PDA

View Full Version : Zboard -Gaming

Zheo
13-11-07, 01:16
Anyone ever used a Zboard, if so what's it like?

William Antrim
13-11-07, 12:19
Awesome piece of kit. Great for Battlefield 2 and games of that ilk. Never used one but I know people who did.

I still owned them though.

Logan_storm_03
13-11-07, 15:39
I got the merc one, the one you can't swap the keysets around since I thought that was abit of a gimmick. But I like it, really good once you get used to it. Makes going back to normal WASD hard.

Riddle
13-11-07, 15:53
I got the merc one, the one you can't swap the keysets around since I thought that was abit of a gimmick. But I like it, really good once you get used to it. Makes going back to normal WASD hard.

Much like any addon hardware. It's what you get used too.

When i used play CS, more than a healthy person would, i used a keypad setup with quicklink commands. Dam i was fucking shit hot, but go round my mates and use his WASD i was like noob central. In fact forgot how to equip shit because i always pressed "one key does all" :lol:

CMaster
13-11-07, 17:34
Had one, didn't really like it as it was too difficult to type on (in gaming mode) and I inevitably did quite a bit. Eventually poured water on it and it broke (in fact, pouring water on that keyboard broke my windows install. Bizzarley I have poured water on my laptop twice to no long-term ill effects).

There are better keyboards available is my feeling - although I'm not overly impressed with this Saitek one either.

james_finn
13-11-07, 18:31
My Saitek keyboard was one of the most comfortable keyboard ive ever owned, until I dropped a large book onto it and it broke. I have a razer terrantula now - its a nice keyboard but way to expensive for what it is!

But on topic gaming specific keyboards with the stupid extra buttons are pretty stupid, especially as you have to pay extra for them, give me a simple Microsoft intellikeyboard and Ill be happy!

/Delphi

ashley watts
13-11-07, 19:43
I personally think the logitech G15 is by far the sexiest for gaming and general use, Zboard i think is mainly for gaming so it depends on what you do more really.

Nymphette79
13-11-07, 19:58
Had one, didn't really like it as it was too difficult to type on (in gaming mode) and I inevitably did quite a bit. Eventually poured water on it and it broke (in fact, pouring water on that keyboard broke my windows install. Bizzarley I have poured water on my laptop twice to no long-term ill effects).

There are better keyboards available is my feeling - although I'm not overly impressed with this Saitek one either.

Poured??
I could understand if u had said "spilt water on" but poured??
Unless of course u have an electrocution fetish

Zheo
14-11-07, 11:15
I found something lI like rather than the Z board,

WolfKing Gaming Pad (http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=522389)

Tratos
16-11-07, 14:13
The company that makes Z-boards went bust didnt they?

As for me, i'll keep my Logitech Media Elite :)

jini
16-11-07, 16:54
I personally think the logitech G15 is by far the sexiest for gaming and general use, Zboard i think is mainly for gaming so it depends on what you do more really.
The G15 is a nightmare.
first of all it's expensive
then its bulky.
surface area of its keys is miniscule, thus leading in huge innacuracy and lots of typos.
Last, keys are coloured black, and (lol) letters are also dark on it, it's backlit, so if you don't use the leds to light it you see no letters. But the leds that illuminate this monstrocity are very dim, so there is CHnce that you cannot see the letters!!!
All in all a design failure, propab;y it's designer was doing something like fashion patrons or something.
Of all that the worst is the typos OMG!!!.

Nowadays I am lucky and use an Apple aluminum keyboard. This thing is the exact opposite of the logitech :p
slim, elegant, small, yet its keys are 30% ot 40% larger area!!! with smaller spaces between letters. Overall dimensions and weight are maybe 50% less, yet with double the precision and all. Avoid G15 at all costs.

William Antrim
16-11-07, 17:31
How often do you look at your keyboard when youre playing games though? I dont, even when I am typing.

The G15 is designed for FPS gamers - not mmorpg.

It is awesome for bf2 and UT etc.

Chatocron is a different ball game, hell its a different sport.

unreal
16-11-07, 18:13
Can't say I have Zheo, and meh @ gaming keyboards. I've used a standard keyboard for so long, and being able to type without looking at the keyboard apart from the odd glance, I don't need some huge round keys near my fingers to make sure I press the correct keys for reloading, switching weapons, or whatever. I can see the benefits of using one for those who can't type too well, but I don't personally see the need for one. Gaming mouse, yes, gaming keyboard, no. Forgive me for babbling on about something else now. :D

I'm going to pre-order a black Optimus Maximus if I can, the sexy keyboard with OLED screens on each key! After drooling over it months ago, it's now in production, but the stock seems to be limited because of supply problems, meaning you won't be able to get one until February next year or later. It's pretty costly at £750-900 each considering it's just a keyboard, but it'll be worth the sexiness when it arrives. I can't wait to get the Photoshop/other shortcut icons on it, let alone being able to play games where the keys say 'JUMP', 'CROUCH', etc. Definitely won't be keeping drinks close this keyboard. :cool:

CMaster
16-11-07, 18:21
G15 just seems stupid to me. I don't have a use for complex macros and a screen on my keyboard? Why, the 3 on my desk are enough... Next time I buy a keyboard (whenever I break/get fed up with this Saitek thing) I will finally give in to that little voice that has been saying "get an alloy keyboard" as my paitence with gaming keyboards is done. May have to check out what the Apple ones are like (although my instinct says "overpriced"). Also, check out this: http://gadgets.fosfor.se/top-10-most-beautiful-keyboards/

I've seen the winner for real, and have to say that it really is all that.

William Antrim
16-11-07, 19:04
My entire pc didnt cost anywhere near £700.... how the hell can you justify spending that on a keyboard.

CMaster
16-11-07, 19:11
My entire pc didnt cost anywhere near £700.... how the hell can you justify spending that on a keyboard.

I can't.
If I was decking out a really swish home cinema setup though, and had included a media centre PC as part of that, its the only product that has both the style and functionality for the job.
Still, you can buy a laptop (sorta) (http://laptop.media.mit.edu/) for that.

jini
16-11-07, 19:45
G15 just seems stupid to me. I don't have a use for complex macros and a screen on my keyboard? Why, the 3 on my desk are enough... Next time I buy a keyboard (whenever I break/get fed up with this Saitek thing) I will finally give in to that little voice that has been saying "get an alloy keyboard" as my paitence with gaming keyboards is done. May have to check out what the Apple ones are like (although my instinct says "overpriced"). Also, check out this: http://gadgets.fosfor.se/top-10-most-beautiful-keyboards/

I've seen the winner for real, and have to say that it really is all that.
easy, http://www.apple.com/keyboard/

As for the G15, what fps? i told you it has so small keys that its almost impossible not to hit the wrong buttons. I havenever used that macro feature it has, I tried once but it dodnt worked and then i was bored, so thats too much for nothing.

edit: Rofl at the steampunk :p

unreal
17-11-07, 19:34
My entire pc didnt cost anywhere near £700No comment. :rolleyes:
how the hell can you justify spending that on a keyboard.Simple, I can afford one with the wages I'm getting and the 8100 quids worth of leftover cash I now have in my account gaining interest. :D I won't be needing to buy any new hardware for at least 2-3 years as all my gaming rigs are sexily kitted out for anything the near future can throw at them, so I can easily spend it on a sexy keyboard. I was assigning that cash for buying a turbine and all the other gear when I'm skilled enough to build/fly my precious scale turbine powered Bell 222, but that'll be a year or two from now. The model should cost at most about £5000, meaning I'll have a lot left over. :D Might as well dip into a bit of it now and spend it on something else that would be cherished and put to good use. ;)

Jodo
17-11-07, 20:28
I believe the point Mr Antrim is making, is that NO keyboard is worth that price. For that money, the thing damn well better sprout limbs and give you a handjob every morning. :wtf:

unreal
17-11-07, 22:58
It's an insanely expensive keyboard at the moment, yes, but this "justification" business is dependant on whatever your affordability is. I have the cash to spare and I want one, because it's both sexy and nifty, and will come in very handy when using the various applications I run often, like half the CS3 applications, and makes gaming nicer when you forget some of the controls. In this case, I suppose everyone should be thankful that people are buying it at the moment, because if it becomes a big product, which it already seems to be doing because of the unique factor, the price will start to come down. Would you buy one if it cost a lot less or you could afford it? The answer is most certainly yes.

Random examples: People buy multi-million dollar diamond clothing/accessories for their pets. Some people have diamond toilet seats, solid gold bathrooms, etc. How do you justify this? Personally speaking, even if I had managed to sell my soul to the devil and own that much cash, I wouldn't want that sort of crap in my house. To tone that down a tad, crazy people spend thousands on their pets on clothing/whatnot in just the same way. It's crazy to me because I definitely couldn't afford to do that, plus animals shouldn't be forced into wearing clothes when they already have natural ones. :rolleyes:

PS. Sorry for unintentionally and briefly hi-jacking the subject of thread because of those responses. :D

Jodo
18-11-07, 01:28
The amount of money you have is no justification. I've had a look at it and I ask myself "Would I be getting £700's worth of keyboard if I bought it?", and the answer is "No".
All that's been justified is the existence of the saying "A fool and his money are soon parted".

And yes, if it was considerably cheaper I'd buy one, but only if the price came down to reflect it's abilities.

L0KI
18-11-07, 01:34
The amount of money you have is no justification. I've had a look at it and I ask myself "Would I be getting £700's worth of keyboard if I bought it?", and the answer is "No".
All that's been justified is the existence of the saying "A fool and his money are soon parted".

And yes, if it was considerably cheaper I'd buy one, but only if the price came down to reflect it's abilities.

Exactly what I wanted to say, and couldn't have worded it better. ;)

jini
18-11-07, 09:41
I'm going to pre-order a black Optimus Maximus if I can, the sexy keyboard with OLED screens on each key! After drooling over it months ago, it's now in production, but the stock seems to be limited because of supply problems, meaning you won't be able to get one until February next year or later. It's pretty costly at £750-900 each considering it's just a keyboard, but it'll be worth the sexiness when it arrives. I can't wait to get the Photoshop/other shortcut icons on it, let alone being able to play games where the keys say 'JUMP', 'CROUCH', etc. Definitely won't be keeping drinks close this keyboard. :cool:
Unreal, it's not really a question of price, but seriosuly you could adopt a kid from undeveloped countries with that cash for life. The keyboard itself is a useless exhibit of tech excess. I'll ask you this: keyboards are NOT designed for us to see them, hence the invented touch type method. How many times did you watch your keys while you play game? Once you home your fingers to the right keys you are set... you dont need OLEDs to show you nice little icons...
You better donate this sum to those that really need it :)

ashley watts
18-11-07, 12:39
Unreal, it's not really a question of price, but seriosuly you could adopt a kid from undeveloped countries with that cash for life. The keyboard itself is a useless exhibit of tech excess. I'll ask you this: keyboards are NOT designed for us to see them, hence the invented touch type method. How many times did you watch your keys while you play game? Once you home your fingers to the right keys you are set... you dont need OLEDs to show you nice little icons...
You better donate this sum to those that really need it :)

Haha damn Jini, how the f*ck did you read my mind ?

But im gonna check out that keyboard, never heard of it before :p

unreal
18-11-07, 17:58
@jini: I'll presume you mean Africa/similair when you say undeveloped country. No thanks to adopting a child who will go on a shagging spree (to put it bluntly) with all his/her friends, get aids, and die. That's the common story put short. To me that's a waste of money. I'd rather spend that cash by flying to Holland and living in a brothel for the weekend before coming home with a huge wad of weed in my suitcase, or indeed, buying this keyboard. :D If you meant adopting them completely, as in, Madonna style, by moving the child into my house, hell no. I'll stick with my two cats.

If there was any faith in the charities involved and the people the money would be going to, me and everyone else I know of would give spare notes to charity. Charities spend millions in donations on advertising and admin fees, with a considerably smaller portion going where you would expect it to, the people who need it. I'm not donating money to charity for some executive to live in a fancy London apartment. So we carry on sitting in front of the TV watching the adverts, and not giving anything.

I agree on the use of keyboards. However, even when I can touch type words, I still end up looking at the keyboard often, typically when looking at a single key. I can never remember half the keyboard shortcuts in Photoshop/other progs and rather than plaster my wall with text as I usually do, it'd be nice to have something digital to remind me. Big deal you might say. If it looks good, can customize it how I want the keys to look for every situation, and help me be efficient because of that, great. Money well spent for me personally.

I presume you all buy biros instead of Parker pens. Old 1995 model TV's because you can't justify the price of buying a large widescreen HD plasma TV. You have an old rusty Rover because you can't justify buying an Aston Martin? They do the same thing right? You can still write with them, watch TV on them, get from A to B in them just as quickly because of the speed limits/traffic. And of course, noone here has a Playstation 3/Nintendo Wii/Xbox 360 with a mass of games on the shelf.

And I disagree Jodo. The justification you're all trying to make here depends on nothing but an individuals opinion (and as I've said it before, price range). If you were a millionaire, you wouldn't blink twice at spending what is the equivalent of pennies on a keyboard. Similiairly, if you scaled that example down; if it cost little to you, in the same sort of price range as your current keyboard, you wouldn't hesitate to buy it. If they were free, everyone would have one.

There's not much more to say, other than I'll enjoy its sexiness when it arrives, and that I can't wait to make the keys blank for when people try messing about on this particular computer. Last time that happened they used IE, despite the large Mozilla Firefox desktop shortcut, and I got spyware. :D

jini
18-11-07, 18:19
Listen: me too I am a fan of expensive equipment, because I admire mechanical quality for an instance. So, If you can afford to buy a Pattek Phillipe, then go ahead buy it. Better yet, take a trip in Geneve and bind the time piece you prefer. Even though these are overpriced items, they do contain huge efforts of engineering and can generlly be considered money well spent. Im all in for that, but this keyboard certan doesnt fall in this category.

If you are a real photoshop pro, then you certainly dont need a keyboard to show you the ropes. In fact it will act as a distraction to your creativity skills. What you do need though is a mac :p

Last, I don't agree about donations at all (I mean what you just said). Basically, this is a conspiracy theory that exists as an excuse for some to spend consuming in every useless consumer item succesfull sellers throw in their feet. Of course a portion of the donations will go in personell wages and advertize and the like, how do you expect an employee to live otherwise? By stealing? Or go in a corner as a beggar? Personally I find people working in jobs likeGreenpeace, World Doctors and other similar institutions 100x more interesting than a pittifull salesman job. Also, many expeditions like doctors are offering their services for free as well, so lets just admire what they do and that is humanitarian work...