PDA

View Full Version : [ot] Ps3

Foxtrot
13-01-08, 00:15
While I wait for a reply from customer support, I am bored and in need of some entertainment. So I thinks I should take this extra money I have left over from student loans, and invest in a PS3.

So please tells me all I need to know about this system.

All I knows is it has blu-ray capabilities, and from what I saw at bestbuy, amazingly mind blowing.

I also heards the online capabilities are free unlike xbox live.

Should I get the 40gb one or the 80gb one?
Do I need to get anything to play online?
Can it play PS2 and PSX games?
What PS3 game should I get where I could enjoy it with my friends?

nobby
13-01-08, 00:26
Just DON'T get one yet !

There's fuck all game's avalaible, you're best bet is to get an xbox 360 tbh

PS3 online, not many peeps have bought a mic, th online service itself is nothing special...

Just dont get one until GOOD games arrive like MGS4

Foxtrot
13-01-08, 00:28
Grrr but its so shiny....

nobby
13-01-08, 00:34
Comeon mate

save your money or buy a 360 !

On the 360, ALL games have voice support, Leader Boards etc...

There's also the "xbox live Arcade" where you download all ur classics like Mortal Kombat 3 And streetFighter, get to play them all online, WITH voice support AND ranked leader boards.

PS3 Doesn't other me any fun like that... I havn't played it for 6 months and with good reason why.

Foxtrot
13-01-08, 00:36
I dunnos duude, I'm gonna goes buy it now with drake's fortune, assassin's creed, and CoD4. Should be fun.

nobby
13-01-08, 00:56
Don't cry to me afterwards

Tratos
13-01-08, 01:11
Why oh why didn't you listen to nobby?

...never thought i'd type that :p (Just kidding ;))

In all seriousness, the only justification for the PS3 at the moment is if you want a decent blu-ray player that just so happens to be a reasonable media centre.

Foxtrot
13-01-08, 02:10
Fixed. Yay PS3.... I got CoD4.

Tratos
13-01-08, 02:18
Stick a wire in it - shazzam?

I'm assuming you have the 40gig model (60s being very hard to come by these days) in which you dont get an Ethernet cable. Just hook it up to your router and it should be good to go provided you have no MAC address filtering or wired connection protection.

They're generally good at just doing their own thing from there.

Foxtrot
13-01-08, 02:19
No I got the 80gb one so I can play my PS2 and PSX games. The problem was simple. I needed to plug the wire in while the system is off.

Glok
13-01-08, 02:25
LOL you wondered whether to get a PS3 and less than 2 hours later you got one, had a problem, and fixed it.

Tratos
13-01-08, 02:25
Ah, American system - should have gathered that from you getting it from a store after midnight my time really :p

Sony have well shafted the UK in terms of the PS3, lack of ps2 chips and now complete lack of emulation software on the machine is just ridiculous.

Voodoo_Magic
13-01-08, 02:27
Wasnt PS3 the one where they convert the price from $ to Euro, then when it came to euro they just did

1Euro = 1GBP? +VAT!

Apocalypsox
13-01-08, 03:19
Dont forget Armored Core 4 m8, fucking sexy game.

I think ill buy a PS3 too. Same price as a premium 360 now (Which i have two of, Thanks microfuck)

Hope it gets some good games soon though.

jini
13-01-08, 08:47
LOL you wondered whether to get a PS3 and less than 2 hours later you got one, had a problem, and fixed it.
yea i just wanted to say that too :p
He asks, he gets negative reviews, he rushes to buy :p
Modern consumer has changed. Consumerism is now more of a drug than a necessity :(

On the aspect of blu ray, Sony itself has introduced a player for less than 500euros, however there are not many titles yet, even though this will change soon. Besisdes, after Warner's addition in the blu ray front, HD stands no chance (how would it? Apple chose it :p) http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/05/technology/05disc.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin

However the PS3 is a very good blu ray player, even if he needs some special cables I think to get this signal to a tv, but for 150euros he also buys a nice game console. It's not bad...

Foxtrot
13-01-08, 18:42
How is it a drug? Modern consumerism....

Obsidian X
13-01-08, 21:21
How does is work in the USA then? Over here as I understand, here in the UK we only have 60 and 40GB models...the 60 was the original and considered to be the premium one, has a few more bells and whistles (wireless, SD card slots etc) and uses software emulation to play PS2 games. The former model doesn't have the SD, wireless or any PS2 compatability.

I also thought the US 80GB models were more or less the same as our 60 except for the obvious HD size difference, and that the US models use the Emotion PS2 chip, using real hardware emulation for PS2 games. Am I right?

I have a 60Gb one, I'm led to believe they've been discontinued over here to keep the costs down, anyone know about this?

nobby
14-01-08, 03:41
How is it a drug? Modern consumerism....

You already proved it to me...

I give it 2 months before you've stopped playing it, and then making a " [ot] xbox360" thread...

Foxtrot
14-01-08, 05:25
No, I'm going to buy a LCD flat panel HD tv next to compliment my shiny PS3.

Apocalypsox
14-01-08, 06:03
Ohh...maybe i need to buy a PS3 to finally persuade myself into that huge 40' plasma flatscreen.

ashley watts
14-01-08, 15:30
I got a ps3, you wont be dissapointed, think of it as most blu-ray players are 200-300 quid ?, here you got a top of the range console, music player, video player, internet ? There CAN'T be anything bad with it, spesh with all the sexy games coming soon =]

Lula Lovelips
14-01-08, 15:43
Someone bought me one last xmas, made me really happy, the quality of the ps3 is unequalled at the moment!

L0KI
14-01-08, 16:30
My brother has both the PS3 and the XBOX 360.

The PS3 (regardless of games) takes the piss out of the 360.

The best games (single player) currently on the PS3, are:

- Drake's fortune (Excellent game)
- Assasin's Creed (Looks stunning, but not that hard to complete)
- Burnout (coming soon, but the online demo is truly amazing)
- Call of Duty 4 Looks absolutely stunning, and plays amazingly well. Hard in places!

PS3 is next gen technology, whereas, the 360 is not.

boreal
15-01-08, 22:11
While I wait for a reply from customer support, I am bored and in need of some entertainment. So I thinks I should take this extra money I have left over from student loans, and invest in a PS3.

So please tells me all I need to know about this system.

All I knows is it has blu-ray capabilities, and from what I saw at bestbuy, amazingly mind blowing.

I also heards the online capabilities are free unlike xbox live.

Should I get the 40gb one or the 80gb one?
Do I need to get anything to play online?
Can it play PS2 and PSX games?
What PS3 game should I get where I could enjoy it with my friends?

k, depend what you wanna do.

the 20 and 60 gig have FULL backyard whit all ps2 game

the 80 one have 80% backyard whit ps2 game

the rest DOESN'T have the ps2 backyard compatibility

now. whit the last patch it was freacking sweet... i own one (the 80 Gig) and have never been so much happy...

now eveyone know it the WAR between WII, 360 and the PS3.

whit all new game i have see (unreal tounament 3, rachet, jeriko (a flop) and other) the ps3 now have the gut to stand in face of each consold !!!!

in my opinion. the PS3 is CLEARLY a good thing to buy