PDA

View Full Version : Could this work?

Saiyuki-
05-07-08, 20:23
Ok... The PS3 can have linux put on it ... Could it be possible to install neocron to my PS3 with yellowdog on it ? XDDD

MrTrip
05-07-08, 21:39
Um....actually....yes I think it would be possible.

Try to follow the WIKI guide to installing Neocron and let me know if you run into any problems.

Saiyuki-
05-07-08, 22:45
ok well... I burned my yellowdog disc wrong so i have to re burn it... I will do that later today, but I have NO EXPERIENCE with linux, and I know its a little more complicated than windows, so I will probably have trouble with it :|

MrTrip
05-07-08, 22:59
Eh its pretty easy, just don't brick your ps3? I'm not sure of the installation procedure for Linux on a PS3 but I can help you once you are all setup.

As for playing with the controller? I don't think that will be much fun but I guess you can try?

Suppose mapping a mouse movement to the right thumbstick and wasd (movement keys) to the left thumbstick?...again I'm not really sure here on this.

Saiyuki-
05-07-08, 23:00
you have to partion the ps3's hard drive... Linux is installed, and it is just like a pc with linux on it basically... You use a mouse and keyboard.

Biglines
05-07-08, 23:33
so, the reason for doing it then is.... cuz u can?

Saiyuki-
05-07-08, 23:34
yep pretty much

Brammers
07-07-08, 12:03
One question, since I know don't not a lot about PS3's except they got some nice cell CPU's in them, is what do you use for the X86 emulation bit?

naimex
07-07-08, 15:32
One question, since I know don't not a lot about PS3's except they got some nice cell CPU's in them, is what do you use for the X86 emulation bit?

Plutonium...

Do they require emulation?

Don't they have that sort of thing built-in, or atleast built into the linux os?

I thought consoles were built up like those terminal thingies, like a print server or an sql server, you know the dedicated ones, that due to the OS can't perform anything other than what they are meant to do.

But I've always thought it was just a matter of changing the OS to make it capable of performing normally, even though it probably would stink at it, since they usually aren't meant for gaming.