PDA

View Full Version : This sucks so bad.

Heavyporker
20-12-07, 04:56
This is aggravating beyond belief. Desktop computer died, had to install Neocron on laptop... with Vista.

At first, I could get on Neocron, log on characters, talk to others... but during the apartment debacle last weekend, I could not even turn around without the computer freezing up and requiring a manual reboot.

Now...

I can get on Neocron, I can log on to characters, I can even talk, and lately... even turn around and open doors. So, probably, not related to the apartment debacle. An odd thing, though, is when Neocron freezes, I can alt+tab to another program and keep using that for a little while, but Neocron's still frozen, and pretty soon, the compter is frozen too. Geezh! I hate doing the manual reboots.

I know I'm playing on an Admin account, I gave the neocron2 folder admin permissions... but what the hell?!?!?

At this point, Neocron is nothing more than an aggravating chat program.

Gah, I never thought I'd start missing that old desktop and all the damn fatals again.

Voodoo_Magic
20-12-07, 04:59
you running AS admin, not just admin persmissions to the folder?

And i am getting an obsene amount of program hangs with Vista atm, and Neocron.

Altho i thought it was due to me having to use a proxy due to my Network firewall :(...

Programs hangs, windows asks if i wanna close, click yes. Freezes' But Task manager wwill close it before my PC crashes.

Apocalypsox
20-12-07, 05:43
i suggest turning off the User Account Controls and trying that as well.

I run vista, and i have had NO problems guys 8| Id be tempted to say it runs much better than it did on my XP PC.

(That may just be because my new computer is the fucking sex though)

Heavyporker
20-12-07, 06:29
Okay... user account controls??? Lemme google that.

Apocalypsox
20-12-07, 07:49
control panel -> Users -> User Account Control -> Off, or some shit.

Seraphin[69]
20-12-07, 08:45
No problem with Vista here...

Cnug
21-12-07, 12:47
']No problem with Vista here...

I'll second that.

THE_TICK!!!!
21-12-07, 23:17
how did you fix that pork ? im having the same problem

Archtemplar
21-12-07, 23:31
To fix my vista woes I had to install it outside of the Program Files directory, and download patches manually.

THE_TICK!!!!
22-12-07, 03:42
the game is up and running fine, the problem is, it keeps freezing then lockin up the puter

Malek
22-12-07, 08:53
Seeing as I work Technical Support and about 10 thousand people ask me how to do this I'll give an idea on how to turn off UAC. (If this doesn't work, google it, it'll tell you there)

UAC is what it's called. You can find it under the Start Button -> Control Panel (Make sure it's on Classic View, far left column) Go to ... I think it's User Accounts. There's a button that appears that says "Turn user account control on" and it's a check box. Uncheck it, click OK, reboot as prompted, try again.

Keep in mind this is a security feature (no fuggin clue what it does though) so disabling it will have consequences of some kind... what they are? I don't know.

Your only other option is to upgrade to Windows XP.

THE_TICK!!!!
22-12-07, 13:20
thanks malek ill try it

Riddle
22-12-07, 20:40
Tried the compatibility fix?

I had issues with in game sound etc. fixed that not sure about hangs etc. as i am running NC on my laptop with no issues.

Right click NC EXE>Properties>Compatibility>Run as XP SP2

May help??

Heavyporker
22-12-07, 22:30
I still haven't fixed it - I actually gave up for a couple days because I was so tired from work that I didn't want to struggle against the computer.

Note - the UAC thing I already tried, and apparently doesn't stop the freezing issue. I'll try the SP2 XP compatibility thing next later on today.

Heavyporker
23-12-07, 00:02
Compatibility thing is a no-go, as well.

Heavyporker
25-12-07, 07:30
Do computers feel pain?

I want to taser this computer into not freezing up when running Neocron.

Apocalypsox
25-12-07, 07:51
i wish -.- my fucking monitor just bit the shit. Brand new 21 inch monitor i just bought less than 2 months ago decided to just shat out.

Then i shut it off for a while and it worked fine. Im just glad my GTX didnt shit out.

flib
25-12-07, 21:59
Well, it should still be under warranty.

THE_TICK!!!!
26-12-07, 08:40
mines still doin the same thing too pork

Heavyporker
27-12-07, 07:21
Well, you know what they say, Tick...

"Misery loves company".

This is agony, though, not mere misery.

Garfield
28-12-07, 19:03
WIN98 and still no probs :D

T'Pol
29-12-07, 20:51
This may sound pretty simplistic but why dont you install WinXP? As far as i know Neocron2 does not require Vista.

Tratos
29-12-07, 21:45
How much RAM are you guys running?

Malek
31-12-07, 05:06
How much RAM are you guys running?

Can't believe I forgot to ask this either.

If you don't know, just do the following:
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL. Hit the button that says "Start TaskManager", across the top, click on the tab that says "Performance". There's a section that will say Physical Memory. Just type down the number that appears in Total.

(FYI people, this is expressed in Megabytes for Vista, not Kilobytes like in XP)

Also if you could, at the bottom left of that Task Manager you'll see Processes: n. Where n is probably a 2 digit number, type that out in a response too. For Vista, the norm is about 70+ I believe. (Windows XP, should be about 35 to 40)

Glok
31-12-07, 05:24
You could also get What's Running? (http://www.download.com/What-s-Running/3000-2094_4-10526910.html?tag=lst-1) It's by far the best system utility I've ever used. See attachment for a screen.

Heavyporker
02-01-08, 07:20
Says 2037 total physical memory. Graphics card is an on-board Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950, though, don't know too much about that, but I know I *can* actually move around in Neocron with pretty nice graphics, so it can't be resource shortage.