PDA

View Full Version : ISP trouble

Necpock
22-02-08, 00:25
Ok so I take back what I said about *********-O-L... its shit and so are their support... I need to know is Neocron running on a Peer2Peer type connection?

If so I could lose access to my internet, or even go to jail... this is a joke...

I've used programs to ping the neocron server and i find packet loss but if i ping the nodes that "give packet loss" through CMD, I don't get any packet loss.

So if this indeed the problem (that my ISP has blocked peer2peer programs) looks like I've quite for good. Too much hassle to change ISP and all ISP's will eventually enforce this I bet.

Mr Kot
22-02-08, 03:48
Nah, NC ain't p2p.

You must be having a bad day. AOL may be shit in some respects, but I know that Nobby uses AOL and sings its praises and he has no problems with NC.

Try again tomorrow. I had to do that with Tiscali all the time :(

jini
22-02-08, 08:12
Problem is, you never know when these problems will end. Mine are going on for 6 months now maybe more...

CMaster
22-02-08, 12:22
You can't go to jail in the UK for just using a peer-to-peer application. AOL may be narrowbminded bastards and ban you from using it on their services, but that doesn't make it an arrestable offence.

The problem I understand that NC has is that the main packet type it uses (UDP) is apparently less reliable than TCP packets (I don't understand that much networking, but so I am told). Now, when ISPs start monkeying around with traffic (as AOL have as long as they have existed - hell, do you still have to run their special program on your PC to even be allowed online?), this tends to upset certain packet types that aren't being targeted, or software that relies on things arriving quickly etc... - NC it's pretty obvious because of it's sensitivity to net issues is obviously one of these.

Doc Holliday
22-02-08, 13:07
UDP is where information is needed to be sent back and forth quickly over a network where speed is the issue. Tcp sends back each packet for verification that its correct. it takes longer but is more accurate.

(im studying for my mcse at the mo :P)

Nec if its that bad get your mac code if you need it from AOL and get the hell out. there are other ISPs out there. try bt for example or one of the ones mentioned in the other thread.

Necpock
22-02-08, 14:12
You can't go to jail in the UK for just using a peer-to-peer application. AOL may be narrowbminded bastards and ban you from using it on their services, but that doesn't make it an arrestable offence.

The problem I understand that NC has is that the main packet type it uses (UDP) is apparently less reliable than TCP packets (I don't understand that much networking, but so I am told). Now, when ISPs start monkeying around with traffic (as AOL have as long as they have existed - hell, do you still have to run their special program on your PC to even be allowed online?), this tends to upset certain packet types that aren't being targeted, or software that relies on things arriving quickly etc... - NC it's pretty obvious because of it's sensitivity to net issues is obviously one of these.

My understanding is that UDP throws the packets at the server IP and hopes it receives them, where as TCP counts the packets, and verifys them. But TCP is slower due to the counting and security...

(what Doc pretty much said)

But AOL thinks that Neocron is p2p software, and "If I escalate the problem, My service will be ended with them". They are ******************ed, Grrrr it angers me. Not being funny but their understanding of "packets" are chunks of songs sent through p2p programs.

I was 95% sure NC wasn't "p2p", so atleast I can ring them up and have a good argument about it now... although I dunno if I can be arsed

Anyway, this problem started 3 days ago, only today have I bothered to lose 3 months worth of programs, games, drivers etc So lets see what happens, Hopefull this problem is from me being a ****************** and jumping to conclusions...

At least I have "Zee Radio" to keep me entertained until I download enough windows updates to use MSN again...

Doc Holliday
22-02-08, 14:32
tell them to give you your mac id and just move over to a new supplier. it will be worth it in the long run.

zii
22-02-08, 15:14
...and it is now illegal for an ISP in Britain to refuse to give you the mac id in order to move to another ISP so long as you have fulfilled your contractual oblications.

Asurmen Spec Op
22-02-08, 22:11
Ok so I take back what I said about *********-O-L... its shit and so are their support... I need to know is Neocron running on a Peer2Peer type connection?

If so I could lose access to my internet, or even go to jail... this is a joke...

I've used programs to ping the neocron server and i find packet loss but if i ping the nodes that "give packet loss" through CMD, I don't get any packet loss.

So if this indeed the problem (that my ISP has blocked peer2peer programs) looks like I've quite for good. Too much hassle to change ISP and all ISP's will eventually enforce this I bet.
Replace your ISP, ISPs that filter trafic are a bunch of cunts, period.
specially AOL :P
Neocron is not Peer2Peer software by any crazyperson stretch, its a mmorpg, its the same thing as them blocking WoW.

DrRisk
22-02-08, 23:10
it ain't hard for the wankers to google neocron either....

jini
23-02-08, 08:06
...and it is now illegal for an ISP in Britain to refuse to give you the mac id in order to move to another ISP so long as you have fulfilled your contractual oblications.
I never understood why on earth should the end consumer be obliged to enter very specific tech matters in order to bail out from a bad ISP/service.
The end consumer should simply issue a request of canceling the contract with one and starting it again with the other. In fact this is how things are done in Greece, and we were never held hostages by any company ever. On the other hand, dslam ports in Greece can only be given by our national Telco. How things are done in Britain? Do you have a central comittee that acts as a mediator between consumers and companies?

DrRisk
23-02-08, 11:36
Because Mr Jini. It keeps the customer from bothering.

Voodoo_Magic
23-02-08, 12:04
I never understood why on earth should the end consumer be obliged to enter very specific tech matters in order to bail out from a bad ISP/service.
The end consumer should simply issue a request of canceling the contract with one and starting it again with the other. In fact this is how things are done in Greece, and we were never held hostages by any company ever. On the other hand, dslam ports in Greece can only be given by our national Telco. How things are done in Britain? Do you have a central comittee that acts as a mediator between consumers and companies?

Sorry if asking for a number is technical...

Its just like asking for your phone number, it identifies your adsl activation.

Its nothing technical in the eye of a user, and with multiple adsl providers its so people cant jump from a 12 month contract 2 months in

Necpock
23-02-08, 12:04
I think all ISP's think your a complete noob to computers and are over 70 with no clue. Every time I ring them, they tell me to delete my cache and cookies step by step.

They also said that if I take the matter further, In their eyes NC is p2p and they will remove me from my subscription... Are they ******************ed? No one wants to know... Ive emailed 3 different emails to my ISP about this and rung them up now countless times.

I can't move ISP due to problems at home.. Infact I'm lucky that I have a connection atleast...

jini
23-02-08, 15:42
Sorry if asking for a number is technical...

Its just like asking for your phone number, it identifies your adsl activation.

Its nothing technical in the eye of a user, and with multiple adsl providers its so people cant jump from a 12 month contract 2 months in
Well, mac address is very technical I think. It's not exactly the number that you put on your bus. cards like a phone number.
Second, there are other ways to make you honour your contract. Also this is why I ALLWAYS avoid long term contracts with traders. Because most times, their bait is low price, but also a lousy service, so they got you in the trap and they dont offer you anything.
In my eyes there should be a way of bailing out, because in the end its all about the cash, and not blackmailing you by keeping mac addresses and the like, which is why UK courts took this right decision.

landofcake
23-02-08, 15:47
Well, mac address is very technical I think. It's not exactly the number that you put on your bus. cards like a phone number.
Second, there are other ways to make you honour your contract. Also this is why I ALLWAYS avoid long term contracts with traders. Because most times, their bait is low price, but also a lousy service, so they got you in the trap and they dont offer you anything.
In my eyes there should be a way of bailing out, because in the end its all about the cash, and not blackmailing you by keeping mac addresses and the like, which is why UK courts took this right decision.

jini, this always seems to confuse people, it's not a MAC address, in the UK an ISP can issue you a 'MAC Code' (MAC stands for something else here), which is purely a set of numbers/letters representing your connection to the local exchange i suspect.

You pass it to another ISP and it allows them to migrate you with no downtime.

I don't know the exact specifics of the tech involved at the exchange though.

jini
23-02-08, 20:59
jini, this always seems to confuse people, it's not a MAC address, in the UK an ISP can issue you a 'MAC Code' (MAC stands for something else here), which is purely a set of numbers/letters representing your connection to the local exchange i suspect.

You pass it to another ISP and it allows them to migrate you with no downtime.

I don't know the exact specifics of the tech involved at the exchange though.
MAC addresses do use letters and numbers.
Anyway it's not important if its a mac address or not, but the procedure by itself, and the fact that providers don't communicate as they should in order for the client to subscribe.
Also there are many other ways to guarantee that your customer is honoring purchased service, thru several "quarantees" or with CCs and the like. Anyway, things are not done this way here. In Greece all you do is apply for ADSL service. The company does the rest. If you are elligible for transferring, you change carriers

Doc Holliday
24-02-08, 13:40
migration authorisation code.

thats what it stands for its got sweet fa to do with networking etc. BT uses a service called CPS carrier pre select for other suppliers using its network like the adsl providers we have in the uk. CPS means it automatically selects the company using the line for access in order that the customer can be billed properly etc. The mac code is issued by each company to allow customers to move around creating competition in the market place but also allowing OFTEL or who ever it is now to keep a good eye on where people go etc and that they can go without hassle.

Necpock
25-02-08, 23:34
NEVER sign up for AOL... I spent 25 minutes to speak with an Indian call center operator in India, I couldn't hear here from the start and I told her this, and she put the phone down... what a ***************

Just spent the lats hour speaking to someone on live help (It seems text is better to understand rather then speech), told me to install my old AOL modem and try it(I was secretly hoping it was my router thats the problem) But no... still same shit now I gotta wait another year to speak to someone about it and I bet its not gonna happen...

I've noticed how there are "cancel subscriptions" all over their site and customer hot line (which is probably setting fire to the phoneline sockets, the amount of calls they must get)

If your retired, 70 and have no clue whats happening around you, and easily persuaded that things aren't what they seem, then AOL is for you! ;)

Necpock
29-02-08, 16:26
16:25:18 Vikash Rathour: The issue you are facing is mainly due to two reasons.

16:27:38 Vikash Rathour: One is the network migration. As I can see that you have not yet been migrated on the new network still getting connected to the new network. . the second reason is playing games which uses a UDP connection however Necron is a kind of peer to peer software that uses Udp connection.

16:28:30 You: but my understanding of peer 2 peer are loads of clients talking to eachother, but in neocron, the clients talk to the server

16:29:48 Vikash Rathour: Yes you are correct. There fore I mentioned that it is a type to peer to peer and not exactly.

Urm, LOEOLLELLIES???????

Doc Holliday
01-03-08, 17:14
Urm, LOEOLLELLIES???????

Before i write this i want to point out that i am not trying to cause any offense but looking at the guys name i can see he is based in a foreign call center most likely. i have to deal with people in this capacity on a regular basis through my job and it can indeed be difficult to bridge the language barrier. point in case the other day. i spoke to someone with a query i had regarding a customer. i told him the department i was calling from and explained the problem and the only answer i could get in how to proceed was that i should refer this back to my department. we went around in circles for a bit and then i gave up. if i was a customer and had that problem i would have probably given up very quickly but as an employee i cant just do that.

so from whats said it seems he doesnt have a real idea about what he is talking about or he is simply not well trained enough to give a proper response due to lack of knowledge or simply not being able to bridge the language barrier.

im sorry if this causes any offense as this is a very touchy subject and if i am over stepping the mark i will remove the post or edit it. i dont to get in shit for this basically.

edit: i see now i was right about the foreign call center. i didnt read your first post on this page. sorry.