PDA

View Full Version : [OT] PC won't detect Oblivion

RogerRamjet
10-04-08, 18:00
Just got myself a new(ish) PC. Went out, bought Oblivion since i've been gagging to play it for ages only the find when I insert it into my disc drive it doesn't even show it's there :mad:

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Jodo
10-04-08, 18:04
Does it detect other DVD's? My DVD writer suddenly stopped bothering to detect CD's a couple of months ago. Also, did you get the game from a reputable seller? A few online places sell stacks of fakes.

DocNitro
10-04-08, 18:10
Also, some games have issues when their autoplay detects CD burning stuff or virtual cd programs. And there could always be 'hardware incompatibility'.

Hell-demon
10-04-08, 19:13
Oblivion is crap. Get S.T.A.L.K.E.R instead.

james_finn
10-04-08, 20:51
* Is the CD drive plugged in correctly? (Any cables loose)
* Is the disc scratched?
* Like other people ask are you using CD emulation software (Daemon tools etc.) some software wont install if it sees this on your PC - dont know if Oblivion was one of them :S

THE_TICK!!!!
11-04-08, 03:54
hahaha rog :) operator head space and timing !! :P oblivion blows goats..play a real game like..hmmmmm er NEOCRON !!!

RogerRamjet
11-04-08, 11:09
Does it detect other DVD's? My DVD writer suddenly stopped bothering to detect CD's a couple of months ago. Also, did you get the game from a reputable seller? A few online places sell stacks of fakes.

Yup, detects other DVDs, and yeh bought it from a highstreet game store.

And i already have (and completed) STALKER :p

The bloke I got the PC off has played oblivion before, so I can't think of what the issue is.

edit: OK, apparently it won't detect Rome:Total War either :confused:

Right, it seems to pick up games on old school compact discs, but not DVDs. I assume it must be a driver issue. Any ideas where to get some?

Doc Holliday
11-04-08, 16:21
tescos. they sell everything there. :)

try googling the manufacturer. also check the disk isnt a tescos copy dvd ;)

CMaster
11-04-08, 17:22
Yup, detects other DVDs, and yeh bought it from a highstreet game store.

And i already have (and completed) STALKER :p

The bloke I got the PC off has played oblivion before, so I can't think of what the issue is.

edit: OK, apparently it won't detect Rome:Total War either :confused:

Right, it seems to pick up games on old school compact discs, but not DVDs. I assume it must be a driver issue. Any ideas where to get some?

Shouldn't need drivers for drives, funnily enough. You sure that it is actually a DVD drive and not just a CD drive?
Also, what do you mean by "doesn't detect". As in can't read the disc, or just doesn't autoplay?

SizZLeR
11-04-08, 22:50
As cmaster says, u dont need drivers for ATAPI drives and to me it also sounds like you're trying to use a DVD in a CD-rom drive... :-/

Conduit
11-04-08, 23:00
For some reason, after I've burnt a film on my DVD writer, the drive won't detect anything else until I've rebooted my PC. So, it's a long shot... but if you burnt a film or something you might want to try rebooting if you haven't done so already.

Edit: I'm using Vista home premium.

RogerRamjet
12-04-08, 00:24
It has the DVD logo on the front, so I assume its a DVD drive :confused:

I might swap out my CD drive from my old PC and see what happens.

Darkana
12-04-08, 09:14
Afaik all these combo drives have multiple laser diodes, which means they can break independently. In other words, your drive might still be able to handle CDs while it's broken for DVDs. So best to crosscheck it with a working DVD drive. And then there are weird issues like Conduit (hellow! :D *huggles*) described.

RogerRamjet
14-04-08, 14:54
Should I just be able to swap out my current disc drive with a new one and everything will work fine?

CMaster
14-04-08, 15:35
Should I just be able to swap out my current disc drive with a new one and everything will work fine?

Yep. Shouldn't be a problem at all.
Pull out the old one, connect up the new in the same way. Check that any jumpers on the drives have the same setting.

RogerRamjet
15-04-08, 00:28
Yep. Shouldn't be a problem at all.
Pull out the old one, connect up the new in the same way. Check that any jumpers on the drives have the same setting.

Jumpers? You've lost me now.

THE_TICK!!!!
15-04-08, 01:20
n000b !! on the back man..yaknow the JUMPERS.....IE hard drive jumpers for master slave settings..should have the same thing on your dvd drive :)

Jodo
15-04-08, 03:48
Jumpers? You've lost me now.

It's a fibrous sleeve that sits around the drive to give it insulation and shock protection. It also helps it from freezing up in winter time and is occasionally made of wool.

LiL T
15-04-08, 04:53
bleh, just buy a new DVD drive they are cheap, don't need nowt flash, just something that works.

Asurmen Spec Op
15-04-08, 06:36
It's a fibrous sleeve that sits around the drive to give it insulation and shock protection. It also helps it from freezing up in winter time and is occasionally made of wool.
I loled extremely.

A jumper is to say it simply a small piece of plastic with some metal in it to connect two(or more pins, but in this case two) pins. Once you unplug the harddrive and get it out of the case look at the back where the input is. you should see them. They will also usually have on the drive somewhere something that tells you the positions

ofcorse, cable select usually works, but it may be easier to just use the same jumper settings as your old drive.

RogerRamjet
15-04-08, 08:51

Ha.

I've just woke up and was like "Hmm, mine didn't come with one of those" :lol:

But thanks Asurmen anyway :p

naimex
15-04-08, 23:01
I didn't bother reading the thread, I just saw "won't detect any discs"

I have seen this problem on 3 different computer in the last 2 weeks and have managed to trace the problem atleast in windows vista to an update relased by microsoft.

Somewhere between the 11th of march and the 14th of march I believe it was, I noticed 2 updates released by microsoft to solve problems with various things in vista.

one of them is kb946041
the other might have been kb905866

(those are the kb numbers for the 64 bit edition atleast, not sure if they are the same for the 32 bit versions)

By removing those 2, restarting the computer, and then reinstalling them, I managed to solve the problem on all 3 computers.

(1x laptop running windows vista 32 bit home, 1x stationary running windows vista 32 bit business and 1x stationary running windows vista 64 bit ultimate)

Hope this was infact what the question was all about, or that it atleast helped you in some way.

---

EDIT:

Just realized I never explained what it was that was the actual problem with those 3 computers.

90 % of all cds and dvds that were put in the machines, it could read fine that there were this and this much data used on them, but when you tried to access the drive, it wanted you to "format" the disc. And just asked you what you wanted to call it.

Asurmen Spec Op
16-04-08, 00:01
I didn't bother reading the thread, I just saw "won't detect any discs"

I have seen this problem on 3 different computer in the last 2 weeks and have managed to trace the problem atleast in windows vista to an update relased by microsoft.

Somewhere between the 11th of march and the 14th of march I believe it was, I noticed 2 updates released by microsoft to solve problems with various things in vista.

one of them is kb946041
the other might have been kb905866

(those are the kb numbers for the 64 bit edition atleast, not sure if they are the same for the 32 bit versions)

By removing those 2, restarting the computer, and then reinstalling them, I managed to solve the problem on all 3 computers.

(1x laptop running windows vista 32 bit home, 1x stationary running windows vista 32 bit business and 1x stationary running windows vista 64 bit ultimate)

Hope this was infact what the question was all about, or that it atleast helped you in some way.

---

EDIT:

Just realized I never explained what it was that was the actual problem with those 3 computers.

90 % of all cds and dvds that were put in the machines, it could read fine that there were this and this much data used on them, but when you tried to access the drive, it wanted you to "format" the disc. And just asked you what you wanted to call it.
That sounds somewhat different than his afaik, his doesn't detect anything whereas yours detects them as what seems like a cdr/dvdr

Ha.

I've just woke up and was like "Hmm, mine didn't come with one of those" :lol:

But thanks Asurmen anyway :p
No problem, ye shall repay me in hawt sex

naimex
16-04-08, 00:27
That sounds somewhat different than his afaik, his doesn't detect anything whereas yours detects them as what seems like a cdr/dvdr

No problem, ye shall repay me in hawt sex

oh well, win some, lose some.

SizZLeR
16-04-08, 15:41
I once had a DVD-rom drive and after approx 6 months it suddenly stopped working when it came to CDs, DVDs it could read but not CDs.

So far i believe the laser used for reading dvd is capable of reading cds as well, the wavelength for a dvd laser is 640nm while a cd laser is 780nm and therefore the DVD laser can read the smaller bumps that the dvd uses for data storage.

Therefore i dont see it as a possiblity that the laser is broken, BUT maybe if it gets out of alignment, just by a tiny bit, it might still be able to read cds but not dvds....maybe?

However as everyone else is also saying, get a new DVD burner, they hardly cost anything and regarding the jumper, stick with jumping to either master or slave, dont use cableselect, it may just screw things up e.g. the dvd or some other drive isnt detected.

Setting the jumper is pretty easy, even if u havent tried it before. :-)
Good luck with it.

rob444
17-04-08, 10:49
You might want to check your DVD manufacturer's website and see if there is an available firmware update, that could solve your problem if there is such an update :).