PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the new server ?

Seraphin[69]
10-07-08, 11:19
For me it's mostly worse than before

Negative :

My ping is worse (20ms more than before)
More packet losses than before according to traceroute
People tends to teleport a lot more than before whern I fight them (noone is smooth at all on my screen which is annoying)
It looks like my movements are not all transmited to the server and everyone is landing 100% shots on me

Positive :

The logins go unbugged 100%

aKe`cj
10-07-08, 11:34
ping is fine for me (50-60) and apart from some dick sniping through half the sector with his devourer, PvP was rather glitchless so far.

Jaffo
10-07-08, 11:48
i havent expericenced ping problems yet but im sure i will, if i log a char on one account and try to log another char on my second account, it takes me 3 attempts to get in, in nc 1, i could relog and still see my other char on screen!

i did notice that there were allot of people being kind to one an other and the general spirit of things was good, lots of people were helping the new guys and taking a positive attitude towards increasing the server population.

there were of course the nob heads who were telling people asking for help to press alt f4 and just generally flamming the help channel. It is these people that put people off the game for being complete cocks to everyone and yet moan about the population being so small. Granted they may be big headed about being quite a good player, doesnt mean that they can be a general cock.

vices
10-07-08, 12:04
There are no new servers IIRC, they only relocated them

But I see your point

I can't say myself until I reactivate

Asurmen Spec Op
10-07-08, 14:25
Where in meatspace( :P ) are the new servers located?

Matanius
10-07-08, 17:09
there were of course the nob heads who were telling people asking for help to press alt f4 and just generally flamming the help channel. It is these people that put people off the game for being complete cocks to everyone and yet moan about the population being so small. Granted they may be big headed about being quite a good player, doesnt mean that they can be a general cock.

While I agree that ripping in to new players is infantile and counter-productive I can't help but think that if a new player can't handle a bit of flaming then they are not cut out for this game. I don't condone people being asshats however. Sorry for being slightly OT there.

No problems so far as the 'new' servers go but I've only been on a little bit at a time.

Seraphin[69]
10-07-08, 17:26
Where in meatspace( :P ) are the new servers located?

They are hosted in Germany according to the subnet

http://www.qsc.de/

Archtemplar
10-07-08, 19:11
I notice pings can be anywheres from 20ms to 50ms worse (around 170ms - 200ms). I've had a couple of weird sync bugs while fighting a crawler that caused me to disconnect. When I reconnected I was (thankfully) at the beginning of Regents unharmed. But oddly enough the sector reset and my team was disband and my teamate disapeared... :confused: I also experience slight trouble when longing on toons (infini-sync).

Apocalypsox
10-07-08, 19:37
Ive got a ping of 225 minimum now. Quite unpleasent, but bearable i guess. haven't tried any PVP or anything, so meh

Okran
10-07-08, 20:18
My ping is roughly 80 - 200, bandwidth 100 - 200.
That's actually slightly better than before.

Only bad experience so far was in p2 last night when some tank called Slez took out his flamer and did over 800 points of damage in 3 seconds! I will need to do more testing to confirm if this is normal, but I doubt it.

MrTrip
10-07-08, 21:09
I'm curious as to what hardware the server has, disk space, and such.

IIRC the french had their own server, what about the US having its own server? Its slightly unfair that the European players have 60-90 ping while the rest of us have 170-200 ping.

Nidhogg
10-07-08, 21:18
You do know that it's a whole cluster of machines and not just one? There were 40 in the cluster when NC 2 launched I believe.

N

MrTrip
10-07-08, 21:26
You do know that it's a whole cluster of machines and not just one? There were 40 in the cluster when NC 2 launched I believe.

N

Oh...well.... a cluster of 40 servers to run Neocron eh?

Son of a bitch. I was thinking of dropping maybe $1,000 towards a US server but jesus I don't think I could afford 40 :(

Rambus
10-07-08, 21:27
There were 40 in the cluster

N

;)

aKe`cj
10-07-08, 21:28
IIRC the french had their own server, what about the US having its own server? Its slightly unfair that the European players have 60-90 ping while the rest of us have 170-200 ping.

You are most welcome to find a US license contractor that is willing and able to negotiate a contract with 10tacle and Reakktor and host a NC server :angel:

the french server was located in the same datacenter as all the others btw... it was just the server language being french and a different company (alchemic dream) running the support and GM event/content activities.

;)

Would you charter the same jumbo to fly 20 people to timbuktu that you used to fly 200 with? I wouldn't.

MrTrip
10-07-08, 21:34
You are most welcome to find a US license contractor that is willing and able to negotiate a contract with 10tacle and Reakktor and host a NC server :angel:

the french server was located in the same datacenter as all the others btw... it was just the server language being french and a different company (alchemic dream) running the support and GM event/content activities.

Meh...I wouldn't mind getting ahold of somebody at KK to discuss this further. I mean come on...US population would skyrocket with a good server and just a little advertisement.

Setlec
11-07-08, 06:42
i think that server use p4 processors... 40 server in Cluster???? just a stupid question what database software are you using for NC? access? MySQL? Oracle? MS SQL server? DB2 (IBM)?

Nytewolf2k7
11-07-08, 08:14
Well there's still a few kinks in the system, but I'm sure they'll be worked out in time ;)

Rob01m
11-07-08, 08:53
just a stupid question what database software are you using for NC? access? MySQL? Oracle? MS SQL server? DB2 (IBM)?

MySQL

Asurmen Spec Op
11-07-08, 09:20
My time in the server today was perfectly stable. A first I must say.

MadMeleeFreak
11-07-08, 09:56
MySQL
Where did you take that info from?
One of the devs answered that question a long time ago, saying they're using a modified Oracle Database.

Nidhogg
11-07-08, 10:20
No, it's a modified MySQL database. There's no such thing as a modified Oracle database. ;)

N

Rob01m
11-07-08, 10:27
Thanks Nidhogg. :cool:

Anyways, my ping is 120 - 150, same as before.

I did notice a higher incidence of character warping, but it could just be a coincidence. More specifically, the kind of warping where someone uses their apartment lift, and another character warps in after them. I've had it happen both ways already, where I was running through plaza 1 and suddenly warped into someones apartment (I was still my own character), and had someone warp in my apartment. :p

Other than that I don't think I noticed any other problems yet.

MrSquish
11-07-08, 14:07
I'm curious as to what hardware the server has, disk space, and such.

English != US only ... what about Great Britain, what about countries like Italy, Russia, Sweden ... which don't have a localized Neocron.

So ... it's more an international server and germany as the providing country for the server hosting is the best site.

NAPPER
11-07-08, 14:15
Well there's still a few kinks in the system, but I'm sure they'll be worked out in time ;)

WOW i think someone said the same in Beta ;)

MrTrip
12-07-08, 01:25
English != US only ... what about Great Britain, what about countries like Italy, Russia, Sweden ... which don't have a localized Neocron.

So ... it's more an international server and germany as the providing country for the server hosting is the best site.

I mean a US based server, not just english there cupcake. Somewhere where we can compete with the other players without worrying about pings being out the roof and warping.

Archtemplar
12-07-08, 03:11
I mean a US based server, not just english there cupcake. Somewhere where we can compete with the other players without worrying about pings being out the roof and warping.

The last thing we need is a dilution of the player base.

terraman
12-07-08, 05:30
if they had more players i'd definately move (i'm uk)

D31C1D3
12-07-08, 09:10
A US server would be really awesome!

MrTrip
12-07-08, 18:51
A US server would be really awesome!

And with a US server, some advertisement here and there, population would spike hardcore. Its a fun game, addictive game, good looking game, it just needs the advertisement and the stable ping to make people like it.

GRIM
13-07-08, 15:18
And with a US server, some advertisement here and there, population would spike hardcore. Its a fun game, addictive game, good looking game, it just needs the advertisement and the stable ping to make people like it.

This isnt all it needs, but he is right. The only place you can get a copy of NC is to import it into the states. The last time I seen a copy of NC was when NC1 came out for the first time back in 2002. After that, retailers started liquidizing what copies they had left, just to get rid of them. No advertisement to tell people where to find you, and youll bleed to death from a paper cut. Ofcourse a lot of people have told KK to advertise advertise advertise and its just not happening in the states. However, when 10tacle joined with NC, I started to see more advertisement on the MMORPG websites. Then it started to go back down to non-existant once again. I have said previously what I think NC should have to bring players back, but what good is constant content updates if no one is coming to play?

Dribble Joy
13-07-08, 17:15
Haven't noticed anything different really, ping's the same, anything different is probably due to moving house since the server went down.

nobby
13-07-08, 18:04
KK if anything should make their OWN advertisation packs for us, we all wanna help KK yet they don't give us any pointers nor do we see any advertising of their own.

I feel it's just tits up and nothing good gonna happen soon

Apocalypsox
13-07-08, 20:10
Meh, we won't get much until BP is done or nearing done. then we might get more than a skeleton team back on NC. maybe even some of those pretty new graphics designers moving over to NC to give us some pretty graphics.

GRIM
13-07-08, 23:09
maybe even some of those pretty new graphics designers moving over to NC to give us some pretty graphics.

Don't get your hopes up.

Also I didn't say what I thought about the topic... heh... I don't see a difference in the server stability or ping issues. It seems as if it had never changed locations to me. I am content with the excellent work the guys did on the migration of the servers. A job well done.

zii
14-07-08, 14:52
My ping was a very stable 92m/s. After the date centre move the latency varies between 110 and 139. What changed?

Marx
15-07-08, 00:43
I feel it's just tits up and nothing good gonna happen soon

Isn't that the way things have been for awhile though?

nobby
15-07-08, 20:29
of course... but it seems we've got used to just allowing this

: \

If KK would pull their finger out on something as simple as a poster being designed for advertisement, i'd have no objection to putting them up around towns and on trains etc...

seems noone gives a shit

NAPPER
16-07-08, 04:58
Im Loving it got back in game yesturday and i managed to get 86 rares and fix my symp and even get a op war or two i feel like its NC 2.1 again :D

the ping is like between 20-50 so not that bad.

zii
16-07-08, 14:16
My ping was a very stable 92m/s. After the date centre move the latency varies between 110 and 139. What changed?

The latency has improved for me since my last post. It was about 96 m/s on Mars last night with about 8% server pop, and both figures are quite fine.

Otherwise, I have not noticed any difference except the increased player count which is great. Even had a couple of nice OP fights.