PDA

View Full Version : [Video]Hacknet

CMaster
16-10-07, 16:17
Anyone remember my original virtual world video? (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=130648)

Well, about a month ago now (actually, must be more, haven't logged in for months) I was inspired to remake it, but actually at high enough resolutions to really immerse yourself in the weird colours and creepy music.

And now, Virtual World 2 is available for download. (http://neocron.linxsoft.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10&Itemid=2) (sorry about the filesize, it just didn't want to compress). Flash players likley available (and ugly as hell) after I get home.

As ever, comments, opinions etc desired.

nabbl
16-10-07, 16:20
as soon as im at home im gonna download it for sure.

are u gonna be the next sony vegas pro editor?? :P

CMaster
17-10-07, 00:00
Sorry about that.
Fixed, and cut the filesize down some more. Downside is the quality is lower than I would usually be happy with.

Anyway, go download and let me know what you think. Flash player versions should be converted in about 15 minutes.

Archtemplar
17-10-07, 03:34
lol, makes it look a helluva lot more interesting than it really is :angel:

Brammers
17-10-07, 20:53
Not bad!

Will there be a 3rd version when KK fix the hacknet models... and I'm sure I can find a few hackers to PvP with you, although it could be a long video with the current hacknet "balance".

CMaster
20-10-07, 20:18
No more specific opinions?
What bits/things about it were good? What things sucked (other than the fact it goes on too long now)?

jini
21-10-07, 08:11
Cmaster, h/n is very "sterile" and not much going on in there. Plus its also very confusing. You better focus in OP fights -if you can find nowadays :p-.

Glok
23-10-07, 04:26
I liked it. The music is perfect but I think a beat heavy tune would be better for some reason, like a contrast to the airiness that hacknet is. Did you avoid transitions between hacknet zones on purpose? A hacknet 'journey' might be cool.

Koshinn
23-10-07, 07:11
youtube? How much better quality is the real thing?

CMaster
23-10-07, 12:02
youtube? How much better quality is the real thing?

Are you requesting a youtube version? If so, why, there are two perfectly good flash playes built into the site. If you are asking how it compares to the version already on youtube - thats Virtual World 1, and this thread is about the remake.

The full version of the remake is in 1280x768 at 30FPS (720p30), with some, but small compression artifacts and high bitrate MP3 sound. Youtube is limited to 320x240 at 30FPS with lots of JPEG artefacts, resized to fill a youtube box. My site also provides half and quarter size flash players that maintain proper aspect ratio (youtube often doesn't), although still featuring the rather compression artefact heavy picture and poor sound of all flash players.

Did you avoid transitions between hacknet zones on purpose? A hacknet 'journey' might be cool.

Just wasn't really the impression I was going for. IF I was still ingame, I might have mdae a machinima version of one of my submitted dynamic runs.

nabbl
23-10-07, 12:10
to be honest ... i didnt like the vid myself.

- bad music... (bip bip bip isnt music -.-)

- bad scenes... (hacknet isnt that interesting i know :P)

- bad cuts... (would be nice when at some point the music fits to the scene cuts)
- bad quality... (downloaded the high qual version but it looked bad aswell :P)

- bad download speed (20 kb/s)

i didnt watch it to the end. i think u can do much better cmaster. try doing some tutorials with vegas :)

mabye im gonna do a lil promo vid with story at some time.. but at the moment im not sure if the game is worth the work -.-

CMaster
23-10-07, 12:19
to be honest ... i didnt like the vid myself.

- bad music... (bip bip bip isnt music -.-)

No love for chiptunes? Not a demoscene/retro gamer then...

- bad scenes... (hacknet isnt that interesting i know :P)

Yeah, not a lot I can do - and at least the first one had PvP in, the new one I couldn't find any of that. I do have some old op fight footage around that may be a video one day. We'll see.

- bad cuts... (would be nice when at some point the music fits to the scene cuts)
I tried to synch them all to the music. Which bits in particular did you think came across badly?

- bad quality... (downloaded the high qual version but it looked bad aswell :P)

Well, at my normal quality settings, it came out at 500mb in XviD. This seemed completely unreasonable for 6 minutes or so (look at the sizes of the MotU vids as comparsion). Then the source got corrupted, so it was reencoded to xvid again. The edges have lost a touch of sharpness, but there weren't any unpleasant artefacts that I saw. The original did look awful in it's low-res DivX though.

- bad download speed (20 kb/s)

I just tested and got 200 kb/s. Not exceptional, but reasonable. Don't know what your problem was.

i didnt watch it to the end.
Yeah, in all honesty it is too long. At 3 minutes or so the first one was good. This 6 minutes ish drags on, especially with the repeteiveness of hacknet.

nabbl
23-10-07, 12:29
hm .. no i dont like the music :P

it was ok for prince of persia 2d ... but that was long ago ;)

synchronizing the scene cuts to the music is always very hard. i think u missed it sometimes... i cant give u the exact time, im still at work.

xvid is a very nice codec... but its hard to get small filesizes there. the best thing is h.264 at the moment... but its much too expensive.