PDA

View Full Version : OT fire service

ROZZER187
21-06-08, 13:21
hey guys just wondering if any of you are in or have applied for the fire service in the uk??

was wondering what the training is like and how fit you need to be lol.fed up of working working construction tbh and wanna do this.

nobby
21-06-08, 14:14
My uncle applied for it many years ago, was horrified in the open interview as he found he'd be going against people from the army who applied too. However he found he had to answer a rather scientific questionaire involving questions with chemicals etc... Many people started leaving immediately yet my uncle with his good knowledge, let's say... passed.

However after being told to take a medical, he failed due to not having some sort of operation on his back, so that little career move was out the window.

ROZZER187
21-06-08, 20:22
had a look at the traning they want you to do.some of it sounds easy.its just that almost all of it is timed lol.

Riddle
23-06-08, 14:30
Forget the fitness that is easily obtained through the correct and applied training.

Ask yourself, seriously, could you deal with the emotional aspect...

I had a friend that worked in the fire services, mostly dealing with small crap, shit kids start, or cleaning up after a joyride was torched, the odd housefire where nearly always the owners got out safely.

Then one day he attended the scene of a multiple car crash which unfortunately resulted in several fatalaties. Let's just cut this short, as it's a bit heavy, but he watched two small chilren die in front of his eyes as he tried to cut them free, he was just too late. He was never the same tbh, Left the force in the end.

Fitness is one thing but the mental side is what can cripple you in an instant.

just food for thought.

landofcake
23-06-08, 17:26
Well that killed that stone dead ...

A friend of mine was also in the fire service ... and he found it difficult to deal with his first fatality, a guy who had literally been absolutely crushed by a falling wall.

These things might be difficult to deal with.

RogerRamjet
23-06-08, 17:53
I've applied, but haven't heard anything yet. Also applied for the Police and had a go at the Royal Marines a few months back (gonna try again if Fire Service/Police doesn't come off).

I don't think the level of fitness you need is too demanding. Most fireman are beasts however because they generally get a lot of free time, and most stations have an inbuilt gym it seems.

ROZZER187
30-06-08, 00:03
think as far as the emotional side goes i should be ok.seen my fair share of death....unfortunately.just looking at it from lukes point that most firemen are pretty well built and most fire stations have indoor gyms.dont have much time to work out because i do alot of hours at work lol.only getting about 3-4 hours workout a week.