PDA

View Full Version : First time PPU

carbonkink
09-01-08, 07:41
Hey guys, well I finally lom'ed my apu /50 to a ppu. I've never ever made a ppu before nor have any clue what so ever what spells I should use. If anyone here has experience using a ppu, I was wondering if you can help me/us first time ppu'ers with some tips and recommended setups etc.

It'll be highly appreciated!

Doc Holliday
09-01-08, 12:20
pad heat/haz/spy3/rez/heal/healsanctum/combat buffs/consbuff3 etc

start with that lot and get some good ones of the heals pad etc.

carbonkink
09-01-08, 12:30
awesome, i'll look into those. Are there any specific order to buff or just randomly cast whatever?

How much psi use (base) should I have? Not sure if it's any different to apu...

Also how much should I spec on psi power? I usually didn't spec anything there with my apu....

Brammers
09-01-08, 13:13
The order of your shields, usually depends on the situation on the type of weapon the mobs use. So if it's warbot, I cast Absorber first. Firemobs, I cast protector first.

As for PSI use, you don't need a lot as all it effects now is your PSI pool. Idealy you want enough to completely recast shields and primes on someone without having to use a PSI booster. No base values I'm afraid, as I'm not on a PC with NC installed.

VegaH
09-01-08, 15:48
He there,

As I'm a ppu for 5 years now, i could give you a few tricks:

The spells the guy said before are a good start for caving, though for caving i would add anti-xray spell for Doy tunnels. If you want to PvP, i would add some spells like : Holy Unprotector, Damage Boost, Anti poison, Anti Heal, anti fire, True Sight Sanctum.

Remember one thing : the heal sanctum is nowadays in 2.2 not affecting yourself anymore, it wont heal you, it only heals other people around you so no point casting it to try to save yourself, its a quick belt slot wasted.

Casting order depends on the gun that shoots you (or shoot your teammate) like brammers said, so make sure you understand gun damage types.

Mana pool should be around 380-400 or over in order to cast Holy Unprotector in OP fights decently.

If you plan to do 2 INT specialities like Poke + Hack, you will need some PPW. If not, you can put 0 PPW and have more PSU.

Last good hint on a ppu, recast your shields often, as they will degrade from getting hit by a damage type.

There u go, have fun runner.

the VeGzoR :cool:

Doc Holliday
09-01-08, 23:32
u sure sanctums dont stack? to me it looks like they do.

hivemind
10-01-08, 01:32
The more I read about PPUs, the more I think I should delete mine and make another damned spy. Seems like they're just too hard to play now unless you're really dedicated to it, which I'm not, and never will be (I pretty much despise wizards in a sci-fi game).

Maybe I'll LoM her to Barter and repair...

carbonkink
10-01-08, 02:28
Good stuff guys, thx for the help! There are some spells that i'm quite skeptical about, Not sure if sanctums are quite good enough? Sanctums are for groups right?

Also, I tried looking for Holy Unprotector at the smuggler in pp2 but it wasn't there.... i'm guessing it's a rare spell?

Any rare spells I should be getting for ppu?

CMaster
10-01-08, 11:52
You don't need any rares for PPU.
However, Holy Unprotector will be helpful in PvP, the rare shields have a slightly faster frequency and holy catharsis is easier than having built versions of every anti-stack spell, if slower.

carbonkink
10-01-08, 12:09
Hey there Cmaster, thx for letting me know.

Where can I get this Holy Unprotector?

Also, i've been trying to get my hands on a Crahn Support Core. Is it made up from rare tech parts or faction db? Seems like it's a very rare imp. How much is it and if anyone has one for sale, let me know ;P

CMaster
10-01-08, 12:26
Its a "rare" or "swirley" - that is it is made from tech parts (this applies to both the unprotector and the Support Core). Buy them from other players, or collect the techs yourself.

VegaH
10-01-08, 15:44
Hi again,

Yes, i confirm heal sanctum dont stack on yourself.

Yes, you need rare shields for PvP as they cast really faster than normal ones, which makes you save your life when you get Holy Unprotectored.

No, Holy Catharsis is not good for PvP as it takes way too much mana pool to cast it, when the normal anti poison spell casts quick and takes like no mana.

Any other spells your not sure about?

Thx ;)

carbonkink
10-01-08, 16:33
oK SO for Op wars etc (groups, teams, w/e) Should I get these group/sanctums spells? Are they worth it? Or are the ones that just casts to one target much much much better?

CMaster
10-01-08, 17:03
Group/sanctum spells aren't good for PvP as they erm, help your enemies too, and the fact that you have to be stood close to people for the group spells to work makes their use in PvE limited also.

Generally speaking, stick with the single-target spells, and carry a heal sanctum for PvE.

silent000
10-01-08, 19:11
Used to love our clan's ppu idea of using a DB sanctum......It went down rele well :rolleyes: Haha much love Chris! :cool:

carbonkink
14-01-08, 21:24
I have another question... since ppu's can buff themselves.... would it be smart to spec alot more into ath and health? I've seen a few ppu's that are just so fucking fast.... kept me thinking about loming my ppu to go much faster. I mean the faster you move, the harder the target right? Well is it worth it? Would you guys do it?

Lifewaster
15-01-08, 06:31
I have another question... since ppu's can buff themselves.... would it be smart to spec alot more into ath and health? I've seen a few ppu's that are just so fucking fast.... kept me thinking about loming my ppu to go much faster. I mean the faster you move, the harder the target right? Well is it worth it? Would you guys do it?

Well, since you already can get 85% from self-shields, alongside armor, this can easily reach the 92% resist cap vs energy , thus you can spec all con into ath/hlt to be fast yes.

However, shield decay will hurt you faster then a ppu who overcaps his resists via putting points in con, thus you will need to run away fast and/or refresh shields more often.

Personally I find speed > overcapped resist but it depends on your playstyle.

carbonkink
04-02-08, 12:33
hey there life, thx for the awesome tip, I said my thx in-game. I totally enjoy having my ppu run so much faster and yet have 92% resist cap.

I have another question, whats better.... group or sanctum spells? Whats the difference?

danmalone
04-02-08, 12:51
hey there life, thx for the awesome tip, I said my thx in-game. I totally enjoy having my ppu run so much faster and yet have 92% resist cap.

I have another question, whats better.... group or sanctum spells? Whats the difference?

I would personally go for group spells... as for difference im not sure. Im basing that on the fact that a holy group heal will heal like a Normal holy heal(mebbe a lil more or a lil less i havent tested), the holy heal sanctum heals your group, just at a much slower rate.
Think im gonna have to build alot of group spells now, would make my life a whole lot more easier when im dual logged :p