PDA

View Full Version : Item GFX - Evolution

Mighty Max
09-01-08, 21:06
Over four years ago i started a small tool, which allowed Neocron players to create and use own icons for items for Neocron. Items which shared the same icon could be seperated and made distinctable on the first few (i.e. Recycle/Salvage Tools, Weapon Mods, etc)

Some users created some images which are still used within Neocron. Maarten "Eagle" Tops's graphics for psi-modules and bone implants can still be found ingame since nc1 patch #163

With a post from ake`cj in the german whishes for neocron thread he remembered me of that little tool, but since 3rd party software has to have an OK from KK to follow the RoC i didn't yet start.

Well ... i got this go now and would like to present you the first very early teaser ... yes, i am a lousy at gfx, but probably the community can work creative together again and get Neocron forward with joined forces.

Coming soon ....
http://mightymax.org/ItemGFX_Evolution.PNG
( http://mightymax.org/ItemGFX_Evolution.PNG )

(*) To prevent misunderstandings: The software is a third party product and not associated with ReaKKtor. The permission is needed to not breach §17 of the RoC.

Other features the original ItemGFX had will not be reimplemented.

Jodo
10-01-08, 00:34
Isn't it still against the RoC though and aren't you putting yourself in line for a slap on the wrist/warning by posting that picture here?

Mighty Max
10-01-08, 00:53
That's why i asked for and waited until the permission to start on the development was granted.

Otherwise i would have highly risked my reputation as well as my accounts, which i am not willing to risk.

Apocalypsox
10-01-08, 01:02
Looks good, will definetly be very handy for telling which nanite types are which/ammo/everything else for that fact. Hell, drones too.

Brammers
10-01-08, 01:04
And also stealth tools and hack tools.

Glad to see you can re-develop the Item GFX Mighty Max again! ;)

aKe`cj
10-01-08, 01:17
in progress:

complete line of drones
woc disc
woc I/II cloaks
stealth & obli
ammo-types (FIR, POR..etc)

done:

woc I/II armor
CAG's
grease/lube types
psi-boosters (1,2,3)

landofcake
10-01-08, 10:08
Is there a post in the German side of the forums with details of the work on som e new item images ?

I can't speak German, but i'd just like to see the pictures 8)

SnowCrash
10-01-08, 11:35
MightyMax has the permission to develop and publish this tool on his own responsibility. We do not grant any warranty or support regarding the usage of this tool.

CMaster
10-01-08, 15:11
MightyMax has the permission to develop and publish this tool on his own responsibility. We do not grant any warranty or support regarding the usage of this tool.

Are we allowed to use it to modify the graphics files though?

As an aside, is a tool really necessary, or couldn't we just stick replacement graphics in the appropriate folders? However, being able to tell things apart at a glance would be very useful. Somebody want to do some stealth-tool graphics?

Mighty Max
10-01-08, 15:21
Are we allowed to use it to modify the graphics files though?

As an aside, is a tool really necessary, or couldn't we just stick replacement graphics in the appropriate folders? However, being able to tell things apart at a glance would be very useful. Somebody want to do some stealth-tool graphics?

The graphic files remain intact and unmodified. New ones will be added.
The "Do not modify files" rule remains. The new Item GFX follows this rule.

If you'd just change the image files to contain different images, every item that this image uses would get the changes. But the idea is to allow distinction of items that share the same image until now with new icons.

Like the drones: If you'd change one the drone image, all drones of this family would still look alike. To allow an individual icon for every Item is the target of Item GFX.

CMaster
10-01-08, 15:28
The graphic files remain intact and unmodified. New ones will be added.
The "Do not modify files" rule remains. The new Item GFX follows this rule.

If you'd just change the image files to contain different images, every item that this image uses would get the changes. But the idea is to allow distinction of items that share the same image until now with new icons.

Like the drones: If you'd change one the drone image, all drones of this family would still look alike. To allow an individual icon for every Item is the target of Item GFX.

I'm confused as to how this even works then.
And technically, I'm sure KK would argue that placing new files in the appropriate directories, while leaving the .paks untouched still breaks the RoC.

Edit: Not to say that this doesn't sound pretty good. It does.

Mighty Max
10-01-08, 16:00
I'm sure KK would argue that placing new files in the appropriate directories, while leaving the .paks untouched still breaks the RoC.

Well it doesn't. It are completely new files, and could lie anywhere at the same drive. They do not overload (which i also would name modification) any existing Neocron-file. For comfort and to keep files grouped by their purpose, i chosed to locate them in gfx/ItemGFX.

I can understand that you are curious about how it works. Please accept that i can not share more detailed info about the actual process to other users. I have explained the method to KK and grant them access to the sourcecode at any time.

LeFae
10-01-08, 16:23
Okey just making sure, but this new version of item will be released in the future for public consumption?

I remember the earlier version of this tool some time ago, which did more or less the same thing, in the way of changing the icons by pointing to files in a different directory. Which I had enjoyed using but which sadly did not receive support after NeoCron 1. I am looking forward to the use of the next version so I can get to work creating my own fancy graphics to help distinguish the many drones I have. And just to make my NeoCron a more pleasant experience hehe.

Perhaps I'd spoken to you about it years ago over email? Not quite sure but I had to someone.

Either way I am extremely looking forward to having this delightful toy in my possession once again :)

Mighty Max
10-01-08, 16:38
Yes it is.

The old version was discontinued (already somewhere within Neocron 1) for good. The method is a complete new one and not compareable to the old, which was - in review - inherent insecure. But well back in the time it started in NC1 there wasn't even a filecheck and I was a wee bit naive ;)

BaDDaSS
10-01-08, 16:49
I miss that tool, was very useful. GJ MightyMax =]

I remember the unofficial xmas patch, that was fun.

LeFae
10-01-08, 18:09
Well if you need a beta tester let me know. I am a decent documenter of bugs (could even provide some of my past bug documents from other betas, or examples of) Since I still have the bug report emails sitting around somewhere.

Really looking forward to the new toy, keep up the EXCELLENT work!
-LeFae

Also not completely related to this but withing the same subject, but may I message you? I have a couple of questions :s

Mighty Max
10-01-08, 18:34
but may I message you? I have a couple of questions :s

Sure, go ahead.

Mighty Max
10-01-08, 20:09
For everyone who wants to start already to be ready when the tool is ready, here a little helping hand.

The IGFX_composer (http://mightymax.org/ItemGFX_composer.zip) will collect and create the data needed as image input for the Item GFX later from a file you created using Photo/Imageediting Programs like Gimp,Photoshop etc.
It is a comand line tool:

Syntax:
IGFX_composer.exe -i <inputfile> -o <output> -w <width> -h <height>

InputFile is the name of the imagefile to insert
Output the basename of all files spit out by the tool (<output>##.bmp, <output>##a.bmp und <output>##.map)
Width, Height the dimension of the icons in fields (Each field is 32x32 Pixel and represents the inventory fields)

The input file format can be any FreeImage 3.9.3 readable, it's recommented to use formats which use an alpha channel.

BMP files [reading, writing]
Dr. Halo files [reading] (grayscale)
DDS files [reading]
EXR files [reading, writing]
Raw Fax G3 files [reading]
GIF files [reading, writing]
HDR files [reading, writing]
ICO files [reading, writing]
IFF files [reading]
JNG files [reading]
JPEG/JIF files [reading, writing]
JPEG-2000 File Format [reading, writing]
JPEG-2000 codestream [reading, writing]
KOALA files [reading]
Kodak PhotoCD files [reading]
MNG files [reading]
PCX files [reading]
PBM files [reading, writing]
PGM files [reading, writing]
PNG files [reading, writing]
PPM files [reading, writing]
PhotoShop files [reading]
Sun RAS files [reading]
SGI files [reading]
TARGA files [reading, writing]
TIFF files [reading, writing]
WBMP files [reading, writing]
XBM files [reading]
XPM files [reading, writing]

I'm curious what you will come up with :D

Xaru
12-01-08, 19:09
Oh my god, Mighty. I loved your tool. Especially because you could run LUA scripts and connect to databases and could log cabinet inventories.

Are you going to give us that features back? (I just posted a comment about your tool a minute ago in the brainport thread)

EDIT:
I just had to put this in my post. Remembering the good old ItemGFX:

So true! I really, really, really miss MightyMaxes ItemGFX.
I had an organization tool, for the clan, where you could semiautomaticaly could log your cabinets. And then you coud search for any item you needed and it would tell you in which appartment in which cabinet at which position you had it including stats (great for sellers). It even showed the name of the clanmate, who had it, if you didnt.

I had new Graphics for the stealth tool, so i wouldnt accidentally grab my hacktool instead. And my techparts looked better, and i heard a pling sound, everytime i opened a mob, and a techpart was in it. What a joy.

I had a communication tool for the clan, where everyone could leave messages, and when you logged on, you would get a notification, that a new clan message had arrived. And you didnt need a com for that.

I had a barter tool, where i could start customer sessions, and the my sells and buys would be added up automatically and it would calculate the total including my bartering fee for me.

I had a tool, where i could lookup components, which where needed to build any weapon or rare item in the game. No need or stupid paper lists.

I had a tool, where i could check, when and where a certain clanmember has last been seen.

And thats just the most important things tom me. There where many more ideas. What a shame, that that has been taken away from us. Actually, the scripting possibility was one of the greatest things that have ever happened to NC. And i still cant make myself really come back at the moment, because i have tasted what could be and now i am spoiled.

Regards
Xaru

I so miss this:
http://www.cygatex.de/cabinetlogger.gif

Mighty Max
13-01-08, 11:46
Those features will not be included

Xaru
13-01-08, 11:53
Those features will not be included

Oh ... well ... not even the slightest chance??

... leaves to go crying.

trigger hurt
13-01-08, 17:56
Oh ... well ... not even the slightest chance??

... leaves to go crying.

I remember this tool. Good to see it being redeveloped. Shame you won't be implementing the tech parts database. That was one of the best parts.

Riddle
15-01-08, 15:04
The possibilities are endless :cool: This looks a very handy tool, keep up the good work!

danmalone
15-01-08, 16:48
omg, never seen anything like this b4, it looks awesome. If sumthing like this was implemented i would say 'to hell with pvp' ima sit in p1 thinking of random stuff to search for :angel:

Jaeon
15-01-08, 18:14
Perhaps one way to bring more players in the game is to let people develop "plugin" software that can add to the depth of the game?

This search tool makes me drool tbh. Very useful, would make gameplay alot more pleasant, more effective, and would avoid the "oh crap i had this implant i just bought, already in a lost cabinet."

Would rock a mil.

Regarding post below - Too bad :( Ur work is great nonetheless, keep it up!

Mighty Max
15-01-08, 18:29
As said, those features will NOT be included.
I have no permission for that and tbh i don't want to play young lady Pandora.

You'll be able to see what ItemGFX offers for you soon.
It is currently in testing and has it's first bugs and problems solved.

Riddle
29-01-08, 15:08
Hows this going?

Mighty Max
29-01-08, 15:15
Progressing. :)

There are a lot of things to check and care about. And this is taking up time, while it steps forward without much problems yet.
I want to make it usefull from the first release on, this includes a lot of testing to ensure that ItemGFX will not be the cause of client problems and work for as many ppl as possible.
And well nice gfx ;)

Riddle
29-01-08, 16:10
Progressing. :)

There are a lot of things to check and care about. And this is taking up time, while it steps forward without much problems yet.
I want to make it usefull from the first release on, this includes a lot of testing to ensure that ItemGFX will not be the cause of client problems and work for as many ppl as possible.
And well nice gfx ;):angel:

Thanks for the update! and your hard work so far. Looking forward to this add on

Mighty Max
21-03-08, 10:52
Ok, on first testround, noone cried, screamed or hung himself. That might be a sign that the remaining issues are not too heavy weights, so i am posting it here now too.

It is still a preview and not yet complete, but it is useable.

The Bugtracker (http://bugtracker.ultimate-networx.net/my_view_page.php) allways cheers for feeding.

Have fun with the first public preview (http://itemgfx.ultimate-networx.net/Package.zip)

It is not complete yet. Documentation is missing for the most parts. And it might throw a couple of problems. But well you'll be able to create your own images and apply them to neocron.

The restrictions right now:
- it requires .# access to native libs, and thus need to be run as an priviledged user
- it needs write access rights to <neocron>\gfx to create a new folder and put the images in
- after an item-image was updated, the image is not displayed correctly in the browser (unable to read out the format)
- automatic armor requirement calculation is not yet done
- most itemtypes have no item details yet
- it requires you to ALT-TAB out of Neocron to the Browser to install the images
- if Neocron crashes while the Browser is active, it stops responding. Kill it
- same goes for manual close of Neocron
- does most likely not work on Windows x64 Systems
- does not work with Windows 95,98,ME,NT

The scripting abilities (package creation) will be documented in the future. For now just take a look into the Stealth.cs Script.

Read the Readme.txt!

Riddle
21-03-08, 11:00
Dang :rolleyes: the word is out now! was hoping to get something sexy together by having a little headstart :angel:

StevenJ
21-03-08, 11:26
I toyed around and came up with this - hardly ground-breaking work on my part, I know, but it's a start :P

http://www.nskill.co.uk/rk.jpg

Going to try to think of a useful pack to make up over the weekend...

flib
22-03-08, 05:49
This doesn't get the Official Flib Seal of Approval until it is confirmed to have equal opportunity for 64-bit users. =P

Nytewolf2k7
22-03-08, 08:41
Looks promising :)

Mighty Max
22-03-08, 11:17
This doesn't get the Official Flib Seal of Approval until it is confirmed to have equal opportunity for 64-bit users. =P

The problem here is that Win64 Systems do many things very different under the hood. They i.e. have an additional VM containing the "legacy" 32bit applications.

Since i have no overview on these changes and i have no system to observe or test it (I am still running on a Core Duo without the needed enhancements) i don't have a real chance to support x64.

flib
22-03-08, 23:12
Oh well.. :(

Riddle
23-03-08, 15:44
OK hands up after extractinf various models, developing some cool images for myself :) i have absolutely no idea how to get them in game!

Mightymax i would appreciate som eguidance.

I have looked at the Stealth Script but still suffering as i am no code monkey, i love the interface and would ask will one be developed for Exporting into NC?

Extract then change then upload?

Anyways, any help wopuld be appreciated guys.

Mighty Max
23-03-08, 16:04
Well, i know that setting new images are right now chinese symbols for ppl who don't know how to code. The next upcoming Version will have a lot of changes in this manner. (VisualBasic support, Setting Images like Item.Image = whateverImage)

For now the easiest solution for non-programmers is to take the Stealth.cs script, copy it and Exchange the .PNG filename in there as well as the ItemIDs.

If you don't know the ItemID, use the script below after you selected the item you want the ID from.

using System;
#if _REFERENCED
using System.Windows.Forms;
using uneX.Neocron.ItemGFX.Api;
using FreeImageAPI;
#endif

public class Script
{
// info is allways visible
public static string[] Info()
{
/* used to name shortcuts */
string[] Info = {
"Tim Seidel", /* Author */
"Get Item ID", /* Additional Info */
"FreeImageNET.dll", /* First reference */
"System.dll",
"System.Windows.Forms.dll",
"uneX.Neocron.ItemGFX.Api.dll"
};
return Info;
}

#if _REFERENCED
public static void Run(uneX.Neocron.ItemGFX.Api.Process pNeocron, uneX.Neocron.ItemGFX.Api.ItemShortDescription item)
{
if (item != null)
MessageBox.Show("ItemID = "+item.GetItemID().ToString());
}
#endif
}

Riddle
24-03-08, 02:56
Thanks! I'll try that and see how it goes :)

Mighty Max
24-03-08, 10:59
Package 2 (http://itemgfx.ultimate-networx.net/Package_2.zip)

has the newest changes, that makes it a lot more simple for a non-programmer to create own Image-Packages.
Everything it takes now is adding a line like

pNeocron["<Itemname>"].ImageFile = "<ImageFileName>";

to the .cs example, or

pNeocron("<Itemname>").ImageFile = "<ImageFileName>"

to the .vb one

The browser now supports multiple running neocron instances and rescanning for newly started instances.

The next update will take a while, need to start learning for the next exams again.

Suh Duke
24-03-08, 21:23
Package 2 (http://itemgfx.ultimate-networx.net/Package_2.zip)

has the newest changes, that makes it a lot more simple for a non-programmer to create own Image-Packages.
Everything it takes now is adding a line like

pNeocron["<Itemname>"].ImageFile = "<ImageFileName>";

to the .cs example, or

pNeocron("<Itemname>").ImageFile = "<ImageFileName>"

to the .vb one

The browser now supports multiple running neocron instances and rescanning for newly started instances.

The next update will take a while, need to start learning for the next exams again.

Greaty job Mighty Max. I don't currently subscribe to Neocron, but with users like you still in the community Reakktor should be eternally grateful. Future modders like you may just make want to pull the trigger and resubscribe!

Thanks!

Mighty Max
05-04-08, 15:48
Package 3 (http://itemgfx.ultimate-networx.net/Package_3.zip)

Finally got some time again :)

starts now even no neocron client is running. (will show no items)
detects newly started clients when they reach a ready state (might need up to 5 seconds after the ready was reached)
non-ready clients are hidden in the clientlist
the scripts "Perform.vb" and "Perform.cs" will be started for every detected neocron client.
the Api now includes a Script-class to start other scripts (see "Perform.cs")

Therefor you can now start ItemGFX before Neocron and have it automatically change the images on new clients via the perform scripts. No Alt+Tab needed anymore.

:edit: link fixed

Daemon Seed
07-04-08, 22:05
Why exactly is neocron required to run?

Mighty Max
07-04-08, 22:28
This was a design decission, influenced by the requirement of a) no permanent filechange b) de-escalation of unforseen bugs.

Zuul
08-04-08, 01:11
How can i change icons ? and put them finally in the game ???

Ty.

ashley watts
08-04-08, 02:13
I was going to say isnt that against the RoC, but you had permission, Very good work cant wait to see what this turns out like

Mighty Max
08-04-08, 09:10
How can i change icons ? and put them finally in the game ???

- Create the images you would like to use in an RGBA fileformat (like PNG in the example)
- add these files into the itemgfx folder
- create a script for the items that should use the new images (i.e. copy the stealth.cs / stealth.vb and edit them)
- if you want these images added allways to neocron when ItemGFX is running, add this script into Perform.cs (See where stealth.cs is included)
- Start ItemGFX, have fun.

Zuul
08-04-08, 12:37
Thanks a lot.. I tried and iīve got another problem now. when i launch the game and itemgfx, itīs no icon anymore.

I maked a new CS file and wrote the path in perform.cs.

i ve got the same problem with the stealth. dont see it.

thx for help.

Mighty Max
08-04-08, 13:03
You are the second one reporting this problem. I had added several checks that should have fired on that problem but it seems that i am searching for that bug at a wrong location.

I will further investigate this and hope to have a possible fix soon.

Mighty Max
09-04-08, 13:39
I can now reproduce this problem. Trying to find the actual cause.