View Full Version : Interesting read about online gaming

Doc Holliday
26-03-08, 20:18
An old article but nonetheless interesting. i found it when trawling through some other old stuff on bbc and found it linked to this one. its from a few years ago but not much has changed. Also i figure its more interesting than alot of the crap thats posted on here at the moment :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4198918.stm

Bob Arctor
26-03-08, 20:37
I think MMO addiction is a real problem for some people, but it's not one that can be solved by the state.

I've been through phases of really intense MMO playing myself, especially back in my days of playing WoW. I don't regret most of that time because I was playing with RL friends and it was also a great method of escapism for what was a pretty tough time in my life, but it was heart breaking to type in the '/played' command and see just how many hours of your life have been wasted on pressing the same three or four number keys over and over again.

I also know many people that balanced a 'succesful WoW career' with a sensible real life one, my best mate has been playing hardcore WoW for years (amongst other MMO's) and he's got a full-time job working the phones somewhere, is in the Police training program and has a seriously hot girlfriend.

However I've also known many people who have utterly neglected their social lives, careers, schoolwork and health in favour of playing an MMO and for them it's had a devastating effect.

Personally I think that school kids shouldn't be allowed to play MMO's, the majority of them (though not all) just don't have the maturity or self-control to know when to say when and keep their priorities straight.

Happily Neocron seems to have a fairly well-balanced player base :p can't think of any serious addicts on Terra off-hand (the sort of people you see online 24 hours a day and use a bottle for toilet breaks)

William Antrim
26-03-08, 20:42
Happily Neocron seems to have a fairly well-balanced player base :p can't think of any serious addicts on Terra off-hand (the sort of people you see online 24 hours a day and use a bottle for toilet breaks)

Believe me we have had them over the years.

Hell-demon
26-03-08, 21:01
Yeah, some right nutters writing fucked up fan fiction too

Doc Holliday
26-03-08, 21:05

no comments about staying up on an op fight with the roughnecks till 9am one morning huh :)

yes. i was addicted once :)

Zheo
26-03-08, 21:25
I'm only addicted to two things, chocolate and sex. Sex is healthy chocolate is not so good, but I force myself not to eat a lot of it except at easter, and christmas. mmmm chocolate.

Faid
26-03-08, 23:08
lol, I was on and off all last night trying to write a research paper while trying to OP fight. The paper won out in the end at least :D

William Antrim
27-03-08, 00:14
Just be sure not to write "omg pad noobz" half way through your research paper, I don't know if the examiners or moderators would understand.

They might not have enough research skill themselves you see..... ;)

Doc Holliday
27-03-08, 14:54
Just be sure not to write "omg pad noobz" half way through your research paper, I don't know if the examiners or moderators would understand.

They might not have enough research skill themselves you see..... ;)

thats almost about to start a whole other thread. dont hijack this one.

I Cant remember if its that article or one of the linked ones but one of the senior developers from WoW was talking about the fact of people buying accounts and how it was obvious if someone had, by the fact they would have no skills etc. worth a read for sure.

Faid
27-03-08, 15:33
I Cant remember if its that article or one of the linked ones but one of the senior developers from WoW was talking about the fact of people buying accounts and how it was obvious if someone had, by the fact they would have no skills etc. worth a read for sure.
That would be true if it actually took skills to play wow :lol:

THE_TICK!!!!
28-03-08, 04:31
so whats wrong with peein into a bottle :) i thought that was NORMAL !!

Scaramanga
28-03-08, 11:37
Didnt they do something even more drastic in Greece afew years back like ban all videogames due to people betting money on them constantly?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2238242.stm

Doc Holliday
28-03-08, 16:14
Didnt they do something even more drastic in Greece afew years back like ban all videogames due to people betting money on them constantly?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2238242.stm

Laughable to say the least. i would say thats waaaaaaaaay ott but then thats up the politicians at the end of the day. still its pretty funny.

zion1985
14-04-08, 01:21

I had to leave NC1 because when i was unemployed i would play NC from about 10am through to 4am monday to sunday and then when i admitted i had a problem with this game well problem with myself i had to say goodbye to the friends i made online... cancel my internet subscription and find work.. Mind you id become so addicted to nc1 and the atmosphere of like 6 teams in aggies blowing the crap out of them, addicted to new various skills such as rreasearch construction etc etc it was a money making service i mean in 1 day i could easily make 1 - 4 mill in tips from people wanting this that and the other done.. But then i got a job which ive had since leaving nc1 and despite it being the most hated job in the public eyes i will not leave as i know ill revert back to being on here non stop wanting to do better than everyone else eetc etc wanting to get quick cap. I mean when im at work i notice that if im having a boring day with like 1 fine under my belt i tend to walk about thinking of neocron BUT it soon passes then crops up.. But todays addiction

Mario Kart Wii online...

Regars

Xeon/ zeon xavier transformed into Shacker

Nytewolf2k7
14-04-08, 05:32
I know I've stayed up late many times to play Neocron. I guess I know where the Neocrack nickname came from :lol: At times this game can be sooo addictive ;)

- Nytewolf

Kanedax
14-04-08, 08:45
O snap, while this game is very good at drawing me in I wouldn't say I'm addicted. I spend about 2-5 hours in game on the weekdays and maybe the same on weekends, less if I find a ride and something to do, more if I don't. Honestly if i can't find shit to do outside of the house I may as well spend all of my time on Neocrack.

Nymphette79
14-04-08, 10:06
However I've also known many people who have utterly neglected their social lives, careers, schoolwork and health in favour of playing an MMO and for them it's had a devastating effect.

Would asking ur wife to wait till ur in a safe zone or till ur waiting for SI to wear off before having sex fall into that category??? :confused:

William Antrim
14-04-08, 13:13
Would asking ur wife to wait till ur in a safe zone or till ur waiting for SI to wear off before having sex fall into that category??? :confused:

You have to have sex in the wastelands honey! It's the rules!

SnowCrash
14-04-08, 13:51

Not if you like to have sex in public unsafe places and like the danger to get caught by the cops.
But don't worry. As long as you don't use the excuse "Sorry for being late, boss! I was stuck in sync several times on my way to the office!" then everything is ok. :lol:

Nymphette79
14-04-08, 15:58
Middle of the wastes on the bonnet of a Reveler only thing missing is the rain :angel: