PDA

View Full Version : Since when did poking become useless?

Davis
09-05-08, 19:46
I was doing some poking on my old pistol PE I made back in '06. Back then, poking was a pretty decent buisness and most people would appreciate your service and most of the time also tip you. This seems to have changed a lot after my experience over 2 days:

Day 1: I spend about 1 hour in Plaza-sector 1 poking people, telling over help that tips were very welcome, but not required:

Out of 16 people poked, I managed to get 1 tip and 3 thanks.

Day 2: I spend another 30 mins at the medi center. This time, I said that tips were required for my service.

Out of 7 people poked, I managed to get 2 tips, 1 thanks and 1 advice.

The advice I got was that I should not demand tips off people, because it would make them pay me less.

So after 1 and a half hour work total, I had earned a total of 9k, 4 thanks and 1 pretty useless tip.

Have poking always been this bad or have I just been very unlucky?

NAPPER
09-05-08, 20:33
i think u just been very unlucky mate i always tip 5k to 10k

solid-rock
09-05-08, 20:38
Well I do usually tip people something like that. But ive noticed that more often than not the poker flat out refuses to receive a tip, or has trade disabled. People may have gotten too used to this so they simply stop trying to tip. I doubt is any pronoun degradation in peoples gratitude.

Riddle
09-05-08, 20:56
I always tip for pokes, you provide a service i pay you for it!!

I logged my Bro's Poker the other night got fucked off within 10 mins tbh, 7 of the 8 people i managed to poke didn't even aknowledge i was standing there, simply knelt got poked and fucked off without as much as a ty!

The 8th guy? a level 12 who offered me 500nc and said thank you! i obviously refused his tip but that's not the point, he actually offered something!!

Log your poker, stand around in P1, bend over for an hour or two and take it in the arse. Earn more hunting tbh :rolleyes:

Road runner
09-05-08, 21:03
At busy times when P2 is active, sit in P1 poke people announcing it in Local. If someone doesn't tip you write down their name. When they die in P2 and come back for more pokes, check your list and tell them they must pay upfront for any further pokes.

Kanedax
09-05-08, 21:33
Like i said in game when you poked my apu i tried to tip you, you said something about that meaning youd have to poke me again or something, i said i didnt need any more pokes and you didnt respond so i just walked away, i would have been glad to tip you if you had approached me about it in a polite manner instead of cursing at me and being hostile. maybe thats why you dont get tips.

Biglines
09-05-08, 21:41
hmm, well i remembered being a poker payed well.. so now i usually tip 3k for a few pokes... but that was even when i was rank 20 with my first char, so im not that rich..., but i generally try to tip

Doc Holliday
09-05-08, 21:55
I was doing some poking on my old pistol PE I made back in '06. Back then, poking was a pretty decent buisness and most people would appreciate your service and most of the time also tip you. This seems to have changed a lot after my experience over 2 days:

Day 1: I spend about 1 hour in Plaza-sector 1 poking people, telling over help that tips were very welcome, but not required:

Out of 16 people poked, I managed to get 1 tip and 3 thanks.

Day 2: I spend another 30 mins at the medi center. This time, I said that tips were required for my service.

Out of 7 people poked, I managed to get 2 tips, 1 thanks and 1 advice.

The advice I got was that I should not demand tips off people, because it would make them pay me less.

So after 1 and a half hour work total, I had earned a total of 9k, 4 thanks and 1 pretty useless tip.

Have poking always been this bad or have I just been very unlucky?

its the reason i stopped in the first place. one of the biggest if not the biggest reason i got to know so many people and so many people knew me was because i would stand around in plaza 1 in the old days and poke people and have a bit of banter with who ever was there.

you can probably see this by my avatar as well. I remember coming out of genreps in to p1 more often than not and getting swarmed by people on their knees going "Poke poke poke" and i would do and not for the money either.

if i didnt feel like doing pvp or levelling some char or other i would pass away the day chatting. i developed my whole char that and got to know alot of very useful contacts and kept court with some of the biggest players on the Uranus server in nc1 this way. it also made my life a shit load easier when i came to recruit for my clan as was back then.

it was fun. not a job and not something i did for money but for fun. sure the tips helped a shit load and i was able to pull alot of favours for any of my boys in the shades on getting rares etc due simply down to the fact i put myself about a bit and made each and every person feel special in some way :)

nowadays all people do is come up get poked and fuck off quicksharp without a thanks or what ever. and if u refuse you get some abuse. cant win.

therefore i dont bother. if im standing around, even if i can poke if either dont like you or dont know you i dont bother and its sad its like that.

so kids. you all have enough money im sure especially the bigger clans. Cough up.

DrRisk
09-05-08, 21:59
i have a massive list of people who REFUSE to tip. im civil towards them but would never poke them! and gel costs peeps and you guys don't buy the gel WE DO. and guess what? sometimes we have to actually ask for the left over gel back i mean WHAT THE HELL?

General Crazy
09-05-08, 22:16
I always tip for pokes, you provide a service i pay you for it!!

I logged my Bro's Poker the other night got fucked off within 10 mins tbh, 7 of the 8 people i managed to poke didn't even aknowledge i was standing there, simply knelt got poked and fucked off without as much as a ty!

Yeah the biggest thing is doing any implants greater then TL77 because you can do TL115 from using 2 drugs and the glove with a base skill of 77 so at that point it has an additional cost to the poker to provide you with a service, I think people misunderstand what poking(or CST/RES/REP/REC) for tips means, it means there is no set price because no one would get a TL10 Headbone poked for 25-50K now would they? Remember beside just having to spec for it people provide their time as well, when I sure they can be doing other things that would make them credits. I don't expect any kind of tip from new players but any season player running around with rares and MC5 chips have no reason to have any excusses for wasting others time.

I usually have one of my accounts logged with a poker in Plaza 1, that I usually just do my own thing while I watch people spam Help channel for pokers for some times up to 30 minutes, because when should I alt-tab to another client while I am doing someone else on another account, a good example of was just other day someone need 11 pokes one being a MC5 chip after they had all their implants repaired, which meant swaping out from my Res Glove and then swapping back after that causing damage to both gloves as well as popping 2 drugs, and ten minutes of my time the person just ran off where in that time i could have got 1-2 Million XP or farmed a few tech parts.

Zefrian
10-05-08, 00:16
hm ... what about writing down the names of the runners, who did not tip. The next time they do not receive poking ...

nobby
10-05-08, 01:57
Do what i did...

Be HARSH but fair !

Charge 3K-5K PER POKE, they've gotta pay first or they don't get your service, simple.

people don't call you a cunt for it either, eitherway, you're trying to make money anyway you can.

braydagner
10-05-08, 04:55
I poke for free tbh.

Selket
10-05-08, 06:12
I normally give tips around the TL if there are 3 high TL imps i pay more then when just a headbone is outside.

On the otherside i have a Poker and he has a HUGE blacklist if nobody tips he will get no pokes anymore and that was it.

Fool me once Shame on You .....

Zuul
10-05-08, 08:52
I haved the same problem with ppl from Warlord and some other noobs who cryed for a poke a few month ago , thats why now i donīt loose my time at plaza one anymore.

unreal
10-05-08, 10:00
Back when I played, in part due to the small population, most of the time you ended up knowing the person who was poking you, so when I switched back to my main character (Spy), I would always return the favour, instead of arsing about giving people a 13337nc tip.

Originally poking was a very profitable skill to have if you spent all day idling, but because of this friendship thing where you would eventually swap to a poking chaacter and sit there returning the favour, combined with what became a huge amount of people having implant skill (even tanks!), people rarely paid for what became a trivial service.

Back when I was poking (and playing for that matter), I found that a lot of people also stopped paying for 115 pokes, for much the same reason, and even when they knew drugs or similair annoyances (such as PPU buffs) were required. They would offer you the drug (assuming you would nullify the drugflash by performing the E word) then say "thx" and run off.

That's the point where I no longer constantly went out of my way to poke people who I didn't assume to be new players.

DrRisk
10-05-08, 10:13
I haved the same problem with ppl from Warlord and some other noobs who cryed for a poke a few month ago , thats why now i donīt loose my time at plaza one anymore. QFE!!!!

silent000
10-05-08, 16:07
I once tipped someone 12mil, I was too rich and wasting it seemd like a good alternative, also wasting my money on making people declare I was their leader, but thats another story :cool:

Biglines
10-05-08, 17:00
i started 3 weeks ago (first time since beta4), but what is generally considered a fair tip?

Road runner
10-05-08, 20:23
5k per poke is what i would normally give, unless its MC5 in which case i would 10k per poke.

RAB
12-05-08, 13:26
5k per poke is what i would normally give, unless its MC5 in which case i would 10k per poke.

likewise. I also normally poke for free if I'm around and someone needs it.
I wouldn't consider poking a profession really, just something that everyone needs and most Monks and trade chars and even PE's normally have plently of points in order to spec at least some implant skill, so why not help people out if you can?

Personally I wouldn't just hang around in P1 for hours 'just' to poke - unless of course as had been said, you just fancy chatting to people etc..

Davis
12-05-08, 16:29
Personally I wouldn't just hang around in P1 for hours 'just' to poke - unless of course as had been said, you just fancy chatting to people etc..

Personally, I did it because I just started up with Neocron again and I wanted to make some decent cash before making a new charater. This game is very unfriendly to people who've just started up. Sure, you can make your own ammo and also recycle your own weapons, but most store bought items are bad/poor quality, so you need a good handfull of money to get some decent weapons.

I was clearly wrong about making money with poking service and I've already giving up.

Like i said in game when you poked my apu i tried to tip you, you said something about that meaning youd have to poke me again or something, i said i didnt need any more pokes and you didnt respond so i just walked away, i would have been glad to tip you if you had approached me about it in a polite manner instead of cursing at me and being hostile. maybe thats why you dont get tips.

I never meant to be angry at you, but you were number 12 or 13 that day I had poked without gettin any form of tip or thanks. Then you actually have to courage to go "no tip?". So I basicly tell you to tip me or don't get anymore pokes and you run off saying "I dun need more pokes lol". Again, no tip or a slight thank you.

So basicly, I've been told not to force tips off my customers, because that would make them pay me less ( Clearly didn't work with you or the 12 other people before you ).

You've told me not to be hostile to people. I've been friendly and I didn't get any tips either from being "friendly" or "not hostile".

I didn't come here to start a "forum warz", but I can understand why nobody tip people anymore for pokes, if they're just gettin help from their clan and are used to the free service.

I'm off to make money the old fashioned way.

NAPPER
12-05-08, 17:23
Personally, I did it because I just started up with Neocron again and I wanted to make some decent cash before making a new charater. This game is very unfriendly to people who've just started up. Sure, you can make your own ammo and also recycle your own weapons, but most store bought items are bad/poor quality, so you need a good handfull of money to get some decent weapons.

If u ever see me ingame NAPPER or One Life NC i will make u some weapons and sort u out with moneys if u need i think i have a ton of low lvl shit anyway.

SizZLeR
13-05-08, 18:26
Sometimes i log my poker and stand around in P1, mostly ppl tip very nice.
Usually i tip 3k per poke, but i dont hold it against anyone if it they give bad tips.

However some ppl never tip and if a person dont tip u due to reasons like having no cash thats ok, but ppl who come back for pokes on different days and never tip more than a "ty" i try to remember and then i dont poke them again.

Ofcourse i never charge noob chrs and also i refuse their offer if they tip me, then sometimes they tell me they have one or more alts with money and then i ofcourse accept the tip.

But frankly i think its bs not to tip, especially when im standing there for maybe 3 hrs straight and the same chr comes to me getting poked 4 or 5 times, its not like im standing around there for the sake of my blue eyes. :lol:

However most ppl arent cheap and they give nice tips. :)

solling
13-05-08, 19:29
5k per poke is what i would normally give, unless its MC5 in which case i would 10k per poke

i think thats to much Specially for low lvl people. just give 1 or 2K if u dont have alot (millions)

RAB
13-05-08, 20:45
i think thats to much Specially for low lvl people. just give 1 or 2K if u dont have alot (millions)

You wouldnt think it was too much if you were receiving it and needed the money !! :p

It's just a give what you want/can thing isn't it?

Prom_STar
13-05-08, 22:30
Last time I tried poking in P1 (this was in December/January) I found I made a lot of money. Was playing a spy at the time. I would drone in El Faird for XP then come to P1 to poke for money. I often got tips of 10k+.

Sounds like things might be different now. Hopefully the other tradeskills haven't also suffered a tipping shortage.

SizZLeR
14-05-08, 01:54
If the pop goes up i dont think itll be a problem anymore, ive been poking around in P1 for a couple of hrs sometimes when it showed 8% on the server load.

Id make around 50-100k an hour, however due to low pop i could be standing around for up to 30 mins with nothing to do. :-S

Id say if the po goes to 20+ there shd be a need for pokes big enough to keep one or two pokers busy. ;-)

Darkana
14-05-08, 08:06
Id say if the po goes to 20+ there shd be a need for pokes big enough to keep one or two pokers busy. ;-)One reason why I have my trade closed is to have higher throughput on players poked :D That stems back from the more busy NC days where you sometimes had big crowds to manage without another poker anywhere nearby, and moving tips around was just a delay for all the waiting others.

I can't say much about what I would get tipped (trade is closed almost all the time, afterall); but yes, there are some players popping up, spamming local / trade channels for pokes but don't get it managed to at least leave a "thanks" of some sort. Most do that, though, and more often than not I get asked something like "no tip?" (yeah, I still have my trade closed :cool: ).

The tips I would receive for repairing are pretty good; it's somewhat less needed than poking, though.

crothias
20-05-08, 17:26
poke poke

looks at money 20 mill gives poker 19,999,999 clicks except looks at money woot still have 20mill.

ahh the good ol days

Neallys
20-05-08, 17:33
I poke for free tbh.

same !

and tbh, If you want to make buisiness as trader, just go into CST or RES, I don't know.

(or become a known-trusty repairer, that can help a lot of dudes)

nobby
21-05-08, 00:54
Like i said before, don't feel you HAVE to do it for free.

Always charge at least 5K a poke and say some crap afterwards "Always a service with a smile :) " or " if you should ever need me again, just call my name ! "

You could make more than RES'ing or CST'ing tbh

virgil caine
24-05-08, 14:42
I started playing again couple months ago and noticed same thing, also noticed that you can't find a poker majority of the time outside of peak periods. With the situation like it is KK should just patch in an "implant booth" in the medcare area and if you don't have the cash you can always go run missions or kill spiders in the sewer.
I would expect a sliding scale from about 1 to 50 K for the service and the problem would be fixed....if peeps wanted to give away the service, fine, but you could get it done when needed if no one was interested.

Faid
24-05-08, 17:13
Virgil, you will always have a poker buddy :D I usually don't relog to poke anyone except my clanmates, I always make sure they get poked, because most people don't tip and some don't even thankyou for going through the hassel. It simply isnt worth it.