PDA

View Full Version : American "Football"

Glok
11-12-07, 09:02
Well not really.. I just thought our nerd-rage world had a little to share with... 'American Football.'

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i213/neosigs/owning.jpg

I just love everything about that little news blurb on Yahoo just now. Beautiful, even though I don't give a shit about American football or the Patriots. :D

nabbl
11-12-07, 11:04
garrard > manning > brady :P

GO JAX GO!

William Antrim
11-12-07, 11:56
PFFFFFFFFFFT Garrard.

He plays Ball-control offence because Jax know they have a playoff worthy D to support him. He doesnt have to take the whole team on his back. Brady IS that team, and now he has some half way decent receivers to throw to youre seeing just how good he could be.

If you would've put Brady into the Colts offence of last year or the year before he probably would've gone 16-0 there too.

For the record I am a Skins fan.

God rest Sean Taylor.

L0KI
11-12-07, 11:58
What the HELL are you guys on about?

William Antrim
11-12-07, 12:03
The Nuffle Rab.

American Football. It seems there some other X's and O's lovers on here, besides me.

nabbl
11-12-07, 12:26
PFFFFFFFFFFT Garrard.

He plays Ball-control offence because Jax know they have a playoff worthy D to support him. He doesnt have to take the whole team on his back. Brady IS that team, and now he has some half way decent receivers to throw to youre seeing just how good he could be.

If you would've put Brady into the Colts offence of last year or the year before he probably would've gone 16-0 there too.

For the record I am a Skins fan.

God rest Sean Taylor.

garrards playstyle stands for SAFETY. its all about safety in american football. and with that good running game with taylor and drew jones the offense is SAFE. they are always doing their points, i think garrard got only 1 interception until now?

and the defense does the rest. CBs and Safetys are very good. and the defensive line as well.

owwwwww and the special teams... did u see the 106 yard kick return by jones drew? WASNT IT WONDERFUL?

i had tears in my eyes.

Doc Holliday
11-12-07, 12:47
nabbl is a jags fan. i did love you :) not anymore. agreed tho. garrard is much better than byron leftwich. lol.

Its all about the 'boys this year. i dont care the patriots are doing what they are doing. its awesome that they have so much success but we just won our first division title in the last 9+ seasons :) that is sexy.

Go Tony Romo. Go Dallas. Defend the star.

William Antrim
11-12-07, 12:53
Yeah Ball-control offence, ie no turnovers from fumbles or interceptions. I agree with you he has not thrown an interception and all that but he is a product of that system. He doesnt feel the pressure BECAUSE of the Running game (Taylor has run for like 700 yards in the last 6-7 weeks) and the D. Look at how they collapsed without Marcus Stroud, youre talking about one of the best DTs in the NFL, period. Certainly in the AFC, the only other one who regularly makes the headlines this year is Albert Haynesworth (Titans) but hes in a contract year.

The point I was trying to make is, take Garrard and put him in another system (without that D and Running game) and force him to throw on you and force him to WIN the game for you and I think he would get flustered and come up short. I do not think he is the same kind of QB as Manning or Brady or any of the other upper echelon Quarterbacks in this league.

If my team was 14 points down in the fourth quarter with 5 minutes on the clock I would have confidence in sending Brady out there to win it, Garrard.... no sorry I think he would fail.

I hope he is the qb of the future for Jax, I really do. Theyre one of those quiet teams who always do well but come from a small market so they dont get the coverage of some of the other teams, and playing in Indiannapolis' division they will always get compared. It's tough but thats football. Jax went 9-1 vs the rest of the NFL this year I think (not counting their losses to Indy) and have looked good in every game. I think theyre favourites for a wild card at the moment but thats a credit to the team, not to their QB. In pre-season ESPN did a cover story saying they had the top running back tandem in the nfl this season. I remember a lot of fans talking smack on it but Jax proved em wrong and fair play. I just think the qb is overhyped and credit should go to the coaching and the D more than their O.

Doc Holliday
11-12-07, 13:09
jack del rio is an ex cowboys linebacker many a moon ago. and hes the Head coach. i can support em for that but given the choice its the cowboys all the way :)

Glok
11-12-07, 13:35
I think a mod better change the thread title... I was more after the 'ownage' quotient. :lol:

Nidhogg
11-12-07, 13:37
Thread renamed. ;)

N

Glok
11-12-07, 14:31
Thread renamed. ;)

NOnoz! Now I have to pretend I know what I'm talking about... considering I don't even know who won the world series this year (for sure anyways, it was the Red Sox right?) you might surmise (correctly) that my knowledge of sports in general is a bit thin!

William Antrim
11-12-07, 16:20
Lol Glok, thats baseball.... the sport for dopers and druggies (and thats just the players!), not my favourite cup of tea by any stretch of the imagination.

nobby
11-12-07, 20:28
isn't American Football just a pussy, Armoured up version of Rugby?

Matanius
11-12-07, 21:36
isn't American Football just a pussy, Armoured up version of Rugby? ha ha, made me 'lol' :p

MotorMike
11-12-07, 21:54
isn't American Football just a pussy, Armoured up version of Rugby?
it is* :D

to call that crap " football" is an defamation for Real Football :lol: :cool:

Odin
11-12-07, 23:26
Bah I'm a Miami Dolphin fan.

Bad bad year for me.

hivemind
11-12-07, 23:28

Bad bad year for me.
Man they got rolled over by Buffalo Sunday. Go go 0-13...

William Antrim
11-12-07, 23:51

Bad bad year for me.

One step closer to the Brian Brohm bowl!

braydagner
12-12-07, 07:57

Bad bad year for me.
Eesh. Hard luck.

I'm sittin tight about a mile away from Gillette Stadium.
*cough*undefeated*cough*

Doc Holliday
12-12-07, 11:53
Eesh. Hard luck.

I'm sittin tight about a mile away from Gillette Stadium.
*cough*undefeated*cough*

hehe. it wont mean dick if you lose to dallas in the superbowl.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COWBOYS :)

William Antrim
12-12-07, 12:12

News just in - Reakktor Studios received a fax from Texas Stadium enquiring about the possibility of signing a free agent player off the street for next months remarkable playoff exit. Someone in the admin department at the headquarters of the Dallas Cowboys apparently got very confused when trying to sign a new "holder" for their team. One gm was said to be very excited with the news but sadly it was all too good to be true.

Got some glue for Romos hands this year huh bro?

braydagner
12-12-07, 22:59

Excuse me, Cowboys? Who are they? Haven't heard of 'em. :lol:

Oh wait, didn't they lose to the Patriots? Yea... yea, they did. Just like every other division leader.

Doc Holliday
13-12-07, 11:25
Excuse me, Cowboys? Who are they? Haven't heard of 'em. :lol:

Oh wait, didn't they lose to the Patriots? Yea... yea, they did. Just like every other division leader.

Whiirrrrr goes the video camera ........................ :angel: couldnt resist.

Pats are having a great season but the records dont mean anything once the playoffs start so we will see what happens.

Odin
13-12-07, 16:06
One step closer to the Brian Brohm bowl!

Brohm is highly overrated. I do not expect him to go in the Top 10.

Right now my projected top five are RB McFadden (who my teams fans are screaming for despite having Ronnie Brown who was leading the league in yards from scrimmage till his injury), DT Dorsey (back injury and still requires double/triple teams), DE Long (Yup Howie Long's son can play!), DE Ghoulston (not high on many boards right now but will rise...a Shawn Merriman type player) and OT Clady (OT Long is destined to be a RT so I believe Clady will climb into the top 5 as the best LT). Then the QB's follow up and of course 1 or 2 will go top 5 cause QB's are always over rated in the draft (could be a 5 QB first round year if Colt Brennan sneaks into the end of the first).

William Antrim
13-12-07, 16:18
We dont get College coverage over here unfortunately but from what I have read none of the QBs in this years draft are anything at all. The pundits are saying that theyre all overrated but yes on the subject of Howie Longs kid, he got his dads smarts I think. It will be interesting to see where he goes and how he does.

will have to bump this thread again in april to see how it all shakes out.

braydagner
13-12-07, 16:28
Whiirrrrr goes the video camera ........................ :angel: couldnt resist.

Pats are having a great season but the records dont mean anything once the playoffs start so we will see what happens.
I'm pretty sure they were just filming New York Jets Gone Wild, I don't know what everyone was getting all worked up about. They should have taken it as a compliment tbh.

RogerRamjet
13-12-07, 18:45
To quote Dennis Pennis:

Baseballs a little bit like rounders, and it's crap. Basketball, crap, and American football, a game full of skill and guile played by real sportsmen. Only kidding of course, its bollocks.

;)

Doc Holliday
13-12-07, 23:27
love all the nfl bash0rs

i dont bash cycling. get your fucking pc and get in game :)

Odin
13-12-07, 23:36
I like it. I always describe it as Chess between 250lb-340lb pieces :p

Been a Miami fan since I was 9 (Marino, Clayton/Duper). Swear Wanny destroyed this team with years of crappy drafting.

William Antrim
14-12-07, 00:43

Been a Miami fan since I was 9 (Marino, Clayton/Duper). Swear Wanny destroyed this team with years of crappy drafting.

He destroyed your team by not having a competent GM to look over his shoulder (if you mean Dave Wannstedt or however you spell it).

P.s being a canadian, whats your take on the Bills moving to Toronto for "one" (yeah right) game a year.

Doc Holliday
14-12-07, 01:06

indeed. sadly jimmy couldnt weave his magic before he retired and then u got dave. great DC bad head coach. still this years draft could change all that quite easily with some careful negotiations by huizenga. ie get a good head coach but keep your hands off jason garrett :)

Odin
14-12-07, 22:13
P.s being a canadian, whats your take on the Bills moving to Toronto for "one" (yeah right) game a year.

Toronto would support it a hell of a lot better. Their stadium is packed with 20,000+ Canadians as it is. Plus it would be easier to get to. Where they are now is a pain in the arse, with a lack of parking (last time I was there we parked on people's lawns who were charging $10 ;p )

Kanedax
14-12-07, 22:20
GOOOOOOOOOO BUCS!!!!

Even though we lost to Houston last Sunday the Bucs will still take the NFC South title, we're still 2 games up and with the Falgoons and the Panthers and the 49ers left to play I say we run the table end up 11-5 and play at home in the Wild Card round of the playoffs. Jeff Garcia will be back and our rushing attack is still potent, the defense had an off week last game so look for them to be fired up and ready to really lay some wood. ^^ I <3 football

William Antrim
15-12-07, 02:54
GOOOOOOOOOO BUCS!!!!

Even though we lost to Houston last Sunday the Bucs will still take the NFC South title, we're still 2 games up and with the Falgoons and the Panthers and the 49ers left to play I say we run the table end up 11-5 and play at home in the Wild Card round of the playoffs. Jeff Garcia will be back and our rushing attack is still potent, the defense had an off week last game so look for them to be fired up and ready to really lay some wood. ^^ I <3 football

I smell 1 and done. Bank it.

Kanedax
15-12-07, 07:32
In the playoffs yes i totally agree with the 1 and done. However the Offensive line has shown great improvement and with the exception of maybe 2 games the defense has been great, its a young team with loads of talent that looks to be realizing its potential. Needless to say I'm excited for next year. However with Jon Gruden as head coach you never know what youre gonna get.

dark_reaper
15-12-07, 21:46
Gooooo! Jags!!! They sign my paychecks and I am showing my support.

Odin
20-12-07, 16:29
Woohoo. Won a game finally. Tampa can keep to itself as the only ever winless team :lol:

nabbl
20-12-07, 16:46
jax won again...

garrard + jones-drew + taylor > all...

playoffs are granted :P

William Antrim
20-12-07, 16:53
Congrats to Miami.

Nabbl how do you think you're going to fair in the playoffs?

Doc Holliday
20-12-07, 21:55
www.blamejessicasimpson.com <-- this should be put in place :)

Congrats to the jags. shame about the pro bowl snub though.

Odin i bet your happy. you won one :) baltimore as well. imagine.

God i cant wait for the playoffs. if dallas goes to the superbowl i think im gonna try and get some how. credit cards are there for a reason.

gstyle40
21-12-07, 01:56
it is* :D

to call that crap " football" is an defamation for Real Football :lol: :cool:

if ur talkin bout soccer.......yea ok :/

as for rugby, all i see is a bunch of punters goin after each other. no skill needed, and not very much strategy involved.......kinda like.....soccer

the only thing those guys can do well is kick balls :D put them on the field with american football players and the rugby guys get smashed. americans are too big, too strong, and to fast....period

oh, and im a RAIDERS fan :D silver and black attack will be back in like 2 years :p all i want for xmas is a darren mcfadden in my stocking :D

Anthax
21-12-07, 18:28
American Handball is for fat people, they have to stop the game every 5 seconds so that everyone can catch their breath and have a rest.

hivemind
21-12-07, 18:33
American Handball is for fat people, they have to stop the game every 5 seconds so that everyone can catch their breath and have a rest.
Uh-huh. And soccer's for girls.

William Antrim
21-12-07, 18:34
if ur talkin bout soccer.......yea ok :/

as for rugby, all i see is a bunch of punters goin after each other. no skill needed, and not very much strategy involved.......kinda like.....soccer

the only thing those guys can do well is kick balls :D put them on the field with american football players and the rugby guys get smashed. americans are too big, too strong, and to fast....period

oh, and im a RAIDERS fan :D silver and black attack will be back in like 2 years :p all i want for xmas is a darren mcfadden in my stocking :D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Russell has done WHAT exactly? :lol:

How did you clowns let Randy Moss go, and trading for Lamont Jordan a few years ago.... Gallery the definition of ineptitude at Tackle... A bed n breakfast manager as your OC last year.... man the list is endless.

Of all fans of the nfl, noone deserves to talk smack less than the raiders.

Just Win BABY! :rolleyes:

GO SKINS!

Anthax
21-12-07, 18:39
Uh-huh. And soccer's for girls.
It's not soccer, it's football you silly yank. I'm not a massive football fan, but I can still appreciate how much more skill it takes to run down a pitch with a ball using only your feet vs running down a pitch with a ball using your hands.

dark_reaper
21-12-07, 18:45
jax won again...

garrard + jones-drew + taylor > all...

playoffs are granted :P

11-4 season, and there still a mall chance we may not make the playoffs, but I have a feeling that we might.

Glok
21-12-07, 18:54
football takes no skill!

NO football takes no skill!

NOO basketball takes no skill!

NOOO rugby takes no skill!

golf cricket bla bla.. Um they're all sports people, cut the shit. It's thinly veiled nationalism anyways.

hivemind
21-12-07, 19:00
Um they're all sports people, cut the shit. It's thinly veiled nationalism anyways.
I know man, that was my point. Apparently my sarcasm was once again lost in the intarwebs...

Anyways, they're different games, sharing absolutely nothing except that they're played on a flat grass field with lines, and the name football. To compare them is futile. Might as well compare tennis and golf, or skeet shooting with auto racing. Apples and oranges. But it does amuse me when Europeans get all hot and bothered because we call our silly grass game the same thing as they call theirs.

hivemind
21-12-07, 19:06
I can still appreciate how much more skill it takes to run down a pitch with a ball using only your feet vs running down a pitch with a ball using your hands.
More? No. Different, sure, but more?

If soccer players are so much more physically skilled than American football players, why isn't the NFL overrun with little Europeans? I mean, hell, the average salary for an NFL player was $1.1 million, and the worst rookie in the league starts at $193k. ( http://www.nflpa.org/Faqs/NFL_HopefulsFaq.aspx ) Seems like easy money to me if they're so much more skilled than the American players.

Dolt.

Glok
21-12-07, 19:06
But it does amuse me when Europeans get all hot and bothered because we call our silly grass game the same thing as they call theirs.We do the same thing.

At least our fans are better behaved. :lol:

hivemind
21-12-07, 19:08
I just don't get why they're even worried. Soccer is played worldwide, football by, well... us. Taken on the basis of the worldwide market, soccer is orders of magnitude more popular.

Glok
21-12-07, 19:16
Yeah. People from third world countries risk life and limb to come to America, but people from third world countries also risk life and limb to play soccer. 8|

Doc Holliday
22-12-07, 14:48
It's not soccer, it's football you silly yank. I'm not a massive football fan, but I can still appreciate how much more skill it takes to run down a pitch with a ball using only your feet vs running down a pitch with a ball using your hands.

you got nothing to add to this thread obviously so why bother???

people love to bash american football but at the end of the day some of us enjoy it. i also enjoy football so i wont slag that off so why do u come here slaggin stuff off i like that you dont? thats for anyone reading.

Odin
22-12-07, 16:16
Anyone who slams the NFL as unintelligent or not complicated really hasn't watched the game or seen the playbooks these guys got to memorize. They got to call plays in one line that sets the OL protection, where the running back is going to line up, where the WR's are going to line up etc etc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R4KIABkzBpI
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OZC_eGHB1jA

That's the Seattle QB and his actual playbook.

Like I said NFL football is chess with 250-330lb on avg players ;p

Anthax
22-12-07, 16:42
More? No. Different, sure, but more?

If soccer players are so much more physically skilled than American football players, why isn't the NFL overrun with little Europeans?

No one else in the world wants to play american handball, that's why

William Antrim
22-12-07, 17:00
Thanks for sharing that Odin, probably the best analogy of the game I have ever heard.

Anthax - F off out of the thread mate. Your unintelligent and simply futile arguments are not welcome here. This is a thread discussing a sport some of us are passionate about. Its not for 'tards to get their plus ones in.

Anthax
22-12-07, 17:42
Thanks for sharing that Odin, probably the best analogy of the game I have ever heard.

Anthax - F off out of the thread mate. Your unintelligent and simply futile arguments are not welcome here. This is a thread discussing a sport some of us are passionate about. Its not for 'tards to get their plus ones in.
Damn you seem angry, did jini own you more than usual today?

Doc Holliday
22-12-07, 18:07
Damn you seem angry, did jini own you more than usual today?

you must be one of his boyfriends. take wills advice and fuck off. i tried to say it a little more politely but from someone who recently joined the forum on that account your making a few waves arent you? you trying to take your boyfriends crown of most annoying forum user ever?

gg anthax. now do us a favour and throw your keyboard away.

hivemind
22-12-07, 18:12
Like I said NFL football is chess with 250-330lb on avg players ;p
That is, in fact, an excellent analogy.

now do us a favour and throw your keyboard away.
Except for the "R" key, which appears to already be missing.

gg illiteracy.

Anthax
22-12-07, 19:59
You guys have anger management problems, but I'm sure it would be so much worse if you couldn't relieve stress by putting on helmets and running into each other :lol:

Odin
22-12-07, 20:26
Everyone can knock it off from this point on. Niddy's got free reign to bash heads.

Anthax
22-12-07, 21:26
Just as we were starting to make some progress...

jk, sorry for any offense that I've caused during this discussion :(

MotorMike
24-12-07, 01:39
It's not soccer, it's football ......
damm Right !!! :D

everytime i heard stuff like "wolrd series" or wolrd champion in us sports i wonder against witch country mami or whatever us state it is they have won a match ..... Brazil ? Germany ? Argentina? Italy ? :D

I just don't get why they're even worried. Soccer is played worldwide, football by, well... us. Taken on the basis of the worldwide market, soccer is orders of magnitude more popular.
damm right again !!! :cool:

nothing can beat the world football championships the hohle world is watching this every 4 years .. well ok ecxept the us :D only the olypic games are bigger than that

an when it comes to fan culture just go to an match from barcelona or chelsea or liverpool etc etc for example nothing can beat that sort of vibe whats been createt in an football stadion :cool:
you dont belive me? .... check it out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7xvegPH_Lw&feature=related

dark_reaper
24-12-07, 06:17
Jacksonville is in the Playoffs! Woo hoo!

William Antrim
24-12-07, 12:16
The Superbowl is the most watched national sporting event in the world so I guess you can "understand" why the mediots call it the "world" championship...

P.s for anyone thinking the World Cup is watched by more people, you'd be right - but thats an international event. Equivalent to the SB is the Champions League or whatever.

When Janet Jackson had her "wardrobe malfunction" a few years ago roughly 900 million people watched it.

Pocket Rocket
24-12-07, 12:31
I watch it occasionally but never happen to watch an entire game because it just gets boring, they take tea breaks nearly every down it's ridiculous.

MotorMike
24-12-07, 14:02
The Superbowl is the most watched national sporting event in the world so I guess you can "understand" why the mediots call it the "world" championship...

P.s for anyone thinking the World Cup is watched by more people, you'd be right - but thats an international event. Equivalent to the SB is the Champions League or whatever.

When Janet Jackson had her "wardrobe malfunction" a few years ago roughly 900 million people watched it.

i didnt say that no one ecxept the US watching the superbowl , i do also sometimes ( even it is mostly at 2 o clock in the morning in germany :D )
but to call it "wolrd champion" is a Littel megalomaniac dont you think ? i mean it should called Us champion because thats what it is an staate turnament

the champions leauge is an internaional event too or better an european leuage

btw i dont know if you know this as janet pullt out there nippels know one in europe cares*g :D it was an footnote in the news*g :D they even didnt cerored it *g kids see more nudity at the loveparade every year or at night watching tv * hehe

but enough of that you like this sport thats ok maby i am not obejectiv enough because i am an football ultra fan :D an in germany or england football is more some sort of religion !! than just sport ;) an i think thats why we hate if its called "soccer" its like an sacrilege for us*g
if want to know what i mean watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEAJHC-UPGM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XAPK8mm2Nw&feature=related

William Antrim
24-12-07, 14:44
Number 1. Im english.

Number 2. Im a football fan (Nottingham Forest - I support the home team).

Number 3. You're missing the point I made by a freaking mile fella and I've got no idea where you're coming from but I will try to explain it nevertheless.

The World Cup is an international event, played by national teams. The Superbowl is a national event played by domestic teams - much like the oddly named "World" Bowl of old was played by teams such as the mighty Frankfurt Galaxy and the Cologne Centurions - domestic teams exactly the same as Manchester United, Ajax or Bayern Munchen (or however you chaps spell it). More people watch the World Cup, granted, but you're comparing apples to oranges as the saying goes.

I said that the "world champion" thing was a bit excessive already also, you need to read up if you missed it but I wasnt referring to you in particular... if I was I would have quoted you, so now come down off that high horse and drink this glass of milk, there really is no need to get all angry and derogatory; specifically when I wasnt actually referring to you.

thanks anyway. :lol:

Doc Holliday
24-12-07, 16:38
Home field advantage WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

How did the bears beat green bay? Who cares hahahah. :)

dark_reaper
24-12-07, 18:53

It is the most watched event on television in the US, not the world. If I remember, nealson media demographics only work inside the US.

hivemind
24-12-07, 19:48
For what it's worth...

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=574061

Top ten most popular sporting events in recent times.

1. 2002 FIFA World Cup Final (1.3 billion viewers)
2. Euro 2004 Soccer Final (153 million viewers)
3. 2004 Olympic Games: opening ceremony (127 million viewers)
4. 2004 Olympic Games: closing ceremony (96 million viewers)
5. 2004 Super Bowl (95 million viewers)
6. 2004 Olympic Games: men's 100m metres (87 million viewers)
7. 2003 Champions League (67 million viewers)
8. 2004 Olympic Games: men's 200m freestyle swimming (66 million viewers)
9. 2004 Formula One: Monaco Grand Prix (59 million viewers)
10. 2004 Basketball: NBA finals (25 million viewers)

That answer dates from 2005.

dark_reaper
25-12-07, 05:46
2007 superbowl had more than 100 million viewers according to nealson. Outside the US I dunno nor care.