structures require employees to be on site, having the possibility to closely monitor their work and to step in at once if something goes wrong. Now you might ask why things have gone that strict. The reason is that nowadays much more money is being involved into game development and so you have a huge bunch of project managers, producers and supervisors sitting in your neck just waiting to bite you if you do not comply with the budget plans and schedules and provide the high quality games they are expecting from you.

Now you can start to discuss if this rather bad or good but this is simply how things are.

We appreciate every effort of our community to make the game more fun and try to support them at our best but there are barriers we even cannot cross. All I can say is to accept this and get yourself involved into the game like Nidhogg has already suggested. And bringing in 90 people from AoC is already a huge contribution to this community. ;)

spanz
01-10-08, 12:55
I'd say neocron is a game for enhusiastic maniacs.

Due to low player base, traveling over the wastelands gives another thrill of meeting someone else than mobs and if - will it be enemy or allied faction..

I've returned to neocron month ago, and after that many years, i still enjoying the game. I've done almost everything from the list which made someone in other thread (to visit different places etc, gain some objects) and i still find the game intresting. Sure everyone wants new content, sure people demands that KK treat them better.

I've passed many mmo's in my life and neocron is the only one which im returning all over again. And im sure if ill quit for some reason, ill be back again if the game will be still operating.

And about this 90 people .. god bless you if this will ever happens. Personally i've tryed to do such thing with my american clan - DoO - Defenders of Order. - We've quited playing lineage2 and was looking for new game. As people there were playing because of the people and game was only the platform, we tryed neocron. It was in the times of evolution 2.1 - unfortunately, most of peeps didnt handled many problems game cause, etc. You need to feel whats the game about and what it can offer to You.

As a summary, neocron for me is something indestuctible and will hopefully remain this way. If patch is about to happen it will happen no matter how long it will take, you still will have chance to comeback and check it out. (Imagine how i was feeling after long time, when i saw new weapon models, new rules, new everything..)

Biglines
01-10-08, 15:25
I would just like to point out that KK has told us that there is currently no development team on Neocron, so the reason there has been no patch is because they have not been working on one.

I did however read your comments and as a direct result, work on a new patch has been started and as you already know, the subscription fees have been lowered.

uhm, i guess I missed something in between this, when did work on the new patch stop again?

Necpock
01-10-08, 22:28
they just have to teach us how to use the program that they use to create the game world. now we arent that great at making code, but then again the program that they use to create content is probably something like the program that is used to create jedi knight 2 and 3 stuff...or something like the elderscrolls: Oblvion tool. these programs DONT require a knowledge of coding.

First of all.. go learn to code. If you had any knowledge of game making whatso ever, you would be knowledgeable of the fact you DO need to know how to program, in the game's "mother tongue" also helps alot too :P

Secondly, why would KK give someone the rights to play around with the game mechanics, especially to someone with obviously no idea to what he's talking about.

Thirdly, I can imagine if you decided to go and "change neocron", the first change would be all UZI names changed to "rat-a tat-tat". Yes, good one. GG <3

flib
01-10-08, 22:41
rat-a tat-tat
http://pokemonfans.de/Images/rattata.gifWhat do you want!?

silent000
02-10-08, 00:26
Thats a cat dude...

Nidhogg
02-10-08, 00:40
Ok, I think this thread has run its course. Closed.

N