PDA

View Full Version : Playing on a laptop

Nymphette79
23-05-08, 15:50
Atm my PC is in my bedroom as there is nowhere else in the house it will go but have now got to seriously make more room in bedroom for some new equipment so need to down size.
Am thinking of getting a laptop but when I went in PC World & asked a sales guy (who looked about 12) which one he suggested he just laughed & swear to God said LOL & told me it was impossible to play properly on a laptop.
Is this really the case as im sure that alot of u play on a laptop. :confused:

Neallys
23-05-08, 15:52
You asked a Sales guy, wow.

It depends what kind of laptop you go for but, why couldn't you play on a laptop? wtf O_o (that's totally possible, and i'm doing so xD)

Matanius
23-05-08, 15:55
I'm not big on lap tops so I'll let someone else who truly knows to answer your question more thoroughly but I do know that yes you can play games on laptops, especially low spec ones like NC. I play NC on my laptop all the time :)

And one other thing I had to say; NEVER.....EVER go into PC world for advice. They will tell you a load of BS

Road runner
23-05-08, 16:03
I'm not big on lap tops so I'll let someone else who truly knows to answer your question more thoroughly but I do know that yes you can play games on laptops, especially low spec ones like NC. I play NC on my laptop all the time :)

And one other thing I had to say; NEVER.....EVER go into PC world for advice. They will tell you a load of BS

Agreed.

Infact never go into PC World permanently. None of them know anything and just want you to buy their overpriced crap.

There are plenty of gaming laptops, unfortunately they come at a price. You could probably pay £1000 for a mid-high range gaming laptop and pay £600 for an equally good desk top.

Plus gaming laptops are prone to overheating problems (not all) and lack of upgrade-ability.

Alien-ware and Dell do some good gaming laptops, you should look thoroughly at reviews on any laptop you buy. Buy off the internet.. far cheaper than PC World (or any high street retailer)

Nymphette79
23-05-08, 16:27
Thx guys, I dont need a super-de-duper one just one that will run NC, Halflife and *whispers WoW sometimes
Where im having trouble is that alot ive looked at say intergrated graphics which im assuming = pants

CMaster
23-05-08, 16:54
Where im having trouble is that alot ive looked at say intergrated graphics which im assuming = pants

This is basically one of the big problems with gaming and laptops - they rarely have proper graphics adapters and even when they do, they are much, much worse performing than their desktop counterparts. You will always take a performance hit for using a laptop anyway on top of this, as well as a price hit.

On the other hand, both NC and Halflife 1 have quite modest system requirements. WoW is more problematic, but again not horrendous.

It's certainly possible to find one that will do what you want, but at some cost and it won't be as good as a decent desktop or even a small-form factor PC (like say a Shuttle (http://us.shuttle.com/)) which may also be suited to your situation.

Zefrian
23-05-08, 16:58
well, i got an Notebook, which runs Neocron und WoW fine.

It's a SONY VAIO VGN-SZ2XP

Even FarCry and Max Payne are running on it - yes: playable and enjoyable!

But keep in mind: Most of the newer games surely won't: Too hight hardware demands!

Nymphette79
23-05-08, 17:14
So im assuming this wont cut the mustard:

Intel Pentium Dual Core T2330 Processor 1.6Ghz. 2Gb RAM. 160Gb Hard Drive. DVD Super Multi Dual Layer. 15.4" WXGA Gloss superbright display. ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 Graphics. WiFi 802.11b/g. Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium. 3xUSB ports, 2-in-1 card slot. Anti-bacterial Silver Nano keyboard love that feature.

CMaster
23-05-08, 17:17
So im assuming this wont cut the mustard:

Intel Pentium Dual Core T2330 Processor 1.6Ghz. 2Gb RAM. 160Gb Hard Drive. DVD Super Multi Dual Layer. 15.4" WXGA Gloss superbright display. ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 Graphics. WiFi 802.11b/g. Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium. 3xUSB ports, 2-in-1 card slot. Anti-bacterial Silver Nano keyboard love that feature.

I'm pretty confident a machine like that would be quite capable of playing your stated games.

Now if you got into Black Prophecy or Age of Conan, you may start to struggle. But then your current desktop probably would as well. What brand is that machine?

Nidhogg
23-05-08, 17:18
I do all my gaming on a laptop; an HP Compaq 8510p.

Mobile DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo T7700, 2433 MHz (13 x 187)
3056 MB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 (256 MB)

No problems whatsoever. I can even run Crysis on fairly decent settings.

N

Zefrian
23-05-08, 17:20
ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 Graphics. WiFi 802.11b/g. Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium.
uh ... oh .... :-/ ..... i personally would dislike THAT.

I got not so good experience with ATI, but i have to admit, that that was some years ago.

Vista ... really want a OS eating up your hardware resources? Keep in mind, that NC itself eats up much RAM. I would suggest: Consider buying XP or some more RAM.

Nymphette79
23-05-08, 17:25
Its a Samsung R60, it looks very sleek, £449 in my club book.

CMaster
23-05-08, 17:27

Hmm, haven't had much experience with Samsung laptops.

My general laptop experience is avoid Toshibas, they break.
Dell make some pretty good machines generally, with a few real stinkers every so often.
Acers seem generally reasonable if rarely excellent.
Ergo are a lesser known but quite good UK company.
Sony make some very flash but pricey bits of kit.

RAB
23-05-08, 18:02
I've got no room for a desktop at the moment so I'm playing on a good few year old laptop. I think it's a Pentium4 500MB ram and 1.6GHz I think.
It's got a geforce2 card with 32Mb RAM.

It works ooooo-kkkk - ish but I have to run at 800x600 res and all detail on min and it still lags a bit when there is a lot going on at the mo.
I can play fine! but I dont think I'll pull any of my characters LE's until I've done something about it as I'll be shooting at where people 'were' and get killed the whole time.
I want to go watch an OP battle and see how it copes with lots of people running about on screen.

The thing is, like it's been said before, upgradabilility is a problem. Motherboards often come with built in sound and video cards! Memory card slots are often limited.
No problem with overheating - as yet.

But at the moment mine suits me fine for general play. Saving for an upgrade.

Daemon Seed
23-05-08, 18:30
you better have smacked that guy at pc-world on the head!

if you're looking to spend about 500 pounds you might as well get a desktop computer and you'd get a really nice one, but if you need to stay mobile for some reason look at this one

Advent 5401 Laptop for the Home and Office

www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1997367689.1211559411@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccefadeeehfehfhcflgceggdhhmdgmk.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=676404&category_oid=-34074#productInformationSection

that one should really cut it for your games, it has just the bit of extra compared to what has previously been named.

the video card does 24 fps average on doom on ultra settings 1024x768 at least! id say it would definitely run neocron, half life(woohoo!) and...wow @_@

it doesnt have anti-bacterial keys so your hands will stay durty!! :D

Voodoo_Magic
23-05-08, 19:04
Id say go for the one you mentioned.

But get someone to format it either with a clean copy of XP of Vista.

Samsung are terrible, there so mixed up inside (software). Dare i say, there worse than HP :O

But the laptop itself sounds fine.

Just to add, i have also gone off ATI Graphics, but there laptop components are rather sleak tbh.

THE_TICK!!!!
24-05-08, 01:21
well when i was in afghanistan i used a VIO to play the cron and WOW without a problem..i DID have a problem with one of those damn build the world games..dunno why though :)

LeFae
30-05-08, 05:03
Im quite sure that even an IGP containing laptop would be able to handle NC 2.2 as I played on NeoCron 2.1 with my old laptop which was a HP Ze5400. Which actually could play HL2 at an acceptable pace.

As for current laptops I am not sure what type you are looking at but I splurged and got a Toshiba P100-st9752 this time. And ffs this things plays EVERYTHING I've thrown at it hehe.

It plays Eve nicely, HL2 nicely, Tabula Rasa very well, and even WoW when I go on there to play with friends. So needless to say I am able to play NeoCron at a glorious 1440x900 xD

I would be playing but sadly I am waiting on support to respond so I can reactivate my subscription as it is saying that I only created a trial and thus its trying to make me pay the ~37.50 usd again for 30 days >.<.

aKe`cj
30-05-08, 08:49
<- Macbook
2.5Ghz Core2Duo Penryn
4GB RAM
GF 8600M - 512MB VRAM

...most games run on good settings at native resolution (1440x900), the only downside is the volume - keeping the rather small & packed interior cool while gaming makes the fans go berzerk.

I'll give AoC a try this WE... but I'm quite confident it'll perform good - the only bottleneck could be the significantly slower notebook HDD.

NAPPER
30-05-08, 09:59

When i had my Samsung it was the best thing since sliced bread but then i was watching a dvd on and it all went black only had it a week and half and the back light had gone so sent it away to be fixed came back worked then about a month later it went again so same again sent it away got it back and then 3 months ago it just went so wrong i was on facebook and then BooM! it was fucked AGAIN! everything went the gfx card job lot demended my money back. all good now i have a dell pc and a E-System laptop cant do anything but chat and download music but i have the pc to play games :D

:D

zii
03-06-08, 16:11
Since 2002, I have only ever played NC on a laptop.

Current spec is a Sony Viao SZ90. Core Duo 2.16ghz, nVidia card, 2Gb RAM.
Always get 90fps.
Never had any problems. I used windowed mode in 1024x768.

Recent specs are here (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=579&parentCategoryId=16154). These specs exceed mine so you might be able to use 1280x800 full screen nowadays.

Biglines
03-06-08, 16:19
I have a laptop that was new in 2004, IBM thinkpad t42, single core pentium m, which wasnt the highest end gaming laptop at that time, and i can run neocron without a hickup, i can run halflife2 at medium settings, and well... any laptop you can buy new from a shop nowadays should be able to run those two games... halflife 2 is famous for it's low requirements, and wel neocron.. lol... 2002

just make sure it has like more than 700mb ram, thats what i have and neocron occasionally doesn't like that if I'm running something like 40 firefox windows next to it as well as maybe flash 8

Hell-demon
03-06-08, 16:24
Neocron 2

Half-life 2

Counterstrike: Source

Tis all you need.

Edit: Portal!

How the fuck could I forget that!

Flub900
14-06-08, 04:02
Dell Inspiron 1520 1680x1050
Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2GHz
2GB RAM
120GB HDD @ 7200rpm
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (256MB)

i dont mind my laptop. its runs games quite well. but it was $1650.

i think the hdd upgrade from 5200 rpm to 7200 was a good choice :)

Hell-demon
14-06-08, 17:27
Ripped off man. I got the same spec if not better with a Dell Vostro- cost me £475 including vat and shipping.

Dell ftw!

Seriously buy vostros

Flub900
14-06-08, 22:29
well i actually paid $1350 cuz im special. and i got free shipping....again cuz im special. and this was a year ago.