PDA

View Full Version : [OT] ATI or NVidia?

flib
30-03-08, 03:18
Out of curiosity, what graphics cards do the players of Neocron use to play it?

Could a mod please make this a poll, please? :

What graphics card?
Nvidia
ATI
Other

Kanedax
30-03-08, 03:52
Ive used both, right now im using the GeForce 6800 and it works okay. My comp is kinda old though.

flib
30-03-08, 04:47
Ive used both, right now im using the GeForce 6800 and it works okay. My comp is kinda old though.
What kind of performance did you get with the ATI card? Also, what card was it?

Jodo
30-03-08, 08:03
100% I prefer Nvidia, they just seem to have all of the aspects nailed.

flib
30-03-08, 08:28
I wasn't asking what you preferred, I was asking what you used to play Neocron.
I apologize if I wasn't clear about this. :(

Darkana
30-03-08, 08:59
You should make it "ATI", "Intel", "NVidia" and "Other".

NVidia here; my latest investment was an ATI, though (but it hasn't seen Neocron, yet).

Kanedax
30-03-08, 09:59
I got good performance with each cards, the fps seems to be a bit higher with my current gfx card (Nvidia

Jodo
30-03-08, 11:48
I wasn't asking what you preferred, I was asking what you used to play Neocron.
I apologize if I wasn't clear about this. :(
Ok, but I prefer Nvidia and therefore only buy Nvidia.

DFox
30-03-08, 12:16
cant really tell cause i'm a Gforce man all my life. I can tell ya that i'm using a Gf 8600 fx and a Gf 6300 mx (or something like that ) and both pc's runs fine .. no trouble at all
in fact no trouble at all on any game

Okran
30-03-08, 12:54
ATI currently.

I am disappointed with the state of their drivers. The next card I will be getting will be nvidia.

Mc.Neill
30-03-08, 14:05
Nvidia 4 Life :)

got 2 9600GT atm...

1 9600GT is enough for nc...

greetz *Neill*

Mighty Max
30-03-08, 14:36
Nvidia Riva 128
(Well that was once, and it worked quite well together with that CelA-333)

Currently an ATI card (X1600m) but bleh. I chose whatever card is inexpensive in a) buying it b) in paying the power bill.

Given the current kWh prizes here, the two 9600GT would make a difference of about 20$/Month just for the power at my current usage rate. Wtf? My whole system runs on half the power (max) one of that monsters consumes in _idle_

landofcake
30-03-08, 15:18
I use whichever card is the best 'bang for buck' at the time.

That's currently the nVidia 8800 GT 512Mb ...

Although i own and use an 8800 GTX ...

Selket
30-03-08, 15:21
I prefer Nvidia the drivers are more clean and they work well

and if u want to use linux Nvidia cards are MUCH better supportet then ATI.

flib
30-03-08, 21:48
Just as I thought, just about everyone is using NVidia.
That's not because NVidia is better (maybe it is, but that's not why), it's because Neocron doesn't work correctly with ATI cards. I'm thinking that most people that run ATI are driven away by the BS. It's the reason that I'm leaving the game, because my Radeon X850XTPE apparently isn't good enough.

ATI currently.

I am disappointed with the state of their drivers. The next card I will be getting will be nvidia.
Well don't go with Nvidia just for Neocron.

and if u want to use linux Nvidia cards are MUCH better supportet then ATI.I've actually had better success with ATI in Linux than Nvidia, since AMD acquired ATI. I tried Nvidia and the drivers just wouldn't install, but the ATI drivers installed just fine.

Thank you for your info everyone.

Setlec
31-03-08, 00:11
Ati has lost it performance for gaming... and has focussed on the 3d modeling market... but Nvidia has become so good that in gaming that the 3d modelers are migrating from Ati to Nvidia cards... as a linux user i recommend Nvidia too

flib
31-03-08, 03:51
I prefer Nvidia the drivers are more clean and they work well

and if u want to use linux Nvidia cards are MUCH better supportet then ATI.

Ati has lost it performance for gaming... and has focussed on the 3d modeling market... but Nvidia has become so good that in gaming that the 3d modelers are migrating from Ati to Nvidia cards... as a linux user i recommend Nvidia too
Samefag is the same?

Voodoo_Magic
31-03-08, 04:17
ATI currently.

Same i was a fan of ATI all the way upto the .. i forgot :s

crap, the latest ish one , costs about £200 atm (maybe 2nd latest)

anyways im using nvidea 8800gts 640mb atm

Mr Jeff
31-03-08, 04:20
Samefag is the same?
You're right, it does look like this is the same guy.

trip-trew
31-03-08, 04:25
You're right, it does look like this is the same guy.
I think hes right !.

Setlec
31-03-08, 04:37
Samefag is the same?
what do you mean?

Setlec
31-03-08, 04:40
well i'm on NC much longer than Selket it seems that he/she has got inspired by my nickname... and i'm don't speak german... can any moderator delete my previous post? thank you ^^

Mr Jeff
31-03-08, 04:40
what do you mean?
I think he means that it looks like Setlec and Seklet are the same person, due to the fact that the names are practically the same, and both of their posts were very similar in the opinion and message conveyed.

I could be wrong though.

flib
31-03-08, 04:42
I think he means that it looks like Setlec and Seklet are the same person, due to the fact that the names are practically the same, and both of their posts were very similar in the opinion and message conveyed.

I could be wrong though.
You hit the head on the nail there my friend. (or is it the other way around?)

HOG
31-03-08, 05:06
I used to be an ATI fan but the drivers are HORRENDOUS in my experience. Next card will be an nvidia for sure. But one thing that caught my attention with ati ...and im not sure if this is still true as i read it along time ago. I guess with SLI you need drivers for every game but with ATI the crossfire is compatible with everything? If this is still true it seems crossfire would be better for people who play less popular games...such as neocron ^^.

flib
31-03-08, 05:28
From my experience the Nvidia drivers take up a large chunk of ram.

Fega
31-03-08, 06:04
I'm using 4 ATI 3870s, havn't tested my new rig with NC yet. (I should.) But hell everything runs smooth.

Torg
31-03-08, 15:02
geforce 7600 (passive cooling), no complaints in NC. i started nc1 (back in the days) on a geforce 2 (was a bit weak), upgraded to a geforce 4200 (which did the job).

nabbl
31-03-08, 16:10
nvidia riva 128

-> nvidia tnt 2

-> nvidia geforce 2 mx 400

-> nvidia geforce 3 ti 200

-> nvidia geforce 5600

-> ATI Radeon 9600pro

-> ATI Radeon X1950XT

-> nvidia Geforce 8800GTX

nvidia 4 life :P

flib
31-03-08, 17:32
Anyways: basically, if the game doesn't magically start performing correctly, I'm not going to be reactivating. I'm tired of getting my ass kicked in pvp just because the game can't handle my awesome graphics card.

Jodo
31-03-08, 17:34
Not to mention Multi-Core CPU's.

Doc Holliday
31-03-08, 17:51
Anyways: basically, if the game doesn't magically start performing correctly, I'm not going to be reactivating. I'm tired of getting my ass kicked in pvp just because the game can't handle my awesome graphics card.

Thats a new excuse. congratulations for originality.

jonnyboy21
31-03-08, 18:18
NVidia all the way, but it doesn't really matter for Neocron :lol:

flib
31-03-08, 21:50
Thats a new excuse. congratulations for originality.
Says the guy who has to gang up on me to "teach me some manners".

SizZLeR
01-04-08, 01:36
I used to have a GF6800 too, u can actually on the plain model of the 6800 e.g. not GT, Ultra etc. unlock 4 xtra pixelpipelines as the card actually comes with 16pp but only uses 12pp, also u can unlock 2 xtra vertex shaders too, the card has 6 but only uses 4 of them.

All is done using rivatuner, i did it myself and the performanceincrease u achieve going from 12pp to 16pp is quite a bit, actually i gained like 25% and thats noticeable.

Ive always used nVidia cards, well in the good old days i used 3Dfx Voodoo, but ive had

GF2 MX
GF4 440MX
GF4 TI4800SE
GF FX5900XT
GF 6800
GF 8800GTS 320MB (current)

However im semi-pissed that i cant get hold of another GF8800 GTS like the one i have to use for SLI, as i apparently cant get a Xpertvision GF8800GTS 320MB anywhere. :rolleyes:

So it seems i need to go for just a single and better card instead of just SLI'ing my way to better gfx performance. :(

Selket
01-04-08, 02:34
ok me and setlec should be the same person?

because the name is similar?

SELKET
SETLEC

the only similarity is a S,E,E the rest is different and has for my thinking different meanings

Do you also believe 911 was a conspirazy? Or you can break the internet when you type google....into Google?

Really sherlock holmes worked here. If the Name is similar, and if they prefer Nvidia? IT HAS TO BE THE SAME PERSON.

I AM FUCKING ORIGINAL

flib
01-04-08, 02:40
Actually, I was just fooling around. In case you couldn't tell, Mr Jeff was me.

Setlec
01-04-08, 04:06
Yeah well said Selket ( almost typed my own nick :p ) we are both Originals and have the same taste for nvidia and linux... but that's all... ^^

cheers

Neo.x.phyte
01-04-08, 05:26
HD 3870 FTW

ATI all the way folks :) why, why not its not nvidia who is a corporation who continually relabels a product after minor variations of the previous hardware. read here

"Anyway, the Geforce 9800 GTX is a faster version of the G92 chip and it can do 3-Way SLI. We don’t know anyone who uses 3-Way SLI, but if you are one of them, get yourself three Geforce 9800 GTX and be happy. Otherwise, the card looks incredibly similar to the Geforce 8800 GTS with slightly faster memory and clock speeds. It will even perform similar to some overclocked 8800 GTS cards. Let's call it a refurbished G92 with a better name.

We believe that Nvidia is probing the tolerance of the GPU market and at this time, the market doesn’t mind. We ask ourselves, is there a limit or will people just tolerate any trick that Nvidia pulls? Time will tell, but we wouldn’t be surprised to see some more renamed G92-based products from Nvidia. It’s as if Nvidia based its whole strategy on a single chip." -Fuad Abazovic Fudzilla.com

link to article (http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6544&Itemid=34)

Darkana
01-04-08, 08:33
HD 3870 FTW

[quote from some article]
Says the one having a HD 3870, which is just a ripoff of the HD 2900; but at least you believe in your own hype :p

Zheo
02-04-08, 21:25
I use an Nvidia 8800 GTX OC2, I only buy Nvidia, Tiberious uses a 9600 GT, in my second machine I'm putting a 9600 GT in

Neo.x.phyte
03-04-08, 08:31
[QUOTE=Neo.x.phyte]HD 3870 FTW

Says the one having a HD 3870, which is just a ripoff of the HD 2900; but at least you believe in your own hype :p
how is the 3870 a ripoff of the 2900 i can get mine to beat 8800GTS's which is pretty sick. 2900 doesn't come close afiak

CHA0S
03-04-08, 16:16
tbh its the price of the card what matters........higher the price the better it is :D
whether it will do NC justice is a different topic all on its own.......enough said k? :cool:

Darkana
03-04-08, 18:05
[QUOTE=Darkana]
how is the 3870 a ripoff of the 2900 i can get mine to beat 8800GTS's which is pretty sick. 2900 doesn't come close afiak
"who continually relabels a product after minor variations of the previous hardware" - I basicly said ATI/AMD does the same; the 3870 shares the same guts (removed a few things here, added a couple other things there) as the 2900.

flib
03-04-08, 19:20
I don't mean to be rude guys, but could you take the ATI vs. Nvidia stuff into another thread?
This thread is about me whining about how Neocron can't handle my ATI card.

Mighty Max
03-04-08, 20:02
It's the other way around tbh.
Your card doesn't handle neocron very well.

The whole gfx card design changed massively since nc went gold (from piping data to really processing data). Together with Neocrons mainly single-threaded design, the dx interface can't really efficient translate between the old and the new approach on rendering (the newer being much more asynchronous/indirect, causing dx to artificially synch jobs, thus slowing down on/to CPU level)

Jodo
03-04-08, 20:06
I don't mean to be rude guys, but could you take the ATI vs. Nvidia stuff into another thread?

I thought that had long been put to bed? The threads evolved now. :p

NAPPER
04-04-08, 02:53
I use Nvidia cant remeber the numbers lol but with fraps i have bout 30 to 40 fps on a good day* ;)

*If theys a new Hamster

Napper

Darkana
06-04-08, 08:46
8.3 Catalyst driver on 32bit XP Home, HD 2600 XT card, single core AMD64. So far, I have seen one bug: The landscape disappears (http://www.mantris.net/darkana/bugs/ati-bug-8.3-1.jpg) on certain conditions; objects like trees, buildings, stones, bushes and mobs are still visible, though. Graphical effects all show ok, too, as far as I have tested them.

flib
06-04-08, 11:41
That only happens when I alt-tab, it goes away when you zone.

I'm running:
Windows XP X64
AMD64 Dual Core Opteron
Radeon x850XT PE
Latest drivers

Darkana
07-04-08, 08:09
I haven't alt-tabbed in fullscreen when being outside, yet; indoors it works without problems. The landscape bug goes away just by turning the camera or moving. My guess it has something to do with what polygons the camera is intersecting with; in the above case it was a tree. I haven't had a single crash, yet - not that I played much - aside of the "exit-crashes" if you quit the game, and these I have with NVidia, too.

So, no idea what problems you are riddled with; my HD 2600 XT system handles Neocron well :D

Mighty Max
07-04-08, 09:19
aside of the "exit-crashes" if you quit the game, and these I have with NVidia, too.
That one is the same resource free'd multiple times, causing the second free to throw an unhandled exception. (Info from the callstack.log)
But well it is on exit ... who cares at that point anymore ;)

:edit: but ... grrr ... haven't thought about that, that might be the reason why ItemGFX stumbles over the ALT+F4 the same way as over an FRE on the is still running check.

SizZLeR
07-04-08, 13:05
tbh its the price of the card what matters........
Actually when i saw GF9800GTX i checked out the review on guru3d, they credit this card for its performancelvl vs its neat low pricetag. ;)

(General)

Whether one card is a ripoff of another is basically pointless to spend any thought on, because what matters are two things in combination, price and performance.

If u are satisfied with the performance of your graphics card vs its price, then thats it, no need from there to start thinking about your card may be some weird hybrid and so forth, becuase it doesnt change anything, regarding the performance nor the price u paid for it. ;)

3-way SLI, well as mentioned im still whining about i cant get another GF8800GTS of the same brand that i already have to make a 2-way SLI. :(

So far i havent really been anle to see any good point in SLI'ing, unless u just cant settle for one flagship model card.

To me SLI'ing becomes handy for situations like my current, where i have a GF8800GTS and now it would be nice with more power, however getting an Ultra version is expensive, so i could get another card like the one i have and SLI my way to the increased performance, at less than half the price.

But now i cant seem to get hold of a card like the one i have, not the same brand that is, so im basically screwed in that regard, and its been less than a year since swapped to the 8800GTS.

However if i were to replace my gfx board right now, i'd definately consider getting 2 pcs of GF9800GTX and SLI'em together, but yet id might wait until the Ultra version comes around and make the prices drop some ;)

krynstone
07-04-08, 21:45
One more situation in which it is useful is when you're driving a 30" widescreen like me:).

Not bragging but with that many pixels to push...moderate quality would bang a normal card to death.

Doc Holliday
07-04-08, 22:11
I thought that had long been put to bed? The threads evolved now. :p

lol. this is why i dont generally offer comment in threads made by said thread starter

rob444
07-04-08, 22:27
I've had problems with all my gfx cards, ATI & Nvidia cards.. Always been bad drivers in my case, ugh I hate it. :(. I'm on a 8800 GTS 640mb card right now and some games actually locks up the entire PC (UT3 and Supreme Commander for example).