PDA

View Full Version : Multicore CPUs

naimex
26-01-08, 12:29
Hi, yesterday me and some others ingame had a little chat about computers.

And we came to the conclusion that the game might not be able to handle multiple cores.

I'm on my quad machine now, and the game runs:

C1: 80 %
C2: 0 - 10 %
C3: 0 - 20 %
C4: 10 - 40 %

I'd like to know how it divides itself on those of you with dual or quad cores please.

So I can get an overview over if it can use multiple cores to some extent, or if it cant use it at all.

Based on my own numbers, I would say it can use it to a very small extent, since it seems to change the % on the C4 drastically each time it loads a new area with lots of people.

Voodoo_Magic
26-01-08, 13:29
Core2Duo 2.4ghz 2mb l2 cache --

Core1: 40% Average
Core2: 40% Average
Ram..

Know ram is annoying, because even with 2gb spare ram, out of 4gb, nc goes... wooo wait, 50% ram usage, "Warning not enough ram, continue:"

2gb not enough eh... Sorry lemme buy some more :S

DrRisk
26-01-08, 13:58
i just set nc to 1 cpu core. i get no problems

Brammers
26-01-08, 15:17
Not many games are coded or optimised for multi-threading. The majority of older games are all single-thread coded, although games are now starting to take advantage of multi-cores now.

In the case of Neocron, it doesn't use more than one core. It also locks itself to one core, as there were issues running NC on AMD multi-cores CPU's if you didn't have the AMD cpu software installed.

Seraphin[69]
27-01-08, 10:03
It's better to run NC on 1 core only and dedicate the 2nd one to your video footage

flib
27-01-08, 19:57
I just set it to use one core; if it uses more than one, it gets confused and gets all jumpy.

jini
28-01-08, 08:25
I am experiencing jumpy performance myself. How do you assign one cpu???

Seraphin[69]
28-01-08, 09:07
Start NC, log in, and then CTRL+ALT+SUPPR switch to 1 CPU only

You can also use a launcher

nellus
28-01-08, 11:10
If you have an AMD core duo processor use the utility AMD Dual-Core Optimizer You can find it at the AMD website.

Heres what it says it does for those of you that understand

"The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp Counter (TSC) is incremented. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core processor systems, by periodically adjusting the core time-stamp-counters, so that they are synchronized."
When i swapped to a core duo this solved all my NC problems and has worked for 2 of my friends aswell.

jini
28-01-08, 11:34
This is EXACTLY my problem, making me rebooting every once in a while. Ill try it right away

SnowCrash
28-01-08, 14:18
Neocron and Neocron 2 are not designed to support multi-core cpus. If you encounter any problems while running on multi-core you should switch back to single-core mode.

Voodoo_Magic
28-01-08, 14:41
Because when AMD ran dual core's at first with Neocron.

You would experience random speed like hacks, in lack of a better way to describe it.

Long time ago, clan mate bought amd dual core when they first released. Inside NC he would randomly spee dupe a few hundred percent...

He didnt know how to stop it, was annoying as well as usefull lol, in pvp it would make him run to fast to control, and on there screen he would freeze :)

running in wastelands he loved..
soon as he finished syncing he could zone into the next zone lol

jini
28-01-08, 16:08
Yes, but this is not true. It still takes the usual time because its only client side the problem, and client waits for server to refresh. It was VERY annoying (I hope it will stop) and it forcing me to reboot once every 2 hours or something. Because it looked like a random issue, I couldn't do anything else than bear it. At least now I have two ways of combating it. It must be a AMD issue, since i run an Intel machine in parallel and its fine, no timing syncs, but then It's an imac, and an Imac is by default a better computer :p.

Good work AMD... I wish Intel to buy them:p

CMaster
28-01-08, 16:47

Would never be allowed, and would do none of us any good should it happen.
Not really sure what problem you're having, nothing overly wrong with my core2duo machine here except the login - absolute black screen. Only way out is to either turn off the power, or use task manager on a second monitor (have tried using TM blind with only one monitor, doesn't work at all - is a very odd bug)

unreal
29-01-08, 00:18
Only way out is to either turn off the power, or use task manager on a second monitor (have tried using TM blind with only one monitor, doesn't work at all - is a very odd bug)Without going so far as to writing your own application, you could pick a quicker but less tidy option. The Neocron client executable is named Client.exe, so you could run 'tskill client' (or 'tskill client.exe', although both equate to the same thing, and case doesn't matter) to kill the process.

So with that in mind, you could create a new batch file (just a plaintext file containing statements, saved with a .bat extension) to execute the above and then create a shortcut to that file. From there, open the newly created shortcuts Properties window, and assign a shortcut key. I always decided upon Ctrl + Alt + ` because it's least likely to interfere with other application shortcuts, plus the keys are close together.

jini
29-01-08, 08:36
Would never be allowed, and would do none of us any good should it happen.
Not really sure what problem you're having, nothing overly wrong with my core2duo machine here except the login - absolute black screen. Only way out is to either turn off the power, or use task manager on a second monitor (have tried using TM blind with only one monitor, doesn't work at all - is a very odd bug)
Maybe you have already install this little app by chance C.
If you don't do then read Nellus' quoting AMD. Some weird timing problem makes so you run 10x faster, bumping in walls trees everything :p. You can cross entire sectors in 5 secs, or speed up researching or construction time 10x, but only in your client (counter stops in the end and stays there waiting for the actual signal from the server)
Endless Competition, lack of standards, short/no betatesting of rushed products to market, crates this kind of errors. Needless to say which manufacturer prevents this from happening right ?

Voodoo_Magic
29-01-08, 10:25
Yes, but this is not true. It still takes the usual time because its only client side the problem, and client waits for server to refresh. It was VERY annoying (I hope it will stop) and it forcing me to reboot once every 2 hours or something. Because it looked like a random issue, I couldn't do anything else than bear it. At least now I have two ways of combating it. It must be a AMD issue, since i run an Intel machine in parallel and its fine, no timing syncs, but then It's an imac, and an Imac is by default a better computer :p.

No, and why repeat my post after lol.

With this bug, which is fixed...

It was also server side when you zoned in wastlands, running at stupid speeds