PDA

View Full Version : [OT] While I've been bored...

Deno
09-06-08, 16:35
Well, I've had a week without NC and I decided I might as well do somthing constructive. This is a little project I have been working on for a while, and I thought I'd show you all a finished picture ;)

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn279/Deno7951/viarossofinal2.jpg

Done in blender. Hope yous like it. C&C welcome ;)

CMaster
09-06-08, 16:39
Nice.
What's it in?
NC tends to have pretty simple geometry, so it's not too bad to try and emulate in other engines.

Deno
09-06-08, 16:46
It was done in Blender, which is actually quite an outdated 3d software, but its fine if your happy with less than photorealistic results. Your right, I thought NC would be a good thing to emulate because its relatively simple, geometricly-wise. The hardest thing was really doing the GoGo, which is actually quite complex in comparison to the appartment alone. It was ray-traced and only took about an hour or so to render. I hope to maybe do another scene from Neocron in the future. I also didnt copy everything exactly from the game. As you might notice, the table isn't the same. I wanted to make it similar but different (ie not just a pure emulation with better textures or sommin)

Anyway more C&C welcome ;)

CMaster
09-06-08, 17:10
Ahhhh, it's a render. I initally thought it was a project more like this one, recreating the game world in another engine.

Deno
09-06-08, 17:58
Yeh its done in Blender which is a slightly crapper version of Maya (I use blender cause Maya costs like $2000 or sommin ridiculous) The ingame rendering engine (raytracer) is fine for these sort of scenes, but it falls apart when you try and render more complex scenes with organic things like plants or humans. I'm thinking I might do a scene from pepper park or plaza next, but I'm not definate yet.

Necpock
09-06-08, 18:54
Ahhhh, it's a render. I initally thought it was a project more like this one, recreating the game world in another engine.

major copyrightz

Hell-demon
09-06-08, 18:59
Make a render of hacknet. Should be simple but look perdy

Deno
09-06-08, 19:33
yeh I was looking through my screenshots folder, and considered doing hacknet, but I fucking hate hacknet (gives me migraines, thats why i never do hacknet at OPs) so I'd rather do somthing more interesting to me. Any suggestions anyone? I'm thinking either a scene from viarosso or maybe pepper park. The neon lights look pretty. Name me a scene (even better give me a screenshot) then i'll work on it this week ;) I have to say the most time consuming thing is actually finding correct textures.

Necpock
09-06-08, 19:36
I'd say VIA3 or CA HQ (the front of)

DrRisk
10-06-08, 08:38
or DOY.DOY would look nice

Deno
11-06-08, 10:25
I think ive decided a nice scene to work on. I've also found a decent rendering engine to use, its called indigo renderer and i've got a script to export scenes from blender to it. Only problem is the scenes sort of have to be made from scratch with indigo in mind, but thats not a problem as I plan to start this project from scratch. Im gonna experiment with materials first and then start the geometries. I havent decided yet whether i'll also do models of copbots etc as it would be very time consuming, but i'm tempted to. Anyway heres two pictures. The first one is the scene I'm hoping to model, and the second is a picture from indigo renderer. I was just testing the capabilities of indigo renderer last night and made this scene with a few diamonds in it. Indigo renderer is a sort of procedural renderer, and theres no time limit on how long you leave it rendering for (the image gets more accurate and with less 'noise' as you leave it longer. As you can see, its very lifelike, and even though I rustled up this scene in a hurry, it does look quite photorealistic. I left it rendering overnight for 9 hours and 52 minutes on a dual core processor, so you can see that although indigo is very high quality, it could lock your PC up for weeks on a big scene.http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn279/Deno7951/NC2_1VIAROSSO_03.jpg http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn279/Deno7951/im1213136285.png

Biglines
11-06-08, 11:23
Very nice scene to try next, make sure you try to get the dirty look, the straight edges you gave your first scene are suitable for viarosso apartments only ;)

Tbh, default renderers in for example 3dsmax or cinema 4d could have done the first scene in 10 seconds, why do you use these renderers and spend your time on rendering? and why is the diamon pic so foggy? (zooming your view to fill the diamonds could also improve your composition)

If you want some more information of positioning you view, I'd suggest reading some books on composition in photography or painting (although photography comes closer to rendering).

And a tip for setting up a scene like in neocron fast, use Google Sketchup, it's a thousand times faster for simple geometrical forms like neocron scenes.

oh and sorry if this posts seems too harsh, I'm an industrial design student, so I'm used to giving people feedback in this way.

danmalone
11-06-08, 11:47
;)
Very nice scene to try next, make sure you try to get the dirty look, the straight edges you gave your first scene are suitable for viarosso apartments only ;)

Tbh, default renderers in for example 3dsmax or cinema 4d could have done the first scene in 10 seconds, why do you use these renderers and spend your time on rendering? and why is the diamon pic so foggy? (zooming your view to fill the diamonds could also improve your composition)

If you want some more information of positioning you view, I'd suggest reading some books on composition in photography or painting (although photography comes closer to rendering).

And a tip for setting up a scene like in neocron fast, use Google Sketchup, it's a thousand times faster for simple geometrical forms like neocron scenes.

oh and sorry if this posts seems too harsh, I'm an industrial design student, so I'm used to giving people feedback in this way.

Its simply a way for him to fill in the time while he's waiting for his NC acc's to get working... Dont make it too easy for him ;)

Deno
11-06-08, 12:19
Thanks for the feedback, but I think you have misinterpreted my post ;) The picture of the diamond is purely technical (I was demonstrating a new rendering engine I'm going to use for my next project) so any artistic elements can be thrown out the window (I chose diamonds to demonstrate the accurate caustics that the engine can render - look at the centre of the diamonds shadow, and you will notice a bright spot where the light is more densely focused for example) Also, I definately plan on recreating the gritty atmosphere of Neocron (whether I will succeed or not will be up for yous to decide) Also, the internal engines in most 3d programs (like the one I used for the viarosso scene) are all much of a muchness, and secondly they couldnt quite render it in 10 minutes. Thats why I'm going to use indigo for my next project - better quality at the expense of long rendering times. Also, you mentioned that the diamond scene was foggy, due to the nature of the renderer, it gets less cloudy over time, so if I had left it for maybe 20 hours instead of 10 hours it would be much higher quality. Also, The background is intended to be quite turbid, but I think your right in saying a less cloudy, and more precise and clean background would have been better for demonstration purposes. Obviously when I'm doing the final render for the next project I'll leave it for maybe even days to render. The viarosso was just a sort of taster for whats to come ;) The next project will be much more substantial.

Heres a link to indigo renderer http://www.indigorenderer.com/joomla/

Hell-demon
11-06-08, 12:37
I dare you to do Regants.

Dare you.

Deno
11-06-08, 13:04
Reagents! Holy shit that place is a damn hellhole... If I can avoid it I don't even wanna go near that zone never mind spend weeks modelling it. Nah, I think i've more or less decided on the viarosso scene. I'm very tempted to model a copbot, but it would be quite laborious and painstaking. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome ;) I've still an open mind to the scene if someone suggests a really good one.

Hell-demon
11-06-08, 13:20
A drom!

Bring on the droms!

aKe`cj
11-06-08, 20:10
ppl posting 3MB images on a forum thread deserve to be shot.

apart from that - nice approach, but I'd recommend to go beyond the NC architecture... blender is quite a powerful nifty tool and you could add a lot more detail to the brute nc modelling to improve the looks. :)

Deno
11-06-08, 20:20
Yeh sorry bout that fking mammoth photo file, its in some odd format that is outputted by indigo (ill make sure to get some sort of file converter for next things). Yeh the viarosso thing was sort of just a proof of concept, i'm planning to model that scene I posted picture of, but also add to it and enhance it, as the geometry in NC is quite simple and could be better. Unfortunate thing is i'm quite busy irl atm and im off abroad in 2 weeks, so if i don't get it finished before then its not gonna be done till september sometime.

Mighty Max
11-06-08, 20:29
At least he(you) tried ... it's not an uncompressed BMP :D (which would have been only 3.3megs instead of the 3.8)

Uncompressed multilayered PNGs have just PHAT STYLZ :lol:
:angel:

To the image itself, i think if you decrease the foggyness, you should be able to show the sparkling in the brillant's shadow. Try to work out a realistic highlighting (caused by the prismatic effect) of scattered light which blurrs out outside the shadow.

Deno
11-06-08, 20:52
Yeh, I stupidly set the turbidity to 5 or somthing which equals very very hazy atmosphere. Also, I hope no-one is under the impression that diamond scene is art or anything lol. I just posted that specific picture to show the capabilities of the indigo renderer i'm gonna use. I'm in blender now and mucking about with an armature. I'm tempted to model the copbot, but it will be hard to get the scale right without decent reference pictures. I'll maybe try get a section of it done tonight, but we'll see ;) Anyway, any suggestions still appreciated.

Deno
12-06-08, 00:37
Right, i've down a quick bit of work on the copbot. I've got the lower body done tonight, but looking at the render now I'm a bit unsure about the upper legs (i'll fix it up tommorow). I think the armour of the copbot is supposed to be very clean and polished, and it would contrast well with the gritty surroundings. Its all posable, and once I get it all finished I'll be able to put it into different poses and stuff, and make it hold guns. BTW, I apologise for the quality of the render, but I only passed it through for 20 minutes so its incredibly noisy. The lighting was set up in a rush too, and its hard to make up the details in the shin armour and the boots. Its just to give you all an idea of the geometry and to some extent the textures. C&C welcome ;)

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn279/Deno7951/im1213222295.png

Hell-demon
12-06-08, 12:14
Lookin' good, man.

Lookin' good.

Deno
12-06-08, 13:29
I'm working on the rest right now, I'll try get a finished pic by today, but I might just leave it overnight to get a high quality render. The great thing about indigo renderer (and ray tracer renderers in general ) is that the complexity of a scene (no. of polygons) doesn't affect the render time that much (just lengthens the time it takes to start up), so you can really go overboard with subsurf and smoothing.

Necpock
12-06-08, 18:43
Hey deno, thats 2 funny looking apartment blocks you got there, I've never seen them in NC before :( whats the location of them?

Deno
12-06-08, 22:07
Right.. after about 5 hours solid modelling i've more or less finished the copbot. I rushed the hands and they look awful, but i'm pretty happy with the rest. Its not perfect, but its only gonna be a small prop in the scene i'm doing. I didn't wanna kill myself before even starting the final scene. Also I apologise for the awful image quality. I only passed it through indigo for about an hour and a half. Ill leave it overnight and get a better image and have better lighting and camera angles. It was just to give yous some progress ;) C&C welcome as usual.
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn279/Deno7951/im1213296371.png

Hell-demon
12-06-08, 22:27
Copbots don't have fingers. Just pincers.

Deno
12-06-08, 22:33
Yeh, just zooming in on my reference photos i noticed that ;P. Wont take two seconds to fix, but I'm not happy with the overall shape of the hands/pincers. Now that I know they are actually mechanical pincers, my job is much easier. I was dreading having to model an anatomically correct hand. Thanks for pointing out that glaring mistake ;) I'll fix it for the proper render tonight.

Deno
13-06-08, 11:49
Well heres the render of the copbot I left overnight. I'm still not totally happy with the white armour textures and some other minor shit. But I guess its only gonna be a small prop in a large scene so it will more than suffice. C&C welcome. Also I apologise for the large file size to anyone still on dial-up (!?)

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn279/Deno7951/im1213313141.png

Hell-demon
13-06-08, 12:35
Cute :)

Biglines
13-06-08, 13:32
i think the face needs a little more work cuz thats the most important aspect imho, but it looks great for now of course ;)

Deno
13-06-08, 13:44
Yeh i agree. I was getting tired near the end and as I wanted to finish it in a day I rushed the head and hands. Ill maybe fix it up a bit for the viarosso scene, but it's not gonna be the main focus of the scene anyway so I son't kill myself over it. But at the end of the day its the detail that counts. Anyway appreciate the comments everyone ;) keep 'em coming.

Hell-demon
13-06-08, 13:51
Have two copbots holding hands

aKe`cj
13-06-08, 16:22
Also I apologise for the large file size to anyone still on dial-up (!?)

the free image host you use has an upstream of roughly 30KB/s... takes ages no matter what your personal connection is capable of.

Setlec
13-06-08, 22:18
I dare you to do Regants.

Dare you.
if he do Regants i'll reinstall CS on my pc!!!! that's for sure! Dreno, do you have Enemy Territory: Quake Wars? you could do the maps with a much higher quality!

Cheers

Deno
13-06-08, 22:57
I don't plan on doing a game engine, I don't have a clue how to code, i'm just making models in blender (its like Maya) i guess you could export them to a game engine but I don't have the knowledge or skill to do that.

Necpock
14-06-08, 01:34
My imagination is the engine of the game. The engine of life. The engine of my train.

I like to eat cheese every single day. Because it tastes nice. Beacause I like kites.

Happy are we to be the name of fame. The pain of haim. Kos'd again.

Hell-demon
14-06-08, 17:25
So I herd u liek Mudkipps