PDA

View Full Version : Current state of Neocron and the Future

bluelights
25-11-07, 17:26
Hi

i just signed back up for 3 months having been away for the last year or so, i was an original born beta 4 player, following through nc1, nc2 etc ! obviosuly we have to thank KK that this game was made as i had over the years so much fun despite the bugs and syncs etc, they have done a really good job with possibly the best game ever made, however what does the future hold for NC ? i know KK have this other game coming out, but NC is not like a normal game there is no shelf life since its constantly evolving with life itself ! can we still see NC servers running this time next year ? can we have an update of KK current views on NC ? i sure hope they have not given up on the game. if they decide to give up on us i reckon it should be made open source so at least someone can take over the project, i mean if the game was left in the hands of hardcore fans who are also good coders it could become the real underworld game that we can make work for all of us !!

regards

Tickles
25-11-07, 17:40
They could try increasing the advertising space available within the game (bill boards, public service announcements etc), website, forums, and launcher and then maybe make the game free to entice a load of people in. Then make a reasonable profit (hopefully) on advertising.

I know for a fact, that many of my old mates don't play either because they don't have the cash, or don't want to pay for a game that still has many bugs, exploits, and balancing issues. They're waiting for them to be fixed. I'm sure if they could play for free (except from having to click through a couple ads every time they launch up) they would.

I can't imagine the 400(?) or so accounts running at the moment makes much money anyway. That 400 based on many people having multiple accounts...

I'm sure this has been said many times, but it is worth considering especially with so small a player base and a bleak looking future for this game.

Anyone agree/disagree?

p.s welcome back

jini
25-11-07, 18:14
The single biggest problem of the game atm is the lack of players, who in turn wait for a patch that was supposed to come this month. However, if populations are still less than 15-20% especially after that patch, their best chance would be to consolidate everything in just one server, in an efort to reach that number. Obviously by doing so, it means that every player need to be moved with what he pocesses

Seraphin[69]
25-11-07, 18:16
Indeed...

When a society release a MMORPG, it goes FREE after a period, but you can still "buy" goodies you cannot find ingame.

For neocron I assume the "goodies" could be the WOC and WOC 3 PA, WOC disks, drugs etc...

But they won't make neocron free [ edited ]

(I was refering to Archlord as the MMORPG)

Setlec
25-11-07, 20:41
we have talking about NC, like in this topic for years... KK have problems on their side (lack of money? lack of interest? or whatever...) so when my account will expire i'll stop playing NC and i'll keep one eye to see NC's evolution and so... I hope that KK could make a new client with a new engine and revolutioning NC implementing new features in game and blahblahblah...

the previous topics like this one are quite borring in my opion 'coz many players have already spoke their thoughts about the game. this is sad to see on a forum of you most loved game...

Dead Bodies
26-11-07, 17:51
There are no bugg's or balancing issues. Only Features.

Viva Neocron~

SUp bluelights ^o0^

jini
26-11-07, 17:55
The game is fine as long as you don't abuse its boundaries.
Abuse it and people quits. Simple as that

Dead Bodies
27-11-07, 00:40
{edited for u niddy}, {edited for u snow}, {edited for u plasma}.

aKe`cj
27-11-07, 01:49
{edited for u plasma}.

she's long gone ... and hopefully doing well :)

Dead Bodies
27-11-07, 18:18
she's long gone ... and hopefully doing well :)

aww RIP you big heart of metal armour you..

bluelights
27-11-07, 18:40
funny thing is, there are like 10 x more people reading the neocron forums then actually playing the game now, so KK should see the interest for nc is still there its just the actual structure of the game etc, pricing and coding really !

anyway im back for 3 months anyway ! how we would love to see NC3 coded from scratch :)

Okran
28-11-07, 15:58
When I log in most nights after 9pm there is only ever 6% population max. However, I re-subbed because I missed it too much and got sick of waiting for a patch to come out lol.

As far as I am aware this patch is going to move the Factions back to NC, but I doubt very much it will impact much on the population %.

II think it's now too late to save NC as most people have grown too tired of waiting for a patch to fix some serious bugs and un-finished balancing issues.

However, I will stick with it as I love the atmosphere of NC, plus there isn't another mmorpg like it. Even if there was tbh I no longer have enough time to level up and cap a character. I love logging in, RP'ing and knowing if I wana PvP I can without being at an unfair advantage because I'm not capped etc.

SnowCrash
28-11-07, 16:11
We are definitely aware of your concerns and fully understand that. But Neocron is still being supported and there are no plans to cease this support. We simply cannot give you any information about the progress of the next patch for the time being. All I can do is to ask you for a bit more patience.

Brammers
28-11-07, 16:30
We are definitely aware of your concerns and fully understand that. But Neocron is still being supported and there are no plans to cease this support. We simply cannot give you any information about the progress of the next patch for the time being. All I can do is to ask you for a bit more patience.

Oh please....why can you not tell the community and your paying customers WHY you cannot give any information.

When you tell us why, then I will consider giving a little more patience.

I think this is about the biggest disgrace I've seen in public customer relations in the history of this game.

nabbl
28-11-07, 16:34
Oh please....why can you not tell the community and your paying customers WHY you cannot give any information.

I think this is about the biggest disgrace I've seen in public customer relations in the history of this game.

because phone calls are expensive nowadays.

and maybe he has to walk upstairs for the informations. we cant force him to do that actually ;)

or the informations are in a small treasure box in a big cave with thousands of hoppers in it.

jini
28-11-07, 16:41
Since it's gonna take even more time Snow, please ty to address some other matters except just content. Take a look at the devourer for instance.. there is something wrong with this thing. And revise your drugs policy. Everyone is drugging nowadays. I can't afford to kill low tech overdrugged tanks in OPs that stay errected. Thats an offense to say the least

Faid
28-11-07, 16:45

QFT

Just tell us why you can't give us any information, infact, thats all we really want to know, I don't really care about the exact date of the patch or the content so much, but I do care about progress, if any, being made.

Do you understand by telling us that you cannot give us any information on the progress of the patch leads us to believe that their is no progress being made on the patch? Because that is the only plausible explanation that any of us can conclude.

megavoid
28-11-07, 16:50
I can't afford to kill low tech overdrugged tanks in OPs that stay errected. Thats an offense to say the least

Is Black Dragon selling V14GR4 now? :wtf:

Danny

P.S.: Back to Topic, kthxbye :p

jini
28-11-07, 17:07
Is Black Dragon selling V14GR4 now? :wtf:

Danny

P.S.: Back to Topic, kthxbye :p
kekeke... :p
someones overdruggingon his tank :p

L0KI
28-11-07, 17:12
My response is here...

http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?p=2106004#post2106004

SnowCrash
28-11-07, 17:25

Because of the reason I have explained to you several times now. We do not want to make false promises. This mistake has been made in the past and we have learned from that. And again, there is progress but I cannot give you any details on that yet.

L0KI
28-11-07, 17:29
And again, there is progress but I cannot give you any details on that yet.

Again???

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the first time you have said that you are actually working on it. Hence, this is technically an update.

This is all we wanted.

SnowCrash
28-11-07, 17:38
Again???

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the first time you have said that you are actually working on it. Hence, this is technically an update.

This is all we wanted.

Nobody ever said that the work on the game has been ceased. We have explained that the release of the content package has to be delayed.

L0KI
28-11-07, 17:41
You mistunderstand me.

You said that there was progress with the patch - which is great news! Several of the questions in the other thread were along the lines of 'Have you even started to work on the patch?'

The answer to that could have been yes a long time ago.

CMaster
28-11-07, 18:08
We have explained that the release of the content package has to be delayed.

Actually, you haven't.

The last mention of the patch being delayed is the statement that expected date was early november.
Now november is almost gone. The patch still isn't here. What people were looking for is an actual announcment saying that the patch is going to make november either, and ideally some kind of reason for that. What we have instead got is "no comment" "no comment" "NO FUCKING COMMENT, STOP ASKING!".

It's only in this argument here (nowhere else) you have stated that there has been some progress, and that there will be further delays. An offical announcement, ideally giving some more details on both the progress and the delay would be nice.

Edit (2): Again, this reminds me of a historical example that was similar:
Item Tracking. I can'tt for the life of me find the post, but in/around some patch notes at the time around Patch 131 (April/May 2005) a member of the dev team said "We hope to have item tracking active in the next week". It became reasonably apparent that Item Tracking was breaking the servers, and so never happened. For the next few months, I reguarly asked for confirmation of what had happened to item tracking. These questions were invariably ignored, even in offical Q&A threads. Finally, in august 2006 this post was made (http://forum.neocron.com/showpost.php?p=2011490&postcount=90), confirming that item tracking had been abandoned.

Garfield
28-11-07, 18:39
mby we asking the wrong questions so: hows the hemorids in space thingy? KK still working on that game? when comes our patch? any new screenies or vids? :angel:

PS.: if i get the job at the famous german travelagency wich has their HQ in KK`s hometown am gonna visit u and place a burnin emptybigsausagepizzabox infront of some Dev`s car. be warned FATTY is watchin you :D

Yelly
28-11-07, 20:28
as far as I understand patch is beeing delayed because of the new game.
If you prioritise that game we should get free playtime then.
As we pay for a game we should get something back for it ?
Kind of wrong in my opinion to take staff away from a game that ppl pay for to play.

Okran
28-11-07, 21:59

I work as a full-time professional database developer and whilst it cannot be properly compaired to game development, much is basically the same. So I can appreciate your situation to a certain degree and sympathise also. I have to keep my customers infomed of progress on the projects I undertake and sometimes it is very difficult to estimate a timescale but is something I always do. I always over-estimate the timescale due to un-forseen problems etc, so I am wondering why it is not possible for the dev team to even give a rough timescale (say, end of Feb 08). It is better to over-estimate a timescale than not even give one at all, but I'm not trying to preach here, only asking for a very rough estimate.

I can only summise that maybe 'da management' are giving strict instructions not to give a timescale. It does sound like your hands are tied and you 'cannot' make a comment rather than 'will not'.

I will wait patiently and eagerly, I hope all you others on here will understand and do the same.

Zebul
29-11-07, 00:48
Nobody ever said that the work on the game has been ceased. We have explained that the release of the content package has to be delayed.

Would it hurt to give an I'm sorry, or explain why things are taking a little longer. You don't have to give a date to your customers if you don't think that you will be able to make it, but at least explain what is going on to them. This game is/was great, but it's the only one where I've seen GMs talk down to and place the blame on the customers instead of taking an responsibility. KK should politely apologize for the delay and explain what is going on and where the progress is at. Don't mean to offend, SnowCrash.

TicketInspector
29-11-07, 02:02
Meh, I see the current state of affairs a glimpse into the future.

Faid
29-11-07, 02:42
sigh, my 3rd of 4 accounts expires today, now Im down to only 1 which is up next month. I was waiting on the patch to reactivate all of them, waiting to see if the game is actually gonna move forward, or if they really have just abandoned it for their new one, hoping we all still pay while they continue to tell us nothing about whats happening. Im getting tired of doing this dance tbh.

jini
29-11-07, 08:55
First of all, I completely disagree with all of you demanding customers that you force KK to tell you details about its project(s). It's usually the policy of companies NOT to reveal anything until a product is read and packaged for distribution.
KK made an announcement -contrary to the usual- giving promises again, and this is what you pay now. This is the mistake Snowcrash...
Instead of all this bullshit, you should have just given us a simple announcement : The patch is going to be delayed. We are expecting it to finish in x months - end of announcement, 2-3 months back and thats it. No other reason given.

Just because you guys brush your teeth with Colgate, this doesn't entitle you with free views in their business plans does it?

Matanius
29-11-07, 09:34
Jini, no-one is asking for details. The ONLY thing we wanted was an announcement on whether work was still being done on the patch...simple as that.

Okran
29-11-07, 10:26
Jini, no-one is asking for details. The ONLY thing we wanted was an announcement on whether work was still being done on the patch...simple as that.

... and here it is:

jini
29-11-07, 10:58
Asking questions like these, and KK waiting to answer is a mistake from both you and KK. Asking Q's like these is like me asking you what is your salary in your work. Their only obligation to you, is what is provided in the service they are selling and nothing more. If they do a bad job, people will simply leave, meaning they wont buy what they sell.
Rules of competition have long established and they aren't gonna change, no matter what Snow will answer or not answer to you.
KK have already got their answer and its loud and clear: populations are low, so they already know what to do. Pushing them to answer stupid questions, only leads to further delays or mistaken promises and further disappointment. That's why companies keep their business under a veil of secrecy.

The biggest and most colourful example is the iphone: everyone wanted to know details, but Apple kept it secret guarded in a vault, protected with bilogical virii (I'm certain :p) up until release, and look what happened... Everyone is speaking for the gadget of the century

L0KI
29-11-07, 11:05
Asking questions like these, and KK waiting to answer is a mistake from both you and KK. Asking Q's like these is like me asking you what is your salary in your work. Their only obligation to you, is what is provided in the service they are selling and nothing more. If they do a bad job, people will simply leave, meaning they wont buy what they sell.
Rules of competition have long established and they aren't gonna change, no matter what Snow will answer or not answer to you.
KK have already got their answer and its loud and clear: populations are low, so they already know what to do. Pushing them to answer stupid questions, only leads to further delays or mistaken promises and further disappointment. That's why companies keep their business under a veil of secrecy.

The biggest and most colourful example is the iphone: everyone wanted to know details, but Apple kept it secret guarded in a vault, protected with bilogical virii (I'm certain :p) up until release, and look what happened... Everyone is speaking for the gadget of the century

I can't see how ANY of this is relevant to the situation. It just seems like a random babble.

There's fanboi and then there's just plain naiive.

jini
29-11-07, 12:50
I can't see how ANY of this is relevant to the situation. It just seems like a random babble.

There's fanboi and then there's just plain naiive.
That, simply means that you won't get an answer from KK, no matter how much you whine/cry/beg or whatever.
Because this is what I read in these forums all the time lately, and I'm bored to all these recursive out of subject useless threads/cries/whines/questions. You don't like their service/game? Good riddens, just go play WoW, and be the 8th millionth player

DR REED
29-11-07, 13:09
That, simply means that you won't get an answer from KK, no matter how much you whine/cry/beg or whatever.
Because this is what I read in these forums all the time lately, and I'm bored to all these recursive out of subject useless threads/cries/whines/questions. You don't like their service/game? Good riddens, just go play WoW, and be the 8th millionth player

Sounds strange - but : it's simply true.

Jini is right in this point, competition solves all. This means that Neocron has not (maybe was Face of Mankind) any comparable competitor - - - until now.

This is not true for the millions of players from WoW or GW, they have chosen.

But who knows what comes next ?

Nullvoid
29-11-07, 13:46
Sounds strange - but : it's simply true.

Jini is right in this point, competition solves all. This means that Neocron has not (maybe was Face of Mankind) any comparable competitor - - - until now.

This is not true for the millions of players from WoW or GW, they have chosen.

But who knows what comes next ?

You're right, there is nothing quite like Neocron even to this day...but...while people can turn a blind eye to a lot of problems just because the game concept, style and mechanics of play are so good, things change when the game itself is actually very broken.

If the developers showed any interest in trying to fix it then fine, but they have made clear time and again that they will do nothing to sort out the netcode/clipping problems, they never even finished the big balancing project that 2.2 was meant to be and now they have the majority of their efforts focussed on BP. But it's all ok right because they are going to bring the faction relations back to how they used to be woohoo!! :rolleyes:

When the situation is like that, are we really surprised that populations are at an all-time low? You may be willing to continue to pay for the game but does it really surprise you that others aren't?

You almost make it sound like it is the player's fault that the game is in the state it currently is?

TicketInspector
29-11-07, 14:10

Right, well the way things seem to be, you're going to be the only one playing this game if the patch or lack of communication still happens.

There's people announcing that they aren't going to reactivate because of the patch.

Isn't this a good enough reason to bring out a patch or tell paying customers why its going to take longer?

Some people have been waiting since August for any kind of patch, let alone this specific one. Its now what practically December?
Thats 4 months without much information at all about whats happening.
4 months is a long time in game terms.

Almost everyone here on the forums think we all should be told what's going on... I for one am one of those people.
I'm outraged by the lack of communication, let alone anything else.

L0KI
29-11-07, 14:57
You don't like their service/game? Good riddens, just go play WoW, and be the 8th millionth player

Not once have I said I don't like the game. The fact that we are whining (as you call it - I call it criticising, constructively) is that we are passionate about the game, and do love it.

If you don't like the service, you don't quit and play another game. You feed it back to the ones responsible for the poor service - in the hope that they will attempt to improve it.

As they say where I'm from; 'Ya know nowt about owt'.

Does it not worry you that you take everything so personally?

Doc Holliday
29-11-07, 16:11
personally i think its an educated gamble, they hold out as long as poss without giving anything away and slowly other players drop off just like in poker. Or they call (an announcement) which might not be so hot (a pair of 2s for example) and they end up out of it before they have a chance. in the sense of out of it i mean that a big chunk of the pop thats left fucks off as well. maybe its better dont play because lets face it the ones who are left are either insane or just plain willing to sit it out bit longer. slowly we will drop off but not all together.

just my 50ps worth :)

Trivaldi
29-11-07, 16:15
Does it not worry you that you take everything so personally?
That route of conversation stops at that question. Don't take this further into a personal argument or the thread will suffer for it. Jini is walking a fine line in regards to flame baiting and i don't want to see anyone cross that line.

Jini, please be more conciderate of other users when posting your oppinions. It's possible to offend people without meaning to.

As for the rest of the contributors in this thread, we know it is difficult but we ask for your continued patience in regards to these issues. The patch is being worked on (http://forum.neocron.com/showpost.php?p=2106009&postcount=21) and Neocron is still a supported product.

Reakktor will give a full update on the status of the patch when it is possible to do so. A new ETA has not been given for the moment which we appologise for, the reasons for this have been explained by SnowCrash earlier in this thread (http://forum.neocron.com/showpost.php?p=2106009&postcount=21).

Your continued support is very much appreciated.

Triv

Matanius
29-11-07, 16:42
So the patch IS being worked on and HAS been delayed but you have no ETA for that yet, which is fine :) Great, I'm happy with that (well happy as I can be :p) That's all I wanted to know.

Thank you Snow and Triv for your responses, made me feel a little bit happier :)

Faid
29-11-07, 16:51
lael, this is kinda like you always whining about clipping and fighting tanks, why don't you stop whining and go be the 8 millionth player in wow?

@ Triv the reasons for the delay have not been explained at all by Snowcrash or anyone else. At least we are finally getting a response of sorts I guess.

TicketInspector
29-11-07, 17:03
As for the rest of the contributors in this thread, we know it is difficult but we ask for your continued patience in regards to these issues. The patch is being worked on (http://forum.neocron.com/showpost.php?p=2106009&postcount=21) and Neocron is still a supported product.

Reakktor will give a full update on the status of the patch when it is possible to do so. A new ETA has not been given for the moment which we appologise for, the reasons for this have been explained by SnowCrash earlier in this thread (http://forum.neocron.com/showpost.php?p=2106009&postcount=21).

That wasn't too difficult was it? :P
Atleast its a start :rolleyes:

jini
29-11-07, 17:14
lael, this is kinda like you always whining about clipping and fighting tanks, why don't you stop whining and go be the 8 millionth player in wow?

No. This is an Entirely different matter. I am reffering to a product at hand, something that's been on sale since last patch. I am "pushing" into what I believe needs fixing to the game and I protest as a paying customer I am and that's about it. I have acepted things "as they are" and didn't quit yet.
If they don't fix it, if more problems are in, then yes.. the road to WoW is open.

@Ticket: obviously they are aware of who is cancelling and which accounts better than what me and you see. Coming here and shouting is a waste of time. Yes the time to patch is huge, and so is the numbers of people already left. So they know it, don't they?

TicketInspector
29-11-07, 17:26
@Ticket: obviously they are aware of who is cancelling and which accounts better than what me and you see. Coming here and shouting is a waste of time. Yes the time to patch is huge, and so is the numbers of people already left. So they know it, don't they?

@You:

1) If they were aware, they would be changing there priorities and trying not to let the ship sink deeper.

2) I havn't shouted once on this forum, and I don't see quite how that's possible either.

3) They might not know it, because of what's filling their time. As you may have gathered, if Neocron was any type of priority, the patch would have been out on the deadline. Ok so they told us it was to be delayed, but they missed another deadline.

They are the facts. of life. :lol:

jini
29-11-07, 17:51
@You:

1) If they were aware, they would be changing there priorities and trying not to let the ship sink deeper.

They are aware of the situation, besides Snowcrash has already admitted it in that forum.
And by "shouting" I dont mean you

Trivaldi
29-11-07, 19:55
As this thread has degraded into much the same discussion as the "[Merged] Next Patch" thread, this thread is also now closed.

We thank you for your continued patience during the last few weeks, however Reakktor now have some information they have been able to release in regards to the patch content and development status.

You can find this announcement here (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?p=2106156).

Triv