PDA

View Full Version : ]OT[ A-level queestion...

nobby
01-05-08, 17:49
Hi there,

I know about the AS level and A level UCAS point system, however i would like to know, if I did shit in my As levels, as in 4 E's, but got 4 B's at A2, how do the points work? Do they just take the A2 grades as the UCAS points, or do they do a Merge?

CMaster
01-05-08, 17:51
Hi there,

I know about the AS level and A level UCAS point system, however i would like to know, if I did shit in my As levels, as in 4 E's, but got 4 B's at A2, how do the points work? Do they just take the A2 grades as the UCAS points, or do they do a Merge?

A2 points scores replace AS.
AS scores only count if you did not continue the subject.

nobby
01-05-08, 18:25
Ok thankyou :)

Riddle
01-05-08, 19:01
OMG what the FUCK is an AS or A2?

nobby
01-05-08, 19:36
It's a type of UK college qualification before going to University

CMaster
01-05-08, 19:38
An A2 is basically a traditional A level, but with a modular format.
An AS is half of an A2 level. Most people will be examined for 3 modules inyear 12 ("lower sixth") and then another three in year 13, making the total six need for A2. Several people drop a subject or drop out of college/sixth form after one year, so their three completed modules are enough to get an AS level in a subject.

The system has been around for quite a long time now (8 years according to wiki).

RAB
01-05-08, 20:01

I dunno!!!?? All changed sooo much since I were a lad.... (old voice)...
Got my exam passes on a stone slab!!

nobby
01-05-08, 20:27
I suppose you had to watch out for the Pyteradactyles overhead :p

Riddle
01-05-08, 21:17
Sorry for my ignorance! i left school some time ago......

With A-Levels, two years study, one exam per subject pass or fail that was it no modules etc.

Doc Holliday
02-05-08, 11:13

its like an O level. only better :)

silent000
02-05-08, 16:23
I did an AS level is mathematics but didn't carry it on to A2, but as CMaster said, A2 replaces AS afaik

zii
02-05-08, 16:44
Bring back GCE/CSEs.
Actually, I think GCEs are still offered where I live!

CMaster
02-05-08, 16:49
Bring back GCE/CSEs.
Actually, I think GCEs are still offered where I live!

The full title of what is currently known as the A Level is the General Certificate of Education (GCE) A2 Level.

GCSEs (general certificate of secondary education) I think are the qualification at the level you are thinking of, mind.

Going back to older qualifications doesn't really help. What we need is a range of qualifications that actually suit people and are taken seriously.

silent000
02-05-08, 17:50
Apart From one B and one C my GCSEs spelt FUDGE :lol:

landofcake
03-05-08, 13:34
When i did my A-Levels (about 3 years ago), the marks you obtained from your AS level counted towards the final mark you would obtain for the A-Level as a whole ... so you may want to retake any of the ones you did badly in ...

nobby
03-05-08, 14:52
aww crap : \

CMaster
03-05-08, 16:50
When i did my A-Levels (about 3 years ago), the marks you obtained from your AS level counted towards the final mark you would obtain for the A-Level as a whole ... so you may want to retake any of the ones you did badly in ...

Well yes. Your A2 level grade is from all six modules. That isn't what Nobby was asking, although it may be what he meant. If you got Es at AS, you'll need to be getting better than A marks to get a B overall.

If I recall correctly, an E at AS means you got between 120 and 150 UMS marks (from 300). At A2 a B needs 420 UMS marks (from 600) so you'll need to get between 270 and 300 out of the 300 marks available from the remaining three modules. In other words, you will need to retake things, because that isn't going to happen.

Ishmael/Mystic
04-05-08, 09:42
just right the answers on the inside of ur PA, or stealth into the exam office and steal a paper... thats what i did :p

nobby
04-05-08, 19:02
Please explain your devilish ways to nobby :)

Ishmael/Mystic
04-05-08, 19:35
don't ask me about exams, i used to do 20 mins work for a 2 hour exam then sleep/ jump on my desk and do the sex emote :D

FuzzyDuck
06-05-08, 14:01
just in case you're asking the original question because you're trying to get into uni; None of the good unis consider 'points' they just look at your grades. Plus 4 Es... I think your choices are somewhat limited :wtf:.

CMaster
06-05-08, 14:18
just in case you're asking the original question because you're trying to get into uni; None of the good unis consider 'points' they just look at your grades. Plus 4 Es... I think your choices are somewhat limited :wtf:.

They do basically consider points. Most places would consider ABC the same as BBB which are funnily enough also equivilant in points. They'll also all take the IB and use the UCAS points system to work out the A Level equivilance.

They're just oldfashioned and prefer to present it as grades (also people understand them easier), plus they often require attainment in a specific subject. The point nobby was asking stil stands though - if you have a full A2 level, nobody gives a damn about the AS results in the same subject.

nobby
08-05-08, 00:57
Good good

I'm thinking of going to UCLAN (uni of central lancashire) for their course i've seen. Japanese and Mandarin with methodology of Teaching qualification .

Only requires 120-160 Ucas points.

Reading student university guides, UCLAN got "excellent" for all it's facilities and whatnot