PDA

View Full Version : can i have an official response on this please!

Jaffo
30-06-08, 09:36
Hola,

Sorry to make a actual thread about this but PM's dont seem to get responded too.

however as some of you may know from my previous threads, i have severe diffuclty in reading the text in game due to the font. It has become apparent having spoken to others about this that i am not the only person.

I need to know, offically as no one really knows, if we are allowed / able to change the font.

Please don't direct me to previous threads about rules and regs and stuff. I would just like to know yes or no. and if yes, how to do it!

thanks

nabbl
30-06-08, 09:39
You are able to.

And i think you are allowed to. Its just renaming or deleting fonts files in your Neocron folder.

Nothing special about it. I did it several times.

Jaffo
30-06-08, 11:51
so is this a yes?

nabbl
30-06-08, 12:08
Well as far as i know, every change in the client itself is forbidden except editing the .ini files and inserting RPOS-Files.

But i dont think that anyone will blame you for using the normal ARIAL Font. Because u dont have any real advantage in the game.

I would suggest u just delete/move/rename the "BRICKLE_.TTF" and the "rpos.ttf".

As far as i know a guy called Marc Hoover here in the forums used a "change-fonts"-feature in his ultimate launcher. But i am not sure if he has the official GO for this.

Riddle
30-06-08, 14:37
Personally Font selection should be a bloody option catered for in game nevermind having to ask to change it!

I find the font incredibly annoying and i would stick my neck out and say this thread would have been stomped on should it be seen as an infringement on the rules, surely?

Jaffo
30-06-08, 16:00
thats just the point, there have been so many cheaters in this game over the past that KK say you cant amend anything so cheating is avoided. which im all up for, cheaters do my head in on any game.

however for something as 'petty' as being able to read what your typing or what items are what or players name, i have to stop, get so close i could lick my screen just to see what i am pointing at. now im sure you agree, this wouldnt work in pvp.

so as requested (in the nicest possible way) can a GM please state yes you can change your font or no you cant. if its a no because it means changing some files, thats ok, but would you be able to have something in game to amend it (some sort of tool type of thing that can be used that is approved by kk????)

thanks

Jaffo
30-06-08, 20:25
***bump***

any chance of a GM response?

Dont Mess
30-06-08, 21:16
jaffo needs glasses !

no but seriously the old nc 1 font was brilliant. I play in window mode so its even harder ! i sometimes have to elnarge the window because 116 and 118 on weapon stats look the same !

Brammers
30-06-08, 21:52
This is the last post I can find on modification of font files. http://forum.neocron.com/showpost.php?p=2036196&postcount=3 looks like fonts are on the no list.

The amount of PM's I get from people for item DB updates where I've got a 6 and an 8 mixed up is too many to count, or sometimes I get updates where people have misread the 6 or 8.

The font used in the game, is in my top 10 biggest issues about the game. Give us a new readable font KK, even if it's Arial.

Jaffo
30-06-08, 23:12
i do not need glasses, i see all. excpet in game font.

with brammers on the case im sure that we should get a GM response. GO BRAMMERS!

Biglines
01-07-08, 01:08
Seeing as hoder didn't bother to answer, I'd just do it, it's not like you didn't try to get permission... pm's, email, forum posts with a good title...

Jaffo
01-07-08, 09:56
are you telling me to break the law? BREAKING THE LAW BREAKING THE LAW

come on GM's read your forums

Nidhogg
01-07-08, 12:45
As I understand it changes that are outside of the ini files are not permitted. My advice (until I can get something more concrete) would be not to attempt to change the font as you may be inadvertently flagged by the system as a hacker.

Not the answer you were hoping for I know, so I'll try and get a second opinion.

N

Asurmen Spec Op
01-07-08, 12:57
As I understand it changes that are outside of the ini files are not permitted. My advice (until I can get something more concrete) would be not to attempt to change the font as you may be inadvertently flagged by the system as a hacker.

Not the answer you were hoping for I know, so I'll try and get a second opinion.

N
Don't make the poor guy break the law :'(.
Plus I can't see the risk in editing the fonts, I can't imagine a way to make them give an unfair advantage or put your system at risk.

Unless these are magic fonts O_O

Jaffo
01-07-08, 13:06

N

thanks Nid, i will and im sure other will also, wait eargerly for an update for this

Jaffo
02-07-08, 12:33
any news yet niddy?

Nidhogg
02-07-08, 14:40
Nothing formal, I'm afraid. I'll post when I have something.

N

Jaffo
02-07-08, 15:18
thanks darling

naimex
02-07-08, 15:18
Don't make the poor guy break the law :'(.
Plus I can't see the risk in editing the fonts, I can't imagine a way to make them give an unfair advantage or put your system at risk.

Unless these are magic fonts O_O

didn't you know?

All GM's wrote with an elvish font, so everytime they wrote a word, it triggered an effect.

Which is why trees often float in wastelands...

JUST THINK OF THE DAMAGES IF IT FELL INTO THE WRONG HANDS!!!

Trees hovering everywhere, attacking from above, stomping and rooting everyone they land on... no one will expect it coming... everyone will die.. 8|

DO NOT MESS WITH THE FONTS!

Asurmen Spec Op
02-07-08, 23:54
didn't you know?

All GM's wrote with an elvish font, so everytime they wrote a word, it triggered an effect.

Which is why trees often float in wastelands...

JUST THINK OF THE DAMAGES IF IT FELL INTO THE WRONG HANDS!!!

Trees hovering everywhere, attacking from above, stomping and rooting everyone they land on... no one will expect it coming... everyone will die.. 8|

DO NOT MESS WITH THE FONTS!
Oh My God...

MrTrip
03-07-08, 00:32
Not to be picky...but us Linux players have regular Arial fonts as default....not sure why, probably because the NC fonts are not installed.. I feel pretty.

In fact, a lot of things are more NC1ish playing in Linux than Windows, such as movement feels MUCH smoother, the client has FAR less FRE's, in fact, I only had one, you can alt+tab in an outside environment no problem, fonts are readable, and everything is just much nicer.

Requesting NC be dumped for Windows and further production in Linux only! Ha HA! *waits for the stones*

nobby
03-07-08, 08:30
I know what might help you actually...

When i once changed the language settings in control panel from US English to Japanese (deleted english so Japanese only) I was surprised that this affected the text in NC, making it slightly bigger, can't remember if the HUD text changed, but i remember the spoken (above character) and damage given text was affected by this and looked a bit cooler.

Give it a try

Jaffo
03-07-08, 08:47
i cant read japanese!!!!

danmalone
03-07-08, 11:14
i cant read japanese!!!!

:wtf:

What makes you think would would need to? Everyone/most people speak english in the chat channels ;)

Jaffo
03-07-08, 11:20
he changed the language on his computer to japanese which would result in everything on the computer being in japanese.....wouldnt it?

nellus
03-07-08, 11:52
I thought Neocron only supported English, German and French. As the scripts are only in these languages it would be impossible for the scripts to appear in Japanese.

I may will be wrong though.

nobby
03-07-08, 17:36
*tut* just try and see...

Asurmen Spec Op
04-07-08, 11:56
I set Vista to use Japanese for the main language a while ago and I don't have any trouble with it, and hell I have minimal reading skillz.

Jaffo
05-07-08, 12:47
any news yet niddy?

Forked
05-07-08, 14:04
Nvm.. Next time I will maybe READ the first post. :P

Jaffo
08-07-08, 08:53
so....... is there anything official yet ???????????????????

SnowCrash
08-07-08, 10:46
Sorry for the delayed answer. I had to consult several people about it.

Any changes made to the client files execpt for those that have been officially authorised are not permitted.

If you have problems reading the font it might help to decrease the resolution a bit.

Dont Mess
08-07-08, 11:14

Any changes made to the client files execpt for those that have been officially authorised are not permitted.

If you have problems reading the font it might help to decrease the resolution a bit.

Seriously thats the worst responce ever ! its a really shitty font ! cant you just make a new 1 and upload it on a patch (yes a patch remember what they are) surley it cant be that hard ! that way you will be OFFICIALLY changing the font and no1 will play with their client files.

come on KK

CMaster
08-07-08, 11:18
Seriously thats the worst responce ever ! its a really shitty font ! cant you just make a new 1 and upload it on a patch (yes a patch remember what they are) surley it cant be that hard ! that way you will be OFFICIALLY changing the font and no1 will play with their client files.

come on KK

I've been over this with them before. We had a guy in clan who we pretty much had to read all the text to. No hope of any changes mind...

nabbl
08-07-08, 11:20

come on KK

[ edited ]

Stoney is asking for an official response on the legalness of changing the colour and because the answer is "NO" you are flaming the poor dev who was that kind to answer?
Thats just the typical behaviour of the community in that days.

Just shut up and change your resolution or break the rules and change your font. Snowcrash gave you a possible solution, so just use it or uninstall the game.

And to everyone who will call me a KK-Fanboy -> GO TO HELL!

Jaffo
08-07-08, 11:21
thanks for the response snowcrash however im a little disappointed with the outcome.

now i dont know the technical issues behind creating a new font and releasing to everyone, but is this not at all possible????

granted its not stopping me from playing, far from it, it just makes the game so much harder having to stop and get close to the screen.

is there absolutely no lee-way with this???? can't KK introduce a change font section???? or something?

ps, im not moaning, im just trying to work around the answer - ie, is it no because it simply isnt possible to introduce this or dunno.

Brammers
08-07-08, 11:27

So what are KK's plans to make the font readable at standard resolutions of say 1280x1024 and 1024x768?

SnowCrash
08-07-08, 11:38
So what are KK's plans to make the font readable at standard resolutions of say 1280x1024 and 1024x768?

Currently there are no plans for that. At the time when Neocron 1 and 2 was released the standard resolution was 1024x768. At this resolution the font is readable quite well.

I do not exactly know what has to be technically done to adjust the H.U.D. code to exchange the fonts. From my experience with the development of the game I can say that this is not just done by hitting some buttons and turning some switches.

Dont Mess
08-07-08, 11:39
Oh my god, you are just that stupid... -.-

Stoney is asking for an official response on the legalness of changing the colour and because the answer is "NO" you are flaming the poor dev who was that kind to answer?
Thats just the typical behaviour of the community in that days.

Just shut up and change your resolution or break the rules and change your font. Snowcrash gave you a possible solution, so just use it or uninstall the game.

And to everyone who will call me a KK-Fanboy -> GO TO HELL!

[ edited ] it wasnt the colour of the font it was the font its self. Im not flaming, i just think its pathetic that they cant introduce a new font ! changing the resolution does not change a thing. KK have not patched in almost a year now. Its not like we are asking for new char skins or something that requires alot of work. Its something which memebers of this community have already developed and implemented but now are told they cannot use it. Asking for a new client file to be introduced is not too much to ask for.

Biglines
08-07-08, 11:40
the reason it's probably not allowed is because in order to put the font on the authorized files list (these are a folder of files normally not in neocron) they would have to patch that in so the inbuilt modification checker doesn't go like "woot! anti hamster software detected"... and well... patches... lol!

Dont Mess
08-07-08, 11:44
anti hamster software LOL

Brammers
08-07-08, 11:49
Currently there are no plans for that. At the time when Neocron 1 and 2 was released the standard resolution was 1024x768. At this resolution the font is readable quite well.

Incorrect. The font was perfectly readable in Neocron 1 at 1024x768, it became hard to read in Neocron 2.

Here is a Neocron 1 screenshot - please look at the Item information box.

http://www.techhaven.org/albums/cst/shot0033.jpg

Here is a Neocron 2 screenshot (Evo 2.1 to be exact)

http://www.techhaven.org/albums/bram21evo/aam.jpg

You tell me which is easier to read.

Jaffo
08-07-08, 11:54
Go Brammers!

Biglines
08-07-08, 11:55
I sense an official silence coming on!

nellus
08-07-08, 11:57
One difference between your 2 screen shots is that NC1 boxes are opaque the other isn't and that does make a big difference when trying to read the text.

I have my hud transparrent and sometimes depending on what im actually facing struggle to read the text, so i just face smething else a different background.

Dont Mess
08-07-08, 12:01
brammers beat me 2 it ! i swear the first thing i said when i logged on to nc2 was OMG look at the shit font ! THIS IS WHY NC SHOULD BE IN HIS BASEMENT !

NC1 font was THE BEST !

Jaffo
08-07-08, 12:05
I sense an official silence coming on!

this is exactly what i and im sure everyone else doesnt want to happen. i would just like to know if it is possible to make this change / add a new font or something. this would actually help people, again, i dont know the ins and outs of the technical stuff but im guessing that its not a 'huge' project to implement.

can everyone just stop flaming and abusing KK / the gms etc, the more you do that the less they will respond / help and i really would like to see if we can get this sorted out and with your abuse it defo aint gonna happen.

next person to abuse is getting thier Cervix Ruptured

Biglines
08-07-08, 12:07
sorry bout that, just from experience when I asked for official responses, but if you want I can see if I can make you a non-transparent item list and chat window, maybe that helps?

Jaffo
08-07-08, 12:11
i have no idea what your talking about but considering we are in the same clan every little helps :)

Biglines
08-07-08, 12:18
It's possible to make a new "theme" for the interface, so that behind the text everywhere is a solid colour, instead of transparancy (one of the main issues with reading text properly I believe is contrast). Then if you also change this background colour to black, it will be white text on black background or something, meaning you can read better. Of course not as good as changing the font, but this is the only modification currently allowed. (need confirmation on colour ini's though)

Biglines
08-07-08, 12:20
but since probably the servers won't be back up today, and I'd have to do some testing ingame to get a proper effect, I can't give it to you now as I'm going on a holiday tomorrow. I'll redo the chat windows to be non-transparent, but you'll have to ask someone like brammers to help you with the colour scheme.

CMaster
08-07-08, 12:23
but since probably the servers won't be back up today, and I'd have to do some testing ingame to get a proper effect, I can't give it to you now as I'm going on a holiday tomorrow. I'll redo the chat windows to be non-transparent, but you'll have to ask someone like brammers to help you with the colour scheme.

I was pretty sure they were non-transparent by deafult, but I could be wrong.
This tool (http://www.techhaven.org/component/option,com_docman/Itemid,132/task,doc_details/gid,101/) provides a user-friendly way of editing your rpos colours.

Jaffo
08-07-08, 12:29
your all so helpfull - kisses

Biglines
08-07-08, 12:31
take a look at brammers' screenshot, they are very transparant

i have done modifications to the theme now

first download this (http://ng.neocron.com/fileadmin/nc21_downloads/NEOCRON2_ORIGINAL_RPOS_FILES_updated.rar)

then extract the archive and copy all files into /yourNeocrondirectory/gfx/rposv3/

then download URL=http://www.biglines.nl/rpos.rar (http://www.biglines.nl/rpos.rar), extract and put them in the same directory and overwrite

but, since I have no idea without testing if this will work (my guess is it will, but don't hold it against me), if it doesnt (after you use CMasters link to modify colour (change the colour of the hud to something dark), see if someone else can help, or wait till I get back

CMaster
08-07-08, 12:34
take a look at brammers' screenshot, they are very transparant

i have done modifications to the theme now

first download this (http://ng.neocron.com/fileadmin/nc21_downloads/NEOCRON2_ORIGINAL_RPOS_FILES_updated.rar)

then extract the archive and copy all files into /yourNeocrondirectory/gfx/rposv3/

then download URL=http://www.biglines.nl/rpos.rar (http://www.biglines.nl/rpos.rar), extract and put them in the same directory and overwrite

but, since I have no idea without testing if this will work (my guess is it will, but don't hold it against me), if it doesnt (after you use CMasters link to modify colour (change the colour of the hud to something dark), see if someone else can help, or wait till I get back

My point is that Brammers may well have customised his transparent.
Also, if you are just using the default RPOS files, the adjustment of colour is also adjusting transparency - you can change the RGB and Alpha channels.

Jaffo
08-07-08, 12:36
would this effect the text of players name when you lock onto them etc? or is it just for item text?

Brammers
08-07-08, 12:38
One difference between your 2 screen shots is that NC1 boxes are opaque the other isn't and that does make a big difference when trying to read the text.

I have my hud transparrent and sometimes depending on what im actually facing struggle to read the text, so i just face smething else a different background.

My screenshots where to demostrate the different fonts used. The NC1 fonts is slightly bigger, but makes a hell of a difference.

As for the hud schemes, I use the built in ones. It's number 5 or 6 I think, which is a semi-transparent of schemes 0 or 1. Just use /set gfx_hudcolor

SnowCrash
08-07-08, 12:59
Incorrect. The font was perfectly readable in Neocron 1 at 1024x768, it became hard to read in Neocron 2.

Here is a Neocron 1 screenshot - please look at the Item information box.

Here is a Neocron 2 screenshot (Evo 2.1 to be exact)

You tell me which is easier to read.

We could easily argue the whole day about which font is easier to read. Fact is that 1. It is not permitted to change the game's font and 2. That it is not possible to adjust the system to support other fonts without larger technical effort.

Jaffo
08-07-08, 13:00
is that a yes we will change the font for you?

CMaster
08-07-08, 13:14
is that a yes we will change the font for you?
It's a no they won't.
"Greater technical effort" means "too much work to be bothered, especially when development on NC has ceased"

Jaffo
08-07-08, 13:18
It's a no they won't.
"Greater technical effort" means "too much work to be bothered, especially when development on NC has ceased"

is it actually quite a technical effort to add a font?

SnowCrash
08-07-08, 13:28
is it actually quite a technical effort to add a font?

It is not just done by adding it. The whole H.U.D. has to be adjusted to fit the new font. Also the system itself has to be adjusted to support the font.

I fully understand your concern but believe me when I say that most things are not realisable without large work effort, especially in case of Neocron using aged technology.

Biglines
08-07-08, 13:28
nvm, beat me to it

Jaffo
08-07-08, 13:36
ok cool thanks snowcrash.

so....

i guess onlything left is to test everyones idea about changing the colours. i presume as the serevers are down at the minute that its not possible to test them.

Brammers
08-07-08, 13:43
We could easily argue the whole day about which font is easier to read. Fact is that 1. It is not permitted to change the game's font and 2. That it is not possible to adjust the system to support other fonts without larger technical effort.

You are right, we could argue about which font is easier to read all day, although I wouldn't need all day to argue about it. A quick show of hands in the office would sort that argument out in less than 5 minutes.

It is a great disappointment to read, that KK will not allow/support any community effort to adjust the font, since it's not permitted to change the font. I'm also disappointed at the lack of resources that KK is willing to put into Neocron.

Jaffo
08-07-08, 13:45
Go Brammers GO!

Biglines
08-07-08, 13:55
the reason it's probably not allowed is because in order to put the font on the authorized files list (these are a folder of files normally not in neocron) they would have to patch that in so the inbuilt modification checker doesn't go like "woot! anti hamster software detected"... and well... patches... lol!

I think it's not so much willingness to allow it, that could be given, but lack of willingness to put out a new patch that will incorporate this stuff

SnowCrash
08-07-08, 14:16
ok cool thanks snowcrash.

so....

i guess onlything left is to test everyones idea about changing the colours. i presume as the serevers are down at the minute that its not possible to test them.

You can test it while the servers are offline. Just create a shortcut of the Neocron client.exe, right-click it and select properties. Then add PlayTutorial behind client.exe (e.g. /yourneocronfolder/client.exe PlayTutorial)and save it. You are then able to run the client offline with the tutorial directly starting.

Biglines
08-07-08, 14:28
I updated the files, now showing the attached screenshot, with most of the text colours changed to white or black

Biglines
08-07-08, 14:34
would this effect the text of players name when you lock onto them etc? or is it just for item text?

what I did was just item text background (and colour) and the background of chat window

the player's name is colour coded to represent his soullight (green good, etc)
the faction colour represents if you can pk him (red), neutral n allied (green), so changing that to white would disable differentiating between those things, so that can't be helped without change

Biglines
08-07-08, 14:36
Not to be picky...but us Linux players have regular Arial fonts as default....not sure why, probably because the NC fonts are not installed.. I feel pretty.

In fact, a lot of things are more NC1ish playing in Linux than Windows, such as movement feels MUCH smoother, the client has FAR less FRE's, in fact, I only had one, you can alt+tab in an outside environment no problem, fonts are readable, and everything is just much nicer.

Requesting NC be dumped for Windows and further production in Linux only! Ha HA! *waits for the stones*

snowcrash, could you respond to this? as it seems it's not a question of having to edit everything to have it fit, but just not using the nc font?

maybe its even a solution for you, installing a linux boot and run nc from that? I mean, if you're getting really bad eyes from those fonts?

Jaffo
08-07-08, 14:36
cool that helps a bit however im still struggiling. would the players name / clan / faction appear like this also or would that remian the same????

thanks for all your help guys

Jaffo
08-07-08, 14:40
sorry just saw your post

Jaffo
08-07-08, 19:05
ok ijust found a folder called fonts in the nc2 section.

it has fonts called:

Arial
arialbd
arilblk
brickle
handgb
hilogi
rpos
spredtal

now, stupid question, but if i deleted all except say 1 of them, would all the ingame fonts default to the one thats left??? would that work? is it allowed as technially i wouldnt be editing anything i would be deleting permantly?

Nidhogg
08-07-08, 19:09
It's not one of the things you're legally allowed to alter so my advice would be to follow Snowcrash's lead; just leave it alone and use a lower resolution.

N

Jaffo
08-07-08, 19:15
thats cool, im just trying to think of a way for me to have a decent font, as i say i dont want to do anything im not allowed to do so i wont do it.

would something this big to quite allot of players mean that maybe KK would look into making the font better / changing it?

i know its allot of hard work and stuff but could whoever builds the game not have it put on his to do list?

ps, im very very very very stupid with computers, im still trying to find the nc tutorial lol so i can fanny about offline so changing the resolution is gonna take me a while lol. i only play games and look at porn on computers, when they break i buy a new one!