PDA

View Full Version : How big is Neocron?

Scaramanga
19-02-08, 18:41
I'm interested in reinstalling the Neocron client and resubscribing to this joyous game. However, my computer is fucked and i need to make some space on my laptop's hard drive as the game will not install itself (as it tells me 2.6Gb is insufficient). How much space is needed with windows XP to install and run the game?

aenema
19-02-08, 18:54
Try ccleaner to free up some space ;) you might have a lot of junk in temp folders

nellus
20-02-08, 15:55
My sugestion would be to save any files you need on a different storage unit whether it be written to dvd or a seperate HD or PC then reformat the hard drive and re install windows if you have all the drivers for the laptop and windows

naimex
20-02-08, 17:11
I think I'm using 3 gb for my neocron 2 folder ...

But you do realize that windows prefers 10 - 15 % of the total size of the drive to be free space for the purpose of swap ...

That is, unless you have enough memory to just load the entire game into the ram.

aenema
20-02-08, 17:23
Run it from your Ipod :p (actually it can work but it would be somewhat choppy)

Windows only needs the amount you specified for swap though, above 1gb it's usually useless (and not 15%^^). No swap is better if you can afford it though, as said Naimex

Jodo
20-02-08, 20:47
My NC folder is a little over 2 gig NOT including screenies. You'll probably need up to a gig extra to run it also. NC has always been very resource hungry in just about every area except sound in my experience.

Mighty Max
20-02-08, 20:56
Make sure you have space free on your main driveŽ(where windows temp folder is on) for about 2gb for the temp files the installer creates. If it fails to allocate these temp files you will falsly get a message about corrupt files in the installer.

Scaramanga
23-02-08, 01:50
Thanks Mighty Max, I'll try to free up around 3gb of photoes/music.

SizZLeR
23-02-08, 14:25
Sry man but tbh i think it sounds somewhat weird to fiddle around trying to free up 1GB hd space, frankly a 2.5" harddrive of 120GB is around $70 and even if thats too expensive, theres always external USB2.0 harddrives that can be used for storage purposes.

If you're so low on hd space, u shdnt even consider spending the last GB, but rather consider uninstalling some apps and/or delete/backup whatever movies/pics etc u have.

Win XP becomes slow as hell when the harddrive is almost full, typically when your free HD space is below 50% windows tend to "slow down", even if u run a defrag, and for a defrag btw, u need preferable at least 10-15% free HD space.

So all in all, it doesnt pay to fiddle around with freeing up a GB of hd space, by the end you will have spend so much time that u could have earned enough money by playing a guitar in street to buy a new harddrive. :lol:

Bob Arctor
23-02-08, 14:49
I use a nice fat 500 gig external drive to hold most of my stuff. Run programs from your main HD, but stick all your music and films and pictures etc on the external one, means you always have plenty of space for windows to dick around with.

SizZLeR
23-02-08, 17:11
I use a nice fat 500 gig external drive to hold most of my stuff. Run programs from your main HD, but stick all your music and films and pictures etc on the external one, means you always have plenty of space for windows to dick around with.
If u r using a laptop, id agree thats prolly the best solution. :-)

Im using a desktop, and i have 4x160GB SataII (striped) to host Windows and installations like games and progs, all storage is located across 2x 320GB disks, a sata and an ata.

For mp3 and music videos i have a single 160GB sata disk and an old external 120GB for backup that runs each morning at 5am.

It works great and if one of the 4 striped systemdisks crash, i "only" have to reinstalla the OS, apps and games. :-)

Doc Holliday
24-02-08, 13:47
If u r using a laptop, id agree thats prolly the best solution. :-)

Im using a desktop, and i have 4x160GB SataII (striped) to host Windows and installations like games and progs, all storage is located across 2x 320GB disks, a sata and an ata.

For mp3 and music videos i have a single 160GB sata disk and an old external 120GB for backup that runs each morning at 5am.

It works great and if one of the 4 striped systemdisks crash, i "only" have to reinstalla the OS, apps and games. :-)

Nice set up.

slightly ot but sizzler do you know any good sites i can find on the net for a proper explanation and definition of how raid set ups work and which is which numerically. i tried wiki etc but couldnt find enough info and after i read your post just now it made me remember. i need as much info as poss so i can get to grips with it.

SizZLeR
24-02-08, 17:45
Nice set up.

slightly ot but sizzler do you know any good sites i can find on the net for a proper explanation and definition of how raid set ups work and which is which numerically. i tried wiki etc but couldnt find enough info and after i read your post just now it made me remember. i need as much info as poss so i can get to grips with it.

Yeah it wnet a bit OT, sry for that or any inconvinience it may have caused to anyone, ill try and do better next time. :D

Well the RAID setups, i found this site: http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,132877/article.html

It explains the different types of RAID, how it works and the pros and cons for each one.

The reason i have the 4 disks in stripe is to get best performance where utilization is highest, which is normally the OS, progs and games.

Storage disks doesnt have to be that fast as its typically only accessed for reading sound, pics, video or whatever into the memory, once an mp3, wav, jpg, avi is loaded, the disk utilization will be zero or at least close to zero. ;)

However some muscisians who works with samplers might prefer their samples to be on a drive with high performance for realtime playback, as there might be need for a constantly high dataflow during playback, and if the disks isnt really fast, the audio will start to stutter.

But thats a very different setup which isnt quite relevant here. :)

My goal was the make a setup that was affordable and yet delivered good performance and storage space, however the 4 disk stripe provides a major security risk, if one disk crash, all the data is lost, thats why i only use it for restoreable things, like the OS, progs and games. :)

Hope u find the article usefull.

Doc Holliday
25-02-08, 16:33
thank you very much mate its gona be a big help. sorry for diverting the thread.

Scaramanga
26-02-08, 14:33
Thanks for the advice sizzler, got a 160gb external harddrive and freed up over 50% of the comps HD. Only thing to do now is sort out payment, Paynova ftw o_O

YA5
26-02-08, 15:22
[ Edited ]

Terra is easily playable ... Mercury only if already have a Conster and a Resser and if ur hunting Char can poke himself.

Voodoo_Magic
26-02-08, 15:39
[ Edited - Advertising]
Terra is easily playable ... Mercury only if already have a Conster and a Resser and if ur hunting Char can poke himself.

Shamless advertising

One of those "Click to get ingame points for your ********* friend" type website :p

YA5
26-02-08, 18:18
Shamless advertising

One of those "Click to get ingame points for your ********* friend" type website :p
Everybody will die if she/he clicks on the link!!! WHAWWHAHWHAHWHAHWHAHWAH! :( :eek:
But there is a God named Mod who can beware the holy Community from the other exciting Websites beside this Forum!

It is just an Linkgame and NO fucking advertising. There is too less to do in NC so i have to play non cool Link Games - just think about it. (http://moritzbastei.myminicity.com/)

L0KI
26-02-08, 18:19
Mate,

I clicked the link. It was shit.

lol :lol:

SizZLeR
26-02-08, 22:56
Thanks for the advice sizzler, got a 160gb external harddrive and freed up over 50% of the comps HD. Only thing to do now is sort out payment, Paynova ftw o_O

Sounds really great mate, u managed to free a really dscent amount of space i must admit that, hope to see you neocroning soon then. :-)