PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Nobby's psychology coursework, need ideas...

nobby
24-06-08, 17:35
Hello there,

For my A level in psychology, i am required to do a psychological experiment. I came up with the idea of doing a "cross-cultural study into the competitiveness of British and Japanese men when confronted with an electric shock game." However though the way of harm seems quite little, my teacher totally recommends me against it.

Problem is, it can't be unethical in really any harm means...

So i'm just wondering... What do you think i should do?

I wanna do something thats a little more exciting than "see if people conform to other scores on a sheet when confronted with a "count the beans in a jar game."

james_finn
24-06-08, 18:22
Nobby you could always do a study into whether there is any founding behind the name "Neocrack". You could wait for the servers to go down for a week and get a couple of people who could be considered to be addicted to report on their activities before for a week, and during for a week, then correlate the information?

Otherwise no idea :P

/Delphi

Selket
24-06-08, 19:37
Since u make a experiment u could do some real good for the mankind.

U can evaluate How a gamer can reach his Optimum

How much sleep he need, what kind of EnergyDrink is the best, an so on.

That would help millions Of Noobs and would make the world a bit more....Pr0

naimex
24-06-08, 22:03
Since u make a experiment u could do some real good for the mankind.

U can evaluate How a gamer can reach his Optimum

How much sleep he need, what kind of EnergyDrink is the best, an so on.

That would help millions Of Noobs and would make the world a bit more....Pr0

... real pro's know that the only way to be at your best, is to disengage the brain and play on intuition and reflex.

Therefore you need as little sleep as possible, and as much coffeine as possible, thus making the mind get so exhausted it shuts off, and stops making your body do what you think is best in the situation and instead make it do it automatically by reflex.

This also enhances the chances of going into an adrenaline rush, since the body is reacting all by itself, and it only really does that when you are in danger, which means that it boosts the body's power by adding adrenaline, thus making your reflex abilities even faster.

Which in turn makes you a better player, in games where hand-eye coordination and speed of movement is a requirement for success.

This is not just random bullshit, but is based on the collected experiences of 3 years with insomnia, where more than 1 year of it was spent doing nothing but sit in a chair playing computer games.

Sad, I know... but there's not much you can do at crap AM when you can't fall asleep.

It also spawned a lot of attempts at writing books and poetry, and philosophical thoughts, and moonlight walks gazing at the stars.

Jodo
25-06-08, 05:40
Instead of an electric shock, try a jet of water to the face accompanied by a loud noise. They're both unpleasant but quite harmless.

Hell-demon
25-06-08, 12:02
Raise a child in a cupboard and see if it turns out fucked up.

DrRisk
25-06-08, 16:10
Simply place 2 men in a box for 12 hours naked, and see if they kill each other or have sex.

Conclusion:All humans are savage animals really.

Hell-demon
25-06-08, 16:57
That's even better!

Dribble Joy
25-06-08, 17:28
stuff
'Pros' and athletes should be able to/can do this without subjecting the mind/body to all manners of exhustion. Frequently called the 'zone', a strange mix of elevated state of mind but also instinctual response. You just have to train your brain to do it.

I've done it many times with NC and it's part of the reason I play.

Everything gets filtered down to only what you need to know, nothing else reaches you, allowing you to concentrate on these alone. Your vision tunnels, you can't hear anything but what the speakers are doing, years of muscle memory comes back and you don't need to think about how to move the mouse or use the keyboard (you don't even remember your hands moving afterwards). Everything is natural, clear, crisp, simple.

When it's over you watch your vision return to normal, your hands and body are shaking from the adrenalin, you suddenly feel the sweat that you've been pumping out earlier, you feel cold. It's quite literally a come-down.

Jaffo
25-06-08, 17:28
Simply place 2 men in a box for 12 hours naked, and see if they kill each other or have sex.

Conclusion:All humans are savage animals really.

can i Volunteer?

Hell-demon
25-06-08, 18:20
^
This thread delivers

Nymphette79
25-06-08, 19:58
How long have u got?
Many yrs ago I did A level psyc and got an A for 1 particular piece of work but it was quite intensive over a 6 week period and with many volunteers but it might not quite be what ur looking for.

I got 10 couples to participate

For the first 2 weeks they were free to have sex as/when they normally would and to keep a very detailed diary of emotion, reactions, etc for the entirity of the experiment.

For the next 2 weeks they had to have sex every night, trying new things etc
This showed me the impact of anticipation on knowing ur gonna get laid that night or in some cases, woman more than men - nervousness & even fright
And also the effect bad/good sex on our emotions/attitude the next day.

The final 2 weeks they had to abstain completely including masturbation.
This proved the most interesting, while most men hated it when told of this part most women liked the idea.
The first few days were fine but as it got futher into the fortnight arguements increased in frequency and intensity.
Food intake increased & on average the men gained 4lb & the women 2lb & strangely personal hygiene went down & the women took less care of appearance.

The whole point of this experiment was to prove the addictiveness of sex and how it has an effect on normal things, for example - people who had great sex woke up happier and getting out of bed quicker, while bad sex, especially for women whose partners had been in & out b4 she could blink were especially lethargic in the mornings and alot snappier.
Lame I know but my tutor loved it.

Hell-demon
25-06-08, 23:29
You always talk about sex

nobby
26-06-08, 01:26
Nymphette that's great !

I've got until late november i believe to do the whole lot. just need to think a little more, i really wanna do something unique ;)

Jodo
26-06-08, 05:55
If you wanna test a blokes competetive edge, have some sexy women watching them as you put the guys through the motions with the girls offering words of praise and encouragement when one of the guys is succeeding. ;)