PDA

View Full Version : neocron probs on new pc (and some pc questions)

[F6]Knight
22-09-08, 17:19
Hi,

I just got me a new pc.
It's pretty much a low low budget system that came as a package deal but I'm gonna upgrade it a bit over the next few months.
I was expecting it to be at least a bit better than my 2 year old pc yet I'm encountering some problems in Neocron.

The new pc is an AMD Phenon X3 8450
ATI Radeon HD 3450
3Gb DDR2 ram
and it's running windows vista (first time using vista. after 2 days I still prefer XP)

I downloaded the latest catalyst drivers yet have the following problems in neocron.
anything above 1024x768 resolution will make the world map display my location and the coloured spots for factions in the wrong positions.
I can go as high as 1680x1050 on my new monitor and really wanna play at that resolution.
I also have A LOT of lag in first person but none in 3rd person.
and when lots of things are getting hit with splash damage (like from rocket drones) then after a few minutes I get big black squares popping up on everything that gets hit with splash damage.

Obivously it aint exactly funny to get crap like that on a new pc ...

So does anyone got an idea what i could do to fix it?

as for upgrading my system, I'm not planning on upgrading the cpu the first 3-6 months.

I will upgrade the graphics card within 1-3 months and am thinking about going for a radeon 4870.
Or is that the problem here? Is radeon crap for neocron? I could also go for a Geforce 9800 GT or GTX but I've been out of the loop of pc hardware for a while.

About the ram, I'm happy with it for now and don't plan on getting more anytime soon.

For info. Neocron runs fine (except the occasional FRE's) on my old pc with a Geforce 7600GT. No graphical glitches whatsoever (not counting neocron graphic features like HUD textures on the walls in ceres labs :p)

[F6]Knight
22-09-08, 17:39
i just did some more testing and it seems that i dont have the first person lag in 1024x768x32 but the game just doesnt look focussed in that resolution on a 22 inch monitor. Any way to focus the game more in such a low resolution?

Currently I got it set to 1280x1024x32 and that seems to have taken care of some of the weird graphics bugs but it's still a bit laggy (only in 1st person)

Biglines
22-09-08, 17:52
tft monitors suck because you have to run everything in their native resolution or it will blur (you could try running windowed)

as for the black texture bugs, i get that a lot too, its a bug, don't say ur not used to that in nc...

try downgrading your graphics drivers and directX, i've heard that solve some issues

james_finn
22-09-08, 18:07
tft monitors suck because you have to run everything in their native resolution or it will blur (you could try running windowed)

as for the black texture bugs, i get that a lot too, its a bug, don't say ur not used to that in nc...

try downgrading your graphics drivers and directX, i've heard that solve some issues

downgrading graphics drivers could work - although I would like to see you downgrade DX.... Its pretty much intrinsic to Vista, so you cant make it any lower than it already is I guess.

As for the bug with the world map, the position code doesnt scale well with the monitor size - so its just something you have to get used too - I just dont use the map at all these days and just know where it is.

/Delphi

Biglines
22-09-08, 18:23
ah ye, forgot about vista....

solution to everything including world peace: trash vista and install xp (or insert any fanboy's preferred os)

[F6]Knight
22-09-08, 18:37
guess i ll have to get used to the rather blurry view in 1024*768. Or I'll just use my old pc to play NC
as for the black boxes bug. never had that in NC in all the years i've been on and off the game.

CMaster
22-09-08, 18:53
The world map can be fixed - there's a semi-approved map mod for 1680x1050 somewhere on the forums.

As for the other issues - try some older drivers. NC seems to like some and hate others.

Oh also, try turning off hardware acceleration for sound. Can fix laggy/choppy FPS.

[F6]Knight
22-09-08, 21:31
how do i turn that hardware acceleration for sound off again?