PDA

View Full Version : Help please.. patch d/l apply problem

Seether
15-05-08, 07:37
hi guys,
just d/l the client, and started d/l patches, when i get an error that says

"Patching to level 159. ERROR couldnt open client.exe. possibly write protected. Patching failed"

anyone got any ideas? i`ve just come back to the game to give it another try.
any help greatly appreciated.

thanks,
seether

Prom_STar
15-05-08, 07:43
I suppose there's always uninstalling/reinstalling. It's also possible your download got corrupted. When I first got NC there was one of the mirrors (can't remember which) that always gave me a corrupted file.

Other than that, I'm not sure.

Seether
15-05-08, 07:45
bah, ok, i`ll uninstall and re-try then... it`ll have to wait until tonight though, gotta go to work now...
thanks anyway

seether

danmalone
15-05-08, 09:04
hi guys,
just d/l the client, and started d/l patches, when i get an error that says

"Patching to level 159. ERROR couldnt open client.exe. possibly write protected. Patching failed"

anyone got any ideas? i`ve just come back to the game to give it another try.
any help greatly appreciated.

thanks,
seether

Are you running on windows vista? Ive seen a few threads like this, summat down to running em in administrator mode or give em rights or summat daft :p

james_finn
15-05-08, 11:26
Are you running on windows vista? Ive seen a few threads like this, summat down to running em in administrator mode or give em rights or summat daft :p

If I remember rightly you need to install it somewhere other than the default C:/Program Files/Neocron as windows Vista wont allow you to write to files within the area - Im sure Mighty Max will explain it better than me!

Plus make sure when you run the launcher you are running as the administrator, right click run as Administrator!

/Delphi

Riddle
15-05-08, 14:16
Yup almost definately it's Vista!

Run as Admin or Install to a folder and give folder admin rights or turn all that checking admin crap off tbh :)

Other thing to note is i had some sound issues with Vista, to resolve i run it in compatibility mode. Right click it's in options somewhere :angel:

Good Luck!

Seether
15-05-08, 20:11
ok, thanks a lot guys, i got it working, by ticking the `run as admin` box, could have sworn i`d done that.

i have another problem now... if anyone has any ideas...

after a few mins of gameplay, the screen goes black, and a small window pops up with the message : " Client.exe has stopped working, windows will try to find a solution to the problem" then the game exits.

i`m running vista 32 bit home premium, i`ve tried turning off my firewall, and tried different resolutions, but to no avail.

just out of interest, in the neocron launcher window.. in the configuration window... what number should the `use local port` number be set to? do i need to set that?

any help appreciated.

Seether

CHA0S
16-05-08, 19:10
thats just the famous "fatal" which neocron comes with memory leak causes it if i remember reading somewhere :s

Just leave ports alone unless u intend to dual log.......

Zheo
16-05-08, 19:48
Sadly the client suffers from problems, causing it to crash, you might try (assuming it's still NC legal) the Ultimate Cilent.

Nidhogg
16-05-08, 20:37
The client does occasionally drop out but it's not that frequently. Is this something that happens to you after a few minutes every time you play? Is there anything particular you're doing in-game when it happens?

You might also want to create a support ticket at helpdesk@neocron.com so your problem can be addressed properly (we try our best here on the forums but this isn't an official support route).

Thanks,

N

Zheo
16-05-08, 21:44
NC-Tech support doesnt include Vista Nidhogg.

Seether
17-05-08, 17:47
yes it happens everytime i play, longest i`ve managed to play is about 8 minutes, there does not seem to be a pattern as to what i`m actually doing in-game. The screen just goes black, and the little window pops up with the error message. Its damned annoying., i just want to give the game another go.
guess i`ll just have to keep trying different things.

Seether

The client does occasionally drop out but it's not that frequently. Is this something that happens to you after a few minutes every time you play? Is there anything particular you're doing in-game when it happens?

You might also want to create a support ticket at helpdesk@neocron.com so your problem can be addressed properly (we try our best here on the forums but this isn't an official support route).

Thanks,

N

Odin
17-05-08, 19:41
If you go to control panel - classic view - performance and information tools - advanced tools and choose "view performance details in event log". It will load up an event viewer.

Might give more information as to the nature of the crash.

One of the other things to do is go through the task manager and knock out any non essential programs one by one to see if perhaps a program is interfering with the client (on top of the usual making sure ports are open etc).