PDA

View Full Version : [OT]XP Media Center + DVD Question

Glok
23-12-07, 02:40
How do I get this bitch to play DVDs? I'm on a second PC now that I installed WinXP-MCE on and for the second time it won't play my DVDs with a codec error. I can play them in WMP11 tho, and in PowerDVD, so what gives?

L0KI
23-12-07, 03:55
Try downloading VLC. Those codecs seem to work for everything.

Never tried a DVD with it, but im sure it will be fine! :)

Glok
23-12-07, 07:16
Downloaded and installed, same thing.

Some more detail: When I try to set up my speakers, I get the same error popup, video codec error. Which is really weird!

Bill Gates is a cunt.

jini
23-12-07, 08:13
xp or vista media center sucks.
OSX is light years ahead.
I dunno about linux

Glok
23-12-07, 08:21
jini, you're my hero.

Asurmen Spec Op
23-12-07, 08:23
xp or vista media center sucks.
OSX is light years ahead.
I dunno about linux
ha..ha...ha...
oh....
OSX has some things going for it, I'd never use it but thats not the point.

Glok: Have you tried downloading any codec packs? I find it odd that VLC cant play it yet WMP can.

As for codec packs if you havent: try k-lite, I hear it's ok.

Glok
23-12-07, 08:31
Hrm. :p

I can play DVDs with WMP11 and PowerDVD, but I can't in Media Center. It is just bugging me cause I want to use my nifty remote to it's fullest and that means playing DVDs within Media Center. :o

Anyone got an idea about the sound thing? I can't set that up in Media Center either due to the video codec. Silly, but hey. I might install my SBLive! 5.1 that's years old and see if that does it...

Glok
23-12-07, 08:42
Btw, sorry I'm such a prick.. in general. I read my replies and sometimes it dawns on me, good god Glok you don't give a shit about anyone do you?

I should be friends with everyone in the world, instead I struggle with breaking my mother's heart by commiting suicide out of vanity.

jini
23-12-07, 10:22
Hrm. :p

I can play DVDs with WMP11 and PowerDVD, but I can't in Media Center. It is just bugging me cause I want to use my nifty remote to it's fullest and that means playing DVDs within Media Center. :o

See? this is what I am talking about.
I have no doubt that you will eventually find a workaround to do what you want, but what if you hadn't the time to spare looking for that work around? What if you simply weren't enough of a "poweruser" to search for solutions and wanted for a truly "plug & play" media center?
This is where M$ sucks.
Oh and the other thing I find irritating is the remotes. Have you ever tried to use these remotes in absolute darkness? Why do you believe Apple's one has only 6 buttons on it and is so small.. light years ahead...
cheers

Glok
23-12-07, 15:22
Well the remote I have lights up, so nyah. :)

At least it controls WMP also, so once I put the dvd in and run it, I can use the remote thereafter.

jini
23-12-07, 17:26
It lights or it not lights= yesterday's news.
When Steve Jobs thought of his 6 button remote, he did it because he didnt want to mess with 154 illuminated keys.
And he suceeded. Never once did I, had to look at that remote, yet I could watch the movies. When you watch a movie, you want to watch the movie :p not another stupidly illuminated remote :p It's like when you have a gorgeous brunette in front of you naked, but you watch your wrist watch :p

Glok
23-12-07, 17:53
I don't get confused that easily. :p

Asurmen Spec Op
23-12-07, 22:36
It lights or it not lights= yesterday's news.
When Steve Jobs thought of his 6 button remote, he did it because he didnt want to mess with 154 illuminated keys.
And he suceeded. Never once did I, had to look at that remote, yet I could watch the movies. When you watch a movie, you want to watch the movie :p not another stupidly illuminated remote :p It's like when you have a gorgeous brunette in front of you naked, but you watch your wrist watch :p
So, when will you get your mouth off Steve Job's nuts and note that they were not the first people to make a ' remote with few buttons for ease of use'?