PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Post Apoc MMO

Riddle
08-02-08, 16:47
A unique post-apocalyptic setting where the cloned remnants of mankind battle to survive and rebuild. Yet while humanity may have evolved, human nature remains as treacherous as ever…

- Highly customizable characters with over 100 different skills, abilities, and tactics. No artificial "class" restrictions get in the way of making the character you want.

- Fast-paced action combat featuring dynamic targeting, customizable power armor, huge mechanized exoskeletons, and hundreds of high-tech weapons.

- Sophisticated Player versus Player (PvP) mechanics that let you fight for the established order, join the revolutionary underground, or carve your own bloody path as an independent criminal.

- Territorial conquest and defense that matters. In your domain, you create your own rules – or let anarchy reign.

- Character progression that keeps you advancing in your career even when you’re not logged in.

- An advanced market-based economy with in-game supply and demand based on player activities.

- Deep crafting mechanics that let you design and manufacture uniqueitems from customizable blueprints and raw resources.

Sound familiar? Well it could be a reality by 2009.

Matanius
08-02-08, 17:00
Link please?

nabbl
08-02-08, 17:37
links to other games are not allowed...

just google for one of the sentences.

solling
08-02-08, 17:50
sounds really interesting

MoonDragn
08-02-08, 17:58
I saw some screenshots and read about the game a little. It really looks a little like Tabula Rasa. Unfortunately Tabula Rasa didn't really live up to its hype. Hopefully this new game will be better than that one.

Jest
08-02-08, 19:19
Looks nice, but I haven't seen a single dystopian MMO that has over promised and under delivered. But it definitely has potential.

JC_Denton2
08-02-08, 20:02

just google for one of the sentences.

Are you serious? That sounds ludicrous to me, why not?

flib
08-02-08, 21:04
Wtf?

Competition is good for a game, not bad.

Are you serious? That sounds ludicrous to me, why not?
I'll test this:

The new game is Earthrise (http://www.play-earthrise.com/)

Riddle
08-02-08, 21:58
Posting links can be considered advertising hence i didn't post a link.

Jest your right. I have seen a few too, including the ill fated Conflict Omega which promised everything and then dissapeared.

Just pointing out that the above resembles NC in several ways but with improvements we would all love for this game!!

As a Tradeskiller i find this intriguing -

Deep crafting mechanics that let you design and manufacture unique items from customizable blueprints

the comment from the last interview.

First and foremost, the biggest change from other MMOs is the shift of most item customization authority from the player who owns it to the designer and manufacturer who creates it. This small but important change transforms crafters from nameless laborers who are rarely rewarded to truly, powerful, influential and sought after designers as long as they can provide truly unique items with the exact combination of qualities and enhancements that would help players in certain situations. To further make designers unique, item designs will provide only temporary market advantage, so designers will always have to compete among each other, find new enhancements and experiment with new combinations to support their product lines. No matter how far fetched a direct comparison might be, we want to create a virtual market that rewards and motivates crafters in the same way such as creation-centric virtual worlds like Second Life and There.

JC_Denton2
08-02-08, 22:48
It looks cool, but I'm not a fan of the "far out" sci-fi stuff, the reason I like Neocron so much is that it's very gritty and has a nice mixture of old and new technology using Cyberpunk themes.

Asurmen Spec Op
08-02-08, 23:39
If its not FPS I cry and then move on :(
NC community claiming a game they haven't played will be 'ideal' and kick neocrons ass ++;

Lula Lovelips
09-02-08, 00:18
It looks pretty, will be!

Riddle
09-02-08, 00:37
If its not FPS I cry and then move on :(
NC community claiming a game they haven't played will be 'ideal' and kick neocrons ass ++;

Assman :) it is meant to be FPS and it's got to be better than that pile of shite FOM you went off to 8|

Asurmen Spec Op
09-02-08, 01:02
Assman :) it is meant to be FPS and it's got to be better than that pile of shite FOM you went off to 8|
Im just saying, how many times have we heard $title will be $percentage better than $insultingAdjective Neocron.

CMaster
09-02-08, 01:08
market-based economy

First and foremost, the biggest change from other MMOs is the shift of most item customization authority from the player who owns it to the designer and manufacturer who creates it. This small but important change transforms crafters from nameless laborers who are rarely rewarded to truly, powerful, influential and sought after designers as long as they can provide truly unique items with the exact combination of qualities and enhancements that would help players in certain situations. To further make designers unique, item designs will provide only temporary market advantage, so designers will always have to compete among each other, find new enhancements and experiment with new combinations to support their product lines. No matter how far fetched a direct comparison might be, we want to create a virtual market that rewards and motivates crafters in the same way such as creation-centric virtual worlds like Second Life and There.

Markets don't work like that!
Tradeskillers who sit around making weapons different to how the players want will quickly find that their weapons don't see very well. This is what market economics is - the demander gets a damn good say in what the product is like. And if there is some way of individual skillers making weapons that are percptibally better in some way than the others, then you can be damn sure that quickly everyone will be doing it. This isn't to say that they might now have a good tradeskilling system - god knows its hard to be worse than what most current MMOs have - but the left hand needs to pay more attention to the right here.

Apocalypsox
09-02-08, 02:19
The original Twilight War concept.

GOD DAMNIT RIDDLE! PM APOC LINK, NOW! GIANT MECHANIZED FUCKING EXOSUITS, BITCHES!

(aka my fucking combat mechs i was promised, KK)

Also, this game needs the customization equivelant of Borderlands. Over half a million weapon combinations, or more considering its an MMO.

Dribble Joy
09-02-08, 03:40
The 'unique' tradeskilling might be fun and interesting at first, but it will get boring fast when people find out the optimal way of doing things. A range of pre-defined balanced weapons while on the surface seems inflexible and standardised, actually creates greater variation.

Also, unless it's post-apoc cyberpunk, I won't be there.

Apocalypsox
09-02-08, 05:03
Are you kidding me, Drib? Dont you like the idea of cruising the wastes on your custom made bike with a custom made laser sniper rifle strapped to your back and your platinum plated revolvers at your side? :lol:
Just dont run into my Exosuit.

But anyways, i dont think there really will be a perfect way to build everything. Sure, you can go for balance and balance all of the traits of the weapon, but you can always specialize. Range, Accuracy, Firepower, Rate of fire, etc. And then all of your addons, being your scopes, lazerpointers, silencers, grips, grenade launchers, flares, bipods, and anything else you can think of bolting onto your rifle (bayonets, anyone?)

Dribble Joy
09-02-08, 05:58
Everyone will still end up with the same weapon though, ride the same vehicle, etc. Only a minority will go with something that they 'like', just like hardly anyone uses an APU, Judge or RoG PE in NC atm.

MrWeedster
09-02-08, 13:37
The specs look good, but as i saw the screens i have to say that i dont like it.

It looks to fooking kiddy-style. No fucked up rusty style like NC - no way.

They've should taken the STALKER Theme - old rusty russian style - the perfect one for cyberpunk/end time i think.

greetz

L0KI
09-02-08, 15:07
Looks shit hot.

Riddle
09-02-08, 23:09
The original Twilight War concept.

GOD DAMNIT RIDDLE! PM APOC LINK, NOW! GIANT MECHANIZED FUCKING EXOSUITS, BITCHES!

(aka my fucking combat mechs i was promised, KK)

Also, this game needs the customization equivelant of Borderlands. Over half a million weapon combinations, or more considering its an MMO.
I knew the mechs would make you happy man :)

Q: According to the information revealed about XXXX, there will be mechanized exosuits in the game. Do you mean the forty-foot tall vehicles that we see in popular cartoons and TV shows? Or is this a smaller sort of exosuit?

A: The mechanized exoskeletons in XXXX will be the smaller brethren of the anime-inspired mecha, about 10 feet in size. Exoskeletons will be similar to vehicles in many ways, but will allow for limited, specialized combat abilities. We will publish concept art of the exosuits very soon on our official web site.

Apocalypsox
09-02-08, 23:16
I knew the mechs would make you happy man :)

=/ that doesnt count as giving me a link. Stop teasing me or ill have to raid your store :p

Asurmen Spec Op
10-02-08, 20:46
=/ that doesnt count as giving me a link. Stop teasing me or ill have to raid your store :p
Calm down Apoc, you'll never get them anyways.

Apocalypsox
10-02-08, 21:04
Calm down Apoc, you'll never get them anyways.

=/ Im gonna drive down there and run you over, assman :mad:

i will get my mechs eventually. One way or another.

It actually doesnt look too bad, but i want to see the concept art for the Exosuits. That will determine whether or not i play. Maybe. If they have a Harley or armored 16 wheelers, ill play too :D

-Crafting is divided in two separate processes. The first process, Design, allows players to create special product enhancements to include in their recipes, which are then implemented into the final crafted item. Creating a new design requires player skill and patience. The second process, Manufacturing, is the process of using a recipe with the proper factory conditions to produce a final item from raw or processed components, and will be straightforward enough to allow for mass production.

Sounds kind of like NC, but you get to play with the Blueprint more.

-Yes. Players will have their own vehicles – customizable personal hovercraft.

Not sure if i like that answer, i want something with wheels and some armor. Alot harder to take down than a hovercraft. Cant throw a fucking rock in its engine.

-Robotic companions will be implemented in the game that aid the player in inventory management, combat support or personal assistance. Robot controllers who master the skill of controlling and programming their robots will be able to customize their robotic companion’s behavior to fit their adventuring style.

Definetly like this. Having a robot follow you around carrying things for you, or with a sniper rifle mounted on its shoulder for combat support would be ideal. Also, be able to control where he is so you can position him...like on a mountain or something.

-In addition to their skills and abilities gained from adventuring, battling, and crafting, characters can take a "career" that will provide them with cash and other perks. Characters will advance in their career whenever they are offline. You can think of your character's career as their "day job": It's how they make money when they aren't killing mutants or battling in the Outer Territories or experimenting with lost technology. Some of the careers in the game include Holo Artist, Electro Sampler and Zero-T operator

Kind of like this too. This way you never get so poor you cant even afford ammo :cool: Ive done that a few times.

Sharper Blade
11-02-08, 02:23
is this available for dl?

Apocalypsox
11-02-08, 03:40
is this available for dl?

its not even out yet -.- id be surprised if it was in beta.

trigger hurt
12-02-08, 05:27
that doesn't sound familiar at all.

I bet they're the first to do it, and they'll be the first to implement FPS combat in an MMO too.

Apocalypsox
12-02-08, 08:13
If they actually follow through, they will make a metric fuckton of cash and have an instant hit.

CMaster
12-02-08, 11:48
I bet they're the first to do it, and they'll be the first to implement FPS combat in an MMO too.

Well to be fair, Neocron doesn't have proper FPS combat, and it can't decide if it is cyberpunk or post-apoc, instead ending up in some messy gap between the two.

Geniusjones
12-02-08, 20:07
that doesn't sound familiar at all.

Are you forgetting about Huxley I suppose?

trigger hurt
17-02-08, 03:51
Are you forgetting about Huxley I suppose?

I was being sarcastic.

Huxley looks fine. I was really hopeful about Twilight War: After the Fall. I waited with bated breath for Face of Mankind. Tabula Rasa was promising.

Sadly, none of these seems to have the atmosphere that Neocron had.

Well to be fair, Neocron doesn't have proper FPS combat, and it can't decide if it is cyberpunk or post-apoc, instead ending up in some messy gap between the two.

Neocron was always supposed to be a post-apoc cyberpunk MMO. The blurring of the lines is nothing new. It's supposed to be that way.

The problem is that Neocron isn't enough of either to be convincing. It's just another sci-fi-fantasy MMO. Anarchy Online has a mixture of sci-fi and fantasy as well as some cyber-punk elements.

If they actually follow through, they will make a metric fuckton of cash and have an instant hit.

I've added it to my bookmarks for games to watch. We shall see what happens.

xavulos
18-02-08, 10:04
"XXXX is being developed by Masthead Studios for a planned 2009 launch"

Just thought i'd let you know.

bounty
18-02-08, 17:30
The main takeaway here is that eventually, someone will see all the huge potential that we, the fans of Neocron, see and put the proper time, money, and dedication into this easy to follow formula for a great MMO experience. Eventually, someone is going to capitalize huge on the groundwork that KK has laid out. Hopefully NC3 gets here before that and they can capitalize on their own idea.