PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Nobby and his problem... (work)

nobby
18-12-07, 00:49
Hi there

I'm having trouble with Money, I'm back at school doing my A levels as I wish to get into University, however due to this, because my family isn't "Lower Class" I do not recieve ANY money from the EMA for going back to school. This is proving a Pain in the arse for me as where I live, and as I cannot drive... yet, Money is a real strain for me to make.

I owe money to pay for my laptop which must be fully paid by August next year, also I "Need" to go to Japan next year and partake in a Course which the certificate I shall recieve on the Japanese course, will be sufficient enough to show my Determination of Wanting to Learn Japanese at University.

I currently Require at LEAST £5k (which May seem peewee money to some, I don't know) by Summer next year, but having to go to 6th form with no money coming in, is depressing.

I've heard by some, that VOIP is allowing people to work from home as sales reps, technical support and Administraition for businesses.

I would love anyone who has or Does work from home, if they could give me any information on doing this part time, if avaliable.

Or anyone working from home, Information will greatly appreciated.

Dead Bodies
18-12-07, 00:52
Runner,

I Work from home. On one computer i work, the other i play neocron... or sometimes i use both :). I am a travel agent for a time share subsidary. Where bouts are u located in the country anywhere near Arizona?

E&E

nobby
18-12-07, 00:58
As my forum Location says- England

as I don't know any place in the UK as Arizona, I guess you mistook me for being American :(

I live in Outskirts of Cambridgeshire

Dead Bodies
18-12-07, 01:49
As my forum Location says- England

as I don't know any place in the UK as Arizona, I guess you mistook me for being American :(

I live in Outskirts of Cambridgeshire

outch yes i did, everyone i know in UK is in the same position as u.... their broke.... but i cannot convience them to move to the us. i told them the accents get all the chicks!

E&E

nobby
18-12-07, 02:06
outch yes i did, everyone i know in UK is in the same position as u.... their broke.... but i cannot convience them to move to the us. i told them the accents get all the chicks!

E&E

My Accent just normally gets me Abuse on Xboxlive... ahem *

Is it a possiblity that I could work for a US firm, online while in the UK ?

Or are there some laws about which wouldn't allow such a thing?

Maybe I should Look online for US...

Mal
18-12-07, 02:41
They'd snap you up. [ edited ]

FuzzyDuck
18-12-07, 16:07
unless you're applying for oxbridge or the ivy league, I dont really see how making that trip to japan is essential. And even if you were to make that trip, everyone just wants your grades and apptitude tests to be up to scratch and for you to have a personality, not to say "i've been to japan 300 times therefore I'm good enough".

Seriously, you should only go to japan because you would enjoy it (which you obviously do), and not feel as though you need to in order to get into university, because that's just completely false.

As for advice on making money; it's not really a good idea to work online for companies in the US considering most will require a degree of you, or for you to be an undergraduate to be deemed useful. It's practically impossible to find a good job until you start committing to work full time.

The best advice I can really give is to ask your parents (considering you live in the middle of nowhere), or family friends if they have anything that needs to be done, or if they have little openings in their own companies/jobs that you can fill.

Perhaps also cut a deal with your parents along the lines of 'if you drive me to the local town so I can work I will give ## to petrol' or "I'll help out around the house" or whatever. If your parents arent psychopaths they should understand that living in the middle of nowhere sucks ass for teenagers and be happy to help you out with working, espeically for spending the money you earn on a trip to japan.

And working in school should always come before working for money.

aKe`cj
18-12-07, 16:15
sell yer bum... :o
... thats the price you pay for buying stuff you cant afford.

(or maybe find a job in your area or maybe move or maybe talk to your parents or maybe get a loan or maybe do something but waste time on the neocron forums with this issue - if it is a problem you wont solve it here!)

Hell-demon
18-12-07, 17:30
Nobby forget all this and listen to me as I'm exactly in your situation.

I am a poor student and have currently been offered places at university, and like you I am attending college. Money is an arse at the moment. I have no job (don't want one coz I'm lazy).

However, here are some tips to help your saving and money:

- Firstly, forget going to Japan. Too expensive, focus on University and getting into it. That way you have a degree and are statistically more likely to get a very good job which will bring in the income that will allow you to go to Japan in the near future.

- Sell old video games. Don't get much for PC games but every little helps. OR just sell stuff on ebay. I recently sold my electric guitar on ebay to get my girlfriend an engagement ring.

- Save money (duh) and don't buy useless shit. Simple, yet, not everyone does this.

-How old are you at the moment? I'm turning 19 soon and that intitles me to an ALG (Adult Learning Grant), similar to EMA but does not require your family to be from a particular economic background. All it requires is that your 19 and in full time education.

-Get a job and save money. Is your best option but hard because you have to focus on your studies. You can get jobs to do online at home but they are hard to come by and highly sought after. I'd recomend online journalism but every fucker is doing it and the money is peanuts.

-Send that laptop back. You got seriously shafted by debt already and you're not even at University 8| Think Nobby. Be wise with your spending.

-Buy Xmas presents at charity shops. Very hit and miss but man you find some real good items if you dig hard enough. Corpse Bride on DVD for £2! Bargain.

-Don't buy food at college, expensive and shite. Make a packed lunch, much cheaper. Or steal food off your mates.

-Play an instrument? Good at it? Offer lessons for a price.

There's more but I just got back from college and I am Le Tired. I'll post more student money tips later.

Mal
18-12-07, 17:37
-Play an instrument? Good at it? Offer lessons for a price.

Hell, do what I did. Go busking with a couple of mates. If you're somewhere with tourists and you can play a guitar, you can basically make enough to cover your food allowances.

Hell-demon
18-12-07, 17:47
Here we go click click (http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/50ways)

Good little list. Some stuff wont apply to you but I found it handy because I'm a poor widdle student. Why do you think I love all this free time we get for Neocron :D

nobby
18-12-07, 22:27
Nobby forget all this and listen to me as I'm exactly in your situation.

I did work when I was doing my GCSEs, I was lucky enough to be doing Catering with my dad (good business)

Provided I didn't have school, I would work with him Whenever I could. I got £85 a day. 15 hours a day did feel tiring, but it made me stronger :p

When I got back from japan this year, I started work 2 days later, trying to remain making money. I did find it hard going back again, especially as my dad had taken on Real BIG jobs at that time...

My mate was in urgent need of work and so I sent him to my dad being a good samaritan, he started a good worker and soon turned into a gimp it seemed.

I then turned lazy and stopped working while letting my mate carry on taking the days I would do. (Which he needed)

My Japanese mate gets in touch with me and says he's planning on moving far from Tokyo.
Being near enough my best mate I really don't wanna like... not see him again in the future.

College starts and soon after I'm already looking at University courses looking for the "right" one.

I find my dream course I'd love to do (in the future at uni) Get a TESOL, do Major Japanese and Minor mandarin Chinese.

Course requirements state they want a C at an A2 Language, for Japanese, chinese etc they don't require you have an actually qualification for that, however They want evidence of Sucessful Language Learning. I didn't think a GCSE C in German would be sufficient and totally hating French, and have no interest in Persuing German for A level, I felt I NEED to take a Japanese Course.

I found a Good looking course at www.wle-japan.com (http://www.wle-japan.com) which took my eye.

I set myself inside my head, I shall be doing this in the Summer then... then started looking at things ahead.

I saw I needed a New computer, so I bought a gaming laptop, this wasn't just for gaming, but to Use as my Japan Computer so I have contact with outside world... I wasn't planning on getting a little lonely out there.

I ask to work for my dad again, and he agrees to let me go with him on weekend's (Saturdays, rarely sundays too) after Christmas.

Taking this in mind, I thought I should have enough money by Japan time.

Actually working it out, I discovered I will have £3080 by then... which is not enough . Bleh !

I feel I "Need" my summer holiday to Jap Land otherwise I might go crazy...

so looking at my money, I thought... " I Need to work more!"
So online work entered my head.

Looking at call centre jobs, I saw part time shifts avalaible with companies 4:00PM to 8:00PM.

This would be perfect for me considing I'd be home from college by then.

So I decided to go "Work from home hunting"...

Looking at the money making ways.....

I've been doing "CAS 24" at college, which is like a community service certificate that Universities like (Aparently)...

So i've been helping out in Maths lessons, German Lessons for Year 7's and 8's.

The head of the College then says " I know some Students that Really wanna learn japanese and because this place don't offer it, How would you do Japanese Classes instead"...

Bleh ! I said ok without thinking

the kids that turn up seem to enjoy the lessons I hold, but I have to lose my Lunch break on Monday's to do this.

I guess because I'm giving up my time to teach them Japanese, I could "ask"for donations because I really don't like the way I felt i made a "forced" decision to just say yes to do this. ( I'm the only person of the 3000 there at the school and college that can Speak japanese, or "some" Japanese)

so maybe I can add that as a skill to teach for money ;)

Hell-demon
18-12-07, 23:08
You don't need the trip to japan just yet. The country isn't going anywhere, it will still be there when you get back from Uni.

If you have a good personal statements, A-levels and references then a University will let you in for sure.

CMaster
19-12-07, 00:26
You're teaching Y7 kids a foreign language?
That should be evidence enough for the university. If you study a foreign language, they will (I presume) expect you to spend a year out there, so you'll get to be in Japan again. Let it go for now would be my suggestion, or alternativley delay university a bit, and look at spending next year doing the Jet Programme (http://www.jetprogramme.org/). Again, should be fairly convincing to a univesity of your interest.

Mal
19-12-07, 01:04
If you NEED to go to Japan, it might be worth looking into any institutions there that can make use of your skills to give you the equivilent of a scholarship.

I got a grant from a company that teaches English to the Chinese, which covered me for a trip over there and my accomodation for 2 months.

nobby
19-12-07, 01:13
You're teaching Y7 kids a foreign language?
That should be evidence enough for the university. If you study a foreign language, they will (I presume) expect you to spend a year out there, so you'll get to be in Japan again. Let it go for now would be my suggestion, or alternativley delay university a bit, and look at spending next year doing the Jet Programme (http://www.jetprogramme.org/). Again, should be fairly convincing to a univesity of your interest.

Looking into JET, I found I've gotta have a BA degree first :p

and about my "skill" of Japanese...

It's been fine enough for which I'm teaching some year 7's and a few year 9's from scratch.

However my actual skill of the language I wouldn't say is in "Elementary" stage yet ...

CMaster
19-12-07, 01:15
Looking into JET, I found I've gotta have a BA degree first :p

Oops. I looked through for that and didn't spot it.
Excuse: Too much wine.

Edit: no, it is mentioned on the Jet international site. I just overlooked it first time.

nobby
19-12-07, 01:19
nah i looked on a different site altogether

JET-uk ;)

dark_reaper
20-12-07, 03:22
If you live near an airport, within a couple of km or have a transportation route to it, you can work at an FBO there, there is a company called Signature that is based in England, well BBA is, but if you are able to find transportation there, they will pay for your school (if it is a gain to them.)

I work for them full time at Jacksonville, fl and they are paying for my school and I am going to school full time. Just a thought. You can also try tech support if you are computer savy enough, some cases you may be able to work from home. My friend did.

nobby
23-12-07, 02:53
Could you give me some more information about what your friend did

RogerRamjet
23-12-07, 04:03
lol, because your family isn't "Lower Class".

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/gallery/2005/10/04/PAIKnowMyPlace3.jpg

:rolleyes:

jini
23-12-07, 08:08
Focus on things you can do, postpone things like Japan for now till you are able to go there. Online jobs: this can't be your starter job. Our societies are not yet ready for this, and those that do it, already have another means to survive and do it mostly like a hobby. Get a part time job if you can to learn the tricks, and pay the bills.

As you build experience you will be able to move to more lucrative positions with less work and maybe telecommuting, but not before finishing with your education. Focus on education atm, think it as a multiplier of future salaries to come: the less the education you get the lower the multiplier of future salaries.

Richard Slade
23-12-07, 18:57
I work from home, prostitution is great!

landofcake
24-12-07, 01:37
lol, because your family isn't "Lower Class" ...

Brilliant.

I live down the road from where they filmed the outdoor bits of Faulty Towers, don't you know ?

A piece of advice for you nobby: don't think a year in industry as part of a degree will get you a decent amount of money. It won't.

Still worth doing though.

William Antrim
24-12-07, 12:48
Stick an S on the front of Nobby and you've got it made......

If youre not lower class like the rest of us peons cant you sponge off your folks? Thats what most of the kids who go to uni do now. They did when I went anyway. :p

Unfortunately I guess at the moment youre learning that life is indeed about sacrifices. Short of inheriting billions from a rich old relative most people have to make these choices every day. Welcome to life son.

I would go with the part time evening job if you do desperately need money, data entry jobs pay decent because it is menial soul-destroyingly boring work. But that said, if you want a job and some cold hard currency then you will get it. Theres plenty of casual work around christmas time too but fitting jobs around your other committments might be tricky. Are you old enough for bar work yet? (you could lie about your age and go work in a pub at 17 - it worked for me).

That all said - being a teenager is a nightmare, especially in the later years as you have all this new independance and you want to go abroad and see the world but not having 2 pennies to rub together is nightmare. Hopefully you wont wax the credit card as most seem to do and I do wish you the best of luck in your endeavours.

Tbh, I dont think anyone else said it yet but regards to the volunteer lessons and such you might actually find that if you hilight the fact that you ARE in fact giving up 1 hour of lunch breaks a week (an hour a week is not much to find for anyone to be fair) then this does reflect favourably on you in their eyes. Universities are similar to employers in that respect. Anyone who goes further than the average candidate, who does that little bit extra does in fact stand out from the crowd a little at selection time. You might find in the long run that that little fact swings things in your favour.

However, I agree with Richard Slade - under uk law if you have only one prostitute in a house its not a brothel so if you have any sisters you could make a lucrative income from them. :lol:

RogerRamjet
24-12-07, 14:58
Unfortunately I guess at the moment youre learning that life is indeed about sacrifices.

Precisely. Moaning because your EMA won't cover buying a 5k laptop and a jaunt to Japan is just, well, ridiculous.

nobby
24-12-07, 22:48
not saying it's going to pay for a Laptop... (and I never said the damn laptop was 5K alone. EVERYTHING, Japan trip + Laptop was 5K )

It's just Depressing seeing Chav Twatbags getting money for going to school again, EMA seem to forget that the more someone earns, the more tax they have to pay, so I can't just scrounge off my parents.

I Would like an evening job, but where I live, I just Can't !

There's a pub next door, they don't want kitchen staff and they already know how old I am. They serve me drinks, but won't let me be a barman. It's 15 miles to the nearest town where I'd happily look for work at if I could. Dad works 13 hour a day so he can't drive me. Mum's always "too busy" to take me anywhere which house work, dinner all the crap.. etc........

Which is why I turned to the "work at home"

Guess I'll forget Japan next year :(

No Holiday next year... *cries*