PDA

View Full Version : [OT] IP conflicts

Dribble Joy
29-10-07, 20:06
In the last few days there has been some IP conflicts occuring with my connection.

The house is currently setup like this:

Modem goes to 5 of the rooms and also a wireless router which I then connect to from the wireless card in my PC (my room is in an extention which was not wired for a network and I would need about 30m of cable to reach the modem).

I am the only person using the router. It is secure and I haven't seen any other systems on the list of connections on the it's setup page.
All the comps running straight off the modem are all 192.168.1.2-7 as one would expect, the router is 2.1 and I am 2.2, yet I am getting messages saying there is a IP conflict with another system on the network.

What is/could be going on?

Mighty Max
29-10-07, 20:41
Well it usually means there is an address conflict on your network ;)

Most time this happens when DCHP and non-DHCP clients are mixed. Don't do this. Fixed.

There is still the chance someone else connecting to your AP. WEP i.e. is not secure.

Dribble Joy
29-10-07, 20:44
Most time this happens when DCHP and non-DHCP clients are mixed. Don't do this. Fixed.
This is kinda what I was thinking (ish). I had no problems untill a while ago when one of my housemates messed with the settings on the modem without really knowing what he was doing.

How does one find out what type I have and which of the two is better?
(ADSL connection)

Mighty Max
29-10-07, 20:52
The DHCP Server (usually within the DSL-Router) should keep track of the IP-Addresses he gives out. Check the logs there. Systems using none DHCP do not get logged there. Simplier approch would be to check each computer and it's setting. If they are all Windows systems, just open the TCP/IP-Properties and look if there are any IP addresses set manually -> no DHCP

Another problem could be that you have two DHCP servers running (on the Router and on the AP) in which case you should only enable non-overlapping IP regions on them, or disable one of them completely.

jini
30-10-07, 08:34
Alternatively, you can turn off every other equipment except the router and start turning them on one by one, since its all in controlled environement. I dont use 192.168.x.x addresses since, they are really common, instead i chose addresses in the 10.0.x.x scheme for my intranet. And since my intranet is complex, with remote nodes in bridge, I even use static addresses.

Seraphin[69]
30-10-07, 09:11
Rofl and that's why you can NEVER login properly in Neocron eh jini ? :angel:

jini
30-10-07, 09:54
']Rofl and that's why you can NEVER login properly in Neocron eh jini ? :angel:
If thats the reason, then tell me why I could easily login for 5 years, adn I can still login in the days, till 20:00 :p
Internal network addresses are hidden anyways

Seraphin[69]
30-10-07, 14:21
Because good people start to log @ 20:00 and you're scared to fight them so you claim you have login issues...

You had login issues when I was fighting 2vs1 @ pepper park then you had login issues when we fought FUPU (2 ppu + me vs 2 ppus + 5 damage dealers)

Scared Cat ! ^^

jini
30-10-07, 17:24
On the contrary, I believe that this is a conspiracy theory materialized from my enemies, since I am so uber in figthing. They can't do anything so after 20:00 they flip the switch ... :p

Seraphin[69]
31-10-07, 08:15
See Jini ? Yesterday there wasn't any rude fighters and you were able to log in...

That just confirms MY theory : you're just scared to fight the people ! You don't have the slightest connection issue :p