PDA

View Full Version : Free 2 Play!

kane
15-09-08, 20:24
I think its time to pull an AO and even a few dead games coming back to life like Endless Ages doing a bad job but its free lol...

Right now I know the bug but with the new BP game coming out.. It should be able pay costs to run this server... I'm not expert just a graduated IT student in many areas including network technician and I know it can be run on a nice ded box under 200/month and if it has some heavy load services it can be still split onto other boxs...

What I'm saying is lets not whine about getting updates its impossible these days and I think the time goes on the more chance it will not happen. But lets make something out of Neocron...

Lets open the game to the world for free and keep current and new players happy.. Most people know updates are impossible and don't even bother talking about it.. But I know everyone would love new blood like it was beta again and I think this would be a great time to change a few graphics on the main site and make this a free game..

Hell I would volunteer many hours a week if you wanted or needed just to see this game grow.. I have a tons of experince running game servers and most them mmorpg's.

all I'm saying is one person can do so much if it can't be any of us can you just try to spend some time and make it free 2 play and lets get this community built and make more hype as well at the same time for BP!

Biglines
15-09-08, 20:44
atm:

nc is free
servers are run on a whole cluster of servers
a patch is confirmed to be in development as we speak

fyi

kane
15-09-08, 20:49
atm:

nc is free
servers are run on a whole cluster of servers
a patch is confirmed to be in development as we speak

fyi

NC maybe a cluster of servers but I know it can be ran on a single server so people who fall for cluster of servers well sorry to hear that.. and if they really pay 1000's a month for a cluster of servers then I need to know the company's head guys email so I can get 5 of them replaced with one guy ;)

The free right now is only do to a bug.. Now if they keep perm free and announce it on the site or even on the forums and say play 1 year free or anything then people can help make this a big game once again... But we need them to confirm and let us know if there keeping it free or not...

And yes there is always a patch confirmed and they do come but not ever soon enough and that's why I just ignore the idea of a patch and set my self to the one goal...

Free to play..

Add stats cap or something even to free players.. I just think it would work out better.

specranator
15-09-08, 20:57
ive been thinking this for years, and would love to see it happen.

even if it was free maybe KK could put some more ingame add's for alienware or whoever to generate some cash flow to keep small patches coming.

the only thing id wish to see happen before it went free would be to revert back to NC 1.

ATLEAST CHANGE THE CASTING ANIMATIONS THEY LOOK SOOO GAY

:lol:

james_finn
15-09-08, 21:19
NC maybe a cluster of servers but I know it can be ran on a single server so people who fall for cluster of servers well sorry to hear that.. and if they really pay 1000's a month for a cluster of servers then I need to know the company's head guys email so I can get 5 of them replaced with one guy ;)

The free right now is only do to a bug.. Now if they keep perm free and announce it on the site or even on the forums and say play 1 year free or anything then people can help make this a big game once again... But we need them to confirm and let us know if there keeping it free or not...

And yes there is always a patch confirmed and they do come but not ever soon enough and that's why I just ignore the idea of a patch and set my self to the one goal...

Free to play..

Add stats cap or something even to free players.. I just think it would work out better.

Lol would love to see Neocron run on a single server. Infact I'm sure KK would love to see Neocron run on a single server. While I am at it can you make my code for my computer simulations (which require 400 or 500 CPU hoyrs) run on my desktop at high speed, in less time?

I love it when people who aren't qualified to talk about things which they have no idea about, think they know better than the people who developed it.

/Delphi

Biglines
15-09-08, 21:20
Lol would love to see Neocron run on a single server. Infact I'm sure KK would love to see Neocron run on a single server. While I am at it can you make my code for my computer simulations (which require 400 or 500 CPU hoyrs) run on my desktop at high speed, in less time?

I love it when people who aren't qualified to talk about things which they have no idea about, think they know better than the people who developed it.

/Delphi

i second that ;)

Brammers
15-09-08, 21:23

Neocron on a single server? Don't be so daft.

You may be able to run one zone on one server well, but not the whole neocron world. Think how many players one CS:S server can support, then add the rest of the stuff that's needed for Neocron, like mobs, NPC's, XP, items etc. Answer...not many 60-80 odd if you are lucky.

Nidhogg
15-09-08, 21:30
NC maybe a cluster of servers but I know it can be ran on a single server
Wrong. And if you're thinking of the numerous failed attempts at developing Neocron emulation servers, don't. The most anyone has ever done is implemented enough to get clients to connect and chat to each other. I believe the last one used to fall over whenever anyone tried to open a door.

N

james_finn
15-09-08, 21:33
Wrong. And if you're thinking of the numerous failed attempts at developing Neocron emulation servers, don't. The most anyone has ever done is implemented enough to get clients to connect and chat to each other. I believe the last one used to fall over whenever anyone tried to open a door.

N

Oh Nid - can I say I want your babies ;) Best answer ever.

Biglines
15-09-08, 22:41

N

isnt that the official servers? :p

on topic:
try to think on how much more data has to be processed on neocron than some stupid old point and click mmo's, instead of simple x,y and skill, you have to process all kinds of aiming, ammo, stats, armor, opposite armor, lag, boosters etc etc, most easily emulated games are easily emulated because they're so fucking simple, "oh let's attack a mob, click, done."

and I'm not even a graduated it person...

kane
16-09-08, 01:15
Meh if it needs a dozen servers with modern technology then lol I guess NC will not live on with 1000's of players like I have dreamed for many years... 2 mmo's came out almost same time.. Ones Fantasy and the others Cyber Punk.. One had jet packs the other had rockets :P

One of them was my most fav and that was Neocron but guess what the exact problem with was? like 100 players ;(

Hell Id play 20+ month if it got me more players... The only reason I want it free is not greed but need. I need to play with many more players so I can own them all since I'm one big nub :P

All jokes a side.. It be nice if the dev team shared there vision with us.. What they want to do and plan to do over the next 2 years...

ALSO talking about emu's lol... I don't like emu's but I will admit not directed to NC some people have done amazing jobs... But I can tell you from personal experince there is a big diff when these run 100 people and then off run 5000 people and run over a few boxes :D

How about you throw me a bone.. I forget is neocron zones booted when someone enters it... Does these zones have dedicated servers or a specific server or do they have a load balance where for example zone a has the ability to load on server 22 rather then 25?

Just trying to understand it more :P

IceStorm
16-09-08, 01:36
Meh if it needs a dozen servers with modern technology then lol I guess NC will not live on with 1000's of players like I have dreamed for many years...NC1's cluster suffered when it had 500+ people on a single world (I think 1000+ total across all four), but it ran. This was with servers from 2002/2003. It's not unreasonable to assume it'll run again if it were to hit such population levels.
I need to play with many more players so I can own them all since I'm one big nub :PNC's world lends itself to solo play for most tasks. If you need more people, get a few accounts and dual/triple log.
I forget is neocron zones booted when someone enters it...Zones are unloaded when no one is in them. This is why it takes up to 24 real hrs for vehicles lost in seldom-visited zones to return to ASG. Vehicles lost in a loaded zone will automatically return to ASG after an hour.

Nidhogg
16-09-08, 01:38
From what I remember there are a couple of centralised machines such as the database and login servers which are the same for all Neocron Servers (Terra, Mars etc.). Then, each Neocron Server is composed of a load balancer and a number of so-called world-servers which are capable of running multiple zones, and it's the job of the load balancer to distribute active zones out amongst them. Inactive zones that become idle are simply paged out and cease to exist until someone enters them again.

I also seem to remember that only the login server is exposed to the Internet, and all accesses to other critical servers are performed indirectly which is why it's not possible to hack into the database server from the "outside world".

That's probably enough information to get me into trouble, but I think MJS said all this a looooong time ago in any case. ;) (And if you don't know who MJS is then you're a noob ;))

N

kane
16-09-08, 01:44
From what I remember there are a couple of centralised machines such as the database and login servers which are the same for all Neocron Servers (Terra, Mars etc.). Then, each Neocron Server is composed of a load balancer and a number of so-called world-servers which are capable of running multiple zones, and it's the job of the load balancer to distribute active zones out amongst them. Inactive zones that become idle are simply paged out and cease to exist until someone enters them again.

I also seem to remember that only the login server is exposed to the Internet, and all accesses to other critical servers are performed indirectly which is why it's not possible to hack into the database server from the "outside world".

That's probably enough information to get me into trouble, but I think MJS said all this a looooong time ago in any case. ;) (And if you don't know who MJS is then you're a noob ;))

N

Me no nub :) Yeah that is a great way to run all game servers with a off the net database.. I have done that my self running main server and then from there there is a total separate network connection to a internal server with a database. Or I guess they can just shut out any outside ip besides local but then has chance :P

But yeah that's a typical server for many games. Anyways I will leave the hardware alone since its a touchy subject but I do see some good things coming out of a free to play game.. Lots of people right now would love to find a Plant Side alternative.

NAPPER
16-09-08, 02:07
The Servers are alrdy hit and miss with the amount of people playing now with the the random syncs and lag this wouldnt be playable with the amount u are looking for it will be like Saturn in NC1 that lag on there was just about playable.

I think if the servers hit anything like 25+ on Terra and Mars NC would crash like fuck with the black Syncs at the login screen that happens now never mind when a shit ton more people are playing.

Napper

awkward silence
16-09-08, 02:42
bla bla bla yadda yadda yeah umm ...but I think MJS said all this a looooong time ago in any case. ;) (And if you don't know who MJS is then you're a noob ;))

N

Yes we all know who he is... geez! He is a legend.

The thing i dont understand on these forums is, that why do people here always have to ad an "S" in Michael Jackson. MJ is fine :D

Where did he go from 10tacle btw? Neverland? Or with 10sticle to NeverNeverland?

Seezur001
16-09-08, 07:48

The thing i dont understand on these forums is, that why do people here always have to ad an "S" in Michael Jackson. MJ is fine :D

Where did he go from 10tacle btw? Neverland? Or with 10sticle to NeverNeverland?
He joined the United States Army. http://www.army.mil/-quotes/2007/08/16/4442-col-martin-schweitzer-quote/

Genji
16-09-08, 08:45
The Servers are alrdy hit and miss with the amount of people playing now with the the random syncs and lag this wouldnt be playable with the amount u are looking for it will be like Saturn in NC1 that lag on there was just about playable.

I think if the servers hit anything like 25+ on Terra and Mars NC would crash like fuck with the black Syncs at the login screen that happens now never mind when a shit ton more people are playing.

Napper

I could be wrong but I don't think current probs like random syncs and the lag spikes that have been poping up are because of the number of people on. I've seen this number of people playing before without the current lag spikes in game. THB there could one of a million things causing it.
Even if it was the cause I can deal, it's nice seeing more people playing rather then less. I've been having a blast this time back!

L0KI
16-09-08, 09:54
I am curious - You say Neocron runs on a cluster of machines... but what are the specs of these machines?

I can get 30 plus game servers totalling 1000 Counter Strike Source slots running on our 8-core machine. Now, that's a top-spec, brand new machine. NC however, I bet is far more demanding on the CPU than CS: Source!

As for the current state of NC - Yeah, it's like we have Neocron back. It's great fun again! Plenty of people around the main sectors. I just can't wait to see someone in the wastes every once in a while :)

Out of curiousity - this is completely irrelevant... When did the clipping start?
I don't remember having problems with clipping in NC1...

IceStorm
16-09-08, 10:08
I am curious - You say Neocron runs on a cluster of machines... but what are the specs of these machines?They were a bunch of P4s, given that the cluster was built in 2002.

L0KI
16-09-08, 10:32
Has there been a hardware upgrade since then?

If that is the case, then surely, for every two or three of those P4s, there could be one newer spec quad core. It'd bring the monthly cost down! :)

Snedex
16-09-08, 12:36
Out of curiousity - this is completely irrelevant... When did the clipping start?

Around NC 2.1 iirc

rob444
16-09-08, 15:34

N

Servers been using some sort of VNC client, so the servers have at least been exposed, I don't know how it is today though.

Doc Holliday
16-09-08, 16:14

:wtf:

that is a joke yes?

:wtf:

on topic.

nice putdown from nid. some people learn a little knowledge and need to prove it to everyone how clever they are.

kane. learn from it but congrats on the degree :)

Jaffo
17-09-08, 11:22

sorry to go off topic but wtf is clipping. its a phrase i had never heard of in nc1 but when i returned every one is accusing every one of clipping. wtf is it lol. i doubt im doing it as im lvling atm and it sounds like a pvp thing but it doesnt sound like a good thing so want to avoid it

flib
17-09-08, 15:19
Basically, the movement tracking lags due to anti-exploitation methods, so the player's body takes a shortcut to get to where it's supposed to be. For example, when you see someone turn a corner, they often physically go through the corner that they're going around from other player's perspective.

CMaster
17-09-08, 16:39
sorry to go off topic but wtf is clipping. its a phrase i had never heard of in nc1 but when i returned every one is accusing every one of clipping. wtf is it lol. i doubt im doing it as im lvling atm and it sounds like a pvp thing but it doesnt sound like a good thing so want to avoid it

The term "clipping" basically refers to collision detection in a game. Clipping prevents players/NPCs going through walls and indeed each other. In Neocron, the term "clip whoring" comes from the fact that Neocron's network/movement code has some errors, and sometimes players can be observed not clipping properly, and instead appearing to pass through solid objects, making them difficult to target. With a bit of experience, you can do this deliberatley. It's worth pointing out that a lot of the problems people attribute to "clipping" in Neocron are actually nothing to do with the game's clipping, but related to low update rate and some serious lag in the movement code.

flib
17-09-08, 16:44
I envy your eloquence, CMaster.

Jaffo
17-09-08, 17:21
cool thanks guys, can go back on topic now :P

flib
17-09-08, 18:11
OKAY.

Neocron is free, but I can't play because my school's network is blocking it. Ain't that a b'?

Captainrynor2
17-09-08, 21:09
lets face it neocron is a club, at the very best a small community, most people that are around have been around for a long time, the free account thing has an influx of people returning but for the most part they are old nc1'ers that thats all they want is nc1. and well some of them have left and more will leave once they fix the account payment issue so then once again it will be a club. but for all those complaining about not having new blood, cant we make the best out of what we have, isn't it nice to log on and immediately recognize 75% of the population cuz you've been friends or enemy's for years. anyone whos been around is basically like family.

that's not to say i don't want more ppl to play nc , i do, but lets make the best out of what we got, and if nc went free for ever or say 1 year and kk started putting in ads then i am sure nc would become just like ao and have a tonne of players, but do u really want that much more players, i dont think the code can handle alot of extra players ,i remember back when there was the TH gm run auctions and like 40 people all went into the auction room in TH, and everyone bitched at the 5fps they were getting. basicaly be carefull for what you wish for, an influx of freash blood also has another problem, the lack of instance type leveling zones that say wow has, u get like 200 new people and half of them trying to hunt in the aggie cellars or mb or el fiard to level, thats just nuts, and later on in mc5, even today it can be a challenge to get into mc5 sometimes, you show up and there is a group or 2 already there fighting to get techs. add on top of it each server can only support around 900ish people before its at max capacity?

I've been back for 4 months now, and when i first got back Terra (i play on terra) would hardly ever go over 7% and most of the time it was under 5%. now its up as high as 15% and adverage is 7% falls off to 3 % over night here but all in all its at least doubled. so cant we celebrate that :)

end of mindless rant

flib
17-09-08, 22:21
I just wanna play. =|
I'm pretty content with the way NC is at the moment, in fact, I was pretty content before the payment problems.

kane
22-09-08, 20:50
lets face it neocron is a club, at the very best a small community, most people that are around have been around for a long time, the free account thing has an influx of people returning but for the most part they are old nc1'ers that thats all they want is nc1. and well some of them have left and more will leave once they fix the account payment issue so then once again it will be a club. but for all those complaining about not having new blood, cant we make the best out of what we have, isn't it nice to log on and immediately recognize 75% of the population cuz you've been friends or enemy's for years. anyone whos been around is basically like family.

that's not to say i don't want more ppl to play nc , i do, but lets make the best out of what we got, and if nc went free for ever or say 1 year and kk started putting in ads then i am sure nc would become just like ao and have a tonne of players, but do u really want that much more players, i dont think the code can handle alot of extra players ,i remember back when there was the TH gm run auctions and like 40 people all went into the auction room in TH, and everyone bitched at the 5fps they were getting. basicaly be carefull for what you wish for, an influx of freash blood also has another problem, the lack of instance type leveling zones that say wow has, u get like 200 new people and half of them trying to hunt in the aggie cellars or mb or el fiard to level, thats just nuts, and later on in mc5, even today it can be a challenge to get into mc5 sometimes, you show up and there is a group or 2 already there fighting to get techs. add on top of it each server can only support around 900ish people before its at max capacity?

I've been back for 4 months now, and when i first got back Terra (i play on terra) would hardly ever go over 7% and most of the time it was under 5%. now its up as high as 15% and adverage is 7% falls off to 3 % over night here but all in all its at least doubled. so cant we celebrate that :)

end of mindless rant

True and it is a good reason to celebrate. But we can all try get even more to play.. Wonder if new accounts can even be made right now?

spikeownzu
09-10-08, 02:16
theres definetly something dysfunctional with neocron, something in the ownership/management/development has always been a little odd and mysterious....

so how can i play neocron for free?

NAPPER
09-10-08, 06:04

Yeah like for the most all the Big Names on the servers are my mates i could trust about 75% of the people i see running around these days and thats just because i know all of them from liek you have said either fighting with them or being claned with them

Asurmen Spec Op
09-10-08, 07:06
so how can i play neocron for free?
Well, it is a long and complex process.
First you must download the client, to do this you must pass many trialls and ordeals in the land of the 'net.
Once you have downloaded it, you must install it. Beware the troll!
If you have made it this far you are close! Simply run the launcher and let it patch.
Now you final task! You must launch the game! Then enter your login information! If you've made it this far you are better than the average adventurer! Once you enter your login details you must combat the Dragon to be able to select your server, but don't worry it is a weak dragon!
Now you've made it! Congradulations Runner!

I love people to who compare different game servers and expect a one to one map, especially fucking counter strike!