PDA

View Full Version : slow syncs

RAB
04-05-08, 14:50
why ?

someone said its worst into empty (of runners) sectors.

anyone looking into this?
seems a very annoying consistent problem at the moment.

u know what causes it?

it not just me, so i know it not my pc or my isp etc.. is happening to all others on server too, just listen to chat..

????? :(

Jason Parker
04-05-08, 14:57
someone said its worst into empty (of runners) sectors.

Afaik, at least the wasteland sectors are spreaded over different physical machines. If one sector is empty for a while, i believe the corresponding machine is going to sleep. If you now zone into such a sector, the wake up of the machine together with lag and such things make the synch longer, it can even exceed the synchronizing timeout and you get disconnected.

CMaster
04-05-08, 15:55
Afaik, at least the wasteland sectors are spreaded over different physical machines. If one sector is empty for a while, i believe the corresponding machine is going to sleep. If you now zone into such a sector, the wake up of the machine together with lag and such things make the synch longer, it can even exceed the synchronizing timeout and you get disconnected.

Not quite.

If a sector (any sector) is empty enough, then it is taken off the server. When somebody then tries to enter the zone, the zone has to be loaded on both the player's PC and the server - this can take a while, and also mean that NPCs take a few seconds to appear on entering the zone. The Neocron server definatley is a cluster of some form, but it definatley doesn't have a machine for every possible zone.

Hoder
04-05-08, 22:37
I've been testing it this afternoon through a lot of wasteland sectors and everything syncs fine to me.

Is the problem continuing?

NAPPER
05-05-08, 15:29
Not quite.

If a sector (any sector) is empty enough, then it is taken off the server. When somebody then tries to enter the zone, the zone has to be loaded on both the player's PC and the server - this can take a while, and also mean that NPCs take a few seconds to appear on entering the zone. The Neocron server definatley is a cluster of some form, but it definatley doesn't have a machine for every possible zone.

Is this why we get the 0/2 people appear when a player is coming into the zone ?

CMaster
05-05-08, 15:54
Is this why we get the 0/2 people appear when a player is coming into the zone ?

That one seems to be something different.
The server tells your client that there is a new player in the zone, but it hasn't yet got around to working out any of their stats (including location), so you just get a generic player at the reset point.

silent000
05-05-08, 19:36
Hoder did explain that bug to us when we were in Nottingham, but the size of his brain compared to mine was greatly larger. So I can not remember such banter :D

RAB
06-05-08, 10:43
I've been testing it this afternoon through a lot of wasteland sectors and everything syncs fine to me.

Is the problem continuing?

seems very random mate. I play most days normally in the morning and then again at some point late afternoon or evening, for a few hours each time, and I normally encounter it most in the morning I think. (UK GMT).
Not always, but quite often recently. Sometimes it will happen every fricken time I try to zone anywhere, including in NC city, and make the game so flippin annoying that I normally give up after about 30-60mins of it!
I'll log on again later and it will be ok again!?

Other times it suddenly all clears up and stops happening anyway.

Normally if it seems consistent I will ask people on the HELP channel if they are encountering the same problems (if I haven't seen people chatting about it already) and they are.

Dont know if that helps mate but is all I can tell you. Sry!

Maybe the server just needs another big kick!!! lol