PDA

View Full Version : NC2 Crashed and now will not reopen?

Morpheous
27-12-07, 02:45
OK, this is a bit of an odd bug.

NC2 crashed. Nothing odd here. Just a normal Visual C++ 'oops, runtime ending in a funny way' error.

Opened client again. Client hangs on the epilepsy warning screen. Restart, same problem. Uninstall and reinstall, same problem. Install to different folder, same problem.

Any ideas?

Edit: I've run the file check. Six times. No errors.

Jaeon
27-12-07, 02:51
GPU mental ilness?

Apocalypsox
27-12-07, 03:06
Restart, as in you've restarted your PC?

Morpheous
27-12-07, 03:07
Restart, as in you've restarted your PC?
Restart as in client restart.

CMaster
27-12-07, 03:12

Do restart your PC.
I know a guy who spent all day trying to make nc work. Turned out that all he needed was to reboot.

Morpheous
27-12-07, 03:17
Do restart your PC.
I know a guy who spent all day trying to make nc work. Turned out that all he needed was to reboot.
Very odd. What possibly would a restart do to help? In terms of the actual action rebooting does- is it a cache issue? If so, can that be corrected without a restart?

CoreKeeper
27-12-07, 03:23
You're using Windows. And Windows... is Windows, which is Windows. Thus, a reboot can help.

Glok
27-12-07, 03:29
Very odd. What possibly would a restart do to help? In terms of the actual action rebooting does- is it a cache issue? If so, can that be corrected without a restart?Are you refusing to reboot? For god's sake why? O_o

Morpheous
27-12-07, 03:52
Are you refusing to reboot? For god's sake why? O_o
Because that would interrupt the so-far-74-hours-long 3DS Max simulation running on this machine at the moment, that's why :rolleyes:

aKe`cj
27-12-07, 04:01
so-far-74-hours-long 3DS Max simulation running on this machine at the moment

I am somewhat torn between laughing out and buying a gun...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/tanvaras/stupidity.jpg

Neocron is extremely picky on fragmented RAM ...thus a reboot does wonders sometimes.

Glok
27-12-07, 04:35
Because that would interrupt the so-far-74-hours-long 3DS Max simulation running on this machine at the moment, that's why :rolleyes:You know NC has a habit of causing reboots right? You know it's a bit silly to play NC on the same machine as some resource-intensive uninterruptible software that is currently running right?

Reboot. :p

Apocalypsox
27-12-07, 04:38
Yup. I knew your problem before we even went through all of this thread. NC does this to me about once a week. When you decide to reboot, your NC will run perfectly fine again.

Morpheous
27-12-07, 17:18
Did the reboot- still not working. (And yes, a full, cold-power-down-and-wait-a-minute reboot)

So, any other ideas? :)

Nytewolf2k7
27-12-07, 17:31
Are you a cop? If so, try intimidating it with your service handgun...

You could try to install Microsoft's Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Runtime Files (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=200b2fd9-ae1a-4a14-984d-389c36f85647&DisplayLang=en) , but I don't even know if Neocron uses the C++ 2005 runtime :/

Mighty Max
27-12-07, 17:40
Did the reboot- still not working. (And yes, a full, cold-power-down-and-wait-a-minute reboot)

So, any other ideas? :)

Delete cache files that might be damaged
- models.tmp
- defs/Servername folder

Morpheous
27-12-07, 21:15
Delete cache files that might be damaged
- models.tmp
- defs/Servername folder

Neither file/folder exists (Fresh install), so I'd find it hard for those to be corrupt... :wtf:

Is there any other cache location for NC I could clear out?

Edit: Gone through my temp folders and whatnot, nothing in there. Registry likewise.

Brammers
28-12-07, 00:03
Ok a long shot, not a Windows/local firewall issue?

Morpheous
28-12-07, 00:26
Ok a long shot, not a Windows/local firewall issue?
Firewall is hardware, relevant ports are open (No egress filtering, I tried opening the ports on egress explicitly and ingress explicitly, no change). All software firewalls disabled.

Windows hasn't changed and works fine with everything else, including other MMOs. So I can stay with EVE if NC really keeps hating me.

I'm going to try and set up a virtual machine running Ubuntu and run it via Wine under VMware. Long shot but might work.

It's got to be a NC problem- nothing else changed or stopped working in Windows, and nothing was changed in Windows between me starting up NC, it crashing and me starting it up again except me opening the start menu. This is a real head-scratching exercise. Anyone know any other places NC might be hiding (potentially broken) config/cache data?

Morpheous
28-12-07, 03:57
Excuse the repost, but a small update- I've gone over the problem with Wireshark and had a good look at what's going in and out. And NC isn't doing any talking to the server, unless it's decided that port 7000 isn't what it uses for anything.

Very odd. Anyone got any ideas with this whatsoever? 8|

Eternal Pink
29-12-07, 22:47
Surely if it was working before and you haven't changed anything then it shouldnt be a port issue? since thats the same as what was working before.

Personnally i'd try the good ol reboot option first and then do a NC file check since whenever i have problems its usually because a NC file got corrupted during one of its many fatals/crashes etc

Only then would i start looking for zebra's like port settings, fire wall settings, internet settings, security levels ( once had a NC crash mess up my security levels still not worked out how that happened ) and so on.

Necpock
30-12-07, 02:18
I sometimes get this, and I get rid of my version of this problem by closing IEXPLORER.EXE process down o_O

Strange but it works for me :D

aKe`cj
30-12-07, 02:22
killed all processes that are not 129% essential for running either nc or windows?

LiL T
30-12-07, 03:15
I am somewhat torn between laughing out and buying a gun...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/tanvaras/stupidity.jpg

Neocron is extremely picky on fragmented RAM ...thus a reboot does wonders sometimes.

Oh yeah thats funny, humm it might have been but its not tickling me one bit. Oh that nice advice a fecking REBOOT wonderfull.

LiL T
30-12-07, 03:17
You're using Windows. And Windows... is Windows, which is Windows. Thus, a reboot can help.

Oh really

/edit I use winxp, I hardly have to reboot these days tbh and I can't see it helping neocron.... nah just can't ..

LiL T
30-12-07, 03:23
OK, this is a bit of an odd bug.

NC2 crashed. Nothing odd here. Just a normal Visual C++ 'oops, runtime ending in a funny way' error.

Opened client again. Client hangs on the epilepsy warning screen. Restart, same problem. Uninstall and reinstall, same problem. Install to different folder, same problem.

Any ideas?

Edit: I've run the file check. Six times. No errors.

Look its most probably a problem with your hardware, how to fix that contact KK because no reboot shit is gonna fix it. FRE is FRE and at boot screen means it does not like computer.

/edit unless it was said here try going into the settings at the launcher screen, then graphics and select DX7 which is the old method directX 7 I beleave. then start the game. Mess around with those settings a bit diable sound if its possible etc till you get it to work then you will find out whats making it crash.

/edit2 its also a good idea to check the download of the neocron install file anything over 500mb I always check to make sure It has no errors, Ive had them in the past.

Oh one last thing, you tryed reformating your computer? Yeah man I reformated my comp when I use to play this if it did not work, no joke and it fixed it 98% of the time :lol:

CoreKeeper
30-12-07, 05:26
I can't see it helping neocron.... nah just can't ..
Yup, i can't see either how your death would be of any use.... nah oh wait i can.