PDA

View Full Version : got client and patched but...

Ascension
14-12-07, 03:00
Well, got my account details back, client installed & patched.

Loading up the game and it all works, character selection works, but then no 'syncronizing' just black screen as if its froze.

any ideas? :confused:

Mr Kot
14-12-07, 03:06
OMG, there's a name from the past!

Try exiting MSN messenger (or whatever the fuck it's called now). It has its problems.

/edit: Oh, and this. (http://forum.neocron.com/showpost.php?p=2108844&postcount=6)

Ascension
14-12-07, 03:30
deleted that folder, closed msn, closed any other net based program and still nothing.

Its as if it freezes then goes into a black screen, I then cant even alt + f4 or alt + tab. :(

Glok
14-12-07, 03:37
Did you reboot? It needs to be asked... I recall some others having that problem on a fresh install.

Ascension
14-12-07, 03:44
countless times now, I'm force to reboot cos NC is locking my PC up. :rolleyes:

LiL T
14-12-07, 08:07
countless times now, I'm force to reboot cos NC is locking my PC up. :rolleyes:

Firewall?

I know zonealarm does that if I forget to set it up to allow neocron access after a patch.

Tratos
14-12-07, 08:17
Firewall?

I know zonealarm does that if I forget to set it up to allow neocron access after a patch.
Also check Windows Firewall, it'll only complain once you've tried to login which might cause the crash.

jini
14-12-07, 09:15
this must be a firewall issue

Tratos
14-12-07, 09:18
By the way, it's great to see you back Asc ;) although you probably have forgotten me :p

Yelly
14-12-07, 09:55
onoz asc still around......
Welcome back :)

CMaster
14-12-07, 11:45
I got this ever since I got my new PC (which is completely stable for everything else, incidentally). It used to have to mean hard-reseting the computer. However, now that I have a second screen, there is an alternative - I can bring up task manager on the other screen, and end process on client.exe. Haven't had any more luck with it than that. It happens on maybe 1 in 3 or so attempts to login. Sometimes several times in a row though.

Specs:

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
Core2Duo E6400 (overclocked to 2.6 ghz - 25%)
XTX Geforce 7900GS (overclocked to some non-specifc figure)
2024mb OCZ Platinum PC7200 Ram
160GB Western Digital Caviar SE HDD
MSI 975X Motherboard with Realtec HD onboard sound.

aKe`cj
14-12-07, 12:30
check you error.log for any entries - make sure you have only the processes/tasks running that are crucial for running win/nc, kill everything else (not only stuff thats related to network usage).

Make sure you launch in Windowmode so you can see and respond to any firewall warnings - this will also allow you to quit NC without rebooting (the computer usually runs fine, its just that you cant escape the 'black nc layer' that covers everything. You could also practice using the task-manager blind.. but meh) :p

Since I am pretty sure it's either your Firewall or AV soft acting up, also check this (http://ng.neocron.com/index.php?id=85)

Ascension
14-12-07, 16:38
Got it working at 7:30 this morning, been at work though.

Ello Yelly, hows you?

@ Tratos, ofc I remember you ;)

Nidhogg
14-12-07, 16:46
Can you describe how you resolved the problem in case someone else finds this thread in a search later on?

Thanks,

N

Heavyporker
14-12-07, 18:22
Ascention... wow... how long has it been?!

Anyways, I'll lay odds that it was his firewall. I had the exact same problem.

Tickles
14-12-07, 18:34
Ohh Ascention... haven't seen your name in ages! Was it BRTF I know you from?

Ascension
14-12-07, 18:47
Ohh Ascention... haven't seen your name in ages! Was it BRTF I know you from?

yup. good memories. :D

aKe`cj
14-12-07, 19:16
Can you describe how you resolved the problem in case someone else finds this thread in a search later on?

Thanks,

N

...please? :angel:

Ascension
14-12-07, 19:18
Well, as for the remedy. I tinkered round with my router settings. making sure all ports etc were open.

I then disabled my antivirus & firewall and it seemed to work so yea, porker was right :)

But I also deleted the Terra folder etc that people suggested previously. :)