PDA

View Full Version : Linux players? (This got buried)

MrTrip
03-06-08, 18:36
http://forum.neocron.com/showpost.php?p=2128233&postcount=135

I'm sorry to repost this, but it got lost in the pages of "SERVERS STILL DOWN".

Can I please get an official answer on this?

GRIM
05-06-08, 19:59
Was it said that you arent allowed to bypass the launcher somewhere?

Hell-demon
05-06-08, 21:51
Nice quote Trip.

Who said it?

zii
06-06-08, 09:53
Another hijack.

MrTrip. I have spent weeks over the past year trying to get NC working under Linux (Ubuntu 7 and 8) but have never managed this.

In most cases, winedoors bombs out and cannot install various applications. (I have emailed the windoors mailing list on several occasions but they have never answered.)

Could you tell me on which news groups, mailing list or forums you received useful help from so that I can finally ditch Windows?

Biglines
06-06-08, 10:03
you use windows only for NC? lol...

Brammers
06-06-08, 11:49
Zii - Give this page a try - http://wiki.techhaven.org/Running_Neocron_in_Linux

MrTrip - The link to the Linux your sig points to the old URL, which doesn't work anymore.

zii
08-06-08, 10:34
I have followed this set of instructions several times. These look like the same on winehq.org.

* Automatix2 has been discontinued (from Ubuntu 8.04 and onwards)

* Wine-Doors is very out of date. Hopefully, he will release the next version soon. 25% of packages in Winedoors won't install. The error messages it produces are sent to the winedoors mailing list but are never answered.

zii
08-06-08, 21:32
...And Avast antivirus considered the AutoHotKey.exe provided by winedoors a virus... Amusing.

Setlec
12-06-08, 03:32
and you use an antivirus on linux :wtf: ???? what for? 8|

zii
12-06-08, 11:22
Yes, Linux can have be affected by malware including viruses and rootkits.
Although these are thought to be unusual, there are plenty around. Although, not as many as good old Billies' WXP. (However, I have had servers compromised by rkits on several occasions, and have had one Solaris box with a rk on it spamming away :D

For more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_computer_viruses

Anyother good idea is to install rkhunter (apt-get install rkhunter) or chkrootkit (http://www.chkrootkit.org/). These can be run from the cron.

Setlec
12-06-08, 14:15
just bullshit you will get those viruses only if you are logged all the time as root or su/sudoer (sudoers based distrib like the wide world known ubuntu is a good damn easy system to invade even it's linux, do you know why? because it's meant to be "easy" to use and install software but it's easy to invade, Ubuntu update sucks)... if you don't update your system like on windows you will be infect, other thing don't install softwares that you don't know the origins... never got a damn virus on linux. only fools get viruses.

Mighty Max
12-06-08, 14:23
just bullshit you will get those viruses only if you are logged all the time as root or su/sudoer

There were plenty right escalating bugs around in the past. And to trust that none exists anymore is ... not very clever to say.
Not to mention that it is often not required for malware to run with root rights and is installed via various buffer exploits.

Just take a look at honeypot based security research to get an impression of what's going on on vulnerable, not up to date and non checked systems.

zii
12-06-08, 18:01
just bullshit ... never got a damn virus on linux. only fools get viruses.

How do you know if you are not running a rootkit? Did you check, and if so then how did you go about it? Has a buffer overflow caused your user (not root) to add & run a modified pwd (in ~/.gnome2/.pwd (with an alias in your .bash_profile alias pwd=~/.gnome2/.pwd : it might look like a legit file but is it?) that opens a tunnel to another server from an unpriviledged port, allowing a third party to read your files, or more than likely use you to send spam to a relay, or be part of a botnet wput'ing large files or making a lot a HTTP request? Would you notice? To be honest, I probably would not if the traffic was light. Did it modifiy your proxies for Firefox to point to somewhere else?

Root? Who cares about root.