PDA

View Full Version : Sniper headshot query

krynstone
14-12-07, 19:22
Bored at work...munch on this:

Headshots for snipers. I always loved being the ranged player in any game and it's annoying that you can't really get headshots for guaranteed damage+.

I know that a shot that happens to fall into the head zone does extra damage but you can't purposefully aim for the head. How about letting a scoped sniper rifle designate the hit zone based on reticle closure?

Tell me if I missed something or if I said something that is not the case. But I believe I have the details right.

silent000
14-12-07, 19:48
Maybe when you are in zoom mode or whatever, you aim at the head hitbox and a spot will appear in the center of your crosshair to tell you that you have a headshot, and fire away :cool: Im shit at putting things into words so most of the time i dont bother lol

William Antrim
14-12-07, 20:20
You can aim for the head. There are 3 locations in 2.2 nc. Head body and legs.

krynstone
14-12-07, 20:56
Ok...I just came back from a break.

I remembered that there have always been locations.
I also remember aiming for the head but the location of the hit still remained random.

Are you saying that aiming for a hitbox affects your hits location now? or just that you can try to aim(in vain).

William Antrim
14-12-07, 21:34
In nc1 there was only a hitbox that you could aim for. You either hit the player or you missed him and his resists were calculated based on that. You could hit the legs or the body and damage this section to slow the runner down somewhat but the resists were always the same across the board.

Now with nc2.2 there are 3 separate locations EACH with their own set of resist values. As far as i know the damage is worked out based on each set of resist values and indeed anything above the neck is counted as the head. I believe (but have not tested) that if you hit the player in the face with a sniper rifle you WILL in fact do a higher amount of damage as this is deemed to be a headshot. It is harder to hit them in this location obviously from an aiming point of view as he has a smaller target but the reward is there.

onero S
14-12-07, 22:28
It shouldn't be harder to get a headshot, the hit box is exactly that, a box. As far as I know if you hit any player with any weapon in the top 1/3d of their hitbox it counts as a headshot and does extra dmg.

GoLaserEyes
14-12-07, 23:29
Headshots do extra damage and the Head Hitzone isn't random at all. Of course high latency can cause some shots to go amiss / into the wrong Hitzone while trying to hit moving targets.

Some mobs (i.e. Facehugger in Regants) don't have a head and some mobs have heads that are just difficult to hit, so that you can do more overall damage by shooting their body.

Besides, the extra damage doesn't make a real difference to me. It was always about 1/8 of the damage I dealt to the body hitzone of the same mob.

Nidhogg
15-12-07, 01:39
IIRC only players have multiple hitboxes. Mobs have a single hitbox.

N

CMaster
15-12-07, 02:50
I seem to recall that headshots get a 10% damage boost, while leg shots a 10% penalty - its in the 2.2 notes somewhere. Of course, nobodys rests are 100% equal all over either.

Anyway, you want a headshot, aim for the head - but realise that this isn't the huge damage bonus you get from CS.

William Antrim
15-12-07, 02:52
I seem to recall that headshots get a 10% damage boost, while leg shots a 10% penalty - its in the 2.2 notes somewhere. Of course, nobodys rests are 100% equal all over either.

Anyway, you want a headshot, aim for the head - but realise that this isn't the huge damage bonus you get from CS.

AH there is a 10% reduction, I often thought this but have never crunched the numbers to accurately reflect it. It makes sense from experience for sure.

CMaster
15-12-07, 03:13
AH there is a 10% reduction, I often thought this but have never crunched the numbers to accurately reflect it. It makes sense from experience for sure.

Hmm, no solid numbers, but the ideas are explained here and here.

Apocalypsox
15-12-07, 04:30
there are seperate hitboxes now. I usually aim for the feet because im an asshole and people dont usually have the greatest resistances on their feet. :lol: