PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Nobbykins and driving ^^

nobby
02-04-08, 05:47
Well would you believe it...

NC's dear old Nobby will be driving soon :p

Been learning since January and got test booked for april 21st :)

woo wooo !

Brrrrrmmmmmm Brrmmmm *crash*

Apocalypsox
02-04-08, 06:44
Im going to have my truck shipped over just so i can run into you and blame it all on you. :D

Selket
02-04-08, 07:29
you slowly transforming this forum into your personal Diary

Shame on you! :D

PS cars suck. anyway in 2-3 years Gasprices are unpayable high so i will not waste my money for car, tax, licence, gas, parkinglot and so on

Jodo
02-04-08, 08:04
Good luck. Try not to do a "George of the jungle".

Voodoo_Magic
02-04-08, 09:15
Good luck. Try not to do a "George of the jungle".

Bikes are the way to go :s

or Hybrids

RAB
02-04-08, 09:48
Bikes .... check the pic...

Oooo yeah... 955 tripple, hot exhaust, modified jets, 1 tooth less at the back (for greater acceleration)..

i kid you not, this beast pulls like ... i dont know what.

i havnt met another bike on the road that thhis wont accelerate past fairly easilly.

errr... but of course this is NOT the sort of bike you want to be riding if you are a novice lol

and cars... everyone crashes their first car, cos most people think they can drive just cos they past their test. you cant! you need experience!

take it slow and careful n you prob be ok mate.

Hoder
02-04-08, 14:02
Tip of the day, Nobby:

ASGs don't exist in real life. Nor will your vehicle have epic status. Also, driving into people hurts; they don't just glide aside then try shooting you. Your vehicle won't respawn perfectly with a few clicks of the mouse.

Respect the laws of physics and you'll do well on the 21st ;)

Mirrors, signal, manoeuvre and all that.

Voodoo_Magic
02-04-08, 14:38
Also, driving into people hurts; they don't just glide aside then try shooting you.

Well, unless you from the United States Of *******

Faid
02-04-08, 17:03
lol, whats the driving age in England? I've had my license since I was 16.

Asurmen Spec Op
02-04-08, 17:50
Tip of the day, Nobby:

ASGs don't exist in real life. Nor will your vehicle have epic status. Also, driving into people hurts; they don't just glide aside then try shooting you. Your vehicle won't respawn perfectly with a few clicks of the mouse.

Respect the laws of physics and you'll do well on the 21st ;)

Mirrors, signal, manoeuvre and all that.
Pft! My Audi has epic status.

silent000
02-04-08, 18:09
I just had my mock driving exam (not my real one) and I failed it purely because i started pissing myself trying to do a hill start; stop on the side of the road on a hill, shoved it in 1st gear did my mirror check and noticed a strange looking fellow in my mirror dancing, it put me in stitches, and stupid old me lets the handbrake go with no clutch so i roll backwards :D

+ 1 Serious Fault

Skusty
02-04-08, 19:39
I will be getting my licenses for free, by my school. :D The only thing I'll be doing in the second and third grade is reading for drivinglicenses. :D

Mr Kot
02-04-08, 21:24
It's 17 in England for cars, unless you receive disability living allowance at the higher rate, in which case, 16.

At 16, you can ride a moped or scooter up to 50cc.

noticed a strange looking fellow in my mirror dancing, it put me in stitches, and stupid old me lets the handbrake go with no clutch so i roll backwards :D

+ 1 Serious FaultNoob :p Did the guy get squished?

Voodoo_Magic
02-04-08, 22:08

Its also obsenly complex to get a driving license in england...

And VERY expensive

£20 per hour lesson atm, and most people have 20 lessons average.

So £400 in lessons, exams £100 (inc hire of drivers cars)
Practical is god knows how much, what? £50?

Then you first years insurance is about £1000 unless you don't have it in your name, but you should do to get the no claims bonus building

(And the the "learners" License itself is just under £50, not sure if you have to pay for the license itself as well)

Mr Kot
02-04-08, 22:51
most people have 20 lessons average.
Only 20? You must be good then. Imagine how much it would cost if you're useless.

Jodo
02-04-08, 23:03
Most people who have tried crossing the road or travelling on the motorway would argue that it's still to damn easy to get a licence.

Bozz-Von Mel
03-04-08, 16:59
Your license sir. Let me see your license.

License ? Oh, its on the bumper man.

It should be 18 to drive in the US.

Even if gas was $6 a gallon I would still not drive a hybrid.

Nanite repair tools would make body shops obsolete.

silent000
03-04-08, 17:58
I've only done 10 Lessons and got 2 more then booked in for my test. So Total 12 Lessons = £240 (£20 per lesson). Passed Theory first time so thats +£28.50 (thats each time you take it) Then isn't it like £40 quid per driving test?...Thats alot of pennies indeed

EDIT: Oh btw anyone who tells me they failed on their Hazard Perception on the theory is gunna get a slapping ;) That was just easy lol ;)

nEo-1664
03-04-08, 19:02
I've only done 10 Lessons and got 2 more then booked in for my test. So Total 12 Lessons = £240 (£20 per lesson). Passed Theory first time so thats +£28.50 (thats each time you take it) Then isn't it like £40 quid per driving test?...Thats alot of pennies indeed

EDIT: Oh btw anyone who tells me they failed on their Hazard Perception on the theory is gunna get a slapping ;) That was just easy lol ;)

Tis indeed about £40 for the driving test itself, but you also have to include the hire of the car from your instructor. Normally they will charge a 2hour lesson for that, so your instructor can go over any last minute bits n pieces, then ya test, and then regardless of pass or fail, your instructor will ALWAYS drive you back home. So total cost of the test, is £40 for the test, + £40 for 2hours of the car, so around £80 per test you take! Fortunately I only had 12 2hour lessons, and passed the tests first time, but hey! :P Good luck anyone! :)

Mr Kot
03-04-08, 20:03
isn't it like £40 quid per driving test?...Thats alot of pennies indeed
More like £48.50 until last week, now it's gone up to £56.50. If you want to take it on a saturday, you'll have to fork out £67.

The hazard perception is a piece of piss if you know what you're looking for on a road. What was your score?

ashley watts
04-04-08, 12:48
I got my Car learners about 3 months ago, so far so good :p

Good luck with the tests

RogerRamjet
04-04-08, 13:10
Welcome to the world of driving tests Nobby.

Soon you'll find that examiners will fail you for ridiculous reasons in attempts to milk a further £90 a time out of you.

Apparently being stuck in slow traffic counts as "not making proper progress" up where I live :rolleyes:

danmalone
04-04-08, 14:03
More like £48.50 until last week, now it's gone up to £56.50. If you want to take it on a saturday, you'll have to fork out £67.

The hazard perception is a piece of piss if you know what you're looking for on a road. What was your score?

iirc when i passed my theory i got 33/35 on the multiple choice and 67/75 on haz perception. I was crapping myself when i came out and walked up the the geezer giving out the results, he had such an evil face :lol:

As for the practical test, cost me bout £50 near enuf a year or so ago... failed on first attempt due to some t**t behind me but passed second attempt with 2minors :p

Bozz-Von Mel
04-04-08, 14:05
Oh, and your on the wrong side of the car too, that has to make it hard.

Mr Kot
04-04-08, 14:21
Soon you'll find that examiners will fail you for ridiculous reasons in attempts to milk a further £90 a time out of you.

Apparently being stuck in slow traffic counts as "not making proper progress" up where I live :rolleyes:
You sound bitter, Roger :p

Examiners only write down what they see. If you're in slow traffic, you would be expected to keep up with the flow and wouldn't be penalised if it really wasn't safe to go any faster. Did you miss numerous opportunities to overtake where it was safe? Did you get constantly stuck behind buses every time they stopped?

In cases like those, the cause of the failure would be bad forward planning and judgement where "lack of progress" would only be a symptom. Was the only serious fault recorded under "progress" or were there other faults for awareness / planning, following distance, clearance etc. ?

Only speculation of course, but it could be that your traffic driving was ok and you missed a higher speed limit sign elsewhere along the route, yet the main memory you have of the test was all the slow traffic. The examiner would have made his reasons clear during the debrief.

@ Nobby: Don't be too disheartened by other people's horror stories. If your driving is good enough, then you won't give the examiner an excuse to put pen to paper.

RogerRamjet
04-04-08, 14:33
You sound bitter, Roger :p

Examiners only write down what they see. If you're in slow traffic, you would be expected to keep up with the flow and wouldn't be penalised if it really wasn't safe to go any faster. Did you miss numerous opportunities to overtake where it was safe? Did you get constantly stuck behind buses every time they stopped?

I can assure you i'm not lying. The road itself is a national speed limit single carriageway. Attempting to overtake would have resulted in me not only breaking the speed limit but putting myself on the wrong side of the road for a considerable amount of time. Plus the road itself isn't particulary long so the hold up was maybe a matter of seconds. The guy was just some prick from County Durham who'd been sent down to the Teesside test centre for the day (he didn't seem best pleased about this) and I think he just wanted to take it out on someone (me being the first exam of the day).

When he told me the reason I felt like punching him in the mouth. He could blatantly see I could drive well. He'd made me do a parallel park on a hill which I got spot on aswell as a reverse into a parking bay (which I had to negotiate my way round a fucking massive van for aswell). To fail me on something so trivial was a kick in the teeth to be honest.

@Mr Kot. I didn't realise you're an instructor. I don't know what your opinion on the test is, but I always thought a better system would be to rack up a certain amount of driving time, and have your instructor (who you drive with week in, week out) pass you as opposed to an exam sitting in a car with a complete stranger. I have a few friends who've had one or two lessons and managed to pass their test which I don't believe is a fair (or safe) system.

Mr Kot
04-04-08, 16:26
I can assure you i'm not lying.I wasn't implying you were. I wanted you to think for a moment and consider the broader picture rather than the 'red mist' that descends after a disappointment. From what you say, the examiner sounded like he was in a bad mood on the day and he allowed his personal feelings to interfere in what should be an impartial judgement. It sounds like he hasn't done his job properly, but it still proves that they didn't just fail you for the money. Examiners are salaried anyway, so it matters not a jot to them how many more times they make you come back.

You're right about how people should be tested. Instructors who have known a person and their personality, attitude and aptitude for a while know more than an examiner about how safe a learner really is. Tests bring out the worst in people who can drive but are just plain nervous. Indeed, other countries have systems where the instructor asks a student to drive normally while the examiner just sits in the back and watches.

In the interests of impartiality and road safety, any test of competence to drive would still have to involve an examiner independent of the instructor (whom the learner has been paying all along), otherwise you'd have a system open to abuse.

Nymphette79
04-04-08, 20:42
Am also learning to drive atm, have had 2 2hour lessons so far and have got my theory in a month. Went into it totally new, didn't even know how to turn a car on.
Its bloody scary, and am not doing terribly well tbh, instructor keeps telling me to relax and let the wheel slide through my fingers (im holding it with white knuckles atm) and that I have to remember to breath when im driving. :lol:
Im learning with BSM but am luckily getting all my lessons/tests/literature paid for :D

Hell-demon
04-04-08, 20:46
Hit an a OAP and it's a million points

Mr Kot
04-04-08, 21:43
Im learning with BSM but am luckily getting all my lessons/tests/literature paid for :D
Until you mentioned that last part, I was gonna tell you to ditch BSM asap as they're shite. It's worth checking whether your instructor is a trainee or not as BSM are renowned for "blind leading the blind" type training. If he has a pink/red badge in the windscreen, ask the office for a transfer to someone who has a green one.

Good luck, anyway :)

nobby
10-04-08, 08:46
Oh, and your on the wrong side of the car too, that has to make it hard.

Yes its Horrible !

less than two weeks remaining jesus !!!

My bloody instructor had to cancel our lesson yesterday because of problems with his car, lesson now on saturday...

God I hope i'm ready :(

THE_TICK!!!!
10-04-08, 14:05
hmmm nobby...driving....dunno just dont sound right, then again i rented a car in london, w00t what a blast, felt like i was drunk driving sober :) i got cussed out allot..bloody traffic circles !!

Jodo
10-04-08, 17:57
Hahahaha I love the way Americans get confused by navigating a simple shape. :lol:

l8m0n
10-04-08, 20:55
Took me a week from scratch including theory, passed first time. God bless teh army, then i had to learn how to drive 70 tonne tanks straight after. Going from fiesta to challenger 2, hmmm.

Drive my typer like a tank ive been told.

nobby
20-04-08, 12:48
omg...

My test is tomorrow : o

Pray for me everyone !

silent000
20-04-08, 14:07
Good Luck Old Freind :cool:

landofcake
20-04-08, 16:02
Good luck 8)

Bozz-Von Mel
20-04-08, 16:10
Took me a week from scratch including theory, passed first time. God bless teh army, then i had to learn how to drive 70 tonne tanks straight after. Going from fiesta to challenger 2, hmmm.

Drive my typer like a tank ive been told.

What the hell is driving theory?

It costs $2000 to fill up a M1A2.

Dribble Joy
20-04-08, 16:31
In the UK you have to pass a driving theory test before you take the practical one.

BTW, hybrids are rubbish, there are regular cars out there that have better mpg.

naimex
20-04-08, 18:16
In the UK you have to pass a driving theory test before you take the practical one.

BTW, hybrids are rubbish, there are regular cars out there that have better mpg.

Same in Denmark.

First you get education and driving lessons.

Then you get a test, that is there to make sure that people understand what roadsigns mean, and how to proceed with driving in certain theoretic situations (like construction work ahead, a ball on the road and a kid on the pavement, snowy landscape with curved road up ahead thats being shaded by trees), stuff like that.

Then when you've passed that test, you get a policeman to sit next to you, who writes down everything you do wrong in the actual driving test and then he estimates whether or not it's rookie errors or life threatening errors, and then based on his estimate, you might get the license or you will have to do a new test, normally 2 weeks later.

Someimes during the driving test you are asked to pull over, pop the hood, and explain what the various stuff in the engine room is, (like sprinkler tank, oil tank, check if you know how to check oil, check if you know how to check coolant, and then some theoretical bullshit about how bright the lights are allowed and must atleast glow, and the reason for it).

Skusty
20-04-08, 19:07
When I got my tractorslicense all I had to do was taking a 70 Question test at the DMV. Then I got my license (tractorslicense). So I can drive my Volvo Duett on the roads now. :p

Jodo
20-04-08, 23:25
Good luck Nobby, we'll all stay off the roads tomorrow. :p

It costs $2000 to fill up a M1A2.

What's the MPG on that?

Dribble Joy
21-04-08, 02:02
What's the MPG on that?
Not sure, but it's pretty low, even by tank standards since it uses a gas-turbine engine. It takes something daft like 10 gallons of fuel to start up.
In comparison a Challenger 2 does about 4 gallons per mile.

The advantage is that it's compact, has a high power-weight ratio and easier to replace.

Bozz-Von Mel
21-04-08, 16:27
Hahahaha I love the way Americans get confused by navigating a simple shape. :lol:

I am laughing because my first experience with traffic circles was in Iraq. Lets just say the only reason there was no accident is because "most" people stop for vehicles with guns.

Anyway how would an 18 wheeler with a 40+ foot trailer make it through a traffic circle? I can see how they speed up traffic, but I would be like Chevy Chase in London.

danmalone
21-04-08, 16:32
Well i think the last time just passed so he should be back soon... I wonder how he did :)

nobby
21-04-08, 17:19
Poor Nobby Darling Failed... :(

I'll upload my report sheet so you can all laugh

William Antrim
21-04-08, 17:49
When they said put a potato in your trousers to impress the examiner they meant put it in the front of your trousers nobby....

danmalone
21-04-08, 18:20
Poor Nobby Darling Failed... :(

I'll upload my report sheet so you can all laugh

Unlucky dude :(

Was it your 1st attempt?

l8m0n
21-04-08, 19:28
I am laughing because my first experience with traffic circles was in Iraq. Lets just say the only reason there was no accident is because "most" people stop for vehicles with guns.

Anyway how would an 18 wheeler with a 40+ foot trailer make it through a traffic circle? I can see how they speed up traffic, but I would be like Chevy Chase in London.

It's alot easier to drive on iraq's roads than UK roads in armoured veh's trust, we seem to have the smallest roads ever. Ripped up many a kerb :lol:

silent000
21-04-08, 19:57
Any serious faults? Or just too many minors?

Anyway im about to have my driving lesson in approximately 3 mins ;)

Hoder
21-04-08, 21:16
im about to have my driving lesson in approximately 3 mins ;)You finished yet? Only I want to use the road :p

Bad luck, Nobby. Take on board what the examiner said and work on your weak areas. I'm sure you can pass if you improve what needs improving :)

naimex
21-04-08, 22:07
You finished yet? Only I want to use the road :p

Bad luck, Nobby. Take on board what the examiner said and work on your weak areas. I'm sure you can pass if you improve what needs improving :)

He could just have been unlucky too..

I flunked my first driving test... on my birthday no less :(

I had like a million minor errors (which werent errors, the examiner just didnt look at me when i was looking over my shoulder to check for bikes).

Then 2 weeks later I had a new test schedule, I hadn't read a word, didn't do anything different, passed with 0 errors, same examiner even.

Jodo
22-04-08, 03:28

Dunno, never tried, but they seem to do ok. The Chevy Chase scene was exactly what sprung to mind when I read the post. :)

silent000
22-04-08, 12:44
Test Booked for 1st of June :cool: TBFH! :cool:

Kanedax
22-04-08, 14:34
Meh, I know I'd hate to have to take a driving exam over there. Your streets are narrow. Ours are quite easy to drive over here in teh US. Good luck on your exam Andy, and Nobby, you'll get it man. I failed my first one too. ^^

nobby
22-04-08, 17:25
My manouvers - Reverse around a corner and 3 point turn were 100% fine.

Here are my minors - Steering x 3 !
Moveoff, safety x1

Signals, Timed x1

And uhh... the Majors...

Use of speed x2 + (S)

Junctions, obervation (DANGER)
Turning right (S)

So there you are :p

I fail? ^^

silent000
22-04-08, 17:42
"Use of Speed" Too slow of too fast? :cool: I got 3 minors on my last mock test for going to slow :lol:

But yeh just relax about everything and just remember what you have been taught and take every situtation before it comes, but don't think too far ahead

l8m0n
22-04-08, 23:29
I shat myself taking my test, 14 minors! Swish

Mr Kot
23-04-08, 01:56
"Use of Speed" Too slow of too fast?
Too fast.

Not necessarily exceeding a speed limit, but possibly too fast for the conditions.

Driving too slowly would be marked under "progress"

Skusty
23-04-08, 13:59
I'm 16, and I'm driving a Volvo Duett Legally! :D

http://pici.se/thumbs/t_oceoOgBeU.gif (http://pici.se/250457)http://pici.se/thumbs/t_ZECVJLexV.gif (http://pici.se/250458)http://pici.se/thumbs/t_NNAOCiKrC.gif (http://pici.se/250459)http://pici.se/thumbs/t_YbGphuWNI.gif (http://pici.se/250460)
http://pici.se/thumbs/t_kdDjxcdnK.gif (http://pici.se/250461)http://pici.se/thumbs/t_GBoSqwfzL.gif (http://pici.se/250462)http://pici.se/thumbs/t_uPyzmCTPQ.gif (http://pici.se/250463)http://pici.se/thumbs/t_sLbQZAWMZ.gif (http://pici.se/250465)