View Full Version : [OT] CS:Source Server - Communities

L0KI
29-07-08, 12:22
Hi all,

I've managed to free up enough time in my life to start gaming again (Yey!).

As of around Thursday, I'll be playing the Cron again. In addition to this, I'm setting up a Counter Strike Source server, with the following setup.

- 100 Tick, 30 slot
- Gun Game Reverse
- HL StatsX Premium, with statistics viewable on our home page

So, the reason for my post:

I am looking for any advice on building an active gaming community. So, the place to start is the server name. If anyone can provide any suggestions as to a catchy name for the server, I'd appreciate it! :)

Also - do any of you CS:S players have any favourite Gun Game maps that you can recommend?

Any pet hates? Anything you hate to see on a server?

Thanks in advance! :)

Hell-demon
29-07-08, 13:33
I love CS!

Have the office level!

I know it's over played but I love it!

AHHHHH!

I'm gonna wank myself out of existence!

Biglines
29-07-08, 13:35
I used to run the community for the gaming servers Newnet (a uk isp) used to have. That was back in the day, when it was still cs 1.4-1.5.

The key to running a community is to get an active admin team, which are selected on their qualities. Take note however, that usually the people who most want an admin position, are the worst for the job. Look out for any mature and quiet players, who tend to play the game enough to be respected for skill, but without the standard "wohah, im so 1337, i 0wn y0u!".

If someone applies for admin, always deny, and see how the person takes it. If he keeps playing maturely, has respect for every player, he might just be a good one, but generally the people who want to be admin are powerhungry teens who need the fake "respect" they gain from having the power to bitchslap every person on the server.

Next to that, get a board up and running, allowing people to go as offtopic as they want, as long as it isn't malicious or rude. Never try to moderate too much, so don't get something like a moderation queue (community killer). Same applies for moderators here, but this can wait far longer than the admin team.

I don't know the Gun Game Reverse game, but if it has stats, get them up, having stats usually keeps people around, mostly statswhores, but also people who play for fun and like their stats stored.

Hope this is any help

Jaffo
29-07-08, 13:54
deagle 5 is always a good GG map. cant remember most of them however i got most of from from fpsbanana(i think). search on there for GG maps.

also might be worth playing a few GG servers to see what maps they have. to be honest, GG reverse makes allot of sense but doesn work as people dont like it.

Okran
29-07-08, 15:04
Aye I love CS:Source, but as biglines says make sure you have an active admin team! There's a lot of cheaters around that love to ruin the game with their hax.

Generally look out for people who:

1). have a huge K/D ratio difference, like 40 kills and only 2 deaths - is usually a dead giveaway.

2). consistantly run-jump around corners and headshot people miles away the very second they're gone round the corner

3). seem to know their enemies location and already have their aim adjusted to be on their target for when they appear around a corner for the first time

4). have a good score and when coming upto a junction don't look in all directions, or always in one direction (the direction of their enemy)

5). are un-affected by flash grenade effects

Hell-demon
29-07-08, 15:23
That seems like every player.

Xian
29-07-08, 16:01
Biglines is spot on with his advice. Good luck L0KI!

Aye I love CS:Source, but as biglines says make sure you have an active admin team! There's a lot of cheaters around that love to ruin the game with their hax.

Generally look out for people who:

1). have a huge K/D ratio difference, like 40 kills and only 2 deaths - is usually a dead giveaway.

2). consistantly run-jump around corners and headshot people miles away the very second they're gone round the corner

3). seem to know their enemies location and already have their aim adjusted to be on their target for when they appear around a corner for the first time

4). have a good score and when coming upto a junction don't look in all directions, or always in one direction (the direction of their enemy)

5). are un-affected by flash grenade effects

No. 5 is the only halfway viable way to detect cheaters, the rest aren't even close. Use demos to learn about how cheaters play.

aKe`cj
29-07-08, 16:39
make your life easy with the no. 1, unmatched h4x detection method:

... ban anyone who outscores me :p

Dr J Zoidberg
29-07-08, 21:46
I play GunGame all the time. Look for the [-Q-] server's playing gg_ maps and take a selection from there...

They are allways good maps and are really populat with the servers inhabitants.

If you can get the votemap thing installed as that is really good too :)

If you need any more help just shout!

-Will

L0KI
30-07-08, 00:20
I didn't mean for my post to mislead anyone!

I actually run a Game Server Provider, but what I can say so far, is that the advice from Biglines is some of the very best I have heard. I appreciate it :)

I'll let you know when I have the server up and running, and you can come have a game with us :)

Archtemplar
30-07-08, 03:43
Make sure you blame everyone for hacking, oh ya, and don't forget the quake sound effects.

Doc Holliday
30-07-08, 14:07
The house that fun built. Rabbi style.

Hell-demon
30-07-08, 14:07
Make sure you blame everyone for hacking, oh ya, and don't forget the quake sound effects.

HUMILIATION!

Even though most of the sounds are from unreal tournament.

Dont forget to brag about killing someone with a knife, deagle or shit weapon of the week.

CMaster
30-07-08, 16:26
Even though most of the sounds are from unreal tournament.

Yeah, always confuses me when you download a bunch of sound files into a directory called "quake" yet every single clip is from UT...

Load
31-07-08, 11:30
the UT sounds are best in the female voice also... :D

Hell-demon
31-07-08, 14:50
Yeah, good wank material.

Load
31-07-08, 14:59
i'm more of a visual than an aural kind of guy tbh