PDA

View Full Version : ]OT[ Nobby got his AS level results today

nobby
28-08-08, 18:02
I went to my college today and these were my results ...

English Language- C

Philosophy- U

Psychology- U

Law - U

Was a REALLY BIG fucking shock to my system...
Got kicked out in a really nice way...

Went to Connexions in town and looked at another college's course.

so tomorrow i'm going to enroll in a BTEC diploma for computer gaming (lolz)

worth like 3.5 A levels or something, so Nobby's going to be in education for another two years still... eugh

silent000
28-08-08, 18:53
Is that the National Diploma? because thats basically the course I'm doing this year, it get split up into BTEC National Diploma in Games Development and National in computer science or something...

I chose to do the computer science side as I'm not interested in games development at all, even though i am a programmer I specialize in windows application (mostly networking) so that course suited me more.

But good luck on that course Buddy, I know alot of people going into that course and it does look very nice, just not my cup of tea :cool:

Snedex
28-08-08, 21:21
eep :/

Good luck on the new course, and there's nothing wrong with being in full time education, living is a lot cheaper :D

Hell-demon
28-08-08, 21:36
I got my A levels several weeks ago.

English Language - B

Film Studies - B

Theatre Studies - C

and General Studies....U

Now I'm off to Chester University to study Journalism and PR.

naimex
28-08-08, 21:36
English Language- C

Philosophy- U

Psychology- U

Law - U

what do those letters mean?

i was educated on a thirteen scale. 00, 03, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13

there is a new scale in denmark now, its supposed to be similar to the 12 scale used in america, but even that doesnt make sense to me..

but i never understood the lettering system.

Hell-demon
28-08-08, 21:42
Is alphebetical.

A being best U being fail

It goes A, B, C, D, E, F and shameful U

Jaffo
28-08-08, 22:01
yeah in the uk education is graded using letters.

the top mark is A* (star), A, B, C, D, E, F, U.

Few years since i did exams but when i did i think E was the very lowest pass mark you could get, F and below are fails and U is ungraded. correct me if im wrong.

Hell-demon
28-08-08, 22:03
U isn't really unmarked just FAIL.

Necpock
28-08-08, 22:08
U isn't really unmarked just FAIL.

isnt that NICE YOU LOVELY LITTLE BUNNY.

Comiserations nobby, it happens though. I got kicked out of my last college course, now im in fill time employment a dnd a PISS HED

Hell-demon
28-08-08, 22:12
now im in fill time employment a dnd a PISS HED

Fine aspirations :D

Nobby, it's really common. I failed my first year. U's across the board. Started a new course at a new college and picked subjects that fitted me best. Now I'm off to Univeristy. I've met loads of students who have done this.

Stick to it.

Necpock
28-08-08, 22:22
Fine aspirations :D

Nobby, it's really common. I failed my first year. U's across the board. Started a new course at a new college and picked subjects that fitted me best. Now I'm off to Univeristy. I've met loads of students who have done this.

Stick to it.

GL with the debt :D

Hell-demon
28-08-08, 22:40
Debt but working liver...hmmmmm :p

Brammers
28-08-08, 22:47
Ouch sorry to hear that Nobby.

Just don't let it get you down, and move on... which you look like you are doing already. (Although I didn't think you would picking computer gaming!)

nobby
28-08-08, 23:39
I took it as something that looked different :p

might be fun, dunno

I need something that's coursework based as i'm shit when it comes to exams as it seems.

Would have rather got something that was one year based rather than two...

can't wait to go to Uni

nobby
28-08-08, 23:50
Here's details of my course i shall be enrolling in tomorrow:

Is this course for you
This course is aimed at individuals who would like to eventually work in the computer gaming industry. It will equip you with the skills to design, programme and develop computer games to run on today's technological systems.

What qualifications do you need to join
5 GCSEs at Grade C or above, or BTEC First Diploma in Computing (Merit), or GNVQ Intermediate ICT or equivalent (Merit).

Duration
2 Years

What will you study
Year 1 * Research Techniques for the Media Industries
* Working to a Brief in the Media Industries
* 2D Animation
* Computer Games Engine
* Object Oriented Design for Computer Games
* Computer Games Design
* Sound for Computer Games
* Internet Basics
* Computer Games Story Development

Year 2 * Pre-production Techniques for the Media Industries
* Production Management Project
* Critical Approach to Media Projects
* Digital Graphics for Interactive Media
* Film Studies
* Web Animation for Interactive Media
* 3D Modelling
* 3D Animation
* 3D Environments

How will you be assessed
All assessments will take place via written internal assignments and an external integrated vocational assignment, which is set by the awarding body. These will be internally verified by a College Internal Verifier and externally assessed by an External Assessor

What can you do after course
After successful completion of the course you could progress onto the Degree in Gaming/Media Studies at a University of your choice or pursue a good career in the gaming industry.

Additional information
Additional information can be obtained from the tutor at interview. Key Skills/Functional Skills - you will be expected to undertake these at the appropriate level.

Yeah so i'm having an interview tomorrow...

any tips?

Any questions you think might pop up?

Hell-demon
29-08-08, 00:45
Tell them you like the Leisure Suit Larry games.
:rolleyes:

CMaster
29-08-08, 01:42
Just be aware of what an NDip (and all BTEC qualifications) are - a vocational training. The aim of them is to train you in the skills to do a job in the field you are studying in. This is quite different to A levels and Bachelours degrees where (with a few exceptions at degree level) its all about expanding theoertical and academic knowledge of a subject.

Advice? Relax, they are almost certainly going to take you anyway. Tell them why you want to do said course, what experience/interest you have etc. Also perhaps talk about the fact that you have been learning japanese - most places what people with a variety of skills, not total-focus dullards.

You decided not to try and find a place that will let you continue A levels then? (although that would almost certainly also require redoing year 12 over again).

nobby
29-08-08, 01:55
i really just don't want to tbh...

Fega
29-08-08, 02:30
I'm doing a university course in Computer Games Development, start next month.

nobby
29-08-08, 03:45
Guess i won't be taking this at degree :p

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=195956

dear oh dear..

nobby
29-08-08, 15:06
Well it seems the interviewer made me change my mind from taking that Diploma in Computer gaming, and take an National Diploma in IT Practitioners.

which is more computer science and programming blah blah

CMaster
29-08-08, 15:18
Guess i won't be taking this at degree :p

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=195956

dear oh dear..

So says the Daily Mail. Who of course don't have an agenda.
I am somewhat cautious of computer game design degrees. They tend to be from new universities (which isn't bad for a vocational course, but it raises questions when none of the red-bricks run something comparable) and they all too often tend to be watered down. They don't really teach you to program, or game design, or do computer art etc etc because not enough people who want to be on these courses can do them. So instead they talk around it, maybe have you toy with flash a little...

Asurmen Spec Op
29-08-08, 16:38
Take Comp Sci, fuck that gaming specific shit.

what do those letters mean?

i was educated on a thirteen scale. 00, 03, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13

there is a new scale in denmark now, its supposed to be similar to the 12 scale used in america, but even that doesnt make sense to me..

but i never understood the lettering system.

We have a 12 point scale? wtf where?

Riddle
29-08-08, 20:33
Sorry to hear that nobby, not the news you had hoped for i bet :(

But good to see you have picked yourself up with options for a course in something you may enjoy and excel at!

Good luck m8 :)

nobby
29-08-08, 21:00
hehe thanks :p

Carrot Muncher
30-08-08, 10:24
OHHHH Suprising results :)

A C in English you overachieved it would seem. I doubt anyone in law got more than a U for a start lol.

Look at the brightside that C is worth more than getting top marks in american high school

nobby
30-08-08, 15:25
Of Course ! :D

But it doesn't help you get to University when you live in England :p

So what did you end up getting Matt?

Biglines
30-08-08, 16:12
if you want to get into the gaming industry, start working in mod teams, most of the successes i've heard about are from people making portfolio's by working on mods and maybe some indie developers.

Carrot Muncher
31-08-08, 22:04
I got
Economics-D
IT-D
Maths AS level B
Maths A2 level U

Maths -E

But im redoing A2 next year anyways so really im going into next year with a B which is good

Hell-demon
01-09-08, 00:01
Maths A levels oooohhhhh those are fakin' 'ard!

Biglines
01-09-08, 00:03
I did language A2 english, is that high? (I'm dutch, but the course was examinated by some english institute)

nobby
02-09-08, 01:24
This is where my college is... literally

http://www.vbox7.com/play:aa319379

I hope i don't get stabbed :p

Was rumoured that this was the only place in the England where Tesco refused to do home delivery :D

ah well... let's see tomorrow ;)

Carrot Muncher
02-09-08, 09:21
Well i can tell you that tesco dont deliver to where i live. :)

Enjoy your new course.

School tomoz :(