PDA

View Full Version : What if Neocron could realize its full potential?

Fenrik
06-12-07, 21:44
I have a vision for Neocron. I've had this vision for as long as I've played this game (since 2001 was it?)

Part 1: Open Source
What if Reakktor began work on Neocron 3? However, this time the project would be made open source. Basically, the premise behind this is that Neocron's players would be able to work on the game itself. People would be able to modify the game and send their updates to Reakktor, who would then review the changes and approve them. Some things would be rejected or sent back for more work, of course.

Part 2: Private Servers
This part would allow people to set up their own private servers. The way this would work is a person would apply for a license to use the game. This would have an application fee of about $200. After obtaining the license, the person can host their own private server. In order to log into a private server, a person would need an active Neocron game account. The person running the server would have to agree to the terms of service which would include not modifying the code for checking subscriptions, and agreement to share improvements made to the game with Reakktor.

Now, I realize the many hurdles required to do what I propose. But I ask you this, would you rather see another shuffling of Neocron's current incarnation, or would you rather see the sheer awesome potential Neocron could achieve with the power of the players?

nobby
06-12-07, 22:21
ok Part one, they don't have enough staff to work on Black Prophecy AND Neocron 3

Part two, everyone would basically leave and KK gets fuck all money :\

Apocalypsox
07-12-07, 01:45
Neither of those where ever what i thought of as "NCs full potential."

Part one makes hackers, Part 2 makes KK bankrupt.

Brammers
07-12-07, 02:57
Open source NC - I keep hearing this, and I dont think it will happen, why? Well you expecting a KK to give away it's trade secrets that may be used in Black Prophecy or even Neocron 3?

As for the private servers, niceidea but are you realy going to pay out $200 and the hardware costs to run the cluster hardware to run NC?

megavoid
07-12-07, 03:03
As for the private servers, niceidea but are you realy going to pay out $200 and the hardware costs to run the cluster hardware to run NC?

There are always people that are mad enough and having a bunch of servers that are pretty bored with their current tasks... :D

Danny

Setlec
07-12-07, 06:30
in my opinion they could use open source programs to enhance the game itself BUT it'll take too much time to get that done. This idea remembers me Ragnarok online and that sucks cause the time to get an "update" approved by reakktor requires times too so it might never see the light... It's true that the game needs a new engine = new code = investment = much probably new coders, modelers and whatever that'll needed... i don't think that will happen in the next couple of years... let's wait for the new patch and the BP and then maybe KK would make an announcement about this...

Terror_Nonne
07-12-07, 07:03
1. Lets fuck BP and we get NC3... :p :p ;) ;)
2. Fly over.... and... see...
3. Lets fuck BP and we get NC3... :p :p ;) ;)
4. Lets play Star Trek Online... and...
5. Lets fuck BP and we get NC3... :p :p ;) ;)
6. tenitacle see... oh what a shit... money for:
7. NC3, no! NEOCRON NEXT GENERATION 2010.... ;) ;) ;) ;)
8. ''
9. ''
10. We fuck the RL again....
11. Time to die... we are ready!

8| O_o :D

Setlec
07-12-07, 07:24
7. NC3, no! NEOCRON NEXT GENERATION 2010.... ;) ;) ;) ;)
agreed...

Selket
07-12-07, 10:29
Hmm. Neocron Open Source?

I must agree that normal Software applications and Operating systems (GNU software, Linux) are really good to be open source because the need of much people can be pleased and everybody can participate.

But when i look at OSG (Open Source Games) then i cant eat so much like i would like to Barf. OSG are BIG SHIT.

You know why Open SOurce games live in the Shadows? Because Even the sun dont want to shine on them.
Making Neocron into a Open Source Projekt will please teh geeks but it will be catastrophic because cheaters and forks and this KK dont want.

Really leave the games to the Pro`s Peeps they get payed for. But i think that parts of the buggy code can be revealed in order to find Bugs.

Privat servers?

You are crazy! that will split the NC population even more.

megavoid
07-12-07, 11:07
But when i look at OSG (Open Source Games) then i cant eat so much like i would like to Barf. OSG are BIG SHIT.

Well, there are more OSGs than Tuxracer... :P

Ever had a look at Tremulous (http://www.tremulous.net)? Awesome Q3-Engine OS SciFi-Teamshooter, have played it a while... ;)

Danny

Obsidian X
07-12-07, 11:24
Both ideas may be of interest to the individual or a group of individuals, but of no commercial use to KK. Open source presents a large problem of exploitation - few might strive to improve the game via source code, but I imagine a larger proportion would exploit knowledge of the games inner workings to their own advantage.

Private Servers? KK would be in competition with other servers of their game that don't have enforced rules like their own servers? Sorry, what a terrible idea.

I dont think either of these ideas would realise the potential of Neocron for KK at all. They'd be good fun for hobbyists, but then thats not going to benefit KK as a business so why on earth would they bother?

Archtemplar
07-12-07, 13:53
Open source NC - I keep hearing this, and I dont think it will happen, why? Well you expecting a KK to give away it's trade secrets that may be used in Black Prophecy or even Neocron 3?

Trade secrets? NC's code is a mystery to themselves when they lost their original programmers. They barely know what the fuck they're doing with the code as minor changes seem to fuck everything else up. It would be interesting to see a programmer actually take a look and explain just how fucked the code is though.

Nidhogg
07-12-07, 14:22
That's enough. Closed.

N