PDA

View Full Version : So I want to make a PPU, but...

Prom_STar
01-01-08, 22:28
How the hell am I going to level him? My first thought is level him as an APU and then lom. Is this the only/best option? I've heard people throw around ideas like "SMG PPU" and I am always amused when I see a monk with a baseball bat on his back.

Is it possible to level a PPU by rolling a "field medic" and then just standing in front of enemies and healing yourself?

CMaster
01-01-08, 22:54
Spells cast on yourself don't generate XP.
Using an SMG will level your PPU, but only in dex, int and str. No movement on psi, so not a lot of use.

Primary ways of levelling a PPU are to either make an APU and then LOM, or get a friend to start a new character as well, ideally an APU or tank and level up together.
An alternative is to get your dex to the point you can drive a rhino and do that.

aKe`cj
01-01-08, 23:10
apu, then lom... no faster way. missions are a good help for the first 20ish levels as well.

William Antrim
02-01-08, 01:04
Personally I would level as a ppu just because it gives you more practice. The two styles of play are way different for Apu and Ppu. You wont want to die alot and lose all your spells just because youve not had much experience as a ppu.

hivemind
02-01-08, 01:39
I leveled my PPU as a hybrid until I couldn't get any farther, then LoMmed to PPU. Don't know if that's at all viable anymore though...

danmalone
02-01-08, 04:02
antrim's idea is good, altho the apu idea may seem good/fast u kinda need a ppu with u neways to be able to lvl in the places with the best xp. Im leveling a monk up at the moment as an apu, luckily i have a good friend who lets me use his ppu and im now not too far from cap and will eventually end up lommiing to ppu.

If u can get sum1 to ppu you then thats great, just remember that the times without them will be alot harder for u to lvl.... i suggest u got with antrim's idea and go full ppu from the start. U can always find sum other low lvl ppl to team with :)

Zheo
02-01-08, 12:01
There are a few ways. and CMaster your wrong, you DO get exp casting ppu spells, but it's like the exp you get from bartering, it'll take you 60 years of game play to cap.

So here are a few different ways

Pure PPU - Team all the way, best way is with an apu, but teaming with anyone who is of the right level will get you EXP. Obviously this way is the hardest as you rely on other people to deal damage for you.

Hybrid - Level as a half ppu/half apu, lom when capped this will give you experience at ppu'ing and allow you to deal damage and level solo. Alot of people say hybrids are crap, but to level with it might be your best option.

Pure APU - Level as a pure apu then lom. as other have stated probably the fastest way but you get no experince as a ppu.

Hope all this helps.

CMaster
02-01-08, 14:23
There are a few ways. and CMaster your wrong, you DO get exp casting ppu spells, but it's like the exp you get from bartering, it'll take you 60 years of game play to cap.

I'll go back and check, but last time I looked, you only got exp from casting PPU spells on somebody else, not yourself. (Capped my spy's psi by healing people in TH).

onero S
02-01-08, 14:30
I would say lvl one of two ways.

Pure apu with medkits and nanite tool (fastest but harder)

Or spec for a tl 10 heal and shields (red/white) and lvl like that.

Not a huge differance either way.

Voodoo_Magic
02-01-08, 15:39
Cmaster is right - You dont get anything from healing yourself -

However, best way to lvl a ppu from 0/2 is [ edited ]...

TL150 to around 20/25 then leach of a tank in chaos, or a ppu in Ceres labs.

By making a character less powerfull its amazing what you can get ranks to, try removing imps/pa from a tank with a nade launcher ^^.

[ edited ]

danmalone
02-01-08, 19:32
yes thats an exploit i think, im surprised it hasnt been edited yet i saw a few ppl doing this yesterday while i was lvling and they wouldnt admit to it knowing fullwell what they were doing. Kinda peeved me off :(

Trivaldi
02-01-08, 22:02
yes thats an exploit i think, im surprised it hasnt been edited yet i saw a few ppl doing this yesterday while i was lvling and they wouldnt admit to it knowing fullwell what they were doing. Kinda peeved me off :(
Please remember exploits@neocron.com is available to report runners you believe are abusing game mechanics.

Triv

Voodoo_Magic
03-01-08, 02:35
ok, my apologies :)

In that case, get a Tank to get his rank down as low as possible, remove all implants, use TL24nade launchers, and team up with him, throw your ppu a TL25 spell, (after tl150's), then leach until you can use aoe.

sound better?