PDA

View Full Version : [OT] New comp?

Dribble Joy
13-02-08, 05:28
So this piece of nibbery I am currently using is getting a bit poo, especially the gfx card which is a 5700 pile of wank.

Alas I am not exactly the richest person on the planet so though I am planning an upgrade, it's a bargain basement job.

My housemate as a gfx card, since he recently upgraded (sold the mobo and other bits), but my mobo isn't PCI-E so I can't use it. Getting a new mobo means I might as well upgrade the whole system.

Been pondering around and have come up with this CPU (http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=632503), though I'm wondering if 2x512 cashe is enough since there's some other 2x1MB ones that aren't much more.
Secondly, this mobo (http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=564802).

I'm still not sure about RAM though, but it can't be 1066.

What do you lot reckon?

MrParker
13-02-08, 08:01
That should work just fine.
2gb DDR800mhz is cheap around my parts these days. Don't know about there.

Okran
13-02-08, 10:21
If you haven't already, you must check the PSU requirements on the GFX card and check your current PSU. Look for the AMPS rating on the +12v rail. Lets hope you won't need to replace the PSU as well.

Geniusjones
13-02-08, 17:46
You're okay with that. I assume because you picked AMD that price is the #1 factor so you will be ok. You're dead right going to PCI-E, just make sure you get something that will support 1066 or better (for the future) in RAM and I personally would go for the higher 1MB cache, but I honestly don't think it'll be a huge deal. What video card is your roommate's?

jonnyboy21
13-02-08, 18:52
An Intel shows Neocron's *mindblowing* graphics fine! :lol:

naimex
13-02-08, 19:00
for newer graphics cards you might want to remember they require 2 extra power connectors instead of just 1.

and some of them are 8 pin instead of 6 pin.

and some graphics cards require atleast a 800 - 1000 w psu, same with some motherboards.

boy did I feel small when the 800 w power supply arrived and I only had 1 extra 8 pin power connector, and not enough w, had to order a 1000 w with 2 or 4 extra 8 pins and 2 or 4 extra 6 pin connectors, just to power up the beast.